5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best and Worst of the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 07:20 AM

Best and Worst of the Maxima

What is the best feature of the Maxima? and the worst? Would you buy another Maxima?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:25 AM
jjs

well, this is a wide open question...

BEST: Would have to say comfort, size, and performance for the $$$$

WORST: Opinions will vary widely here...often paint related, crappy Nissan service, lousy stick tires, etc., etc.

Would I buy another? Probably not. I will keep my AE and enjoy for a long time.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: Best and Worst of the Maxima

Originally posted by LAMax
What is the best feature of the Maxima? and the worst? Would you buy another Maxima?
You will find a lot of people on here that have bought multiple Maximas.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:31 AM

The best: 2k2 engine, xenon lights standard, price for performance.
The worst: rear suspension, dated 4 spd automatic
Old 06-18-2002, 07:40 AM

The best: Maxima has the best friggin engine ever! Top 10 Ward's list and all that junk...

The worst: No crazy huge aftermarket support for the best engine ever. Not like they do for say...a typical Civic engine or something I guess.

-Frank
Old 06-18-2002, 07:44 AM

Best:
1) The smooth, hydralic-like power of the engine.
2) Quality interior - well appointed.
3) Manual tranny is an option - unlike other 4-door V6 sedans like Accord.
4) distinctive styling (this could be a bad depending on how you look at it - like from the back).

Worse:
1) Very poor service and support from Nissan.
2) Very soft paint.
3) Poor resale value.
4) Very soft paint.
5) Automatic tranny that dithers btwn gears too long.
6) Very soft paint.
7) Old-school design (beam) rear suspension.
8) Very soft paint.
9) Minimal road feel.
10) Very soft paint.
11) Poor product placement (too much like the Altima)
12) Very soft paint
13) Ugly backend - it scares the neighbors kids.
14) Very soft paint.
15) Bus-like turning radius.
16) Did I mention the soft paint?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:46 AM

I agree on the bus like turning radius

damn that irks me.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Soft paint?

I'm glad I've got a 4th gen.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:50 AM

Best features:
- xenon headlights
- silky smooth V6
- great interior
- great exterior
- pronounced solid feel

Worst features:
- shi**y gas mileage
- lack of lateral support on seats
- front drive

I'd buy another!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought my Max because it has a sweet powerplant. Best combined performance and comfort for the money. Also because people who I talked to who owned previous year Maxima's and even other models such as Pathfinder's raved about the reliability. I really like the looks of the car. If each of these factors stay constant and I like the bodystyle at the time I would buy another one.

That said, if I am making 4 times what I do now I would have to take a long hard look at an M5.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by FrankY2K2
No crazy huge aftermarket support for the best engine ever
Why mess with perfection when you don't need to?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:56 AM
jjs

While it IS a great engine...

Originally posted by Phydeaux

Why mess with perfection when you don't need to?
5th Gen 3.0 and 3.5---bad coils, fuel cut, MAF problems, etc. aren't actually 'perfection'...

Oh well, darn good though!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:30 AM

Best: You can get it loaded with every concievable option for less than 30K!

Worst: The turning radius, and the dealers!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Me....

Best Parts:
1) Engine
2) Available in a manual (autos plain Suck! )
3) Design (I am mental...I love the back end!)
4) Fairly few and far between...not many in my neck of the woods
5) My 2K2 HID's

Bad Parts:
1) Nissan Service.
2) Weird Stock Rim size (limit tire selection)
3) Nissan Service.
4) Nissan's inablity to recognize or address the bad service (umm Infiniti does it ok, why cant you?)
5) Nissan Service.
6) Paint issue
7) Nissan Service

All I want is good service really. Dont screw up my car when I bring it in to be serviced. Give it back to me the way I brought it to you. And dont try to rationalize the scratches, broken parts and that of the sort as "part of the process". I can do the same maintenance w/o the damage, so you should be able as well.

I have yet to find one in the Cincy area where something has not been damaged, wrongly addressed or plain just lied to about. It still makes me chuckle receiving mail notices and "coupons" for service by these dealers.

