5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

The parking block on the first pic you posted earlier threw me off. You are pretty close to the ground. Some parts of the Addco rsb look like they hang a bit low. Maybe you should get the Stillen bar, it's more uniformly parallel. If it scrapes, the whole bar will scrape!
Ive never seen the addco bar, sure makes me glad i bought the stillen, fits awesome.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:01 AM

Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Originally posted by ms.thicknes
I drove with it AND with a full load of ADULT passengers

it was a horrible and horrendous event and I am never carrying more than myself and ONE other passenger ever again.

EVERY single damn nook and cranny and bump and dip made the rsb scrape

and scrape

and scrape

and scrape

I actually stopped and pulled over cause I thought I was driving with a friggin flat. AND YES i already had the rsb adjusted once because of the scraping over speed bumps and it has been fine for 4 days

but a full load of passengers was just horrible....

anyone else have this problem
Ok, looked at your pictures, fix is simple - just move the passenger side (only) bracket 3-4 inches toward the center of the car or until the noise stops (you'll need a ballast crew for testing).
Old 07-10-2002, 04:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Originally posted by wdave

Ok, looked at your pictures, fix is simple - just move the passenger side (only) bracket 3-4 inches toward the center of the car or until the noise stops (you'll need a ballast crew for testing).
thanks wdave...i'll try it this weekend
Old 07-10-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

How will relocating the bracket affect the RSB performance?
Old 07-10-2002, 10:24 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have pictures on homepage of my Addco, and the clearance I get . Like I said before it clears with no problem with a car load of people, and Maxspeeds. I think that my 17's make it stand higher. As far as needing ramps, and jacks, My buddy and I installed it without even lifting the car at all, and my car is lowered ! I think that Thicky, should have her suspension checked out... That does not sound normal at all !
Old 07-10-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
Like I said before it clears with no problem with a car load of people, and Maxspeeds. I think that my 17's make it stand higher. As far as needing ramps, and jacks, My buddy and I installed it without even lifting the car at all, and my car is lowered !
I'm planning to install mine on Saturday morning, and I was wondering if anyone did the job without jacking the car. Guess Kloog' answered that one for me! First handling mod; can't wait!

Buzz
Old 07-10-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: Not at all on my Max...

Originally posted by MichaelAE
I drove to Whistler, 4 hours or so, with four adult passengers and a trunk full of luggage and didn't get one scrape on the whole drive. Car was practically bottomed out on the back end, but the RSB did not scrape.
ditto
Old 07-10-2002, 11:07 AM

scrape and install

My Addco RSB was making the clunking noise over bumps too, but if you inspect it closely it should be easy to see where it is hitting. Mine was hitting on the corner of one of those flat plates that the U-Bolts go through. It was easy to see, since the corner of the plate was bent where it had been hitting. All I did to fix it was file down the corner of the plate that was hitting and it was fixed.

For the install, you don't need jacks. Find a curb and hang the butt of your car off of it...you'll have plenty of room to get in there. Make SURE you set your e-brake and leave it in gear too.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Originally posted by MaxRU

How will relocating the bracket affect the RSB performance?
Moving the bracket toward the center of the car will slightly decrease it's effectiveness but stop the noise. The real problem is that the bar was designed for the 95-99 where the transverse link is in front of the axle and never fixed for the 2k+ where the bracket's behind.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:09 PM

do you have any undercarriage rubbing if the car is lowered?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Moving the bracket toward the center of the car will slightly decrease it's effectiveness but stop the noise. The real problem is that the bar was designed for the 95-99 where the transverse link is in front of the axle and never fixed for the 2k+ where the bracket's behind.
Is it ok to move only one bracket? Or do both brackets have to be symmetrical(sp?) ?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Very sound, Mike

Now he tells me! I just came from KMart to get those $17 metal ramps. I guess i can always return these

My buddy and I installed it without even lifting the car at all, and my car is lowered !
Old 07-10-2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
do you have any undercarriage rubbing if the car is lowered?
nope....car is not lowered yet....my suspension is still stock as far as springs/struts go

i am gonna look under there today to see what part of the metal looks worn and then file it down

and also not carry a full load anymore
Old 07-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
Now he tells me! I just came from KMart to get those $17 metal ramps. I guess i can always return these

Let me use them too
Old 07-10-2002, 04:23 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Sorry Mikey !
Old 07-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Very sound, Mike

Tan, sure thing man! Btw, would you by any chance happen to stop by McDonald's on Kirby/59 the other day?

Kloogy
Old 07-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tan, sure thing man! Btw, would you by any chance happen to stop by McDonald's on Kirby/59 the other day?

Kloogy
I don't eat at McDonald's. It's fine dining or nothing for me!
Old 07-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Very sound, Mike

bbbuuut... i thought McD's was the ultimate in fine dining?

Originally posted by Tanman
I don't eat at McDonald's. It's fine dining or nothing for me!
Old 07-10-2002, 06:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Maybe Ms.Thick's passengers have been taking too many trips to McDee's ! They are WEIGHING her ride DOWN !
Old 07-10-2002, 07:23 PM

Maybe Ms.Thick's passengers have been taking too many trips to McDee's ! They are WEIGHING her ride DOWN !
we were on the way TO lunch!!! we hadn't made it there yet!!!

smartass
Old 07-10-2002, 08:58 PM
Pointy Elbows

I have pictures on homepage of my Addco, and the clearance I get . Like I said before it clears with no problem with a car load of people, and Maxspeeds. I think that my 17's make it stand higher. As far as needing ramps, and jacks, My buddy and I installed it without even lifting the car at all, and my car is lowered ! I think that Thicky, should have her suspension checked out... That does not sound normal at all !
I just ordered mine through the GD. My '00 SE has stock suspension and stock 17s. Do you think mine will scrape?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Very sound, Mike

If installed properly? Nope.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I've had my rsb for 2 weeks now and today was the first time that

Originally posted by MaxRU

Is it ok to move only one bracket? Or do both brackets have to be symmetrical(sp?) ?
Thanks
asymetric is ok.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Pointy Elbows

If installed properly? Nope.
What is the correct spacing for the mounting brackets? Or will the instructions they give me say that?
Old 07-11-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

ok...here is the pic of my addco rsb

HOLY COW...the bracket on the right is WAYYY too far over.

I had this problem for the longest time. The clunking occurs when the suspension part above the axle hits the U-bracket that goes over the top of the axle. If you get down under the car, you can see on the right side U-bracket where the arm of the suspension has been scraping against it. I loosened the bracket and slid it WAY in (a couple inches), and then I loosened the left side so the bar would be balanced. I used a soft mallet to bang it along the bar, and moved it far enough to guarantee that the arm above would clear the bracket no matter the load on the suspension. Since the arm is only on the right side, the left bracket is unaffected, but I slid it in so the set-up is symmetric.

The clunking used to be so bad that passengers would jump in surprise as I'd go over bumps, thinking my car was a busted-a** piece. After I did this, I test drove it with three fatsos in the back, and no clunking. Haven't had a clunk since. And the bar still performs well, and the car is solid as a rock.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:09 PM

thanks for the suggestion I will try it tonight to see if it will make a difference!!