5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

JETTA GLI VR6 6speed deal went through

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Wow....Why is everyone flaming this guys purchase??? The Jetta is a very nice car. I would have personally gotten a 1.8T over the VR6 though. The interior of the Jetta is nicer than our guys. A lot of people in here are very biased towards there Maximas, but you gotta give credit where its due. VW/Audi right now is the industry leader in interiors.
German cars in general are playing catchup to Japanese cars when it comes to ergonomics; though they have narrowed the gap in the past few years. (Forget the Maxima for a moment and compare the interior of the A4 2.8 Quattro to that of the Lexus ES 300: you just can't sell me on the A4 'having a better interior' than an ES.)

Bottomline is most of us have had or know someone whose had some seriously bad experiences with VW in general. Despite these shortcomings and manufacturing quirks, VW does have a STRONG following and some of the most loyal customers in existence. (This sort of explains why Saab is still in business.)

I think a big part of VW's allure is the fact that it's not some generically styled, personality lacking Japanese/Korean model and is considered by some folks to be a BMW/MB primer. (The latter especially applies to 'just out of college kids' who plan to model their car buying after their career growth: Jetta/Golf > 3 series BMW/C Class > E class/5 Series > 7 series/S Class)
Old 07-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Keven97SE

Re: JETTA GLI VR6 6speed deal went through

Nice car. They look great and are (now with the 200 HP engine) quick, too. High quality details. Although the reliability won't be like a Nissan product, they are still decent.

Screw the guys who say they are for ghey guys. They're concern about a car being ghey indicates they have issues with their own sexuality. Any man who is truly comfortable with himself can do whatever the hell they want. Just look at Poison. Dude, those femms pulled so much hootie it ain't even funny. Makeup and all.

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
I just need to sign papers, which I'll do Tomorrow. The Maxima is going to my younger brother, hopefully he'll enjoy it as much as I did.

say JETTA GLI VR6 6SPEED 20 times super fast and get a free sucker.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:13 PM

Re: Re: JETTA GLI VR6 6speed deal went through

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Nice car. They look great and are (now with the 200 HP engine) quick, too. High quality details. Although the reliability won't be like a Nissan product, they are still decent.

Screw the guys who say they are for ghey guys. They're concern about a car being ghey indicates they have issues with their own sexuality. Any man who is truly comfortable with himself can do whatever the hell they want. Just look at Poison. Dude, those femms pulled so much hootie it ain't even funny. Makeup and all.

Thanks dude, guess we can all go back to wearing makeup and we'll really score with chicks now. After all we'll be driving Maxes, known to the civilized world as absolute babe magnets.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:27 PM
RussMaxManiac

Until you drive the newer model Jettas don't say a word please.

I almost bought one but they could never get the one I wanted after waiting a month. The car is defintely more refined than the Maxima 2001 model I had. The seats are better (2002 they put better seats in the Jettas), and many other updates.

Originally posted by asu174

I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore this one under the assumption that you are saying this blasphemous statement so VQ doesn't regret buying the Jetta.

Wink, wink..... Uh, yeah you're right the Jetta has a much more luxurious interior than the Maxima!! Wink, wink.

In all seriousness, the Jetta VR6 has a great looking exterior and it is a solid, reliable ride. But from a luxury standpoint, you cannot even begin to compare it to the Maxima.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:30 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: JETTA GLI VR6 6speed deal went through

Originally posted by Keven97SE

The reliability may not be as good as Nissan, but VW warranty is much longer standard, and better service.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:43 PM
RussMaxManiac

From AutoWeek...VW is one of the best for interior.

AutoWeek:

The Z's interior has a way to go to meet the quality of Honda or Toyota, let alone industry leader VW/Audi. A plastic panel covering a storage bin, really a vacuous spot where a navigation system screen would sit, is one of the more ill-fitting pieces we’ve seen. It not only looks bad, it doesn’t work right, wiggling side to side and binding in its operation. We’d complain less about such a small matter if Nissan didn’t boast of best-in-class interior quality on this car or others. Still, the interior is not so much “bad,” as that it under-delivers on Nissan’s promise that no one will get in this car and feel let down by the interior quality in this price category.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:50 PM
I miss the .org!

