5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by y2kse
Well that's where you and I separate paths, Colonel. If I could figure out a way to do what this guy did for $2.99 and connect it to my stock air scoop, the story would be over!

http://www.540i6.com/heatshield.html

Talk about taking out the trash. I just LOVE ingenuity!
He he...I checked it out...pretty funny. But hey...if it works who really cares. I am more into the functionality. Plus it was a good idea, as those TC are really formable when heated...

You know if we REALLY wanted the best...we should relocate the battery and have a larger area for the box. Not sure if that is better or worse but have more room to play with? Whatta ya think? Not that I personally have the time or patience but how does the theory sound?

Originally posted by 02MAXSE
I was planning on doing that this weekend. I'll post results as soon as I have them.
Thats great...nothing like a little fact to interupt the constant flow of "maybe's"...he he he. For all we know the difference could be negligible.

If I may so boldly ask for a couple different measures:
1) after 10 minutes or so of city driving at a light of 30 seconds to 1 minute or so, check box temp vs engine temp
2) note how quickly both cool down after driving away from the same light.
3) drive on highway for a period of time and note the differences in the temps.
4) of course let us know the outside temp as well.

Since you live in Texas...should be fairly interesting to see what happens. Thanks for the test and let us know!
Old 06-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

That's great, Steve. Two questions:

1) Will it work with any HAI or only with a Frankencar HAI?

2) If you're utilizing an enclosed design like the pic you posted recently, will it be possible to drill a hole in the front of it and connect a tube to the back of stock air scoop?
i can't guarantee that it will work if you don't have a midpipe, but it should work with any intake/midpipe combo. maybe i'll let you try it out.

2. i am gonna drill a 2" hole and have a black tube run down underneath the car and face forward to scoop and direct air through the shield.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

i can't guarantee that it will work if you don't have a midpipe, but it should work with any intake/midpipe combo. maybe i'll let you try it out.
Way Cool. Shoot me one and I'll do that. I'll send you my address via e-mail.

i am gonna drill a 2" hole and have a black tube run down underneath the car and face forward to scoop and direct air through the shield.
Any particular reason you decided to do that rather than use the stock airbox or stock airbox/OSCAI combo? Just curious.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:52 PM

[B]
Way Cool. Shoot me one and I'll do that. I'll send you my address via e-mail.

Any particular reason you decided to do that rather than use the stock airbox or stock airbox/OSCAI combo? Just curious.
the stock air scoop doens't get much if any air, i feell. it looks like it scavenged for air due to the suction of the intake and didn't have a direct line of flow. i feel that it wouldn't get much if any air because it would be air that would have to be pulled into the filter from that location. i never thought about a stock airbox/oscai combo. this would have almost the same effect and look a little cleaner a think.

-steve
Old 06-21-2002, 05:01 PM

i never thought about a stock airbox/oscai combo. this would have almost the same effect and look a little cleaner a think.

-steve
I agree. Maybe you could offer that as an option to mounting a tube in the back of the heat shield.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:05 PM

I agree. Maybe you could offer that as an option to mounting a tube in the back of the heat shield.
i actually meant that the other way from what i sounded i think just the tube will look better then a tube and the stock scoop and another tube. it will clutter things up again.

-steve
Old 06-21-2002, 08:11 PM

i actually meant that the other way from what i sounded. i think just the tube will look better then a tube and the stock scoop and another tube. it will clutter things up again.

-steve
Roger that! I think I'll keep the scoop in place just in case my MAF sensor decides to take a header and I need to reinstall my stock airbox. I'd take the scoop off. But as I said in another thread, it weighs the same amount whether it's sitting in the engine bay or sitting in the trunk.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

If I may so boldly ask for a couple different measures:
1) after 10 minutes or so of city driving at a light of 30 seconds to 1 minute or so, check box temp vs engine temp
2) note how quickly both cool down after driving away from the same light.
3) drive on highway for a period of time and note the differences in the temps.
4) of course let us know the outside temp as well.

Since you live in Texas...should be fairly interesting to see what happens. Thanks for the test and let us know!

Ok guys I went to Radio Shack and bought a couple digital thermometers with sensors on a 9 foot wire. I mounted one inside the heat sheild right next to the cone filter and the other just outside the heat shield. Results are as follows:

The outside temp was 92 degrees.

