5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

I have multiple questions about my GC kit.

1. Why is the front drivers side loose? What is it supposed to be attached to on the bottom? I can spin the red thing it all the way around.

2. Since I have the front slammed all the way down and I want to keep it that way, should I just take out the GC's in the front ONLY altogether? I like the rears the way they are (almost all the way up) so I would leave those in. Can I just have the Eibach spring by itself and do I need to install anything else??
Old 07-02-2002, 01:53 AM

this is not an answer to your question but at least it will bump it up to the top....
on your homepage it says you have a stillen camber kit... did you have to adjust it at all with that low of a drop, cause i read before on another post that someone had installed the camber kit and never needed to adjust it.
also what type of shocks are you running?
and how low of a drop do you have it at right now.. if you know..

thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 02:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

Originally posted by asu174
I have multiple questions about my GC kit.

1. Why is the front drivers side loose? What is it supposed to be attached to on the bottom? I can spin the red thing it all the way around.

2. Since I have the front slammed all the way down and I want to keep it that way, should I just take out the GC's in the front ONLY altogether? I like the rears the way they are (almost all the way up) so I would leave those in. Can I just have the Eibach spring by itself and do I need to install anything else??
1. you should have some preload on the spring, from what you are telling me it seems like your spring perches are set so low that your springs are sitting in there loose. When you hit a hard bump can you hear your springs clanking in there? Sometimes you can bend a shock rod like that. Other kits have helper springs which are like "mini springs" that don't do anything but keep some preload on the spring so that it is not loose in there.
2. If you took out the perch, your car should sit even lower.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PS- get my other email?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:28 AM

Re: Re: Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

Originally posted by cobymoby

1. you should have some preload on the spring, from what you are telling me it seems like your spring perches are set so low that your springs are sitting in there loose. When you hit a hard bump can you hear your springs clanking in there? Sometimes you can bend a shock rod like that. Other kits have helper springs which are like "mini springs" that don't do anything but keep some preload on the spring so that it is not loose in there.
1. So should I raise up the front end a wee bit? Would that help? I don't hear clanging- more like knocking.

I have the Stillen Camber kit, but I have never had to adjust it. And I am running on stock shocks which I think are blown. I need to find a decent suspension shop in AZ........

Bryan- you've got mail.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

Originally posted by cobymoby

ALSO, will removing the coilover soften the ride at all? Won't the spring have more room to travel?
Old 07-02-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

ALSO, will removing the coilover soften the ride at all? Won't the spring have more room to travel?
BUMP. HELP!
Old 07-03-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ground Control ?? Coilover/suspension guru needed!

no, only if you replace them softer springs and/or raise the front to give it more suspension travel.