How can it be "pretending" if ALL of the same components are used? I think your flame should be directed towards Infiniti for charging $10,000 more than a Maxima, only to get an analog clock and a shiny front grill.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I was saying the Jetta is a poor man's luxury car. Haven't you seen their advertising campaign boasting that it's luxury, and German, etc... My point is the Max is nice, a compromise of different worlds, but it's no BMW. Anybody who thinks it is, is only lying to themselves.

True the interior of Jettas and Passats do look pretty nice. I've been in it, and I liked it. They're still gay though...
Old 07-07-2002, 12:55 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

Maybe you misunderstood me. I was saying the Jetta is a poor man's luxury car. Haven't you seen their advertising campaign boasting that it's luxury, and German, etc... My point is the Max is nice, a compromise of different worlds, but it's no BMW. Anybody who thinks it is, is only lying to themselves.

True the interior of Jettas and Passats do look pretty nice. I've been in it, and I liked it. They're still gay though...
This is what I do not understand. Why do you people think the Jetta is GAY?

The BUG with its flower holder of course is, the Cabrio is as well. But the Jetta is just another 4 door car.

So don't say its gay when it isn't. I see alot of guys driving them as well as women. ****, I see more women driving Maximas than men where I live, so should the Maxima be classified as a gay car?

Old 07-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I see more women driving Maximas than men where I live, so should the Maxima be classified as a gay car?
That's exactly why it IS a gay car. Mostly women drive it. Perhaps a better term for it would be a "chick car"- kind of like Eclipses and Civics. Plus, gay dudes like Volkswagens and Volvos. I have no idea why, but they do.

I actually like the look of the car a lot. I always thought a slammed Jetta VR6 with a spoiler and some 18"s would look awesome! And it was in my top 5 choices of cars. The cheesy interior and horrible body sway ruled that car out. And good luck putting 3 passengers in the backseat.

And I have seen the 2002. I just realized my mormon buddy's is a 2K2. I honestly did not see that much difference between the 2k and the 2k2.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

I totally misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you were saying the Max is an imitation......

AutoWeek:

The Z's interior has a way to go to meet the quality of Honda or Toyota, let alone industry leader VW/Audi. A plastic panel covering a storage bin, really a vacuous spot where a navigation system screen would sit, is one of the more ill-fitting pieces we’ve seen. It not only looks bad, it doesn’t work right, wiggling side to side and binding in its operation. We’d complain less about such a small matter if Nissan didn’t boast of best-in-class interior quality on this car or others. Still, the interior is not so much “bad,” as that it under-delivers on Nissan’s promise that no one will get in this car and feel let down by the interior quality in this price category.
I always wondered what they were going to put in place of the navigation screen. Noting is more irritating than black "fill plates" for options that you did not get. Guess it's the "Track" model for me....someday.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

That's exactly why it IS a gay car. Mostly women drive it. Perhaps a better term for it would be a "chick car"- kind of like Eclipses and Civics. Plus, gay dudes like Volkswagens and Volvos. I have no idea why, but they do.

I actually like the look of the car a lot. I always thought a slammed Jetta VR6 with a spoiler and some 18"s would look awesome! And it was in my top 5 choices of cars. The cheesy interior and horrible body sway ruled that car out. And good luck putting 3 passengers in the backseat.

And I have seen the 2002. I just realized my mormon buddy's is a 2K2. I honestly did not see that much difference between the 2k and the 2k2.
Horrible body sway? That car will out handle a Maxima anyday. I loved the way the Jetta handled.

Old 07-07-2002, 01:52 PM

Horrible body sway? That car will out handle a Maxima anyday. I loved the way the Jetta handled.
I went through the same curvy mountain pass in each car I test drove at the exact same speed. I literally thought I was going to roll a 2000 Passat, 2000 Jetta and a 1999 Jetta (the 99 was horrible).

The best car by far was a Mitsubishi Eclipse. That one was sweet. But I passed on it because of Mitsubishi's reliability and outrageous insurance (not to mention a VERY cheesy interior- The Jetta is a Benz compared to the Eclipse interior....)
Old 07-07-2002, 01:58 PM
RussMaxManiac

I went through the same curvy mountain pass in each car I test drove at the exact same speed. I literally thought I was going to roll a 2000 Passat, 2000 Jetta and a 1999 Jetta (the 99 was horrible).

