5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

YES! SC on a 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

YES! SC on a 2k2

I talked to a local shop here in the DC area. They just did a huge install of an SC on an older max (maybe 5th gen) and the SC was on the right side, with pully bar extended across the motor. They did the whole deal, Custom exhaust, Front mount, AFC, injectors, Dynos, tuning, EVERYTHING. The install was @ $6,000 alone. Not including the SC. The SC was prolly an Eaton. I have to call back this eve to talk to the guy who did it and see if he will do it again. They said it took him some time.

I will update you guys when I get specifics from the tech tonight.

All I want to know is who in the DC/Baltimore are got this done??? The guy said he thought it was a 2000, but he wasnt sure.

More to come .......
Old 06-24-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: YES! SC on a 2k2

Originally posted by dblrr900

The SC was prolly an Eaton.
An Eaton on a 5th Gen would be AWESOME! Please keep us posted, dblrr900.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Blu
the tits

$6,000 g's just go fo a hundred shot and save $5,000 and the cost of the SC
Old 06-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

Given it was a custom install i can see why the price was so high. But i'm sure if this guy can get a # of orders going that price will definitely go down.

Or, perhaps just get the parts from him and hopefully one can figure out how to install it.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: YES! SC on a 2k2

Hey Dblrr,
I too am in the DC area and I can't find a good place to take my max where they are familiar with the 2K2. Got any suggestions?
-JC

It also sounds like you got a pretty good deal with your work, my buddy has a 300z and has been/continues to mod it out and he could probly benefit from the shop you went to.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:58 AM

y2kse - thanks for your support. It means I am on the right track. I think I could put some serious numbers down if I got this done right. The big issue is if I can go in that steep. This might have to become a winter project, or next spring. WOW, imagine the power.

TRUBlu - Yes I have thought about that as well, but a hundred shot will be too shallow, if I did a NOS kit it will be a 125 - 150. The issue is I have seen what NOS does to motors, it is not good. A blower if done correct will run for years. Plus the SC is a one time Cost. Over a couple years I could spend more than that on Juice....
Old 06-24-2002, 01:21 PM

$6,000 ?!

just wait for the stillen (if in fact it comes out)
Old 06-24-2002, 03:17 PM

$6000 w/o the S/C is alot. Alot of folks don't want a shaft extending across the front of the engine. I would be curious to know if the turning shaft is exposed like most setups I've seen. I of course would like to see dyno results. 100+ fwhp may be worth it. Anything less I would wait for Stillen.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:40 PM

Wow.... that's really cool, but $6k for just installation??? Probably another $4k for the parts... u r talking $10K! Even for an additional 100fwhp, that's pretty steep! $30k for the Max plus $40k for the S/C, you can get an S4 or something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming or nothing, but that is kinda expensive. The Stillen kit for the 2k1 and older is only $5K, plus $1k for installation. Is it really worth it??? I'd go with the NOS 100 shot and keep the $9k for refills
Actually, on the 2k2s, u can probably do a 125-150 shot, since u have titanium parts in the motor.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:47 PM

You really can't compare NOS to force induction(I guess NOS, in a way is forced induction). The S/C power is always on whereas the NOS should only be kicked in near or at top end. Personally, I'm not a NOS fan at all. And I hate the idea of having to refill. That's corny.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by woreyah
You really can't compare NOS to force induction(I guess NOS, in a way is forced induction). The S/C power is always on whereas the NOS should only be kicked in near or at top end. Personally, I'm not a NOS fan at all. And I hate the idea of having to refill. That's corny.
What u r saying is bad about NOS, is also the good thing about NOS. Yes, it's not on all the time... do you need all the HP all the time? Do you need the additional stress of the S/C running on the motor all the time? Do you need the additional gas usage of the S/C all the time? There is good and bad on both. NOS is the cheaper and easier way to get HP, that's all. But at possibly $10K for the S/C... how much can you hate NOS?
Old 06-24-2002, 05:25 PM

I've looked at countless S/C setups on cars and trucks that have a very limited impact on mileage. That's not really an issue. Do I want the power all the time??? Absolutely!!! I want to be able to overtake, accellerate, and cruise with more power and even step up in a drag race. S/Cs put more stress on an engine??? Come on, we all know S/C cars that come from the factory that easily get 100K miles. A good aftermarket system should do the same. Have you see a stock car on juice?
And speaking of drag racing(or street racing) you're not going to get any respect from a NA or Force Induction engine when you race. Juicers race juicers.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:28 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Will this Eaton Supercharger be a roots type? If so you'll be the first guy with a roots type supercharger on a Maxima. (that we know of at least).

