5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

would you take your maxima to a honda dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 10:00 AM
lcf

would you take your maxima to a honda dealership?

my girlfriend works at a honda dealership and we get discount rates for work on our cars. i was wondering what your opinions were about having a non-nissan mechanic work on your cars. is the accord/maxima similar enough there should be no real concerns, or are the cars so vastly different that having the honda boys work on my car is a definite no-no?

im thinking about having them put in my maxspeed springs for me. would you trust a honda dealership to be able to do this competently?
Old 06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Would completely depend on the individual ability of the particular Homda mechanic that would be assigned to work on your car. If he is fresh outa ASE school, he/she might not be to experienced. If he/she has been around for awhile and hasn't had their head stuck up someone's bunghole for the last few years, they could probably do the work(it's not rocket science)
Old 06-19-2002, 10:11 AM

Only if you know the mechanic personally. Will the dealer guarantee his work or is he just using the dealer as the "facility"? If not go to an experienced mechanic that guarantees his work!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:47 PM

Go to a Chevy dealership... they do about 100 warranty repairs a day!

If the work is warranted, there's no reason to be hesitant.

G
Old 06-19-2002, 11:54 PM

I beg to differ.... They simply wouldn't have the parts for your car. Even for a simple oil change I doubt a Civic oil filter would fit on a Maxima. Furthermore, I really doubt they would want to take the time to put on aftermarket items on a non-Honda car. Most shops are busy with warranty work or what not. Now its a different story if you know the mechanic personally and he is not too busy for a little work for under the table cash.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:57 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Would completely depend on the individual ability of the particular Homda mechanic that would be assigned to work on your car. If he is fresh outa ASE school, he/she might not be to experienced. If he/she has been around for awhile and hasn't had their head stuck up someone's bunghole for the last few years, they could probably do the work(it's not rocket science)
good point. except, it IS rocket science, at least to me and since i dont have even the slightest idea on how they "change" the springs, it is difficult for me to guage if its something i should entrust to just anyone.
Originally posted by NYC2SD
Only if you know the mechanic personally. Will the dealer guarantee his work or is he just using the dealer as the "facility"? If not go to an experienced mechanic that guarantees his work!
yes, it will be done "by the book." ive met the mechanic who would be working on my car. my girlfriend says hes the best honda guy there and they always throw him the tough jobs. hes not a newbie either, hes a big tough guy, looks like he knows wtf is going on. heh.
Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Go to a Chevy dealership... they do about 100 warranty repairs a day!

If the work is warranted, there's no reason to be hesitant.

G
chevy dealership?

hahaha... ?

Old 06-19-2002, 11:58 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

really..

they need a FSM and access to TSBs. past that, I dont see a difference. Our largest dealer seems to only stock oil and airfilters :/ they run across town for parts..
Old 06-20-2002, 04:24 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Instead of going to a dealership, try to find a good local (and independent) performance shop that specializes in things like this. There are a few of these places around me and the best way to find them is word of mouth on forums like this.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:00 AM
lcf

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Instead of going to a dealership, try to find a good local (and independent) performance shop that specializes in things like this. There are a few of these places around me and the best way to find them is word of mouth on forums like this.
of course, this would be my first choice. but i do not live in an area that has speed shops. st joe, michigan is not ricer land... hehe. ive been trying to find a shop to do it... i havent given up yet.