The best car by far was a Mitsubishi Eclipse. That one was sweet. But I passed on it because of Mitsubishi's reliability and outrageous insurance (not to mention a VERY cheesy interior)
Dunno about 2000, but I drove a 2002 Jetta nad 2002 GTI....they both would kill my 2k1 Max with RSB and STB in the turns easily.

Old 07-07-2002, 02:00 PM

Dunno about 2000, but I drove a 2002 Jetta nad 2002 GTI....they both would kill my 2k1 Max with RSB and STB in the turns easily.
One note- I think the ties played a huge part in it too. Both the Jetta and Passat had stock 16" tires. The Eclipse and Max had 17"s.

I'm gonna take my buddy's out tomorrow if he'll let me.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:18 PM
lcf

is your buddy gay?
Old 07-07-2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by lcf
is your buddy gay?
No, he's a rich daddy's boy- the next best thing.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

And lots and lots of hot chicks....
hot chicks and gay guys drive jetta's mostly,

no offense to the post starter, it's just what me and my friends have seen, one of my friends drives a jetta but he's not gay(only one so far)

good luck with yoru new car.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:00 PM
RussMaxManiac

One note- I think the ties played a huge part in it too. Both the Jetta and Passat had stock 16" tires. The Eclipse and Max had 17"s.

The ones I drove had 17s.

Old 07-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This thread is way outta control...

btw, is there a rainbow sticker package available for the Jetta?
Old 07-07-2002, 03:26 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by bmwdriven

Yeah, it looks like this
Old 07-07-2002, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by bmwdriven

Old 07-07-2002, 03:44 PM

I see more black people driving Maximas than white people where I live, so should the Maxima be classified as a black person's car?
Old 07-07-2002, 03:58 PM

This has nothing to do with race.

Generally speaking, women prefer "cute" cars that are effiminately styled, but don't give you much in terms of performance. Cars like the Cabriolet, Civic, and Jetta fit this description. It just seems a little odd that a guy would sell a Maxima to get into one of these cars. Either he's trying to attract more poontang with a "cuter" car, or well... you know.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:12 PM

99% of this threads posts, and the above quoted post in particular, are idiotic. What makes a 'mans' car to you people then??? Are you homosexual if you dont drive an 87 Camaro with flames and rumbling exhaust or a new Dodge pick up (that shares an eerie similarity with the Maximas rear suspension) with a loud diesel engine???? Does a manly man actually drive a plain jane four door sedan of any type? Come on people. I dont think the Civic, Jetta, or Eclipse are girls cars, plus I'm really curious of how you got the info that only gay people drive Jettas. Do the gay Jetta drivers get along with the macho Maxima drivers that beat S4 drivers easily??? Oh, I digress...
Old 07-07-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Maximus1000

99% of this threads posts, and the above quoted post in particular, are idiotic. What makes a 'mans' car to you people then??? Are you homosexual if you dont drive an 87 Camaro with flames and rumbling exhaust or a new Dodge pick up (that shares an eerie similarity with the Maximas rear suspension) with a loud diesel engine???? Does a manly man actually drive a plain jane four door sedan of any type? Come on people. I dont think the Civic, Jetta, or Eclipse are girls cars, plus I'm really curious of how you got the info that only gay people drive Jettas. Do the gay Jetta drivers get along with the macho Maxima drivers that beat S4 drivers easily??? Oh, I digress...
Ok then, trade your Maxima in for a VW Cabriolet and let me know how that works out for ya.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:22 PM

Well, I wouldn't drive the Cabrio because I think it looks stupid, not gay. Plus, its not like I'm getting tons of chics in the Maxima. Maybe if mine had navigation..........
Old 07-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I wouldn't drive the Cabrio because I think it looks stupid, not gay. Plus, its not like I'm getting tons of chics in the Maxima. Maybe if mine had navigation..........
i am, but i don't have the nav. must be the neons, chicks love neons.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:44 PM

Yeah, i too love the feeling that you're going to slide across 3 lanes on the highway if you're going 20km's over the speed limit also
Old 07-07-2002, 04:49 PM

On the upside to the Jetta, i think they created a beautiful looking car and you all have to admit that they don't have one thing that ****es most of us off so much about the Max, WHEEL GAP! Also, the 1.8T is very cheap to mod for some amazing HP gains, (even tho he did get the VR6, i would've taken this sucker)... Congrats
Old 07-07-2002, 04:58 PM

99% of this threads posts, and the above quoted post in particular, are idiotic.
Amen to that
Old 07-07-2002, 05:05 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Not as IDIOTIC as you guys comparing a Max to a Jetta ! If you love it so much go buy one so we can all you !
Old 07-07-2002, 05:18 PM

Actually if I was in the market all over again for a new four door, I'd take the GLI VR6 over a new Maxima. Thats just me though.