But I am worried that will be too much torque for our FWD's to handle. I mean with this type of supercharger your gonna get torque steer like crazy! You'll probubly end up giving it half throttle on the streets and jerk into the other lane on the 1-2 shift b/c the massive power and nail some old geezer in a caprice

Think about the eldery damnet
Old 06-24-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: YES! SC on a 2k2

Hey Conway,

Where ya livin'? I'm in the DC area also.

dblrr900,

I'm definitely interested in this especially since its a local thing. Keep me posted to.

Thanks!

Originally posted by jconway
Hey Dblrr,
I too am in the DC area and I can't find a good place to take my max where they are familiar with the 2K2. Got any suggestions?
-JC

It also sounds like you got a pretty good deal with your work, my buddy has a 300z and has been/continues to mod it out and he could probly benefit from the shop you went to.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:42 PM

I've looked at countless S/C setups on cars and trucks that have a very limited impact on mileage. That's not really an issue. Do I want the power all the time??? Absolutely!!! I want to be able to overtake, accellerate, and cruise with more power and even step up in a drag race. S/Cs put more stress on an engine??? Come on, we all know S/C cars that come from the factory that easily get 100K miles. A good aftermarket system should do the same. Have you see a stock car on juice?
And speaking of drag racing(or street racing) you're not going to get any respect from a NA or Force Induction engine when you race. Juicers race juicers.
Believe me, I understand ur point of view... but I'm talking best bang for the buck. 'Very limited' is not 'same as stock'. In the long run, it will work into the pocketbook. U want the power all the time? Well, I have it at a push of a button. I can overtake cars just as easily. The S/Ced cars u r talking about that go over 100k are stock S/Ced, not aftermarket S/Ced. I've know plenty of S/Ced cars that needed maintenance every 2k. Have I seen a stock car on juice, yes... I had a stock 850 BMW with NOS, along with a Rx-7 heavily modded with NOS and a Scarab 260z with 150 shot... all ran with no problems with NOS.
Respect? From who... the V8 guys?! Come on... they r NEVER going to respect any Japanese car... but u bring up a good point... Is this so-called 'respect' worth $6k+ vs. my $1k for NOS? Hummmm....
Old 06-24-2002, 05:46 PM

My responses

Hey Guys, thanks for the input. I didnt get in touch with the Tech tonight

I was told the cost was so high because they did custom everything. Whoever this guy is around here has to have the badest Max around.

They did the piping for the Intercooler, full exhaust w/ downpipe, belts, etc, etc. It is not like there is a kit for something like this. It takes custom parts to do this type of work. The shop that did it was Extreme Motorsports in MD. They have an 8 Second Talon, Sean Glazier.... ever heard of him??? They do awesome work. "IF" I was to do a NOS setup, these are the guys I would talk to. They are pro's, hands down, and they act like a business should.

The Kit would most likely be an Eaton Roots setup. Yes, mad power. If I do this I will have to save big, but I would much rather do this then NOS, at this point (that could change).

Yes the shaft would go in front of the motor, and yes the tranny will need work. I think that is why it was soo pricy, I know they did other work besides the SC, they had to have done tranny work as well.

My thought is that I will have to do something like Have a sort of Positraction system installed or something. Max N' Out knows about these guys, they did work for him as well.... I think. Basically if I go through with this I will never get rid of this car, not to mention I should be able to smoke 911s on the highway maybe not.

TomBlaze and Conway - were you guys at the DC BBQ? If not you missed a good gathering for the community. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some more 5th gen owners in the area, it is tough to get good input around here.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:57 PM

Re: My responses

as well.

My thought is that I will have to do something like Have a sort of Positraction system installed or something. Max N' Out knows about these guys, they did work for him as well.... I think. Basically if I go through with this I will never get rid of this car, not to mention I should be able to smoke 911s on the highway maybe not.

Remember root's types give mad torque/power down low, but the stillen is a (don't remember the word I think it's called) a centrifical type blower than builds boost gradually and is best for the highway. I think a $tealin' running smaller pulley than stock could beat a roots type on the highway.

What the heak is positraction?? FWD just plain sucks for tons of off the line power but this is still gonna be sweet. Is there anything you can do to prevent/treat torque steer? Your gonna roast your tires off the line I bet with a roots blower.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:06 PM

I know torque steer is a concern but is that big of a deal?(My Max has torque steer and it's stock so I know what you mean) I mean, I've seen CRX, Civics, Preludes, Integras, etc. have big horsepower(300-400+) and I don't hear them crying about torque steer.
My point is, what do they do to help this problem? I don't know.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: My responses

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Remember root's types give mad torque/power down low, but the stillen is a (don't remember the word I think it's called) a centrifical type blower than builds boost gradually and is best for the highway. I think a $tealin' running smaller pulley than stock could beat a roots type on the highway.

