5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Using the quick installation instructions which Ice provided, I did the 2K2 shift boot installation in about 10 minutes. The only tip I can provide, and this will probably only make sense to Ice, is that I found using the flatheads on the front of the lighter adaptor (through the inside of the mechanism) made it easier to lift the tabs. In fact, I only did one at a time. Lifted one...pushed the mechanism out a hair...then lifted the other and the whole thing slid right out.

Thanks for putting those instructions up, it was a breeze. Have you gotten anywhere with thinking about how to secure the boot to the shifter? I'm wondering if there is a nice aftermarket **** which fits better? I'd buy the six-speed **** and polish the markings off, but I don't think that'd be any different. I think the wider opening is to fit the reverse mechanism on the six-speed shifter and I don't think that would come with the ****.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:23 AM

Re: 2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Have you gotten anywhere with thinking about how to secure the boot to the shifter?

Congradulations, another person's max made better thanks to Ice's pioneering that 2k2 shift surround. I did the same mod about 3 months ago. I had to clean the drool up off my desk here at work after seeing his web page (and that mod in particular) the first time. I was always unhappy with the original shift boot, **** and the throw of the shifter. Now, I smile ever time I shift (what a huge difference!) Even with my 2k2 headlamps, my fav mod is still the shift surround, the STS and the AE ****. Can't give enough praise and recommendation to doing this mod if you're a 2k or 2k1 manual owner. Make sure you try the MT-90 synthetic trans oil too. It does make the shifting smoother.

I did figure out a good way to secure the boot to the rod (by the way). I trimmed down a flat, round piece of rigid plastic/rubber so that it's diameter was about 1.25" (might have been a little less or a little more > 1" - 1.5"). Tin snips worked well to cut the plastic. Heavy-duty scissors might do the trick. Anyway, I then drilled a hole in the center of the plastic (the size of my pacesetter shift rod) and then made a cut from the edge to the center hole in the plastic. The cut made it possible to put the plastic piece around the rod. If you wait to put the shift **** on your shifter you could forget a cut and just slide the piece down over the rod to where you need it. I secured the platic piece with electrical tape. First I taped the plastic piece to the **** (works well cause the tape is stretchy and sticks well) just by looping the tape around different angles and such. Then I put some more electrical tape on top of that with the STICKY side out. I pulled the boot and the snap up over the plastic piece, then closed the snap and pressed the boot against the plastic piece. Between the plastic and the sticky electrical tape, the boot has not moved since. It worked for me, it should work well for you too.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:36 AM

Re: Re: 2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Originally posted by condor9382
I did figure out a good way to secure the boot to the rod (by the way). I trimmed down a flat, round piece of rigid plastic/rubber so that it's diameter was about 1.25" (might have been a little less or a little more > 1" - 1.5"). Tin snips worked well to cut the plastic. Heavy-duty scissors might do the trick. Anyway, I then drilled a hole in the center of the plastic (the size of my pacesetter shift rod) and then made a cut from the edge to the center hole in the plastic. The cut made it possible to put the plastic piece around the rod. If you wait to put the shift **** on your shifter you could forget a cut and just slide the piece down over the rod to where you need it. I secured the platic piece with electrical tape. First I taped the plastic piece to the **** (works well cause the tape is stretchy and sticks well) just by looping the tape around different angles and such. Then I put some more electrical tape on top of that with the STICKY side out. I pulled the boot and the snap up over the plastic piece, then closed the snap and pressed the boot against the plastic piece. Between the plastic and the sticky electrical tape, the boot has not moved since. It worked for me, it should work well for you too.
I'm having trouble envisioning that one. Did you take any pictures, by chance? How does it look?
Old 07-02-2002, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I'm having trouble envisioning that one. Did you take any pictures, by chance? How does it look?
I don't have any pictures of the actual process. However, I do have pictures of the finished product on my homepage (page 2). Click on it!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

I don't have any pictures of the actual process. However, I do have pictures of the finished product on my homepage (page 2). Click on it!
Thanks. Did you consider threading the plastic so that it actually screws onto the shift rod below the ****? Would this accomplish the same thing you have done? Is that ring in, approximately, that location? That's what I'm having trouble picturing...where is that plastic ring actually located.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Shift Boot Installed - Thanks ICE!