You call a Jetta vs Maxima comparison unfair.....oh really? It seems that any car the Maxima can (allegedly) beat is fair game, but any car it cant is not. What sort of comparison logic are we using here?
Old 07-07-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

hot chicks and gay guys drive jetta's mostly,

no offense to the post starter, it's just what me and my friends have seen, one of my friends drives a jetta but he's not gay(only one so far)

good luck with yoru new car.
hehehe... so far

I've been given rides in and racing a Jetta all last week... it's the little things that make me like this car. The interior is so solid and nice compared to Maxima interiors. With frankencar, I think I've worked on just about every year Maxima available ... and I think I have a valid point. Jetta vs. Maxima in handling, german handling is definately really good. Not the best (some body roll) but better than the Max.

In the Maxima's defense, the VQ still owns me. But that's obvious because I know much more about Maxima's than VW's . The interior room is also pleasing after a while. The Jetta still felt small coming home from racing... made my muscles a bit sore. .

I like the Maxima, but the Jetta definately should be given credit, who cares whether or not its gay, as long as you're happy...

- M
Old 07-07-2002, 05:28 PM

I 100% agree, I was hooked to jetta's handling/steering feel after I drove it. maybe it doesn't handle super good but I love how it felt.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

All I will say is that:

God's Chariot = Maxima

You guys have once again proved how biased this site is.

And once again many of you have proved in words how childish you are.

Adults don't call cars Gay, or words like that. So grow up.

My .02 cents.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:09 PM

not everyone is
Old 07-07-2002, 06:14 PM

Actually if I was in the market all over again for a new four door, I'd take the GLI VR6 over a new Maxima. Thats just me though.

You call a Jetta vs Maxima comparison unfair.....oh really? It seems that any car the Maxima can (allegedly) beat is fair game, but any car it cant is not. What sort of comparison logic are we using here?
If I had to do it again, I'd have gone for an I35 instead.

As for the Jetta vs Maxima comparison, we ARE comparing apples and oranges: The Maxima's competition in the VW arena is the Passat NOT the Jetta. When I was shopping around for a replacement for my Accord, I considered the Passat (as well as the Accord EXV6 and Acura 3.2TL). The Jetta was never a consideration as it's a kiddie car (i.e.: Civic Si). (Though most of the folks in my job's parking deck with Jettas ARE women, I don't think its fair to call them 'Gay')

As for us singling out the Jetta because the Maxima can outperform it and not aiming at others that may be better is very untrue!! A simple search of this forum will reveal loads of 'Maxima vs TL-S', 'Maxima vs GSXXX' and 'Maxima vs BMW' threads. In each of these instances, the Maxima is being compared to cars (IN THIS CLASS) that are at a minimum equivalent to if not better than the Max.

For most of us, going from a Maxima to a Jetta IS a step down by virtue of the fact that you'd be going from a midsize sedan to a compact sedan. (My Maxima's replacement will be a 540i, which I would deem as its a lot more car than the Max.)

Again, I won't don't want to disrespect ScreamingVQ because ITS HIS MONEY TO SPEND. ScreamingVQ, enjoy your new toy bro.

Peace.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:56 PM

Guess what, Spiderman drives a Jetta too.

I told him about this thread and this is what he had to say:

http://b3ta.com/spidermanwillmakeyougay/

Old 07-07-2002, 07:16 PM

All I will say is that:

God's Chariot = Maxima

And once again many of you have proved in words how childish you are.

Adults don't call cars Gay, or words like that. So grow up.

My .02 cents.
For once i have to agree with Russ, grow up people and compare cars for cars.......some of the most idiotic threads ever posted on here.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:05 PM
is invisible

Let's slam him some more!

You're a ghey-**** for buying that POS ghey Jetta! Yeah!

Seriously, the GLI is a nice car...I hope you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: JETTA GLI VR6 6speed deal went through