5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:11 AM

Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima

Hello, just wanted to show everyone that's interested the heat shield that I fabricated for my Frankencar Intake. I've had it on my '02 Maxima for about a month now and it works great. It seems to keep alot of the heat out. It's made from a clear plexi glass/acrylic sheet. I can't decide if I want to paint it or not. Anyway, check it out and let me know what ya'll think. If anyone is interested I may be willing to fabricate a few to sell. Here is the link to all the pics.

http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/build...1&ACCOUNT=9246

Here's a couple small pics.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:08 AM

how much to make me one?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:33 AM

me 2
Old 06-20-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima

Originally posted by 02MAXSE
... It's made from a clear plexi glass/acrylic sheet. ...
This is probably a stupid question but I would have thought plexi-glass/acrylic would not be able to sustain the high temperatures normally found under the hood. Is this some special form of plexi-glass? I know they make kitchen baking pans out of different types of glass so perhaps this is that kind of stuff. Anyways, just curious.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:42 AM

I could probably make them for about $45. It's alot of work and the materials are kinda expensive. Just shoot me an email if your interested.

mzdaspeed@hotmail.com
Old 06-20-2002, 08:44 AM

Re: Re: Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima

It's high impact acrylic. I've had it on my car for about a month here in the Hot Texas weather and have had no problems. It's held up just fine.

Originally posted by ajahearn

This is probably a stupid question but I would have thought plexi-glass/acrylic would not be able to sustain the high temperatures normally found under the hood. Is this some special form of plexi-glass? I know they make kitchen baking pans out of different types of glass so perhaps this is that kind of stuff. Anyways, just curious.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:47 AM

I agree, are you sure that thing won't melt? What temp is plexiglass rated to?
Old 06-20-2002, 09:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Polymethyl-Methacrylate (Plexiglass) Physical Properties

http://www.boedeker.com/acryl_p.htm

150-200F degrees. Not so sure you want that stuff in your engine bay. It has a relatively low degree of thermal conductivity, but that number is rated at "room temp" of 73F degrees...doubtful that it is really doing such a great job at engine bay temperatures.

A much better choice would be an industrial laminate. Operating temperatures into the 400's and reasonable conductivity.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
I agree, are you sure that thing won't melt? What temp is plexiglass rated to?

Not sure what temp it is rated to. Maybe thats something I need to check into. Like I said before it's been on my car for a month and the last few weeks here in Texas the temp has been in the 90's. I also went on a 300 mile trip last weekend and it held up just fine. If it was going to melt I think it would of done it then.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:07 AM

Try to track down some Silicon Resin Industrial-rated Laminate. The key property of this thing which is good is that once formed, it cannot be reformed....in other words, it won't bend or warp and it has an operating temp close to 500 degrees. Another positive property is that they are flame-retardant...they will "put themselves out."
Old 06-20-2002, 09:08 AM

The way its positioned, it maybe receiving additional heat from the rear exhaust manifold and block fresh air coming from the grill.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:12 AM

FYI...Bodecker is in Texas...in Shiner.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:33 AM

I'll check into the temp rating on the acrylic that I'm using and let ya'll know. I'll also look into the industrial laminate. That might be better to use.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
The way its positioned, it maybe receiving additional heat from the rear exhaust manifold and blocking fresh air coming from the grill.
I was thinking the same thing, NYC2SD.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:44 AM

I'll check into the temp rating on the acrylic that I'm using and let ya'll know. I'll also look into the industrial laminate. That might be better to use.
That's kind of like saying that you'll check to see what temperature YOUR water boils at and let us know.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

That's kind of like saying that you'll check to see what temperature YOUR water boils at and let us know.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:21 PM

Plexiglass melts at the same temperature whether it is your plexiglass or my plexiglass or anybody's plexiglass. Physical properties of substances don't change based on who you get them from.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:14 PM

compared to a regular intake with approx 5hp gain, how much can be expected with the heat sheild?
Old 06-20-2002, 02:27 PM

0 hp gain...u just slow down the hot air coming towards to ur filter. esp when u running at low speed. Heat shield will help in preventing low low-end torque.

and frankencar doesnt just yield a 5hp gain...it actually go up to 10hp gain. the owner did a dyno.

Originally posted by jconway
compared to a regular intake with approx 5hp gain, how much can be expected with the heat sheild?
one thing that I would consider is that if there is enough space for the mid pipe and the shield. too close might make them contact and vibrates the MAF...which leads to one of the many possible causes of MAF failure.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:15 PM

OK. Here's my question. If a heat shield prevents the air filter from ingesting hot air, does it inadvertantly prevent the air filter from ingesting cold air as well? Think about it. The way hot air is removed is when the car is moving and cold air circulates under the hood. If you put something on or around the air filter that slows down or prevents cold air from circulating around it, what have you accomplished?