I would buy another one as long as they dont go to being huge oaf-mobiles AND I could find a good service bay. Based on the service bay alone I would not buy right now. This service stuff has to be costing them customers....right?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: I agree on the bus like turning radius

Originally posted by Blackgums100
damn that irks me.
i see you guys have not been in a chrysler! my friend can't even make a comfortable u-turn on a TWO lane street!

kafene.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:04 AM

I find that too many people complain about the Maxima on the forum. Every car is going to have problems and yes some are unique to the Maxima (slipping transmission, coils, rotors) BUT I will deal with all of that sh*t long before I choose something else. I have a Dodge Dakota Pickup as well and I "thought" it was the bomb. I needed a new car and decided on the Maxima. The car is awesome and nothing comes close to it at this price range. I am selling my Maxima (to get another one of course) and have had to drive the truck again. My impression now is completely different. It drinks gas, burns oil (embarrassing smoke shoots out of the tailpipe when I start it up), it rides like a f*cking tank, body roll, and is slower than a snail. If anyone is considering another vehicle besides the Maxima, drive a used version of that car, truck, or SUV and then tell us what you think. Driving new does not give a very good analysis of long term quality.

PS Try riding in ANY GM vehicle with more than 60,000 miles on it.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:23 AM

Re: Me....

Originally posted by Colonel
Best Parts:
3) Design (I am mental...I love the back end!)
I totally agree! Many car mag's rip the Max for it's rear end (tail-lights, etc.) But IMHO, I think the rear-end looks great. It's unique, and I love the circular round tail-lights. Maybe we're the minority, but I love the back-end as well...
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 AM

Hell Yeah Lumbee

I agree w/Lumbee 100%. I luv my Max, by FAR the best car under
30k. For all the people who complain about resale do some research. Anyone who knows anything about cars knows the Maxima is one of the better cars out there as far as resale goes. You want a good investment buy a house!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:13 AM

knowing that i can pull away from most cars on the road that cost about or just a little bit more, four door convience, interior package, the roar of the motor, like about 60mph and dropping to third(espcially now with the intake), my rear end, there's no mistake it's a Maxima.

Dislikes:
crappy, let me mod that, CRAPPY dealer service.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

everyone has mentioned the engine, interior suspension, etc etc

but they forgot the little things that make me love mine....my 10 loves

1. the interior clock that is readable in direct sunlight (unlike the one on my radio which is supposed to be)

2. FOUR cupholders and you can make 2 of them bigger for a large sized sport bottle

3. the sunglass holder....prior to the max I could never find my damn sunglasses...and now i feel like james bond everytime i pop the switch and the holder drops down

4. the hidden release buttons for the gas and the trunk..means the valet can't rob me blind

5. the valet key that won't open the trunk ....once again valet can rob me blind

6. the locking trunk which disables access to everyone but me and a locksmith

7. the locking rear seats ....once again if ya a$s don't have the key ya ain't getting in

I mention #4-7 because I had a friend (a very stupid friend) who cashed her check before going to the club....we parked valet...and she was broke when we got the car back

oh and #8 the second lighter element ...handy for charging up my pda when I wanna play tetris if I have to stand in line somewhere

#9 the powered exterior mirrors (especially when I get the car detailed and they push it the wrong dang way) i remember the days of manually moving them --always took me 2 days to get the view perfect again

and #10 the engine especially the sound of the intake with high rpms......absolutely lovely
Old 06-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Best and Worst of the Maxima

Originally posted by thicknes

everyone has mentioned the engine, interior suspension, etc etc

but they forgot the little things that make me love mine....my 10 loves

Many good points...of course most cars have all of those that you just mentioned. How about the Japanese quality? I think that deserves some mention. The car is put together way better than any domestic...especially the interior!

