5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leather got wet. What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Leather got wet. What to do...

It was supose to be incredibly hot today, so I left my two front windows open about 3/4 of an inch and then we had a sudden monsoon. I realized this after a good 30 minutes of rain. I ran down to my car and had a white towel in the back seat just for such occasions. There was a good amount on the left side of the seat and on the door controls. I wiped up all the water the best I could.

I'm kind of ingorant as to what else I should do, if anything. Is it going to ruin the leather? Should I slap some Zaino on it when I get home.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Leather got wet. What to do...

I wonder what cows do when they get wet?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to wipe the leater down with some cleaner and protector, but I wouldn't worry about the leather too much.

The bigger concern is water that seeped into the padding. This might lead to a musty smell for a while until it fully dries out.

I would try to keep the inside of the car as dry as possible (i.e.: run the AC all the time when driving) to keep the relative humidity in the car as low as possible to encourage whatever moisture is in the cushions to evaporate.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:36 AM

Re: Leather got wet. What to do...

Originally posted by Draco
It was supose to be incredibly hot today, so I left my two front windows open about 3/4 of an inch and then we had a sudden monsoon. I realized this after a good 30 minutes of rain. I ran down to my car and had a white towel in the back seat just for such occasions. There was a good amount on the left side of the seat and on the door controls. I wiped up all the water the best I could.

I'm kind of ingorant as to what else I should do, if anything. Is it going to ruin the leather? Should I slap some Zaino on it when I get home.

Thanks

same thing happened to me.....just wipe it down.

Everything should be A.O.K
Old 06-25-2002, 10:06 AM

Same thing happened to me, but it was SNOW. i accidentally held down the unlock on the keypad and the 2 front windows rolled down. The snow pilled up about a foot. I wiped as much of it off as i could and used a hair dryer on the interior. TOo a LONG time and my back hurt like FUC* the next day but at least the car was okay.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Leather got wet. What to do...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric
[B]I wonder what cows do when they get wet?

Old 06-25-2002, 11:30 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I'd hit it with Lexol

and try not to sit in the car as long as you can. About the only thing bad you can do is deform the leather by sitting on it while wet.

That's why your mom always told you not to sit on wet cows.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:33 PM

I concur that the biggest concern should be the carpet/padding. If that gets wet, it will get nasty smelling.

You should dry out the carpet/floor mats as much as possible with a wet vac, then you can take a hair dryer and got to town on it, being careful as to not scorch the fiber. If it starts to smell mildewy, you leave an exposed light bulb turned on in the interior of the car (somehow) with the windows rolled up. That will eliminate some of the moisture. Keeping the windows rolled down may help as well.