5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

First off, I apologize for being a newb with these cars. I have used the Search function, and looked at the FAQ, but I dont see the various HP levels for '00+ cars. From what I have read, '00 and '01s have a 3.0L V6 putting out 222 hp. '02s have the new 3.5L putting out 255HP. Hopefully Im on track so far...

I need a 4 door...my Formula will haul my 2.5 year old around, but not him and my 4 month old. And I want something fast. The Max fits the bill perfectly. So do a few other cars, but I really like the Max.

I dont want to spend more than 24K or so and probably wont do it until later in the year. Will it be feasible to find an '02 for that amount of money? SE of course. Would I be disappointed with a '00 or an '01?

What would you do? <-- I trust you guys' (and gals!) knowledge as far as purchasing the correct year 5th gen.

And, yes, Im keeping the WS6 tucked away.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:49 AM

Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

You can get an 02 or an 03 for $24K or less
Old 06-28-2002, 06:50 AM
It's chrome alright...

You search well, grasshopper. Those HP numbers are for stock.

2k3 has same engine as 2k2, just more 'bells and whistles'... nothing substantial is different (sorry 2k3ers). At your price, you want a 2k2 leftover. I got a brand new 2k2 6-speed for less than $27, so by now the leftover 2k2s should be in your range.

And yes, you'd be disappointed in a pre-2k2 car.

Originally posted by WS6Modder
First off, I apologize for being a newb with these cars. I have used the Search function, and looked at the FAQ, but I dont see the various HP levels for '00+ cars. From what I have read, '00 and '01s have a 3.0L V6 putting out 222 hp. '02s have the new 3.5L putting out 255HP. Hopefully Im on track so far...

I need a 4 door...my Formula will haul my 2.5 year old around, but not him and my 4 month old. And I want something fast. The Max fits the bill perfectly. So do a few other cars, but I really like the Max.

I dont want to spend more than 24K or so and probably wont do it until later in the year. Will it be feasible to find an '02 for that amount of money? SE of course. Would I be disappointed with a '00 or an '01?

What would you do? <-- I trust you guys' (and gals!) knowledge as far as purchasing the correct year 5th gen.

Old 06-28-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

...and you're still willing to keep your "friends" on this board?
Old 06-28-2002, 07:00 AM

For a rundown on all of Nissan's engines, check out Freshalloy's engine page. I have to agree on your choice of the Max. It's the best 4DSC out there for the money.

And welcome to the .org
Old 06-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies...and nice link on the engine page.

Danke!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:36 AM

You can easily walk away with a 255hp 2K2 for less than 24K! You might even be able to get one with a sunroof too!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:57 AM
lcf

as a proud owner of a 2000 maxima SE, i say be wary of buying a 2k2. the problems with them well outnumber the problems with the 2k's and the 2k1's. it's ridiculous. if i were you, i would buy a 2k1. i had my 2k in for service a week ago (just maintenance), i had a chance to drive the 2k2. granted, it was an auto, but i was not overly impressed.

now, there are some upgrades found in the 2k2 that the sub-2k2's do not have! such as the HIDs and a few other amenities like navigation system. of course, these are nothing that cannot be added by means of aftermarket. in fact, many .org members have added 2k2 OEM HIDs to their sub-2k2 maxima's without a hitch. of course, there's no way you can add 30 ponies in your sub-2k2 N/A, but it sounds you are into modding, you should mod your 2k1 maxima! at this time, there is more aftermarket support for the sub-2k2s than there is for the 2k2. just get a supercharger ( not available for 2k2 ), y-pipe ( not available for 2k2 ), catback ( ), and a few other bolt-ons on your 2k1 maxima and the 2k2's mere 30 extra ponies will not really matter. unfortunately, it seems to me that since the introduction of the new altima, the maxima is going to receive less aftermarket support than we already have now! i wonder what this means for 2k2/2k3 owners? (keep in mind, i am referring to large aftermarket support.)

again, i stress, before buying a 2k2, search the .org and compare all the problems (TSB's, what have you, etc.) of the sub-2k2's and compare them to the 2k2's and you might be suprised. i like to think, "whoa! what happened to these 2k2's? they put in thirty extra horses, but let gomer pyle put the car together!" ... and remember, nissan customer service sucks, getting dealers to actually perform the TSB is like trying to consistently chirp third!!