I did some city driving for about 15 minutes and the average temp inside the shield was 98.1 degrees and outside was 126.5 degrees.

I then stopped for about 30 seconds and the temp inside the shield rose to 116.9 degrees and outside rose to 156.4 degrees.

I then got on the highway and the temps dropped pretty fast. Inside the shield they dropped to 94.6 degrees and outside dropped to 115.3.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:29 PM

I think just putting a heat shield to the left of the HAI, and connecting a hose to the stock air dam that you could hover near the filter would do a good job on its own. any more I think may be nitpicking.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by 02MAXSE

Ok guys I went to Radio Shack and bought a couple digital thermometers with sensors on a 9 foot wire. I mounted one inside the heat sheild right next to the cone filter and the other just outside the heat shield. Results are as follows . . .
Good work, 02MAXSE. Looks like your heat shield is accomplishing what you hoped it would!
Old 06-23-2002, 06:57 AM
Very sound, Mike

Now here's my twist on this

Is it possible that the sensor inside the heatshield is being cooled down because of the air circulation inside the shield? Given that it's sitting right beside the filter i have a feeling there's a lot of air movement going on around that area that's cooling the sensor down.

If that were the case, with the shield off and the sensor still in the same location wouldn't it still give the same reading given there's some air circulation to help cool things down a bit?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Now here's my twist on this

Is it possible that the sensor inside the heatshield is being cooled down because of the air circulation inside the shield? Given that it's sitting right beside the filter i have a feeling there's a lot of air movement going on around that area that's cooling the sensor down.

If that were the case, with the shield off and the sensor still in the same location wouldn't it still give the same reading given there's some air circulation to help cool things down a bit?
That's pretty twisted, all right. If the sensor inside the heatshield is being cooled down because of the air circulation inside the shield, isn't the air filter also being cooled down because of the air circulation inside the shield? And isn't that the whole idea?

Old 06-24-2002, 01:18 PM

Good work, 02MAXSE. Looks like your heat shield is accomplishing what you hoped it would!
Thanks, Yea it seems to work pretty good. There's a couple more things I think I can do to it to block a little more heat.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:46 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Neal728
I think just putting a heat shield to the left of the HAI, and connecting a hose to the stock air dam that you could hover near the filter would do a good job on its own. any more I think may be nitpicking.
I would not be so inclined to do this...remember...moisture. Always a concern. I would make sure there were enough "bends" in the tube to keep the moisture out. I have looked at a lot of CAI lately...Most are in "covered" areas or have bends in the tube to attempt to keep water out. So far I really like what I see in 02MAXSE application.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

I would not be so inclined to do this...remember...moisture. Always a concern. I would make sure there were enough "bends" in the tube to keep the moisture out. I have looked at a lot of CAI lately...Most are in "covered" areas or have bends in the tube to attempt to keep water out. So far I really like what I see in 02MAXSE application.
Moisture isn't a problem, Colonel. Hydrolock is. And it takes a little more than "moisture" to create hydrolock.

I don't see that as an issue in 02MAXSE's application.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:21 PM

Quoted Message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Neal728
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, about the moisture, if that was a problem then wouldn't moisture go from the air dam into the stock intake? I think a tube from the air dam into that general area could only help right? If someone thinks directing air like that would harm my HAI let me know. Otherwise I think I'll combine the OSCAI and air dam and put a tube from that outlet toward my K&N later this week. I think that airflow could only help @ low speeds.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:52 PM

How much hp are you guys projecting by making a heatshield?? Personally I dont see a heatshield worth the time. I dont see more than 1 hp gained. IMO a heatshield will only work when the car is idling. When the car is moving, fresh ambient air will enter the engine. If you are gonna design any kind of heatshield/cold air box do a design similar to this http://www.turnermotorsports.com/ima...ai_e46_lg.jpg.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
How much hp are you guys projecting by making a heatshield?? Personally I dont see a heatshield worth the time. I dont see more than 1 hp gained. IMO a heatshield will only work when the car is idling. When the car is moving, fresh ambient air will enter the engine. If you are gonna design any kind of heatshield/cold air box do a design similar to this http://www.turnermotorsports.com/ima...ai_e46_lg.jpg.
The link doesn't work, MAX2000JP. It's the last period after .jpg that messed you up. Sometimes you have edit your post to fix a URL.

