5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Berk intake: unusual noises.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 08:56 AM

Berk intake: unusual noises.

Has anyone else been having any problems with the noise from the berk intake? i just installed it and whenever i start the car...it has all these weird air noises, not like a steady suction from the intake...and its much worse when i turn the air on, it sounds terrible...after like 30 min. of driving it does get a little better, but it is always bad at an idle with the air on...any suggestions? also my mounting bracket wasnt working because it was pulling the maf away from the throttle body and i didnt want it to pull it all the way off, so i had to use zip-ties which are kind of ghetto...anyone know a better way to secure the intake? maybe the stillen bracket? thanks for the help...
Old 07-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Berk intake: unusual noises.

Originally posted by MDCBarks10
Has anyone else been having any problems with the noise from the berk intake? i just installed it and whenever i start the car...it has all these weird air noises, not like a steady suction from the intake...and its much worse when i turn the air on, it sounds terrible...after like 30 min. of driving it does get a little better, but it is always bad at an idle with the air on...any suggestions? also my mounting bracket wasnt working because it was pulling the maf away from the throttle body and i didnt want it to pull it all the way off, so i had to use zip-ties which are kind of ghetto...anyone know a better way to secure the intake? maybe the stillen bracket? thanks for the help...
These whistling sounds are completely normal. They are VERY noticeable and normal. Just check all the connections and make sure you're solid and then just sit back and get used to the intake whistling Dixie.

FYI...the Injen CAI almost completed eliminated that whistling sound from being audible in the cabin.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:06 AM

ya i've heard that these noises are completely normal...its just the inconsistency of the noise that is different....its not like a constant loud whistling from the intake...its a combination of little noises coming from other places is what it sounds like...will a midpipe lessen these noises? also i got the berk beacuse of price, i dont want the injen its like 3-4 times as much...thanks...
Old 07-08-2002, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MDCBarks10
ya i've heard that these noises are completely normal...its just the inconsistency of the noise that is different....its not like a constant loud whistling from the intake...its a combination of little noises coming from other places is what it sounds like...will a midpipe lessen these noises? also i got the berk beacuse of price, i dont want the injen its like 3-4 times as much...thanks...
I went from Berk, to Frankencar, to Injen. The Frankencar mid-pipe will increase the whistling sound in volume.

Not being able to hear your car specifically, I cannot respond to the "inconsistency" of the sounds...sorry I can't really help there unless you can record it and post the audio file.