5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front Strut Tower Bar doesnt fit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:37 PM

Front Strut Tower Bar doesnt fit??

So I installed my dads front strut tower bar the other day (got it off ebay, and he specficlly told me it fits 2k2s). I got it on, but it was touching. When you accelerated hard it made this sound... took it off, its gone. Anyone have this problem? Am i just crazy??
Old 07-02-2002, 02:40 PM
The Definitive AE Master

what type of bar is this and do you have a pic of it? The stillen bar had some fitment issues, that's why it came with an extra bolt and spacer to prevent that.... your bar MIGHT be the same.. i'm not sure.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Front Strut Tower Bar doesnt fit??

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
So I installed my dads front strut tower bar the other day (got it off ebay, and he specficlly told me it fits 2k2s). I got it on, but it was touching. When you accelerated hard it made this sound... took it off, its gone. Anyone have this problem? Am i just crazy??
If it's the generic bar that you mostly see on Ebay(polished Aluminum - no labels), You need to extend the end pieces as far as they can go and still fit the holes on the mounts. Try to make sure you have the same amount of thread showing on both sides.
If it is vertical over the Throttle Body you should be good but you may need to rotate it forward slightly. Mine still touched in hard reverse (very slight grinding took care of it) but nothing in forward. These's a number of threads on this - look up in search if this doesn't help.

Shaydz
Old 07-02-2002, 05:05 PM

Hey Shadyz, very slight grinding took care of it, do you mean you took a dremel to the rear part of the bar itself? Mine also knocks while accel. in reverse, but never while in any other gear. I think it would sacrifice strength in the FSTB to grind away part of it though. I too had the fit problems, and I lengthened the bar as far as possible, and tipped it forward too. Still hits in reverse. Doh!
Old 07-02-2002, 07:46 PM
Very sound, Mike

The engine moves forward when you go in reverse thus why it hits the bar if you tilt it forward.

I spent countless minutes (okay, an hour) video taping engine movement during forward and reverse runs while adjusting my bar to find the right fitment.

The best i've been able to get is by putting it right above the manifold. Not tilted forward or backward, just straight up. If you extend each ends just right you should have a quarter of an inch to half an inch of clearance.

Just don't over-extend it or you'll risk pinching your washer line.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:08 PM

Sounds good, I'll try playing with it some more tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Neal728
Hey Shadyz, very slight grinding took care of it, do you mean you took a dremel to the rear part of the bar itself? Mine also knocks while accel. in reverse, but never while in any other gear. I think it would sacrifice strength in the FSTB to grind away part of it though. I too had the fit problems, and I lengthened the bar as far as possible, and tipped it forward too. Still hits in reverse. Doh!
Neal,
You are technically correct, but I just took off the same amount (plus a feather width more)that was getting rubbed off anyway from the TB. It really is very little. I had a buddy of mine that I trust (builds race cars - mostly Stangs) look at it and he pooh poohed the structural difference. Some may not feel comfortable with it, I do. It's is a spot about the width of half a dime and about as deep as a dime on one edge of the bar.

Soundmike,
I saw your post where you did that. Good analysis.
I extended it as far as possible and had it straight up (and have a good 1/4 - 1/2" clearance at standstill), but still got the rubbing in reverse (maybe my engine moves more). That's why I did the minor grind work. Didn't want it to mess up the TB.

Shaydz