5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

turning radius

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 07:43 PM

WTF is with this? i used to drive an expedition before my 2000 maxima and it could make a u-turn in less lanes...if i turn my wheel all the way before the turn even starts, i can make the u-turn in about 2 1/2 but if i don't, i can barely make a 3 lane u turn (if i turn the wheel while i'm going...all the way)...i really don't understand this...i see other cars do it in 2 lanes w/ no sweat and i'm worried about scraping my rim on a 3 lane uturn...when i went to nissan to change the tcm, the guy wanted me to take a test drive in a new se and then in mine...i made a uturn one time during this test drive and remembered to ask him about the crappy turning radius...he said it was normal for cars of this size (BS?)...i didn't think so...my parents have a 95 volvo 850 GLT wagon (WAGON G'DAMNIT) and it has the best turning radius of the 3 cars at the house (mine, the expedition, the volvo)...i really don't understand this...the volvo is easy to park but my car is not...has anyone noticed that the maxima is not very easy to park and when going in forwards (not backing in) to parking spaces usually takes a couple tries? don't get me wrong, i can make right and left turns faster than most cars on the road, but i get pissed off at this uturn radius...i will often have to turn onto a sidestreet and make a 3-pt. turn and go right onto the street i wanted to make a u-turn onto...i shouldn't have to do this...is there anything we can do?
Old 12-07-2000, 08:00 PM

I haven't noticed... sorry (was too captivated by the Maxima's performance to pay much attention to turning radius)

Anyway, I have a different, but sorta related question.. Speed Sensitive steering.. On which models is it available?

Old 12-07-2000, 09:44 PM

you are absolutely correct. this car has a horrible turning diameter. a lot of the times i think i can manuever into a parking spot at the mall in one swoop, but i have to back up then pull back in again. WTF is up with that???
Old 12-07-2000, 09:49 PM

I think front wheel drive cars have a bigger turning radius since it has more stuff in the engine bay. The other two cars you mentions are rwd (i think), so their turning radii are smaller. Actually, maxima's turning radius not that bad comparing to my 95 Talon, it can only turn 1 1/2 (kinda unbelievable).
Old 12-07-2000, 10:46 PM

Recently i went to get my car serviced because of a terrible noise coming from the front. It was because the turn stops had rubbed off. They are made of plastic. The service department people told me that it was from having the turned all the way too much. Something all of you can look forward to.
Old 12-08-2000, 05:23 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by tomz17

Anyway, I have a different, but sorta related question.. Speed Sensitive steering.. On which models is it available?

Don't all models have speed senesitive steering? At least that's what I thought.
Old 12-08-2000, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Don't all models have speed senesitive steering? At least that's what I thought.

Yup you hit it on the head. "speed senesitive steering?" if you slow down you will get a beter turn, however it's turning radius is wide. /Colin
Old 12-08-2000, 06:18 AM

turning

Before I bought my new SE, I test drove a used 95 GXE and I was amazed at how little room it needed to turn in a circle. I have not tried that with my 2001 SE, but I have noticed that I usually miscalculate my parking and have to back up and retry. It's pretty embarassing because sometimes the space looks plenty wide enough to pull in clean. I attributed it to the fact that I used to drive a Corolla and was not fully accustomed to my Max (<2500 miles). I don't feel so bad now that others are having the same problem. I consider myself a very good driver. Most everyone else thinks I'm a terrible driver, but that is because I drive fast, not because of technique
Old 12-08-2000, 12:51 PM
sentient

Turning radius is comparable...

I just read the consumer reports 2001 preview magazine and looked up the turning radius numbers. For the Maxima if I remember right, it was 39 ft. I remember reading the Camry and Accord are very similar (either 39 or 40), and some of the other mid-size cards I looked up are about the same. One article I read also said the Maxima's turning radius is good for the size of the vehicle.

sentient

Old 12-08-2000, 01:07 PM

Actually, by speed sensitive steering, I meant the amount of power steering aid.... I read somwehre, (don't remember where), that under higher speeds, on some models, the power steering cuts back in order to simulate the stiffer feel of sports cars.. Where under lower speeds, power steering is working full-time, in order to allow stuff you do stuff like parking, with ease...

