5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wheel gap with Pilot A/S 235/50/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Wow...now you're getting REALLY techie on...

Originally posted by Galo
..this rotational mass thing.
If I faintly remember my Dynamics class (more years ao than I wanna admit to) the rotational mass would change if a) the overall weight of the unit was greater and b) the weight's distribution within the wheel/tire assembly moves outwards from the center of the wheel.

Given that tires are usually heavier than wheels (good wheels, et least) it's intuitive that yes a 19" wheel could have more rotational inertia than a 17" diameter assembly of equal weight because both the wheel's rim as well as the tire are farther away from the hub -but it would be a ***** to calculate the overall impact would be..maybe a much yourger (fresher) en-ga-neer could figure it out
Ya got me on that one, Galo. The only thing I know is that people b!tch about the fact that they aren't able to accelerate as quickly with wider wheels as they're able to with narrower ones.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:48 AM

In this tire size category, what is not as good about these options:

Pirelli P6000
Bridgestone Turanza EL42
Pirelli PZero System Asymmetrical
Michelin Pilot HX (2 types)

Look here to compare Clicky

Thanks in advance, I'd like to hear opinions.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Neal728

Pirelli P6000
Bridgestone Turanza EL42

If I read your post right, you want feedback on these tires in relation to eack other. Right?

If so, just use the compare funciton at Tire Rack and you have a lot of answers. Wear rating, speed rating, customer survey, etc. Depends on what you want yoru tires to do for you (high performance, comfort, long life, etc.).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...y_35YR76000_=4

If not, I am not certain what is being asked.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: Re: wheel gap with Pilot A/S 235/50/17

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

just a question, since now there is more rotational mass, is there that big of a diff on loss of power, or its the same? peace
I have no experience of loss inpower but I believe it's due to the traction from the new tire compare to my old semi bald RE92 tire.
I have to say it's about the same and I am due for oil change soon, so It's could effect the performance.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Don2000g
Those 235/50/17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS look awesome. These are the EXACT TIRES that I've purchased. They should reach my local Tire Corral on Friday. Can't wait! Thanks so much for the pics. You did an excellent job of posting pics with different angles and comparing them to the crappy RE 92s.
you're very welcome!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: wheel gap with Pilot A/S 235/50/17

Originally posted by exunaja

I have no experience of loss inpower but I believe it's due to the traction from the new tire compare to my old semi bald RE92 tire.
I have to say it's about the same and I am due for oil change soon, so It's could effect the performance.
I really didn't expect you to notice much, if any, difference in acceleration. But let us know if that changes, Erwin.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:10 AM

I'll keep everyone posted.

Erwin
Old 06-27-2002, 12:13 PM

What I meant was why we wouldn't choose these options, since they are cheaper. I understand speed ratings, but I'm never going to to 150 so I'm not altogether worried abotut the V vs. W. Anyone use any of these tires?

Quoted Message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pirelli P6000
Bridgestone Turanza EL42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I read your post right, you want feedback on these tires in relation to eack other. Right?

If so, just use the compare funciton at Tire Rack and you have a lot of answers. Wear rating, speed rating, customer survey, etc. Depends on what you want yoru tires to do for you (high performance, comfort, long life, etc.).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...ty_35YR76000_=4
Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 PM
jjs

Still...

What I meant was why we wouldn't choose these options, since they are cheaper. I understand speed ratings, but I'm never going to to 150 so I'm not altogether worried abotut the V vs. W. Anyone use any of these tires?

Quoted Message:

Pirelli P6000
Bridgestone Turanza EL42

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...ty_35YR76000_=4
Use the comparison there (especially since not many members have used this size tire, let alone a range of models of it). For instance, you have the Pilot A/S...handling rating of 8.8, dry traction 8.7, wet traction 8.7, comfort 8.2, etc.

At the low end of price the Turanza EL42 has the follwoing numbers in those categories...6.4, 7 ,5.7 ,7.2...clearly not a stellar handling tire, but still relatively comfortable.

And remember, these ratings are based on their customer feedback, much like you are trying to find here.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:32 PM
ABS

I was under the impression that the SE 17" rim/tire combo is already a different diameter than the 16" basic wheel. Should we be comparing overall wheel height and its impact on the speedometer against the 16" wheel/tire combo or the 17" wheel/tire combo?
Old 06-27-2002, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by ABS
I was under the impression that the SE 17" rim/tire combo is already a different diameter than the 16" basic wheel. Should we be comparing overall wheel height and its impact on the speedometer against the 16" wheel/tire combo or the 17" wheel/tire combo?
Your question has been dealt with an another thread. But it will be difficult to find if you're not willing to look through a LOT of threads. So here's your answer.

