5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What brand gas is best?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 02:33 PM

What brand gas is best?

Just wondering what brand of gas everyone is using. Since mine is still new I haven't had enough fillups to test. I've tried Mobil and Amoco numerous times and it seems as though my 2K2 GLE runs better on Amoco.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What brand gas is best?

do a search...
I would go for Chevron.

Originally posted by Virus
Just wondering what brand of gas everyone is using. Since mine is still new I haven't had enough fillups to test. I've tried Mobil and Amoco numerous times and it seems as though my 2K2 GLE runs better on Amoco.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

90% of the time I use Exxon.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:46 PM

according to....

a recent article, about a few months back, Exxon and Mobil gas are the same. Why? Because they are actually one company. They just kept the 2 names alive due to marketing reasons. They wanted consumer loyalty and so they kept it as it is.

Look it up.... if I am wrong then please correct me.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:47 PM

Sunoco and Mobil for me..
Old 06-20-2002, 02:52 PM
I miss the .org!

I've asked this before

but didn't get an answer. Now that Chevron and Texaco are the same company, does that mean their gas is also the same now?
Old 06-20-2002, 03:07 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: I've asked this before

Based on my own experience, no. I used to be a Texaco fan, but after trying out Chevron for a couple of tanks i noticed better pick-up from the engine. Went back to Texaco for a full-tank (After almost running empty) and noticed a definite lack of pick-up compared to the Chevron.

However, take note that it may vary from state to state and station to station.

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
but didn't get an answer. Now that Chevron and Texaco are the same company, does that mean their gas is also the same now?
Old 06-20-2002, 03:19 PM

Every time I've tried Exxon in any car I've gotten crappy performance, ie: knocks and pings and no pickup. That may explain why my last few fillups at Mobil have proven pretty bad. It's a brand new station. Unfortunately Chevron is scarce here in Northern VA. Years ago I had a Chevron down the street from my work. At that time I had a Hyundai Excel. Chevron was the only gas that I could use that didn't knock and ping and my gas mileage was incredible. I tested the theory over and over again thinking the mileage was in my head, but every time I switched back to Chevron I picked up mileage. My next try is going to be Texaco since they are plentiful around here as is Amoco. Texaco stations always appear to be cleaner looking stations. I hope the gas is the same. I've also had good luck with Shell gasolines. There was an article in the Washington Post several years ago that tested gasolines for additives. They tested all grades. Mobil came out worst overall. Not for their premium gasoline, but rather the lack of additives in 87 and 89 octanes. Exxon was the same. Amoco and Shell had the same amount of cleaning agents in all 3 grades. I don't remember any other brands. Please keep the info coming as I think it would help us all. Tell everyone what you've noticed about any particular gasolines. With mobil I noticed rough idles and a lack of pickup compared to Amoco.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:19 PM
BuddyWh

Re: I've asked this before

In my town everything is Chevron. Their's is the only refinery for at least 200 miles and no automobile fuel is trucked in (the're trying to open a pipeline from Houston, but that is tied up in regulatory battles right now.) They sell to Chevron, Exxon, Texaco, Fina, Mobil, Phillips66 and as well every other little mom-and-pop, quickie store, whatever you want station in town.

The only difference is the additive package put in when the tanker fills up before delivering to the stations.

I think you'll find most are that way, maybe not quite so bad as we are with only one close refinery but there's very little vertical integration in the industry any more for a variety of reasons.

Buddywh

Old 06-20-2002, 03:23 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: I've asked this before

Originally posted by soundmike
Based on my own experience, no. I used to be a Texaco fan, but after trying out Chevron for a couple of tanks i noticed better pick-up from the engine. Went back to Texaco for a full-tank (After almost running empty) and noticed a definite lack of pick-up compared to the Chevron.

However, take note that it may vary from state to state and station to station.

But doesn't it take a few full tanks of a brand of gas before it's flushed out the old stuff? Remember Texaco's old ad campaign "give us 5 tanks."
Old 06-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: I've asked this before

5 tanks to clean the system.

Yes, i've gone several tanks on both types of gas. But once you run out of gas and put in new gas there's really not much of a difference from that time on and a few tanks later on. (When i mean run out of gas i mean run out of gas)

But doesn't it take a few full tanks of a brand of gas before it's flushed out the old stuff? Remember Texaco's old ad campaign "give us 5 tanks."
Old 06-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuel companies...who owns who...parent companies listed first:

Mobile & Exxon

Texaco & Chevron

BP & Amoco & Phillips & Castrol & Arco

Shell (doesn't own any body, but is f'ing enormous by themselves)

Shell Chemicals used to refine the gas for Texaco and additives...do not know if that continued through the ChevronTexaco merger.

I'm a Texaco guy myself. They are pretty big in the Northwest and I'm a Shell fan at heart, so I stuck with them hoping that Shell is still doing their dirty work.

Amoco used to be the Ethanol additive King, so I avoid all BP and BP-owned gas stations like the plauge despite my affinity for the company itself.