5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 06:28 PM

I have Bridgestone Potenzas 17" (stock with a 2K SE w/ C&C package)

What's the proper pressure [cold] (cuz this has been nagging me.. the tires say 40'something (i think, i may be wrong), but the sticker in the car say 32, and the tech doing the oil change said 30'something) In either case, all of these sources were conflicting...

?

Also, is there any reason to believe that it's better to vary the pressure (ie. add more during winter, and let some air out for warmer weather?)

Old 12-07-2000, 07:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Stick with about 33 all around.

As the temp gets higher, the pressure will increase...
Old 12-07-2000, 07:52 PM

I'm keping mine at 35. The last 2 weeks has been F$@#$% cold in CT. I've had to re-fill 3 times, plus my max sits outside all Night
Old 12-07-2000, 07:55 PM

So it is prudent to increase pressure with dropping temperatures?

Originally posted by Buzz
I'm keping mine at 35. The last 2 weeks has been F$@#$% cold in CT. I've had to re-fill 3 times, plus my max sits outside all Night
Old 12-07-2000, 08:13 PM

Yes! with colder temps you will loose pressure. Just like the tires getting hot from a long drive will increase the pressure. Always check your pressure before you drive anywhere. Try not to drive too far to get air or else the tires get too hot and you won't get an accurate read. I believe the temp has to drop below 25 or 20 degrees in order to start loosing. I kind of forgot about this until I noticed my gas milage was REALLY BAD. I checked my tires, they were on 25PSI...I didn't even notice...
Old 12-07-2000, 08:48 PM
wht2kmax

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
32 is good....soaked up bumps better, under 32..feels crappy sloppy handling and tire scrub...above 32, stiffer ever so slightly, rattles make themselves known.
Eibach-Stock Shocks. Tokico's will solve that...35...I know I was feeling it in my kidneys.
BTW underinflate = more heat build up, so why lower pressure in the summer ?

-Peace
Best advice, check it every 2 weeks or so, keep in around 34PSI, good balance between ride comfort and handling. Want more?? Get yourself a real set of performance tires.

Jason
00 Maxima SE A/T with 2% secret sauce

Old 12-07-2000, 08:57 PM
wht2kmax

You 16" riding monkey... 34 is kinda high for 16's ? Thought they were 29Psi on the 215/55R16's

-Peace
Excuse me, Mr.Monkeyness~~

The man was referring to the "Potenzas" which i believe are the 17s that came with the C&C pkg(correct me if I am wrong) I am answer his question. As matter of fact.. Yes i do have the 16 Toyo..... til tom.

Jason

Old 12-07-2000, 09:14 PM
wht2kmax

What'cha know about potenza's in 17" ?

-Burn the Rice...
Not much to be praised about those tires really....

Jason

Old 12-08-2000, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by tomz17
I have Bridgestone Potenzas 17" (stock with a 2K SE w/ C&C package)

What's the proper pressure [cold] (cuz this has been nagging me.. the tires say 40'something (i think, i may be wrong), but the sticker in the car say 32, and the tech doing the oil change said 30'something) In either case, all of these sources were conflicting...

?

Also, is there any reason to believe that it's better to vary the pressure (ie. add more during winter, and let some air out for warmer weather?)

I have found that a little more air in front and a little less in the rear helps the balance of the car - seat-of-the pants tuning got me to 34f/29r. This isn't that different from where my FWDroad race cars ended up tuning using tire tread temps. You do need to add/remove air to keep the same cold pressures when the ambient temp changes.

Dave
Old 12-08-2000, 05:51 AM

40 psi

I increased to 40 psi a few months back (when the Ford Explorer/Firestone thing was continually in the news).

The car has handled great with the higher pressure, and the ride has not appeared to be any harsher.
Old 12-08-2000, 06:45 AM

cold weather pressure

I check my tire pressure every few days, especially after dramatic temperature changes. Every 10 degress F is worth 1 psi. If you feel your car is sluggish during winter, that might be the cause.
Old 12-08-2000, 12:55 PM

Ya.. I was asking about the 17" Bridgestone Potenzas... So the consensus is that for NORMAL driving, it's best to maintain 32-34 PSI COLD??