There's some question as to whether ALL of the tire and rim combinations are programmed the same in Maxima ECUs. If they are, they're probably based on the 15" basic wheel rather than the 16" or the 17". The fact is, all three diameters fall within the 3% maximum speedo error guidelines, so it really doesn't matter which one you use.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:43 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Hmmmmm . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
[B]
What is the basis for your contention, 2K1HoMax? A wider tire with the same aspect ratio should have a taller sidewall height, hence more air capacity and greater compliance.

And a 19" tire/rim combo with precisely the same overall diameter as a 17" tire/rim combo isn't going to increase the rotational mass?

so u get a lower profile tire. its not that much wider. its not that big of a diff, but hey what do i know i still have my stock rims im just guessin from #'s im not gonna argue with u.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: Hmmmmm . . .

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

so u get a lower profile tire. its not that much wider. its not that big of a diff, but hey what do i know i still have my stock rims im just guessin from #'s im not gonna argue with u.
There's nothing to argue about, my friend. You don't know and I don't know. So anything I say would be a guess too.

Perhaps someday a real live mechanical engineer will show up and explain compliance and rotational mass to us in terms we can all understand. Until that day, we'll just have to keep on guessing . . .
Old 06-28-2002, 04:42 PM
ABS

Your question has been dealt with an another thread. But it will be difficult to find if you're not willing to look through a LOT of threads. So here's your answer.

There's some question as to whether ALL of the tire and rim combinations are programmed the same in Maxima ECUs. If they are, they're probably based on the 15" basic wheel rather than the 16" or the 17". The fact is, all three diameters fall within the 3% maximum speedo error guidelines, so it really doesn't matter which one you use.
I see your point, but here's the question. If we assume that the ECU is based off the 15" wheel, then might not going to the 17" rim with a 235/50 create a variance greater than 3%?

Guess what, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. I just ran the numbers and the total wheel height for the stock 16" rim/tire combo is 64.29 cm. The total wheel height for the stock 17" rim with the 235/50/17 size is 66.68 cm. If my math is correct, this variance translates into a 3.58% difference in size.

I would agree that all three stock rim/tire combinations are within 3% of one another, (the maximum variance occuring between the stock 16" and 17" rims at about 2.11%) but the 235/50/17 size does not fall within the accepted 3% max variance. I see this as a major concern since many functions in the vehicle depend upon the the rotational speed of the wheel. For example, transmission shift points in automatics, the speedometer and the odometer will all be impacted.

The only way a 235/50/17 size could be accepted as suitable is if it is only compared against the 17" rim for the maximum 3% variance. Then the question of whether the computer is altered for various rim sizes, or not, becomes much more meaningful.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by ABS

I see your point, but here's the question . . .
Yes, your point has been noted in previous threads and is well taken, ABS. Of course, this is still a matter of conjecture. The truth is, there are many ECU part numbers for each 5th Gen model year and I, for one, don't know what the differences are among them. Certainly rim size and overall diameter could be one of the parameters that differs from ECU to ECU. But we'd need a Nissan engineer to confirm or deny that. Unfortunately, I don't think we've got any of those around here.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:53 PM
ABS

Yes, your point has been noted in previous threads and is well taken, ABS. Of course, this is still a matter of conjecture. The truth is, there are many ECU part numbers for each 5th Gen model year and I, for one, don't know what the differences are among them. Certainly rim size and overall diameter could be one of the parameters that differs from ECU to ECU. But we'd need a Nissan engineer to confirm or deny that. Unfortunately, I don't think we've got any of those around here.
I'm sorry if I'm re-writing what's already been written . . . as you pointed out, the tire/wheel topic has been "beaten to death" and there is so much material, it is virtually impossible to read all of it. At any rate, this information is new to me and this discussion lead me to run the numbers. I will have to evaluate the 235/50 size very carefully . . .

Thanks for your feedback.

A
Old 06-29-2002, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by ABS

I'm sorry if I'm re-writing what's already been written . . . as you pointed out, the tire/wheel topic has been "beaten to death" and there is so much material, it is virtually impossible to read all of it. At any rate, this information is new to me and this discussion lead me to run the numbers. I will have to evaluate the 235/50 size very carefully . . .

Thanks for your feedback.