What the heak is positraction?? FWD just plain sucks for tons of off the line power but this is still gonna be sweet. Is there anything you can do to prevent/treat torque steer? Your gonna roast your tires off the line I bet with a roots blower.
Yeah, I dont know yet. I think it is going to be a crazy ride one way or the other. I have to talk to the pros and see what their input is. Positraction is what Stangs got, both wheels are locked together, moving at the same time. It is like the next step up from LSD, if I am not mistaken.

BY THE WAY... anyone in the area looking. I called CDE motorsports in Fairfax and they said they were too busy for me, call back in the winter time. I mean I understand, and I thank them for their honesty, but you would think they would jump on a custom job that will bring it fat cash over a bunch of Civics with greddy cat-backs. Oh well, too bad for them.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: My responses

Yeah, I dont know yet. I think it is going to be a crazy ride one way or the other. I have to talk to the pros and see what their input is. Positraction is what Stangs got, both wheels are locked together, moving at the same time. It is like the next step up from LSD, if I am not mistaken.

BY THE WAY... anyone in the area looking. I called CDE motorsports in Fairfax and they said they were too busy for me, call back in the winter time. I mean I understand, and I thank them for their honesty, but you would think they would jump on a custom job that will bring it fat cash over a bunch of Civics with greddy cat-backs. Oh well, too bad for them.
I'm gonna make a post about positraction in the General Forums!

Damn, does this mean your project won't go through?? Since their busy and all?
Old 06-24-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
...The Stillen kit for the 2k1 and older is only $5K, plus $1k for installation...
The Stillen kit for the 2K1 and older is only $3900(it might be had for less), plus less than $1K for installation.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:23 PM

I think positraction is for auto trannys. It's like traction control. I think. There was some dude on the .org talking about how his mechanic went further than Level 10 in bulletproofing the transmission. He didn't mension how much it cost but he did say it was not what most .org members were willing to pay. I'll search for the thread.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:28 PM

I think positraction is for auto trannys. It's like traction control. I think. There was some dude on the .org talking about how his mechanic went further than Level 10 in bulletproofing the transmission. He didn't mension how much it cost but he did say it was not what most .org members were willing to pay. I'll search for the thread.
This is the dude: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=level+ten
Old 06-24-2002, 06:42 PM

Yeah, that is the guy I was talking about. I think this shop did that work... I think. Jason, if you are on, can you confirm who did your work???

Graig - No, the shop that said they were busy is another shop. I am talking to Extreme motorsports, not CDE.

Everyone keeps talking about Stillen. I don't see them doing anything. If they do decide to get off their a$$es and do something with the Max again they will have to do something like what I am looking at, there is NO room on the left site for a SC. With that is mind, their cost will go up as well.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:02 PM

Positraction = LSD

If you bought a 2k2 with HLSD you already have "positraction.

Stereodude
Old 06-24-2002, 07:07 PM

Give Stillen credit bro, they've done alot more than most companies. For starters their RSB seems to better than the others(adjustable).
But what I really want to talk about is putting the S/C on the left side. People have been saying the SC won't fit on the left side which brings up my question. Couldn't the SC be installed on the left side and the shaft be extended a couple of inches? I'm not looking at my Max right at this minute so I'm not sure. But instead of having a shaft run the length of the engine just install it on the left side and have a mini shaft extend to just where the pulleys will line up. Make sense?
Old 06-24-2002, 07:11 PM

Give Stillen credit bro, they've done alot more than most companies. For starters their RSB seems to better than the others(adjustable).
But what I really want to talk about is putting the S/C on the left side. People have been saying the SC won't fit on the left side which brings up my question. Couldn't the SC be installed on the left side and the shaft be extended a couple of inches? I'm not looking at my Max right at this minute so I'm not sure. But instead of having a shaft run the length of the engine just install it on the left side and have a mini shaft extend to just where the pulleys will line up. Make sense?

I hear ya..... go take a look at the motor. There is a very small space to work with. I think there are going to be issues with the SC mounting right too. I dunno, it would be tough.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:19 PM

I hear ya..... go take a look at the motor. There is a very small space to work with. I think there are going to be issues with the SC mounting right too. I dunno, it would be tough.
Well earlier today someone said Stillen is in the works for a 2k2 SC. We'll see. I don't have 10Gs to put into my car now anyway so I may be able to wait for Stillen. Whoever does it, I want 100+ fwhp. It's bad enough we lose about 50hp to the drivetrain.

