5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Had some fun with a GTP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 10:49 PM

Had some fun with a GTP

This is not a kill story or anything. But, since I have never posted any "racing" stories, I thought I might.

As I am getting on the freeway, my buddy points out a sweet looking GTP. I can see that there are three "kids" in the car, and they come over in the lane next to me. I am still in second at about 40 mph when they start messin' around. I have a five speed, so I pop and go, shift to third and leave them behind. They gave me a thumbs up (as did I) and that was it.

The reason I say it is NOT a kill story is because I know that the GTPs are pretty bad *** from a hole shot. Taking one from a roll at the top of my power band isn't really fair.

Also, I was behind a Ford F150 SVT. Are these ALL Lighning? I was behind a blue hair in a pretty trick F150 SVT coming off an on ramp. I dindn't think he would do anything, but as soon as we hit the interstate, he tromped on it. (As did I) I reeled him in pretty quick. This tells me one of two things:

1. Not all F150 SVTs are Lightnings.

2. He DID NOT tromp on it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2002, 12:11 AM

not everyone has a deathwish
Old 07-03-2002, 12:19 AM

if it said SVT F150...it wasnt an SVT vehicle.

the lightning doesnt say F150 anywhere on it.

there was no other SVT F-series.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by slvr2KSE5
if it said SVT F150...it wasnt an SVT vehicle.

the lightning doesnt say F150 anywhere on it.

there was no other SVT F-series.
I think this one says SVT F150... It's hard to say but it is the best picture I could get.

It's a 2000 model year.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:02 AM

hmm. maybe a test model. if i remember correctly (we only have 4 on the island) they only say lightning. my employer doesnt bring in SVT models.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:15 AM

Re: Had some fun with a GTP

Originally posted by jjames
This is not a kill story or anything. But, since I have never posted any "racing" stories, I thought I might.

As I am getting on the freeway, my buddy points out a sweet looking GTP. I can see that there are three "kids" in the car, and they come over in the lane next to me. I am still in second at about 40 mph when they start messin' around. I have a five speed, so I pop and go, shift to third and leave them behind. They gave me a thumbs up (as did I) and that was it.

The reason I say it is NOT a kill story is because I know that the GTPs are pretty bad *** from a hole shot. Taking one from a roll at the top of my power band isn't really fair.

Also, I was behind a Ford F150 SVT. Are these ALL Lighning? I was behind a blue hair in a pretty trick F150 SVT coming off an on ramp. I dindn't think he would do anything, but as soon as we hit the interstate, he tromped on it. (As did I) I reeled him in pretty quick. This tells me one of two things:

Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure the Lightnings say "Lightning" on them...not too sure about the SVT thing. Did you hear the S/C whine? The Lightnings have a pretty loud, distinctive whine to them. They also happen to dip into the 13s in the 1/4 mile, stock.

Tony
Old 07-04-2002, 06:36 AM

Re: Had some fun with a GTP

Originally posted by jjames

Thoughts?
He just had SVT badges on his F150. There is no way of reeling in a true Lightning unless you had a supercharger or his supercharger was dead. When those trucks are running correctly they are very fast.

One thing though, how old do you think the truck was? The older lightnings, 1994, were nothing more than a dressed up F150. There was not much motor work done.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:05 AM

I beat an '02 SVT lightning......

On my 100 shot