A
In the absence of conflicting information from Nissan, I'd suggest you use the actual OEM tire size on your Maxima as a basis for determining whether a tire size change is OK. Use a 3.0% maximum speedo error as a guideline.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-29-2002, 03:36 PM

8" wheel width

Will the 235/50-17 work on a 8" wheel width?
Old 06-29-2002, 10:25 PM

Re: 8" wheel width

Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
Will the 235/50-17 work on a 8" wheel width?
It should. But that's not a question you should be asking us, Max_Vader_2K. Go to the web site of the MANUFACTURER whose tires you're thinking about purchasing and check the specifications. The acceptable rim width range will be listed in their specs.

PS: If you've got 8"-wide rims, I'd suggest you consider 245/45R17s instead of 235/50-R17s. The 245/45s generate less speedometer error than the 235/50s and there's a much broader selection of high-performance tires to choose from in 245/45s.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:01 PM

Re: wheel gap with Pilot A/S 235/50/17

ok people here is the link...
please give your comment.
thank you for all your patient

Pilot A/S 235/50

Erwin
did you say 235/50/17???

I think you are nuttttts putting these tires on your beautiful 17" stock rims. 235/45/17 with H & R wheel spacers woulda be way way better than riding high if you plan to lower your car a little..
Old 06-30-2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

did you say 235/50/17???

I think you are nuttttts putting these tires on your beautiful 17" stock rims. 235/45/17 with H & R wheel spacers woulda be way way better than riding high if you plan to lower your car a little..
I agree that 235/50s may not be a good choice if you plan to lower your car, Deven2kStickMax. But I do NOT agree that 235/45R17s would be the correct choice on the stock rims if you do. This issue has already been discussed ad nauseum. Before someone decides to follow your suggestion . . . a suggestion that every tire manufacturer in the world disagrees with . . . I'd recommend that they thoroughly research the tire-related posts in the Frequently Asked Questions sticky thread, most specifically the post I've set a link to in my sig.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:44 AM

I agree that 235/50s may not be a good choice if you plan to lower your car, Deven2kStickMax. But I do NOT agree that 235/45R17s would be the correct choice on the stock rims if you do. This issue has already been discussed ad nauseum. Before someone decides to follow your suggestion . . . a suggestion that every tire manufacturer in the world disagrees with . . . I'd recommend that they thoroughly research the tire-related posts in the Frequently Asked Questions sticky thread, most specifically the post I've set a link to in my sig.
thanks for the reply. maybe i'm reacting and i'm sorry, but i noticed lots of people did used 235/45/17 with no problems so far on the stock 17" , including myself soon if i plan to keep my 17. Right now i'm looking for a set of 18" and can't find one nicer than my stock so far..
Old 07-01-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: wheel gap with Pilot A/S 235/50/17

i noticed lots of people did used 235/45/17 with no problems so far on the stock 17" , including myself soon if i plan to keep my 17.
You're absolutely right, Deven2kStickMax. And "so far" are indeed the operative words.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:53 AM

did you say 235/50/17???

I am not Nutts! I have been doing some research and review most of the major issues about tire sizes for the 17x7 stock rim.

Handling with this tires is superb and far superior to the potenzahh.
wet weather handling was excellent. I dare to speed in the rain, yesterday was my official wet weather test day.

my comment is

later

EU
Old 07-01-2002, 08:57 AM
jjs

I am not Nutts! I have been doing some research and review most of the major issues about tire sizes for the 17x7 stock rim.

wet weather handling was excellent. I dare to speed in the rain, yesterday was my official wet weather test day.

my comment is

later

EU
personal taste preference...

I happen to like a larger tire as well...

not all of us like lowered cars, especially larger sedans...

bottom line, enjoy!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:04 AM

my comment is

later

EU
No, you are NOT nutts, Erwin! If anyone around here is nutts, it's those who would elect to run out-of-spec 235mm-wide tires (235/45R17) on their OEM rims when in-spec 235mm-wide tires (235/50R17) are available that happen to be arguably the best looking, best performing all-season, high-performance tires for the Maxima that money can buy.

Thanks for the update on the wet weather handling characteristics of your Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss in 235/50R17. I'm not at all surprised at the outcome of your testing.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 PM
KCmaxima

help

I am considering buying a set of wheels with tires and want to know how they will fit my 4th Gen. The reason I chose this thread to ask this question on is that the tires that come on the 17X8 wheels are size P235/50/R17 Bridgestones (not sure yet which ones). Anyway, right now Im riding on stock suspension and understand that mounting these size of wheels and tires will eliminate a lot of that fenderwell gap (4X4 look)Will these rub? What happens later if I want to modify my suspension, will I not be able to drop it at all?

Old 11-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Pointy Elbows

Prices

Is Tirerack the cheapest place I can the the 25/50/17 Pilots? Anyone know where I can get a better price?