BY THE WAY, has someone hacked the site???? Look at your banner.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:50 AM

Well earlier today someone said Stillen is in the works for a 2k2 SC. We'll see. I don't have 10Gs to put into my car now anyway so I may be able to wait for Stillen. Whoever does it, I want 100+ fwhp. It's bad enough we lose about 50hp to the drivetrain.

BY THE WAY, has someone hacked the site???? Look at your banner.
I think is was just a PHP error.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Very sound, Mike

The banner engine was CGI based, and yep... it was hacked

I think is was just a PHP error.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ummmm....if the shop is telling you they did a "Roots" blower on the front of the VQ then run away from that shop because they haven't a clue of what they're talking about. A Roots blower (twin screws) is mounted to the TOP of the engine and usually takes place of much of the intake manifold. The blower pulley is rotated to the belt side of the engine. The throttle body is bolted straight up to the blower and the blower crams air in straight down into the lower intake ports. The new Mustang Cobra, Lightning, AMG C Class Benz, and Pontiac GTP plus many dragsters run these blowers. They are simple, extremely reliable, and easy to maintain. They make a crap load of torque down low because boost is instantanous (like Craig said). They're biggest problem is the massive amount of heat they develop and they're lack of topend performance.

Running this kind of blower on the 2k+ Maxima seems pretty pointless to me because you end up getting rid of the 2K+s prime benefit, the variable intake manifold. Cramming a Roots blower on any VQ seems all but impossible to me because the engine mount and tight clearance of the left side of the motor make for impossible belt routing up to where the blower would be.

Dave
Old 06-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Ummmm....if the shop is telling you they did a "Roots" blower on the front of the VQ then run away from that shop because they haven't a clue of what they're talking about. A Roots blower (twin screws) is mounted to the TOP of the engine and usually takes place of much of the intake manifold. The blower pulley is rotated to the belt side of the engine. The throttle body is bolted straight up to the blower and the blower crams air in straight down into the lower intake ports. The new Mustang Cobra, Lightning, AMG C Class Benz, and Pontiac GTP plus many dragsters run these blowers. They are simple, extremely reliable, and easy to maintain. They make a crap load of torque down low because boost is instantanous (like Craig said). They're biggest problem is the massive amount of heat they develop and they're lack of topend performance.

Running this kind of blower on the 2k+ Maxima seems pretty pointless to me because you end up getting rid of the 2K+s prime benefit, the variable intake manifold. Cramming a Roots blower on any VQ seems all but impossible to me because the engine mount and tight clearance of the left side of the motor make for impossible belt routing up to where the blower would be.
Dave

Thanks Dave. They didnt actually tell me what type of blower they installed, so I just pulled that one out of my ****. I did not know that a roots type was the one that sits on top. That would make sense. I still have not talked with the tech, I keep getting told to call back for him. I will find out the real deal and let everyone know.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer

The Stillen kit for the 2K1 and older is only $3900(it might be had for less), plus less than $1K for installation.
Ok, I'm a little off on the price, but that's still about $3K more then an installed NOS kit.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Ok, I'm a little off on the price, but that's still about $3K more then an installed NOS kit.
NOS is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck mod.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer

NOS is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck mod.
Just hope you don't get the BIG BANG for the buck.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:52 PM

Old 06-25-2002, 06:59 PM

That is exactly what I was going to say. The BANG. I have seen some messed up motors from NOS.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:04 AM

That is exactly what I was going to say. The BANG. I have seen some messed up motors from NOS.
Yes... but I have also seen my share of BIG BANG from aftermarket S/Ced or turboed cars, not to mention lengthy ongoing problems associated with them. As long as it is tuned correctly, S/Ced, turboed or NOSed will run fine. Most, if not all of the NOSed ppl that go BANG r not tuned correctly. They just install the kit, put in 100 shot jets, and off they go.... asking for trouble.
I ran 150 shot on my BMW 850 for 3 years, and it ran fine until the day I sold it. Tuning is the key.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:02 PM

Respect? From who... the V8 guys?! Come on... they r NEVER going to respect any Japanese car... but u bring up a good point... Is this so-called 'respect' worth $6k+ vs. my $1k for NOS? Hummmm.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Lol, want respect, go get a 300ZX TT or a Supra TT with a T88.... You'll get respect REALLY fast
Old 06-26-2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax
Lol, want respect, go get a 300ZX TT or a Supra TT with a T88.... You'll get respect REALLY fast
As much as I'd like to agree with you, it just won't happen... V8 guys will always look down on import guys. That's just the way it is... Don't get me wrong, they will scratch their heads and give u thumbs up when they lose to u, but they will never respect an import.

Quick Reply: YES! SC on a 2k2