Originally posted by DeTrini
Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Yup you hit it on the head. "speed senesitive steering?" if you slow down you will get a beter turn, however it's turning radius is wide. /Colin
Old 12-08-2000, 01:13 PM

i've read that too but under slow driving, it is fairly strong but you don't have a very good turning radius...thats what makes parking kinda hard...under higher speeds you get much more response and it feels much more sportscar-like
Old 12-08-2000, 02:59 PM
one2njoy

Speed Sensitive Steering

Originally posted by MrBurner
i've read that too but under slow driving, it is fairly strong but you don't have a very good turning radius...thats what makes parking kinda hard...under higher speeds you get much more response and it feels much more sportscar-like
I think that Mr. Burner doesn't understand speed sensitive steering, no offense bud.... but The way it works is that at slow speeds the powersteering will be working at full meaning more turns of the steering wheel to get the actual wheel moving, but it will take less effort. The faster you go the less power steering is used meaning that you move the steering wheel a bit and the car turns...so at high speeds with speed sensitive steering its just like you are driving a car without power steering. The main idea is that you will have a easy time parking and still take advantage of responsive steering at high speeds. The turning radius stays the same no matter what.

Old 12-08-2000, 03:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I dislike our turning radius very much... Given the same conditions and all, I cannot make a U turn in my 2k compared to the 97. Sucks...
Old 12-08-2000, 03:56 PM

funny thing is, i didn't really pay too much attention at the dealer when he told me to back the car out of a tight spot, and get it ready for a test drive (by myself). however, i should have known because my brother had to direct me out of that tight spot. even though i was turning the wheels as much as it could go, it took me 20 min just to get out of there.

having a small turning radius can come in handy in tight driving situations, but unfortunately the max doesn't have that!
Old 12-08-2000, 05:36 PM

Turning Radius

The turning radius for the Maxima with 16" wheels is 35.4 ft. The turning radius for the Maxima with 17" wheels is 40 ft. These turning radius are right out of the Maxima product Guide book issued to dealers. I agree the turning radius with the 17" wheels stink. I new that Nissan put wheel lock outs on the Maxima with 17" wheels to prevent the higher profile wheel from contacting the wheel well, but the 17s look so much nicer so I still went for the 17" wheels.

[Edited by 2000MaxSE on 12-08-2000 at 07:54 PM]
Old 12-08-2000, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by MrBurner
WTF is with this? i used to drive an expedition before my 2000 maxima and it could make a u-turn in less lanes...if i turn my wheel all the way before the turn even starts, i can make the u-turn in about 2 1/2 but if i don't, i can barely make a 3 lane u turn (if i turn the wheel while i'm going...all the way)...i really don't understand this...i see other cars do it in 2 lanes w/ no sweat and i'm worried about scraping my rim on a 3 lane uturn...when i went to nissan to change the tcm, the guy wanted me to take a test drive in a new se and then in mine...i made a uturn one time during this test drive and remembered to ask him about the crappy turning radius...he said it was normal for cars of this size (BS?)...i didn't think so...my parents have a 95 volvo 850 GLT wagon (WAGON G'DAMNIT) and it has the best turning radius of the 3 cars at the house (mine, the expedition, the volvo)...i really don't understand this...the volvo is easy to park but my car is not...has anyone noticed that the maxima is not very easy to park and when going in forwards (not backing in) to parking spaces usually takes a couple tries? don't get me wrong, i can make right and left turns faster than most cars on the road, but i get pissed off at this uturn radius...i will often have to turn onto a sidestreet and make a 3-pt. turn and go right onto the street i wanted to make a u-turn onto...i shouldn't have to do this...is there anything we can do?
Ive noticed it also!!!!!!!! This is something that I hate about my 2000 MAX. Im afraid that one day Im going to hit a curb,while making a wide turn, and ruin one of my rims and mess up the alignment.
Old 12-12-2000, 06:57 PM

Re: Turning Radius

Originally posted by 2000MaxSE
The turning radius for the Maxima with 16" wheels is 35.4 ft. The turning radius for the Maxima with 17" wheels is 40 ft. These turning radius are right out of the Maxima product Guide book issued to dealers. I agree the turning radius with the 17" wheels stink. I new that Nissan put wheel lock outs on the Maxima with 17" wheels to prevent the higher profile wheel from contacting the wheel well, but the 17s look so much nicer so I still went for the 17" wheels.

This is definitely true! I had a '91 and when I got the 2000 w/17" I couldn't believe how poorly it turned while parking, etc. I recently rented a GXE (smaller rims) on business and I swore that it had a tighter radius. I nearly convinced myself that I was imagining it. Guess not!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:30 PM

Re: Turning Radius

wow... I wonder how mine is. I bought my SE before the 17's were available, so I added them aftermarket, so I'm assuming I should have the 16" turning radius... unless 215/55/16s turn more tightly than 235/45/17s.

Originally posted by 2000MaxSE

Old 12-13-2000, 06:09 AM

When I looked on the Infinity site, I saw that the turning circle on the i30t is also smaller than the standard i30 (same amount as the Maximas). So Nissan has the same differences between the two lines.