Old 06-28-2002, 09:03 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Originally posted by maximawanabee

...and you're still willing to keep your "friends" on this board?
Ummmm. No?! I love my 2K. Right now, I would take my 2K over a 2K2. That's not to say that I don't like the 2K2, but with some of the problems they have been having lately, I dunno.

And my 2K with mods is most likely quicker than a stock 2K2 (depending on the driver of course). You can buy a 2K/2K1 for much less and have at least 5 grand left over for mods, wheels, etc.

It depends what you're in to I guess........
Old 06-28-2002, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

While your at it why don't you foolishly knock the fourth gen guys too.

Old 06-28-2002, 10:00 AM

Another big thing to keep in mind is that Maxima's take a large hit in depreciation the first and second year. I'm picking up a fully loaded 5 speed 2K SE for 17K. It stickered at 29K new. To me, it's worth it to get something like this. Yes, I'd love the extra HP. But I don't like to lose money

Originally posted by lcf
as a proud owner of a 2000 maxima SE, i say be wary of buying a 2k2. the problems with them well outnumber the problems with the 2k's and the 2k1's. it's ridiculous. if i were you, i would buy a 2k1. i had my 2k in for service a week ago (just maintenance), i had a chance to drive the 2k2. granted, it was an auto, but i was not overly impressed.

now, there are some upgrades found in the 2k2 that the sub-2k2's do not have! such as the HIDs and a few other amenities like navigation system. of course, these are nothing that cannot be added by means of aftermarket. in fact, many .org members have added 2k2 OEM HIDs to their sub-2k2 maxima's without a hitch. of course, there's no way you can add 30 ponies in your sub-2k2 N/A, but it sounds you are into modding, you should mod your 2k1 maxima! at this time, there is more aftermarket support for the sub-2k2s than there is for the 2k2. just get a supercharger ( not available for 2k2 ), y-pipe ( not available for 2k2 ), catback ( ), and a few other bolt-ons on your 2k1 maxima and the 2k2's mere 30 extra ponies will not really matter. unfortunately, it seems to me that since the introduction of the new altima, the maxima is going to receive less aftermarket support than we already have now! i wonder what this means for 2k2/2k3 owners? (keep in mind, i am referring to large aftermarket support.)

again, i stress, before buying a 2k2, search the .org and compare all the problems (TSB's, what have you, etc.) of the sub-2k2's and compare them to the 2k2's and you might be suprised. i like to think, "whoa! what happened to these 2k2's? they put in thirty extra horses, but let gomer pyle put the car together!" ... and remember, nissan customer service sucks, getting dealers to actually perform the TSB is like trying to consistently chirp third!!

Old 06-28-2002, 10:01 AM
It's chrome alright...

Wow... where's the love?

I meant, from the sound of his original post, that he'd be disappointed in the lower horsepower. All Maxima's are nice cars (I've been wanting one for years before finally buying my 2k2), but it sounded like he was into speed and pre-2k2 isn't as fast as 2k2 (stock, of course).

-4th gen rocks (that's when I started like Maxima)
-2k and 2k1 - I'd swap my 2k2 altezzas for either year
-2k2 ... "with all the problems" ... search and all you're gonna find is problems, except for the few and far between "I love my car" posts. People don't run around yelling "love" because nothing's wrong as much as people scream "hate" if something is wrong. I'm not trying to dismiss people who have problems, but not *everyone* has problems.

He can't go wrong with any year, I just got from his post that he'd be unhappy with less than 255hp.

There, did I put out most of the fires?

Originally posted by Blackgums100

Old 06-28-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Originally posted by asu174

And my 2K with mods is most likely quicker than a stock 2K2 (depending on the driver of course).

It depends what you're in to I guess........
Asu, I love ya' man, you are one of my favorite guys on here to b.s. with, but do you honestly think that your y-pipe and exhaust that you are running a 6-flat 0-60? Cuz that is what a 2002 6-spd will do... You may be faster than a 2002 auto like I have, (I will run a 6.6 pretty consistently) but that is not apples to apples. Also, not everybody is having problems with their 2002 Max. I have had one recall, for the control arms, that was free to fix and took 1 hour. I needed an alignment anyway! But I have never had a hood rattle, wind noise, or timing chain clang once in almost 10,000 miles of driving thus far...