Sure, there are some gripes about the car, but of the 9 previous cars I've had the (dis)pleasure of owning, this one has the least "dings" against it.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Best and Worst of the Maxima

Originally posted by DrVolkl
of course most cars have all of those that you just mentioned.
but he didn't ask me about other cars...he asked why i like my max...irregardless of other vehicles offering similar ammenities, items 1-10 still add to my pleasure for owning the car

I need to find a smily that is stiking out its tongue at you

Old 06-18-2002, 11:55 AM
SoloMaxima

Best features: Everything except the paint

would i buy another..??
definitely

Old 06-18-2002, 11:57 AM

It a good point that the 5th generation Max is still built in Japan (they actually wear special gloves to protect the car - not the hands) unlike the next generation which will be built in Tennessee by good-ol' knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, US labor.

Something to consider if you are considering waiting for the 6th gen car.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:28 PM

I agree with many of your points, but poor resale? I could be wrong, but I paid $31250 CDN for my 2K 5 SPD SE and from various ads/Autotrader I still seem the selling from $28K $29K CDN.

When I bought my 2K, I was actually looking to buy a 97-99 used Maxima with reasonable mileage, but the prices were so close to new that I just got a new one.

In my mind, poor resale is a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I saw a 2-year old one at a used car dealership selling for $20K CDN. I think they are like $30 to $34 new.

Originally posted by Phydeaux
Best:
1) The smooth, hydralic-like power of the engine.
2) Quality interior - well appointed.
3) Manual tranny is an option - unlike other 4-door V6 sedans like Accord.
4) distinctive styling (this could be a bad depending on how you look at it - like from the back).

Worse:
1) Very poor service and support from Nissan.
2) Very soft paint.
3) Poor resale value.
4) Very soft paint.
5) Automatic tranny that dithers btwn gears too long.
6) Very soft paint.
7) Old-school design (beam) rear suspension.
8) Very soft paint.
9) Minimal road feel.
10) Very soft paint.
11) Poor product placement (too much like the Altima)
12) Very soft paint
13) Ugly backend - it scares the neighbors kids.
14) Very soft paint.
15) Bus-like turning radius.
16) Did I mention the soft paint?
Old 06-18-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Eric
I agree with many of your points, but poor resale? I could be wrong, but I paid $31250 CDN for my 2K 5 SPD SE and from various ads/Autotrader I still seem the selling from $28K $29K CDN.

When I bought my 2K, I was actually looking to buy a 97-99 used Maxima with reasonable mileage, but the prices were so close to new that I just got a new one.

In my mind, poor resale is a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I saw a 2-year old one at a used car dealership selling for $20K CDN. I think they are like $30 to $34 new.
You might see them listed for that much but that's not what they end up selling for. As long as you can see them in rental car fleet sales for dirt cheap, private owners like us will not see reasonble money for our cars in resale. I saw a 2k2 GLE for $15K (US) here in Houston. That is cheap. I'm trying to get at least $18K for my 2K SE with Bose, leather, everything, plus HIDs. I've had an ad on this board for 3 weeks now and not one single response - and I paid around $26K for mine.

As far as a Pontiac - that goes without saying. They are cheap to start with and I pity anyone who thinks they can get decent resale from those automotive equivalents of clown suits. They are turds when they are new, and unlike real turds, they smell worse when they are old.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:28 PM

good: the normal engine, comfort, etc.
bad: that they upped the engine from 3.0 to 3.5 the following year i bought the car!!!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:16 PM
OG and counting...

'94 GXE

Good Points

- Reliable as hell, unlike my POS Caprice
- Decent Fuel Economy
- Fun to drive factor

Bad Points

- Slow assed VG30DE with a timing belt which forced you to replace the water pump and thermostat every 60k miles

'02 SE

Good Points

- Still reliable as hell
- Fast as hell
- Still fun to drive
- Interior Room
- Climate Control
- I can sleep in it with no problem
- Fun to Detail Quotient

Bad Points

- Turning Radius equivalent to a Mack Truck
- Almost as thirsty as my Caprice was
- Bridgestone Potenzas ('nuff said)
- Gets more chips than Frito-Lay
- TSBs
Old 06-18-2002, 02:54 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: I agree on the bus like turning radius

