5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Common Problems with 5th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 09:03 AM

Common Problems with 5th gens?

I'm interested to find out what are some problems that have been experienced with 5th gens with the VQ engine. I'm interested in mainly repairs, such as engine problems, trannys, etc. - Not problems with or caused by aftermarket equipment.

For instance, what common problems can be expected around 50-60K?

Thanks

Trevor
Old 06-21-2002, 12:40 PM

Re: Common Problems with 5th gens?

Bump

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
I'm interested to find out what are some problems that have been experienced with 5th gens with the VQ engine. I'm interested in mainly repairs, such as engine problems, trannys, etc. - Not problems with or caused by aftermarket equipment.

Thanks

Trevor
Old 06-21-2002, 12:44 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Common Problems with 5th gens?

Bump

I think you have 63 reads, but no replies, because alot of people are waiting for other people to suggest you search on the topics first.

And, since problems can arise throughout ownership, at different times for different people, a 50-60K +/- list is not really meaningful.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I might suggest is a quick romp through the Technical Support Bulletin sticky. Reading the titles of the TSBs will give you a pretty good idea of the problems people have run into with their 5th Gens.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:51 PM

Thanks - I'm buying a 2K SE with 34K on it...Just want to know kind of a heads up with what to look for soon..I'll check the stickies

Originally posted by y2kse
What I might suggest is a quick romp through the Technical Support Bulletin sticky. Reading the titles of the TSBs will give you a pretty good idea of what people have run into in the way of service issues.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:54 PM
jjs

Pay attention to...

among other things:

coils
fuel cut
MAF problems
brake rotor warp

etc.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:59 PM

Re: Pay attention to...

It's funny you mention the coils - He just told me this morning that one of the coils started misfiring around 30K - So the dealer replaced all 6 under warranty. YIPPY!

Thanks for the help, guys. This time next week, I'll be in a black on black SE Wish it was a 2k2....hehe

Originally posted by jjs
among other things:

coils
fuel cut
MAF problems
brake rotor warp

etc.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:02 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Pay attention to...

It's funny you mention the coils - He just told me this morning that one of the coils started misfiring around 30K - So the dealer replaced all 6 under warranty. YIPPY!

Thanks for the help, guys. This time next week, I'll be in a black on black SE Wish it was a 2k2....hehe

Excellent! One potential issue down. Since you did not mention if it was an auto or stick, pay attention to threads on auto tranny's...they don't seem to be long term as strong as the manuals (from what I have read).

Enjoy!!

Old 06-21-2002, 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Pay attention to...

Oh baby...It's a 5 speed - And I wouldn't have it any other way

Actually, while I have the floor - It's a loaded 2K SE 5 speed. Black with Black leather, BOSE, Meridian, etc. 34K miles.....$17K

I didn't think that was bad at all..Considering it was a $29K car 2 years ago

Rotors - I'm thinking of buying Brembo x-drilled rotors..Haven't decided yet...

Originally posted by jjs

Excellent! One potential issue down. Since you did not mention if it was an auto or stick, pay attention to threads on auto tranny's...they don't seem to be long term as strong as the manuals (from what I have read).

Enjoy!!

Old 06-21-2002, 01:10 PM
Jer

Horrible, HORRIBLE things!
At 4k my exhaust manifold cracked; after bringing it in for service I finally get the car home and the next day as I back out notice a huge puddle of green fluid!
So I get that leak fixed, and no longer than two weeks later my tranny refuses to shift into gear properly - sometimes slipping or just staying stuck in 2nd or 3rd. I get ****ed off and I boot it trying to shift manually.. well that sorta goes against me - I end up blowing the engine at 7,500rpm as the tranny jerks, gives up, and jams the revs all the way up there while the car slowly goes down to a crawl on the interstate. Some guy in a CL Type S even passed me, pointing and laughing.
So, in less than 15k, new engine, new transmission, tranny leaks, cracked exhaust manifold.
And as if it couldn't get any worse, just as I'm hitting the road again after paying the dealer 12k for a new engine and transmission, I hit a big canadian moose and total my car! The impact just pi$$ed him off too, so with three giant bites he eats my gf right out of the passenger seat. Well let me tell you folks, the canadian meese up here are huge and more dangerous than polar bears; never get in the way between a canadian moose and its meal... yet I just couldn't take it anymore and in all my fury I ran out to my trunk, grabbed my Louisville f'in Slugger and gave it to the hairy beast real good (I'm still talking about the moose, not the CL-S guy's mother).

