5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Navi Bose Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:54 PM

Navi Bose Stereo Question

I was wondering if anyone here has swapped out the head unit in their max that has navi. I was thinking of getting the new Kenwood 959 with sirius and music keg, but the audio shop seamed concerned with the install due to the bose. If you have taken out the OEM headunit, did it require a kit to mount?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 06-18-2002, 05:50 AM

Is there no one out there who has navi, and has replaced the stock bose head unit?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-18-2002, 06:42 AM

Old 06-18-2002, 09:13 PM

Hey it looks like MaximaGirl02 had it done to her car.

HER THREAD

Maybe we can ask her... I think she sold her Max recently, or was trying to sell it for a domestic SUV monster

I want to do this too... but I NEED the sweet Navi female voice... I call her Max. Funny, cause I also wanted a Kenwood & Keg.

G
Old 06-18-2002, 10:16 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Dont do it Scott. Maximagirl was emailing me offering lots of $$ and products in trade for my stock bose. The stock bose radio retails for over 1K, thats the one in our Navi cars..... Its linked to your Navi as a single CD player..... Dont do it !
Old 06-18-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Dont do it Scott. Maximagirl was emailing me offering lots of $$ and products in trade for my stock bose. The stock bose radio retails for over 1K, thats the one in our Navi cars..... Its linked to your Navi as a single CD player..... Dont do it !
Huh?...lot's of $$$ & products?... Did she offer you S E X ?...

So you can't use the AUX-IN to allow the Navi voice through & automatically adjust the volume level?... DAMN how am I supposed to setup a Kenwood Keg in my car?

G
Old 06-18-2002, 11:23 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

Huh?...lot's of $$$ & products?... Did she offer you S E X ?...

So you can't use the AUX-IN to allow the Navi voice through & automatically adjust the volume level?... DAMN how am I supposed to setup a Kenwood Keg in my car?

G
My next mod will be a KEG of Heineken which feeds in through a refrigerated tube to my Vein ! .....
Old 06-19-2002, 01:04 AM

Kloogy, when you get the specs and the prototype up and running, I'd like to see it. Assuming it works according to design and the price is somewhat reasonable, I would definitely be interested in purchasing such a device. <GRIN>
Originally posted by kloogy

My next mod will be a KEG of Heineken which feeds in through a refrigerated tube to my Vein ! .....
Old 06-19-2002, 07:57 AM

I know that it retails for big $$$, but how often to you use your cassette? I have over 15 GB of MP3 music, and I want to be able to use them in my car, the Kenwood Keg seems like the only viable option to do so, and to do that I have to have a Kenwood head unit. So perplexed!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:11 AM

Haven't used the darn cassette player yet. I should really test it out one of these days to see if it works!

Old 06-19-2002, 10:13 AM

I love my cassette player, since I have a ton of old tapes I haven't heard in a while. I probably use the tape player more cause I hate going into the trunk changing the cd's. I wish they designed Nissan's navi like Toyota's.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:52 PM

Or like all of the 2003 Nissan/Infiniti line up (of course except the max). They all have in dash 6 disc changers, with pop-up navi screens.

And are DVD based instead of CD based.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anybody tried installing the 2002/2003 Navi/Bose combo in place of the 2001 Bose?
Old 06-19-2002, 04:42 PM

Nah...I doubt it.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by ScottG61376
I know that it retails for big $$$, but how often to you use your cassette? I have over 15 GB of MP3 music, and I want to be able to use them in my car, the Kenwood Keg seems like the only viable option to do so, and to do that I have to have a Kenwood head unit. So perplexed!!!!
Until Clarion comes out with something like the Keg, so we can control it from the stock CD controls... this is the only HD-based solution:

http://www.coolmp3gear.com/

G
Old 06-19-2002, 09:16 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by NYC2SD
Haven't used the darn cassette player yet. I should really test it out one of these days to see if it works!

Maybe I should check to see if it works !
Old 06-19-2002, 10:16 PM

Unfortunately I just purchased the Neo Car Player which works through an FM modulator. The Quality absolutely SUCKS!!! I am having mine uninstalled tomorrow am, due to the poor quality. It sounds like am radio recorded to an 8-track.

Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Unfortunately I just purchased the Neo Car Player which works through an FM modulator. The Quality absolutely SUCKS!!! I am having mine uninstalled tomorrow am, due to the poor quality. It sounds like am radio recorded to an 8-track.

Scott
Use the CD-CHanger's INPUT TO THE HEADUNIT (AUX-IN)... but that means you'll have to get rid of the Changer, unless you buy an audio source switch, to be able to select you music input (Changer/Neo) by using a remote. ($100 tops) It's not that hard. I've heard that the RCAs produce excellent sound quality... try it on your home stereo first & let us know

G
Old 06-19-2002, 10:41 PM

is the aux-in for the changer rca cables? Need to know soon, before I have it uninstalled.

Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 PM

By the way, when it is plugged into my home stereo through the RCA's the quality is pretty good, it is just the FM modulator stinks. I was told that there wasn't any way to connect it directly though the RCA's to the HU.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 PM

is the aux-in for the changer rca cables? Need to know soon, before I have it uninstalled.

Scott
It's a composite signal (same type used across the RCAs)... but it doesnt have the RCA jacks... it just plugs into the changer. I think some people have tapped into those wires here. You should be able to "tap in" like this:
Code:
changer audio output  \         ___
                       |-------[___]---------------Inputs to Bose
Neo audio output(RCA) /     audio splitter
                          w/switch selector
all signals are composite, but some don't use the RCA-jacks... you have to splice & cut & modify to get it to work. Not much work & not hard, if you have the wiring diagram. I think there's one in the stickies for 2k2 & 2k Bose.

G
Old 06-19-2002, 10:55 PM

It's a composite signal (same type used across the RCAs)... but it doesnt have the RCA jacks... it just plugs into the changer. I think some people have tapped into those wires here. You should be able to "tap in" like this:
Code:
changer audio output  \         ___
                       |-------[___]---------------Inputs to Bose
Neo audio output(RCA) /     audio splitter
                          w/switch selector
all signals are composite, but some don't use the RCA-jacks... you have to splice & cut & modify to get it to work. Not much work & not hard, if you have the wiring diagram. I think there's one in the stickies for 2k2 & 2k Bose.

G
I really don't care about losing the changer, so do you think I can do this from the changer end or does it have to be done from the back of the HU, sorry I am a newbie to all of this
Old 06-19-2002, 11:04 PM

I really don't care about losing the changer, so do you think I can do this from the changer end or does it have to be done from the back of the HU, sorry I am a newbie to all of this
It's probably easier from the back of HU, then you can put the Neo under the seat, or in the glovebox (where I wanted to put mine) if you get the wiring diagram, you should be able to locate the 2 changer INPUT pairs (L+-) and (R+-) Make sure its the changer inputs, and not the Navigation inputs. If you have a friend w/decent audio skills, it should be a snap!

Then if you really want to get crazy, you hack the Neo's wire remote & connect it to the steering wheel controls! Or get a PAC from crutchfield.com & wire it to your steering wheen controls & it will used IR beam to control the Neo... without hacking your Neo wired remote. SWEET.

G
Old 06-19-2002, 11:07 PM

It's probably easier from the back of HU, then you can put the Neo under the seat, or in the glovebox (where I wanted to put mine) if you get the wiring diagram, you should be able to locate the 2 changer INPUT pairs (L+-) and (R+-) Make sure its the changer inputs, and not the Navigation inputs. If you have a friend w/decent audio skills, it should be a snap!

Then if you really want to get crazy, you hack the Neo's wire remote & connect it to the steering wheel controls! Or get a PAC from crutchfield.com & wire it to your steering wheen controls & it will used IR beam to control the Neo... without hacking your Neo wired remote. SWEET.

G
I haven't been able to locate the wiring diagrams, any way you could through a link my way.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 11:14 PM

I haven't been able to locate the wiring diagrams, any way you could through a link my way.

Thanks,
Scott
Maybe... if you send me my CDs... you know what I'm talking about. (my cisco hotmail account emails) I also spoke to Shadyz & he asked about ya. Gave him the "green light" to ship CD. (sshhhhhhhh)

G
Old 06-19-2002, 11:17 PM

Maybe... if you send me my CDs... you know what I'm talking about. (my cisco hotmail account emails) I also spoke to Shadyz & he asked about ya. Gave him the "green light" to ship CD. (sshhhhhhhh)

G
Funny that you mention that, I have been burning CDs all night long (literally), getting everything ready to ship out first thing next week. But seriously though, I have an appt tomorrow am to have the neo uninstalled, but now I don't know, if I print off this post do you think they should be able to do it? Also if you could find the wiring diagram so I can take it with me tomorrow am, that would ROCK!!!

Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 11:22 PM

Funny that you mention that, I have been burning CDs all night long (literally), getting everything ready to ship out first thing next week. But seriously though, I have an appt tomorrow am to have the neo uninstalled, but now I don't know, if I print off this post do you think they should be able to do it? Also if you could find the wiring diagram so I can take it with me tomorrow am, that would ROCK!!!