This will get you there:

http://www.turnermotorsports.com/ima...cai_e46_lg.jpg

I think the example you gave is about what Steve has in mind. But we'll have to wait and see . . .
Old 06-24-2002, 03:02 PM

The link doesn't work, MAX2000JP. It's the last period after .jpg that messed you up. Sometimes you have edit your post to fix a URL.

This will get you there:

I think the example you gave is about what Steve has in mind. But we'll have to wait and see . . .
kinda here's the latest brain storm. the heatshield, 2 or 3 inch hole in it to accomidate a air feed tube, tube runs through the heatshield to a collector box, running parallel to the ground, about 2 inches tall and 6 inches wide, bolted to the splash guard. big scoop for air that vent up into the heatshield. when your stopped the heatshield keeps most of the warm air away from the filter, when you moving AIR AIR AIR, being fed behind the heatshield.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:04 PM

This will get you there:

Sorry about that...That design would be the only kind i would consider buying. It hooks up to the stock scope to provide fresh air.
They air pricey though!! I am willing to bet that it would cost somewhere around 100 bucks for a system like that.

Here is another example:
http://www.grandprixstore.com/Mercha...001/tepcak.jpg
Old 06-24-2002, 03:14 PM

Sorry about that...That design would be the only kind i would consider buying. It hooks up to the stock scope to provide fresh air.
They air pricey though!! I am willing to bet that it would cost somewhere around 100 bucks for a system like that.

Here is another example:
http://www.grandprixstore.com/Mercha...001/tepcak.jpg
the problem with that is if you look at our stock air scoops they don't get air flow, they are blocked by the hood. they scavenge for air from teh suction created by the stock intake, i don't think they are effective in moving air when they are just siting there.

-steve
Old 06-24-2002, 03:20 PM

the problem with that is if you look at our stock air scoops they don't get air flow, they are blocked by the hood. they scavenge for air from teh suction created by the stock intake, i don't think they are effective in moving air when they are just siting there.

-steve
Nothing is gonna really be effective when the car is sitting motionless, except a PR CAI. The stock intake scope should move plenty of air to the filter box. Look at how the intake gets air on that 330i. It is restrictive like our Maximas, but Dinan and Jim Conforti believe that it works well enough.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:29 PM

Why not rev the engine a few times to suck the hot air out just before launch? I can't imagine this can make a difference, or as mentioned before, just wrap the tube in insulation if you are that convinced that it makes a difference.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:33 PM

Quoted Message:

This will get you there:

http://www.turnermotorsports.com/im..._cai_e46_lg.jpg

Here is another example:
http://www.grandprixstore.com/Merch...0001/tepcak.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it just me or does this look like a trashcan and a vacuum tube? Hey if a trashcan would hold up, I'm thinkin I may take a trashcan, punch out the hole, and attach that to the air dam. Hmm. Good, bad, ideas?
Old 06-24-2002, 03:55 PM

Nothing is gonna really be effective when the car is sitting motionless, except a PR CAI. The stock intake scope should move plenty of air to the filter box. Look at how the intake gets air on that 330i. It is restrictive like our Maximas, but Dinan and Jim Conforti believe that it works well enough.
I have to agree with you on this one MAX2000JP. Once again, I think the way the hood fits near the air scoop gives the ILLUSION that it's blocking the scoop. But I truly don't think that's the case in either the Maxima OR the BMW. And it most certainly is NOT the case if you have an OSCAI.

I think you're on the right track, Neal728. There is simply NO REASON not to use the stock air scoop to provide an additional source of cold air to the intake. If you can figure out how to do that with a heat shield made out of a trashcan, more power to you!
Old 06-24-2002, 04:13 PM

Well I'm off to Home Depot to pick up a wet/dry vac hose and a trashcan. We'll see how it goes. For now I may just try the hose by itself, see if I notice a difference. What we need is this:

Dyno stock, NO mods
Dyno with Berk
Dyno with Berkencar, or full Frankencar
Dyno with above plus Frankencar's heatshield
Dyno with trashcan/hose
Dyno with just a hose

LOL I need to just buy a dyno setup :-)