Old 12-08-2000, 05:08 PM
tommytutune

Potenza's

Nissan's recomendation is the one to go with if your are not driving hard. I found it to be too sloppy in hard turns so I ran mine at 40.

PS I upgraded to Potenza re730's from the factory re92's and I can't begin to explain the difference. It went from "mmm nice ride" to "Jesus Christ I think I am going to be sick!" : )
You guys should ride with me before you badmouth all potenza's!
I run them at 40 as well, not harsh at all.

Old 12-08-2000, 06:23 PM

My 17" tires say 40 pressure, if I remember correctly. I can't find the sticker in the car, where is it?
Martin
Old 12-08-2000, 06:40 PM

The sticker should be under the armrest.. (to the driver's right)

Just open the compartment, and its glued to the top..
Old 12-08-2000, 08:01 PM

Thank you tomz17
The manual says the sticker is in the glove box; it is not, it is in the console box, like you said. 15 months, and I never knew. As has been pointed out, the tire wall gives a different pressure figure than the sticker. I forgot which is the one to use
Martin
The sticker should be under the armrest.. (to the driver's right)

Just open the compartment, and its glued to the top..
Old 12-08-2000, 08:06 PM

No prob... The disagreement between the sticker and tire wall is what led me to post this question in the first place...

Thus far, I have concluded that within a certain tolerance (ie +/- at least 5 psi), it's completely up to your personal preference.

Low to mid 30's seems to be what most people use... The Nissan tech confirmed this, when he was checking my pressure during an oil change...

Some have pumped it up to 40, and swear by the results...

As long as you check your tires cold (regularly), you don't have to worry about temperature..

Old 12-09-2000, 06:42 AM

No prob... The disagreement between the sticker and tire wall is what led me to post this question in the first place...

Thus far, I have concluded that within a certain tolerance (ie +/- at least 5 psi), it's completely up to your personal preference.

Low to mid 30's seems to be what most people use... The Nissan tech confirmed this, when he was checking my pressure during an oil change...

Some have pumped it up to 40, and swear by the results...

As long as you check your tires cold (regularly), you don't have to worry about temperature..

The pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum for that tire, no matter what car. It is also the pressure at which that tire has it's maximum and rated load capacity. The number in the console is the recommendation for the oe tire on that car.

Old 12-13-2000, 08:57 PM
Mark Maxima

I have the 16" rims

33/30 psi recommendations. Tires can only have a maximum of 35psi. As others stated here, tire pressure decreases as temperature decreases. As you drive, the air expands. I've had these tires at 36psi and ran at 80mph for 1 1/2hours. No problems but the steering feel felt sharp almost to the point of nervousness. Oddly, 36psi actually increased the ride comfort and bumps are soaks with a single thunk and actually made the tires quieter. Usually, more psi, stiffer ride. I have noticed going around corners at the same speed as 33/30psi, the 36psi tires kind of skided easier and felt less stable. I then changed the tires to 31/28psi. Big mistake. the car looses stablility on crosswinds easily and feels tippy. But, the tires did ride softer on concrete, but with more noise and the handling felt more stable. My opinion, Stick with the the sticker in your car says. The manufactorer selected this psi for a perfect balance of ride, handling, quietness, and fuel economy. The PSI on the tires are the maximum the tire can hold and if you go way way over that, the tire is a saftey hazard and can burst at high speeds causing an accident. But, going lower can deform the tires and tire has a risk of comming of its rim. Big no no for your rims!

Old 12-13-2000, 09:13 PM

I like my tires around 40 psi, because I do a lot of highway miles and you get better mileage. Your tires roll more efficient when they are harder. They can also blow easier to. Whatever you like but stay above 30 at least.