Originally posted by kafene
i see you guys have not been in a chrysler! my friend can't even make a comfortable u-turn on a TWO lane street!
Not true! I have a Grand Cherokee, and it has a great turning radius. Better than some cars!
Old 06-18-2002, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: I agree on the bus like turning radius

True Triple...I really miss the turning radius of my Grand Cherokee. What I don't miss is the electrical problems, failure to start, window seal that flew off within the first week of owning it, indecisive transmission, etc. My 2k1 GC was a Limited V-8 with every option available. If it would have held up, it would have been my favorite vehicle of all time. All in all, the Maxima (so far) is the tightest, queitest, and most confidence-inspiring vehicle I've ever owned. It feels like it will go forever.
Originally posted by Triple8Sol

Not true! I have a Grand Cherokee, and it has a great turning radius. Better than some cars!
Old 06-18-2002, 03:34 PM

Good: What's not to like?

Bad: What's to hate? oh wait...paint chips
Old 06-18-2002, 03:38 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I agree on the bus like turning radius

Originally posted by 2k2Merlot
What I don't miss is the electrical problems, failure to start, window seal that flew off within the first week of owning it, indecisive transmission, etc.
Tell me about it. Before I sell the GC I need to get the computer fixed. It won't stop saying "low oil level" even right after an oil change. I can't wait to step into a Max.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:40 PM

The good:
1. THE ENGINE!...
2. Solid, well built Japanese quality. The car is as solid as a rock (Sorry, Chevy- if that truth in advertising law was ever really enforced, you'd be in a lot of trouble...)
3. Undoubtedly, the best "bang for the buck" in a sports sedan this side of an Infiniti G-35.
4. The performance- power, handling, speed. Man, this car just wants to over-achieve!
5. The comfort.

The not so good:
1. The TRUCK/BUS LIKE TURNING RADIUS!!! (Are you listening, Nissan?) Geez, our other car- a '97 Plymouth Grand Voyager can turn on a dime in comparison. Parking it it MUCH easier than the Maxima.
2. The freaking paint chips. My Maxima with less than 9,000 miles on it (and garage kept, and coddled with TLC)has more chips on the front than our minivan which has 69,000 miles on it (That seldom gets washed in winter and stays out all year round). If Chrysler can get the paint right.....why can't Nissan?
3. The beam rear axle. They did it right with the Altima. The next generation Maxima deserves true IRS (like they once had a couple of generations ago!). I knew this when I purchased it, though...

BTW, I have NO COMPLAINTS about dealer service at my dealer, Armory Garage in Albany, NY.

Would I by another?

Absolutely! I'm tempted to trade up to a 2003 SE TE for the more powerful engine and HIDs but with the next gen Maxima due out in 6-7 months I'll probably pass, depending of course on what the new Maxima will look like and what it will have to offer, performance wise. The Infiniti G-35 sedan also looks like it might pull me away from my Maxima - it is RWD afterall! Decisions, decisions....
Old 06-18-2002, 03:44 PM

Best:
1) Price
2) Acceleration
3) Reliability
4) Seating
5) Interior layout

Worst:
1) Handling
2) No Traction Control/Active Handling with MT's
3) Turning Radius increase
4) Rear Seat Divider should have built-in cupholders
5) Titanium finish instrument panel (prefer the older white/black instrument panel)

Would I Buy Another?
Of course, hopefully a AWD, 400HP S/C'd, Active Handling, 6SP.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Vod
Newbie - Just Registered

Best Stuff:
1) The Engine
2) The price you pay for the stuff you get
3) HID'S

Worst Stuff:
1) The turning radius of a city bus
2) Easily "chippable" paint

Would I buy another one?
Probably, if not, I might give the V6 Altima's a try
Old 06-18-2002, 05:31 PM

I will give it to nissan. The Maxima is a nice car but I will not buy another. I will go with ither a G35 or an IS300 or some thing along those lines but nothing amrican. There cars just scare me. (another reson for not haveing a 6gen max, Xtrra , or Frontier)Those cars are ither made here in the US and/or there sematics where made here...

jared