Steve's idea of introducing a 2" diameter tube to provide cold air to the intake is interesting. We'll see if that really makes a difference.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:30 PM

if the cold air source is blocked...than I will see the filter might not pick up as much cold air as before. y2kse.....I think you are making things too complicated and I know it is all in ur head recently The hard part about this task is where we are going to insert the heatshield. I would say a good position would be giving the filter as much space as possible and also a good opening for cold air source. hope someone can do a temp study w/ and w/o the shield.

Steve's idea of a cold air duct is good at lowering engine bay temp once the car start to pick up the speed. But from a dead stop, I doubt it does much....I think that's why he wanna combo a heat shield with it.

Originally posted by y2kse
OK. Here's my question. If a heat shield prevents the air filter from ingesting hot air, does it inadvertantly prevent the air filter from ingesting cold air as well? Think about it. The way hot air is removed is when the car is moving and cold air circulates under the hood. If you put something on or around the air filter that slows down or prevents cold air from circulating around it, what have you accomplished?

Steve's idea of introducing a 2" diameter tube to provide cold air to the intake is interesting. We'll see if that really makes a difference.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Does this heatshield truely make any difference? The air in the CIA isn't exposed to this heat source for very long, and really doesn't time absorb the heat (Unless maybe the instant off the line when the volume flow is low).

The reason I say this is in regards to the design of radiators. The grill and misc stuff infront of it actually serves the purpous of slowing down the airflow past the radiator. It was found that high speed airflow doesn't allow a good transffer of heat.

The Max probably draws about 340cu?feet of air a minute under WOT. Roughly ~? 60~80mph flow velocity down the pipe?
Old 06-20-2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by spaaz14
Does this heatshield truely make any difference? The air in the CIA isn't exposed to this heat source for very long, and really doesn't time absorb the heat (Unless maybe the instant off the line when the volume flow is low).
I think the primary purpose of the heat shield is for precisely that situation...off the line when the air flow is low or non-existant. The loss of power, low-end torque, off the line is what everybody is trying to prevent.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:40 PM

Well it's fun to conjecture about all this. But as [maxi-overdose] said, it's all in my head until somebody builds a heat shield and tests it on a dyno or, better yet, the track!
Old 06-20-2002, 07:17 PM

I think a cool air tube providing cool air to an enclosed box combined with heat wrap would be the best bet (I suppose a shield would work too, but not as effectively).

This is my stock setup on my Volvo and I am astonished as to how cold the air is at the intake manifold. The air is taken from a scoop above the radiator and is routed to the stock airbox, then to the turbo, the intercooler, and finally the TB. I have heat-wrapped the tubing from the intake scoop to the airbox, from the airbox to the turbo, then from the intercooler to the TB. On a cool night, after a vigorous 30 mile drive home, I could place my hand on the intake manifold and leave it there. Even after whooping a WRX (didn't know how to launch and had a 300+ lb. passenger..how could you not pass that up?), the manifold was cool to the touch. I honestly believe this is the sole reason that my T5 does not ping, or so much as give me the overboost code, at 15 psi (I have been told by many Volvo owners that we cannot go above 12 psi on US pump gas (UK has 98 octane on the pump...sons a beeyotches)).

Something to think about...
Old 06-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Steve's idea of introducing a 2" diameter tube to provide cold air to the intake is interesting.
This design does also...did anybody notice he left the existing "scoop" from the original airbox in there? Its no different than Steves in principal. Steve draws from the bottom..this guy from the top.... so why are we saying it "blocks" cold air?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

. . . did anybody notice he left the existing "scoop" from the original airbox in there? Its no different than Steves in principal. Steve draws from the bottom..this guy from the top.... so why are we saying it "blocks" cold air?
It couldn't block cold air, Colonel. If it did, the engine wouldn't run with the stock airbox installed!

Why intake manufacturers would rather route tubing over, under and around the engine looking for a source of cold air when that source is sitting right under their noses and doesn't cost them a dime is a complete mystery to me. Talk about reinventing the wheel . . .

Whoever's first to come up with a heat shield that uses the stock air scoop to deliver cold air to the filter will definitely have a winner on their hands. And if that's not enough, consider this. Once you've got the air scoop providing cold air to the filter, you'll be able to use your OSCAI to increase the flow. If anyone thinks they can outdo THAT combination, I'd suggest they're sadly mistaken.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:39 AM

Whoever's first to come up with a heat shield that uses the stock air scoop to deliver cold air to the filter will definitely have a winner on their hands.

If you saw the pics I posted you would see that I "DID" use the stock air scoop to deliver cold air to the filter.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:47 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

If you saw the pics I posted you would see that I "DID" use the stock air scoop to deliver cold air to the filter.
I know...that is why I am confused about all this "blocked" talk. Unless they are wanting to derive cold air elsewhere?

I dont know about the heat soak of the material being used or if it indeed makes any difference or not, but I do know that if you look at the later pictures, when you install the Ram Tube to the TB, you will notice that the stock scoop is very visable and incorporated into your design.