Thanks. Did you consider threading the plastic so that it actually screws onto the shift rod below the ****? Would this accomplish the same thing you have done? Is that ring in, approximately, that location? That's what I'm having trouble picturing...where is that plastic ring actually located.
The hole I cut in the plastic was slightly smaller than the actual rod, so it "seated" itself on the rod, plus the tape takes care of any further movement from the plastic. The plastic piece is located about .5" below the end of the shift ****. If you were to "thread" the plastic piece on, it would all depend on how far down the threads on your shift rod extend below the shift ****. I don't have any threads exposed really when i tighten down the **** all the way, so I didn't have a choice (to thread, or not to thread ). If you picture in your mind a washer on a bolt, my round plastic piece is kind of like that in relation to the rod. You might even be able to use one of an o-ring found at the end of a garden hose. That would be close to what I used.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:06 AM

Still missing something?

You've got an 02 without the most important part 255 horse e's.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Still missing something?

Originally posted by buzek

You've got an 02 without the most important part 255 horse e's.
I'm still talking about an 01 max here, not an 02. Sorry you're mistaken.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: Still missing something?

I'm still talking about an 01 max here, not an 02. Sorry you're
mistaken.
I know what you have..I'm talkin about what youWANNABE
Old 07-02-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

Old 07-02-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

I see that you've added some AE stuff to your max.... Does that mean you WANNABE an Anniversary Edition maxima??
Old 07-02-2002, 11:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

I see that you've added some AE stuff to your max.... Does that mean you WANNABE an Anniversary Edition maxima??
The whole world dosen't see the car as something it's not because of the door sills.
I think it's cool what youv'e done. Some others might call it RICE.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

The whole world dosen't see the car as something it's not. I think it's cool what youv'e done. Some others might call it RICE.
Don't know what you mean about "seeing the car as something it's not". What is Ricey? Please explain, be more direct.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

The whole world dosen't see the car as something it's not because of the door sills.
I think it's cool what youv'e done. Some others might call it RICE.
If you don't have anything to contribute to this thread, feel free to stop replying to it at anytime. Who, on this planet, mistakes your car for something it's not because of the shift boot?

condor9382...don't even bother.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

Don't know what you mean about "seeing the car as something it's not". What is Ricey? Please explain, be more direct.
If you don't get it..I can't get it for you! Rock on.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

If you don't get it..I can't get it for you! Rock on.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Still missing something?

You go on with your bad self, condor9382.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:06 PM

2K2 Shift boot

Hey Guys,

I have the 2K2 Shift surround with a Niken Real Carbon fiber ****...I also have the pacesetter short throw shifter which is a nice chrome color...When I first put the shifter on, I was looking for a way to secure the **** to the actual boot...No go on that. I have actually started to really like the chrome look of the STS now, so I am no longer looking for a method.

I guess what I am getting at is that the nice chrome on the STS is a pleasant change if you can't figure out how to secure it into place. Please lemme know if you do figure out a way, though
Old 07-02-2002, 02:07 PM

Re: 2K2 Shift boot

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
Hey Guys,

I have the 2K2 Shift surround with a Niken Real Carbon fiber ****...I also have the pacesetter short throw shifter which is a nice chrome color...When I first put the shifter on, I was looking for a way to secure the **** to the actual boot...No go on that. I have actually started to really like the chrome look of the STS now, so I am no longer looking for a method.

I guess what I am getting at is that the nice chrome on the STS is a pleasant change if you can't figure out how to secure it into place. Please lemme know if you do figure out a way, though
So do you mean to say that you removed the boot so that the shifter shaft actually is exposed?
Old 07-02-2002, 02:09 PM

No, I still have the boot on there...That would look crazy without the boot!! I just have the boot tucked down a little to show some of the BLING BLING Check out my website if you want to see pics
Old 07-03-2002, 04:56 AM

TEP Shift Console

I got my 03 TEP shift console in the mail yesterday, can't wait to install it over the long weekend. I'm also installing a Momo shifter. Will have pics in a couple of days.