Scott
I was kiddin, of course I'll give you the diagrams:

Matt93SE's post of Dixit's .zip file:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=60393

I think there are other ones out there also... I have to check. Maybe the ones above aren't for NAVI/BOSE combo???...

Lemme look for some more diagrams...

G
Old 06-19-2002, 11:37 PM

I was kiddin, of course I'll give you the diagrams:

Matt93SE's post of Dixit's .zip file:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=60393

I think there are other ones out there also... I have to check. Maybe the ones above aren't for NAVI/BOSE combo???...

Lemme look for some more diagrams...

G
Well I will let you know how it goes tomorrow

Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 11:40 PM

Well I will let you know how it goes tomorrow

Scott
I just asked a BestBuy installer & orger for the diagram/color codes... let's see if he can get it.

Good luck,
G
Old 06-20-2002, 06:08 AM

So what part of the Bose actually is tied into the Navi CD player and voice? Is it the head unit, amp or?? It seems like the front speakers and the sub both cut out when the voice comes on. So it simply doesn't just cut out the front channels!
Old 06-20-2002, 09:09 PM

I just asked a BestBuy installer & orger for the diagram/color codes... let's see if he can get it.

Good luck,
G
Turns out that when they installed it the first time, the installed the FM modulator incorrectly, fixed it today, and sounds pretty darn good. I am keeping it, you can beat a 20 GB HD in the max for $400...that's 400 CDs or 5000 songs at the touch of a button.

Scott
Old 06-21-2002, 12:53 AM

Turns out that when they installed it the first time, the installed the FM modulator incorrectly, fixed it today, and sounds pretty darn good. I am keeping it, you can beat a 20 GB HD in the max for $400...that's 400 CDs or 5000 songs at the touch of a button.

Scott
NiCe!... i want one too...

G
Old 06-21-2002, 06:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

G
Green Light! Green Light!

Shaydz
Old 06-21-2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

Green Light! Green Light!

Shaydz
Speak of the DeviL...

Yeah I also need the MP3 setup!!! along w/amp & infiniti speakers... maybe i'll sell my video system after all, Shadyz!

G
Old 06-21-2002, 08:36 AM

Speak of the DeviL...

Yeah I also need the MP3 setup!!! along w/amp & infiniti speakers... maybe i'll sell my video system after all, Shadyz!

G
You're going to need a foil cap and emp protectors with all the electronics in that car! You'll be setting off alarm systems and airport radars!

If you do sell off the video, what about your poor visors. They look great now. Not sure with the monitors gone.

Next thing you'll know you'll have the PS/2 cranking and be picking up kids for $5 a pop to play "Grand Theft Auto III" while turning 4000RPM's (talk about realism). LOL.

Shaydz
Old 06-21-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

You're going to need a foil cap and emp protectors with all the electronics in that car! You'll be setting off alarm systems and airport radars!

If you do sell off the video, what about your poor visors. They look great now. Not sure with the monitors gone.

Next thing you'll know you'll have the PS/2 cranking and be picking up kids for $5 a pop to play "Grand Theft Auto III" while turning 4000RPM's (talk about realism). LOL.

Shaydz
HAHAHAHA.... good one! I'll drive to the local mall & pick up the Civic-ricerz & charge them $5 to get on the PS2/Max Virtual Reality ride!...

Honestly, though I just stopped by the Yamaha/Suzuki dealer & the R-6 was looking SWEEEEEEET! If I'm going to be getting a sound system/MP3 player & bike... I need to fork up some serious dough soon! If I can't get some decent cash for my video mods, I'll keep them too!

Lemme see if anyone on the orgy would be interested...(BTW I'm going to swap my visors, with the person I sell them to)

G
Old 06-21-2002, 09:12 AM

HAHAHAHA.... good one! I'll drive to the local mall & pick up the Civic-ricerz & charge them $5 to get on the PS2/Max Virtual Reality ride!...

Honestly, though I just stopped by the Yamaha/Suzuki dealer & the R-6 was looking SWEEEEEEET! If I'm going to be getting a sound system/MP3 player & bike... I need to fork up some serious dough soon! If I can't get some decent cash for my video mods, I'll keep them too!

Lemme see if anyone on the orgy would be interested...(BTW I'm going to swap my visors, with the person I sell them to)

G
Just make sure the interior color is the same. Get another color and go for tackiest in town. You'd need a new nav area to get outa town where they don't know you. hehehe.

Seriously, there are a lot of people that run pc's to a TFT in their car for gaming, dvd's etc. I know, you are going to trick out your car and then dump it for the first M3 that comes along. And start electronically modding it and start the process all over...
you are just having way too much fun pulling seats, carpet, etc. and running wires all over the place (not to mention the surgery on headrests, visors, etc.). LOL

Shaydz