5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max (Spring) question - New to the Board

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 09:18 PM

I'm sure this have been asked before, so please excuse this new guy.

1. The struts on a Max mean the springs are on top. If I was to get lowering springs (Eibach), do I keep the same shock. Does it matter? I understand the double wishbone where the spring is outside the shock, but not sure how the Strut suspension suppose to work. Will I get that "Rice Car" bounce with the stock struts? Note: I have a Civic and I understand lowing, but again, new to the Maxima.

2. Eibach springs I heard are not "progressive" but rather "liner." There for it will not get stiffer as it compresses like Neuspeed for example. Then again, does it apple on a strut suspension?

3. Do you recommend lowering a 5th Gen Max?

My plan is just to reduce the fender gap a little, and firm up the suspension, while riding on 17s. Still not sure if I'll go with SE or GXE.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Old 09-04-2000, 10:17 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

1) There are no aftermarket struts available for the 2k yet. I do get that "Rice Car" bounce, but I don't mind it anymore because I'm totally used to it.

2) Don't know

3) I lowered it and love the handling. IMHO, it was worth it, but I don't recommend it to people with a week bladder.

I got the SE and love every bit of it... good luck with your decision.
Old 09-05-2000, 01:46 AM

tein

tein makes an aplication for our 5th gen max but it'll cost a arm and a leg, u gotta get it straight from japan cuz most bay area shops don't know squat.. on the app guide it said "cefiro" but then again it was in japanese so tha'ts probably y.. i have the jap catalogue.. look to pay no more than 1500
Old 09-05-2000, 02:19 AM
Wustylez

Tein

Hey, Mingo are you sure that Tein makes coil-over system for 5th gen???

Do we look for Cefiro application??If so, what years I should look for????

and if it doestn' cost more than 1500bucks.then it's worth to get it since cattman costs around the same and it's no brand new..tho

how about the dealers here in U.S???Do they carry cefiro application??

Old 09-05-2000, 03:31 AM

if they are nice,

then they would find a way to order them for you. i forgot which year but just look for the newest cefiro application. the only way ican think of getting a hold of the 5th gn applications would be, go to a book store and pick up a copy of option magazine and then call international and hope they speak english.. but if not then say, sumimasen (excuse me) ano cefiro no tein suspension arimasuka? and if they say "hai" then you're in luck, if they say wasabi doode. then hahah sorrie can't help u there. but most likely they'll find someone that can speak english. or if u have a jap friend then it'll help greatly too.. i personally havn't called to ask because i could just tell my friends there to get me a set when i come up with the money. but as far as the shops in the u.s. goes, if you say "tein" and they say "te what?" then tell them man u need to get out more.
Old 09-05-2000, 05:27 AM
Wustylez

TEIN!!!

if they are nice,
then they would find a way to order them for you. i forgot which year but just look for the newest cefiro application. the only way ican think of getting a hold of the 5th gn applications would be, go to a book store and pick up a copy of option magazine and then call international and hope they speak english.. but if not then say, sumimasen (excuse me) ano cefiro no tein suspension arimasuka? and if they say "hai" then you're in luck, if they say wasabi doode. then hahah sorrie can't help u there. but most likely they'll find someone that can speak english. or if u have a jap friend then it'll help greatly too.. i personally havn't called to ask because i could just tell my friends there to get me a set when i come up with the money. but as far as the shops in the u.s. goes, if you say "tein" and they say "te what?" then tell them man u need to get out more.

Hahahhahaha, Mingo you are so funny...
well, i have seen some website indicating that they were Tein's distributor in U.S and it's located in CA(southern, i guess) but can't find the website anymore..anybody?????

Give me some update about such coil-over..cuz I know Tein is way better than cattman's home-made coil-over...hehehehe

BTW, what kind of Cefiro they have in Japan??????

I know Taiwan has 3.0L Maxima and it's hella expensive,too....

Old 09-05-2000, 05:40 AM

yeah taiwan has the 3.0L max. japan has a bunch,but i don't know the motor size they are running. they have a diff injection system i heard because the fuel in japan has a higher octane level. in taiwan the highest is 98 but it's unstable the lowest is 92. and theres 95 in the middle. the cefiro in taiwan is the 4th gen max. they commin' out with the present day i30 in november. or so they say they will. they were trying to make money off of the maxima by introing the 5th gen max first with it's 222hp motor. it cost roughly around 140k NT. so that's i dunno divided by somewhere around 30.1-31.0 adn that's the price in US dollars. for a lil bit more you can get the cefiro, so the sales on the maxima sucked real hard so they not selling it no more i heard. the maxima is 100% imported where the cefiro is partially assembled in taiwan. everything but the chassis and motor. this makes it alot cheaper. and the boi rambles blah blah blah blah blah, cefiro, blah blah maxima, blah blah