As they say in that little french province out in eastern canada, MERDE!!!

Now I just wonder how many people will say "meese" instead of "moose" in plural form.

Sincerely yours, eh,
(Crazy) Jer
65,000km w/replaced solenoids and coils (covered under warranty in both cases - there were known issues with early 2000's and coils). Oh yeah and rotors are wimpy.. get bigger brakes
Old 06-21-2002, 01:21 PM
jjs

Originally posted by Jer
Horrible, HORRIBLE things!
At 4k my exhaust manifold cracked; after bringing it in for service I finally get the car home and the next day as I back out notice a huge puddle of green fluid!
So I get that leak fixed, and no longer than two weeks later my tranny refuses to shift into gear properly - sometimes slipping or just staying stuck in 2nd or 3rd. I get ****ed off and I boot it trying to shift manually.. well that sorta goes against me - I end up blowing the engine at 7,500rpm as the tranny jerks, gives up, and jams the revs all the way up there while the car slowly goes down to a crawl on the interstate. Some guy in a CL Type S even passed me, pointing and laughing.
So, in less than 15k, new engine, new transmission, tranny leaks, cracked exhaust manifold.
And as if it couldn't get any worse, just as I'm hitting the road again after paying the dealer 12k for a new engine and transmission, I hit a big canadian moose and total my car! The impact just pi$$ed him off too, so with three giant bites he eats my gf right out of the passenger seat. Well let me tell you folks, the canadian meese up here are huge and more dangerous than polar bears; never get in the way between a canadian moose and its meal... yet I just couldn't take it anymore and in all my fury I ran out to my trunk, grabbed my Louisville f'in Slugger and gave it to the hairy beast real good (I'm still talking about the moose, not the CL-S guy's mother).

As they say in that little french province out in eastern canada, MERDE!!!

Now I just wonder how many people will say "meese" instead of "moose" in plural form.

Sincerely yours, eh,
(Crazy) Jer
65,000km w/replaced solenoids and coils (covered under warranty in both cases - there were known issues with early 2000's and coils). Oh yeah and rotors are wimpy.. get bigger brakes
Question:

Why did you pay anything for the engine and tranny? Sounds like you should still have been in the warranty period, unless I missed something.

Old 06-21-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Jer

Sincerely yours, eh,
(Crazy) Jer

Old 06-21-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Pay attention to...

Yeah one of my coils started to mis-fire around 23k miles and Nissan replaced them all. But one thing I can't stand is my 2 fron windows that keep on sqeeking when I put them up and down. I went to Nissan like 6 times about it. They put some lubrication stuff on them 5 out of the 6 time and once replaced the door sills, but they eventually start sqeeking again....
Old 06-21-2002, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Pay attention to...

Was it squeaking from the rubber around the windows?

Originally posted by y2KAOSMax

Yeah one of my coils started to mis-fire around 23k miles and Nissan replaced them all. But one thing I can't stand is my 2 fron windows that keep on sqeeking when I put them up and down. I went to Nissan like 6 times about it. They put some lubrication stuff on them 5 out of the 6 time and once replaced the door sills, but they eventually start sqeeking again....
Old 06-22-2002, 01:09 AM
Jer

Re: Re: Re: Common Problems with 5th gens?

It was brought out of warranty by the moose

Originally posted by jjs

Question:

Why did you pay anything for the engine and tranny? Sounds like you should still have been in the warranty period, unless I missed something.

Old 06-22-2002, 03:30 PM

I have this problem where I'm accelerating up the freeway on ramp and when I merge into traffic and look down at my speedometer, I'm going 90 or 95.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pay attention to...

Was it squeaking from the rubber around the windows?

Thats what they thought it was, but after replacing them, about 3 weeks later when it rained hard, they started sqeeking again. I took it back to nissan and they lubricated them. After 2 weeks started sqeeking againg, so I said just forget it..
Old 06-24-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by SSandMaxima

I have this problem where I'm accelerating up the freeway on ramp and when I merge into traffic and look down at my speedometer, I'm going 90 or 95.
I believe the have a TSB out on that.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:52 AM

I'm just curious..For those who have had the TSB on the coils done - Have they started messing up again for you?
Old 06-24-2002, 10:08 AM

I'm just curious..For those who have had the TSB on the coils done - Have they started messing up again for you?
Not yet.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:58 PM

Nope, no problems at all