5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Judder Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 08:23 AM

Brake Judder Question

I have been having the same problem as what has
been described in the technical service bulletin
as Brake Judder. I'm hoping to bring it in to
Nissan and possibly have it fixed under warranty.
My question is am I crazy to think they'll actually
do it for free after having 33,000 miles without a
brake job? Is it possible that it's still brake
judder or are they just going to tell me that
I need a set of brakes?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: Brake Judder Question

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7
as Brake Judder. I'm hoping to bring it in to
Nissan and possibly have it fixed under warranty.
My question is am I crazy to think they'll actually
do it for free after having 33,000 miles without a
brake job? Is it possible that it's still brake
judder or are they just going to tell me that
I need a set of brakes?

Thanks.
Sorry, "set of brakes" means just rotors and pads, right? If dealer will try to give you extra BS - don't buy it, it's a simple job can be done at home for about 2 hours beer included . Our cars made pretty servicable in that matter. Yes, there's THE TSB on the judder but most dealers tend not to honour it, at least easy way. Time & efforts you spend at a dealership doesn't worth it. Give it a try, though. Best way is to talk to service manager in case of slightiest complications right away not spending time with guys who simply can't make those decisions.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it stated in the TSB that brake judder is under 3year/36k warranty. bring that piece of document and see what they have to say. of course some of them are going to say "well, we have to determine that the problem is due to factory defect" in that case, they will have to "inspect" the car and charge u 95 dollar for 1 hour of labor. So, I would call around and ask whcih nissan dealer is willing to do it under TSB.

the way they fix it just a temp. solution....it is not going to correct the problem that our rotor is made of cheap material and it not going to handle our car's weight. they just try to get us pass the 3/36k warranty.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:35 AM

Go to the dealer and say that you feel vibration when breaking, tell them it is under warrenty and they should fix it. you'll might have to switch pads in the rear but the front is for them to fix. the rear pads btw tend to end faster then the front ones ...really werid
Old 07-06-2002, 12:02 PM

Should I remove my mods before service?

I know many people have their opinions on this
kind of thing, I was hoping you guys could help.
The only things under my hood are the front strut
tower brace, cone intake and then I have my exhaust
catback. Do you think I should try to remove the
things under my hood before the service? The only
thing they could really say is that all these mods
imply that I beat on my car which is completely
untrue. What should I do?
Old 07-07-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Brake Judder Question

Originally posted by Max_5gen

Sorry, "set of brakes" means just rotors and pads, right? If dealer will try to give you extra BS - don't buy it, it's a simple job can be done at home for about 2 hours beer included .
It takes under 30 minutes per wheel to replace pads and rotors (even less if you have an air impact wrench/ratchet and compressor ;^) ) What really bugs me , though, is that Maxima rotors are $80 !!!
Rotors for a Taurus or Lumina are about $20. Almost nobody turns rotors anymore, so you either have to have them turned (and tack on 1/2 day to take them, have them turned and then pick them up at some non-descript shop) or fork over big bucks for the new rotors.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:54 PM

judder

I had my judder problem fixed under the TSB for free @ 20,000 mile.
They turned the rotors and replaced the front brake pads. I figure that will keep the problem away for at leastb 15,000 miles and then when it comes back I'll just go aftermarket for better rotors.

I did not take my FSTB off at the time of the service and the dealer didn't give me any grief.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:56 PM

I'm having new rotors (just front I hope) put on Wednesday at a repair place in town. I've had the rotors cur twice under the TSB. I'm currently just over 57k but have been living with warped brakes since about 43K or so.

Shop were I am having it done was pretty shocked I need new rotors so soon....he assured me he will get American or Canadian made rotors...I trust this guy so hopefully he'll do me right..

Brakes on the Maxima are pathetic.....
Old 07-07-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Judder Question

Originally posted by SSandMaxima

It takes under 30 minutes per wheel to replace pads and rotors (even less if you have an air impact wrench/ratchet and compressor ;^) ) What really bugs me , though, is that Maxima rotors are $80 !!!
Rotors for a Taurus or Lumina are about $20. Almost nobody turns rotors anymore, so you either have to have them turned (and tack on 1/2 day to take them, have them turned and then pick them up at some non-descript shop) or fork over big bucks for the new rotors.
Yes, that's what I meant - 2 hours for all 4 wheels if you feel so . It's good idea to inspect rears since our rear brake pads prone to wear out prematurely. Judder is caused by front rotors of course. BTW, turning rotors at dealership cost almost as much as new ones except judder comes back 3 times faster .
Old 07-07-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7
as Brake Judder. Thanks.
I had my car serviced three times under this TSB. Even though you are covered til 36K mi, they may refuse to do the work because "friction parts like like rotors and pads are not eligible for this soverage". Try not to buy this BS and feel free to call Nissan or go to another dealership if you're given any BS. You may want to give them an excuse that you didn't have any time to bring the car in for service, and this problem has started a while ago, to buy you some time. It is much easier to give up on Nissan and spend your own cash to replace brakes, but why would you refuse a free repair?
Old 07-07-2002, 11:12 PM

what's brake judder? when i brake from 45+ mph, the steering wheel judders/shudders. is this brake judder? this started happening after the 30K servicing. please excuse my ignorance.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:16 PM

yep

take it to the dealer and tell them there is a TSB for this and it should be fixed under warrenty.