Just because the 2002 has TSB's doesn't mean everybody has those problems. Those TSB's are not recalls, they are only guidelines to help dealers fix problems that occur in some vehicles. The pedal stopper recall didn't affect about 50% of all new Maxima's at all so everybody shouldn't really say the 02 is 'full' of problems. I drive it every day and that damn car is the tightest, smoothest, quietest car I have owned. As yeah I drove an 01 when I first started looking last year, and apples to apples (auto to auto or stick to stick) the 02 feels a LOT faster. It weighs the same and has 30+ more hp and torque...
Old 06-28-2002, 10:28 AM

Before anybody even has a chance to reply to my last post, please bear in mind that I am NOT trying to stir up a 00-01 vs. 02 war on here. We ALL love our cars. They are great examples of what 4-door sedans should be. And there are guys that have the 3.0 that I would trade cars with in a SECOND. (Kev are u listening??? )

But the 2002 is not 'riddled with problems' by any means. And just as far as the engine goes, how many 3.0 guys out there (4th and 5th gen) wouldn't pull their engine in a second and drop that 3.5L puppy in there given the opportunity??? Peace among Max drivers!

We have enough trouble with the 330i and CL/TL type S guys to fight amonst ourselves!!!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:47 PM

I will say this

if you do buy a used Max, try a find an AE addition, they are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I will say this

Originally posted by Blackgums100
if you do buy a used Max, try a find an AE addition, they are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
2001 AE Majestic Blue 5 speed.

Then supercharge it.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Maybe I didn't write that properly. What I meant to say was......

I would take a 2000/2001 Maxima AND $5000 worth of mods OVER a 2k2 6 speed. This is basically what I did, although I have yet to invest the full $5000 yet. I still have about $1500 left out of that imaginary $5000 and with it I would buy a UDP and a nitrous tank (next mods). THEN the 2K2 6 speed would be in trouble.

Right now, though, I'd be confident against a 2K2 Auto.......

Originally posted by Matthew

Asu, I love ya' man, you are one of my favorite guys on here to b.s. with, but do you honestly think that your y-pipe and exhaust that you are running a 6-flat 0-60? Cuz that is what a 2002 6-spd will do... You may be faster than a 2002 auto like I have, (I will run a 6.6 pretty consistently) but that is not apples to apples. Also, not everybody is having problems with their 2002 Max. I have had one recall, for the control arms, that was free to fix and took 1 hour. I needed an alignment anyway! But I have never had a hood rattle, wind noise, or timing chain clang once in almost 10,000 miles of driving thus far...

Just because the 2002 has TSB's doesn't mean everybody has those problems. Those TSB's are not recalls, they are only guidelines to help dealers fix problems that occur in some vehicles. The pedal stopper recall didn't affect about 50% of all new Maxima's at all so everybody shouldn't really say the 02 is 'full' of problems. I drive it every day and that damn car is the tightest, smoothest, quietest car I have owned. As yeah I drove an 01 when I first started looking last year, and apples to apples (auto to auto or stick to stick) the 02 feels a LOT faster. It weighs the same and has 30+ more hp and torque...
Old 06-28-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interested in Max's, HP Levels, year to buy, etc...

Originally posted by asu174
Maybe I didn't write that properly. What I meant to say was......

I would take a 2000/2001 Maxima AND $5000 worth of mods OVER a 2k2 6 speed. This is basically what I did, although I have yet to invest the full $5000 yet. I still have about $1500 left out of that imaginary $5000 and with it I would buy a UDP and a nitrous tank (next mods). THEN the 2K2 6 speed would be in trouble.

Right now, though, I'd be confident against a 2K2 Auto.......

...I think thats a fair post. With a NOS bottle, I think you would be showing a 2002 6-spd your taillights. Especially with your y-pipe and exhaust to boot... By the way, I really dig your 18" C5, I hope you get the 4th one soon. I honestly think that on your car they look nicer and more sporting than the 19s you had... Proof that bigger is not always better, at least not with wheels...
Old 06-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by WS6Modder

FYI: I got my 2k2 gle about a month ago for 23.5k. All standard with no options. That included destination charge but before ttl.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blackgums100

Cause we're faster than you guys, despite only having 190HP! j/k Either way, you'll have a great car, any Max... Hey, we have some pretty fast 4th gens and 5th gens (pre-2k2) that can kick some serious ***, being over 300fwhp...
Old 07-03-2002, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buy the 2002 now. I just did and made a great deal. You will be sorry with anything older. 1/4 mile 14.99 at 95.6MPH 0 to 60 6.3 according to Edmunds. I believe it's faster than this.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My cousin just got a 2k2 SE (Sunroof/Visor/Spoiler/Mats/Splash Guards) These things maybe standard equipment but I am not sure. He got it for $23,000 + Tax.