I was going to show the exact pic but I think your bandwidth has been exceeded or the pics removed...?
Old 06-21-2002, 07:50 AM

I know...that is why I am confused about all this "blocked" talk. Unless they are wanting to derive cold air elsewhere?

I dont know about the heat soak of the material being used or if it indeed makes any difference or not, but I do know that if you look at the later pictures, when you install the Ram Tube to the TB, you will notice that the stock scoop is very visable and incorporated into your design.

I was going to show the exact pic but I think your bandwidth has been exceeded or the pics removed...?
The pics should still be there, I think the site just went down. Maybe it will come back up later.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:51 AM

Yes, I did see that 02MAXSE. Simply leaving the OEM air scoop in place will deliver some cold air to the filter when the vehicle is moving. That's why I left mine in place. But what I had in mind is something more enclosed than your heat shield . . . something along the line of Steve's prototype design. If you look at it, you'll see that the fresh air source enters from the rear of the shield. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why not attach the stock air scoop to the shield and let air enter from the front? Of if Steve absolutely, positively has to have cold air enter the shield from the rear, why not connect it to the stock air scoop as well and have cold air enter from both directions?

I'm prepared to be wrong about this if anyone can explain to me the fault in my thinking. Batter up!
Old 06-21-2002, 08:05 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yes, I did see that 02MAXSE. Simply leaving the OEM air scoop in place will deliver some cold air to the filter when the vehicle is moving. That's why I left mine in place. But what I had in mind is something more enclosed than your heat shield . . . something along the line of Steve's prototype design. If you look at it, you'll see that the fresh air source enters from the rear of the shield. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why not attach the stock air scoop to the shield and let air enter from the front? Of if Steve absolutely, positively has to have cold air enter the shield from the rear, why not connect it to the stock air scoop as well and have cold air enter from both directions?

I'm prepared to be wrong about this if anyone can explain the fault in my thinking. Batter up!
[Takes a swing] I agree with it in part...but not the part you are. My thoughts are get the "cold" air in the box as soon as possible.

IF you run the tube further throught the engine bay, you will be dealing with heat soak of that air supply tube. If the box is feed cold air...really it should not matter where, as I dont think any testing has been done on the patterns of airflow within our theoritical box. So if he feeds it in from the back...ok no biggie. But if he is running supply tubing from the bottom over the tranny and then into the back of the box....seems like more heat can be absorbed?

If you can use the front air scoop and just "jam" it into the front you might have cooler air more consistantly. Plus depending on the length of the supply tube, you might even be able to suck the cold air from the tube. But I dont know the air movement patterns and such to even promote this as anything more than an idea. [/Takes a swing]
Old 06-21-2002, 08:08 AM

[Takes a swing] I agree with it in part...
We appear to be on the same team, Colonel. You've just provided one more good reason to use the stock air scoop to deliver fresh air to a fully or partially enclosed heat shield. Thanks!

This much I will say. If Steve hasn't figured out a way to connect the stock air scoop to his heat shield by the time he's ready to go into production, that will be the first thing I mod when I get mine.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:22 AM

I think 02MAXSE has got the right idea. Two points for creativity. I'd like to hear other's feedback about his design if he builds some of those boxes for anybody else. I just voiced my recommendation that he change materials to something with a melting point a little higher up the thermometer.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by MichaelAE
I think 02MAXSE has got the right idea. Two points for creativity. I'd like to hear other's feedback about his design if he builds some of those boxes for anybody else. I just voiced my recommendation that he change materials to something with a melting point a little higher up the thermometer.
Yup...I would like the person to mount a temp point inside by the intake and one just a couple inches from the outside of the box. That within itself should give us testing point. I am interested in his design on the simple principal of how sharp it looked and time was spent on the design.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:35 AM

I have a question, mainly due to my inexperience (but you have to learn some how). This heat sheild creates more of a box. I'm wondering the effect of a sheild surrounding the intake like the ones made by Injen. How does it vary, and how much performance is lost even though it doesn't absorb as much heat?
-jc
Old 06-21-2002, 08:37 AM

Yup...I would like the person to mount a temp point inside by the intake and one just a couple inches from the outside of the box.
I was planning on doing that this weekend. I'll post results as soon as I have them.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:41 AM

I am interested in his design on the simple principal of how sharp it looked . . .
Well that's where you and I separate paths, Colonel. If I could figure out a way to do what this guy did for $2.99 and connect it to my stock air scoop, the story would be over!

http://www.540i6.com/heatshield.html

Talk about taking out the trash. I just LOVE ingenuity!
Old 06-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

mine should be otu soon for about 25 bucks.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
mine should be out soon for about 25 bucks.
That's great, Steve. Two questions:

1) Will it work with any HAI or only with a Frankencar HAI?

2) If you're utilizing an enclosed design like the pic you posted recently, will it be possible to drill a hole in the front of it and connect a tube to the back of stock air scoop?

Quick Reply: Check out my Heat Shield for '02 Maxima