5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto vs. 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:54 PM

auto vs. 6spd

The question between auto and 6speed, with most saying that the 6speed is superior is outright foolish. Most think that since you have more control and more power, it must be better.

Control and power are definitely true with a 6speed, but what about the matter of a cellphone call? Or driver fatigue? Or eating in your car? Or doing something other than pushing down pedals or moving a stick?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a die hard auto advocate, it's just that it comes down to what you want.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:00 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: auto vs. 6spd

a stick has never gotten in my way. I'm in the car to drive, not have a business meeting or dinner. Yes I have the occassional drink or eat some fries, but cell phone? NO. Some dumbass almost backed over my 3 year old and me in a parking lot because she was on the phone. I had to pick up my kid and run to get out of the way. So I put my kid down on the sidewalk and went back to the car, grabbed the phone and started yelling about how she almost killed my son. Then I pushed every button on the phone I could and threw it in her back seat.

I hope the other person yelled at her again when she called them back.

Originally posted by rumblehead
The question between auto and 6speed, with most saying that the 6speed is superior is outright foolish. Most think that since you have more control and more power, it must be better.

Control and power are definitely true with a 6speed, but what about the matter of a cellphone call? Or driver fatigue? Or eating in your car? Or doing something other than pushing down pedals or moving a stick?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a die hard auto advocate, it's just that it comes down to what you want.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most of the things you listed shouldn't be done while driving anyway
Old 07-09-2002, 02:04 PM
jjs

Answered in order:

-Pull over or get a handsfree unit...in a number of states it is illegal to be on the phone anyway.

-Get the hell off the road if you are that tired!

-Eating in ANY car is inherently dangerous for you and more importantly, drivers around you since your full attention is no longer on driving.

-What else should a driver be doing but DRIVING?

Agreed, some of the above do occassionally come up, but those activities should not be part of ANY routine...certainly not enough of a commonplace event to be used in deciding on what type of tranny to buy.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:43 PM

First of all, I think the term 'foolish' might be a little harsh. Most people here are car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts like to drive cars. People who buy performance sedans gnerally prefer to shift for themsleves. People who buy performance sedans like to go fast. In both of these cases, the 6 speed is superior.

In you defense; if your diving habits consist of reading the paper, eating your krispy kreme, while on the cell with your bookie while reading the sports odds in the newspaper, then the auto is a superior choice.

And driver fatigue? C'mon. If depressing the clutch and moving the shifter wears you out, hit the gym.

All in all, you're right. It does come down to what you want.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: auto vs. 6spd

slightly OT, but hey did you ever get my e-mail?

Originally posted by jjs
Answered in order:
Old 07-09-2002, 05:32 PM
maxima1970

If anything, driving a stick keeps me MORE awake when I'm tired because I have to use more concentration when I'm driving!

Old 07-09-2002, 06:18 PM

Re: Re: auto vs. 6spd

Originally posted by jjames

Most people here are car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts like to drive cars. People who buy performance sedans gnerally prefer to shift for themsleves. People who buy performance sedans like to go fast. In both of these cases, the 6 speed is superior.

Well put jjames. I have an automatic 2K2 and it really doesn't compare to the 6sp, performance-wise.

I even raced against a 6sp Max at the track. Me vs him:

Me:
R/T .720
60' 2.316
330 6.357
1/8 9.710sec@73.75mph
1000 12.592
1/4 15.051sec@90.98mph (My best time of the day)

Him:
R/T .869
60' 2.370
330 6.394
1/8 9.686sec@75.19mph
1000 12.500
1/4 14.885sec@93.54mph

Now of course I've run as fast as 14.902 on a different day but that's not to say he wouldn't run .149 seconds quicker on the same day I ran 14.902. (That's also not to say a better driver couldn't run low 14s with a 6 speed)

Bottomline, the auto doesn't compare to the 6speed unless you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:00 PM
wat

When you put some mods and speed in your car, I think having an auto is much better to handle the power and allows you to concentrate more on driving the car straight down the track rather than concentrating on shifting. Same goes for auto crossing...what a pain in the rear that is. I still don't see how one can be considered 'better' than the other. It is all a matter of taste. I prefer autos because I am straight up lazy. I watch DVD's in the car and mess around with CD's a lot while driving... Yeah, yeah, you are not supposed to do this and that in the car....whatever. People do what they do. They are just as hard and stupid to do with a stick or an auto. Just my opinions.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it really depends on ur need. if u use ur maxima as transportation daily...6spd might be pain esp in an area with bad traffic.

6spd is faster on turns, launch, accelerating...if u know how to control it.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:33 PM

You are absolutely right, it comes down to what you want. Not whether you can talk and drive at the same time!
(BTW jjs got it right!)

Old 07-09-2002, 08:04 PM

I'll have to say if my maxima was my daily driver i might feel different, but since my auto 4runner is.......i love driving my 6spd Maxima! I just get a kick out of winding that VQ engine and shifting that 6 spd.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with everybody else that it's all a matter of taste. Although there is one thing I don't agree with and that is the fact that some of the people on the org say that if you're a car enthusiasts then you will own a manual. That's bullcrap because I consider myself somewhat of a car enthusiasts and I own an auto. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by 1BADMAX
I agree with everybody else that it's all a matter of taste. Although there is one thing I don't agree with and that is the fact that some of the people on the org say that if you're a car enthusiasts then you will own a manual. That's bullcrap because I consider myself somewhat of a car enthusiasts and I own an auto. Just my 2 cents though.
I agree. Just because we may have an automatic, doesn't mean that we're not enthusiasts. I have a auto because my Max is primarily a daily driver. Once I unload my Accord and payoff my Quest (2yrs), I'll probably purchase a roadster (i.e.: Z3, SLK)with a manual tranny; IT will not be my daily driver.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:46 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Yup, it's all a matter of personal taste. And modded automagics can be just as fast as manuals all while giving you much better consistency, too.

As for me, I drive in heavy traffic quite frequently nowadays and the 5spd doesn't bug me one bit. If anything, I like it BETTER than my old Accord V6 AUTO in traffic because I can keep the engine in the right gear and dart in and out of holes in traffic much much easier. The VQ helps too...my AV6 had ZERO low-end torque

Of course, I'm huge (6'4", 270lb), so when I'm stuck in traffic and my foot is on the clutch a lot, the clutch spring really doesn't wear me out. If you were a smaller and much lighter guy then maybe it would be more of a problem.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:37 AM

hmmm...

Originally posted by F23A4

I agree. Just because we may have an automatic, doesn't mean that we're not enthusiasts. I have a auto because my Max is primarily a daily driver. Once I unload my Accord and payoff my Quest (2yrs), I'll probably purchase a roadster (i.e.: Z3, SLK)with a manual tranny; IT will not be my daily driver.

since when did they do a manual slk? Mercedes Benz SLK never came with a manual tranny and I think it never will. You want stick in a roadster, stick to the z3, porshe boxter, s2000, or anything else except benz...
Old 07-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

M-B has manuals in a couple of their cars now, but still mainly offer automatics.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:35 AM

Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by koostermax

since when did they do a manual slk? Mercedes Benz SLK never came with a manual tranny and I think it never will. You want stick in a roadster, stick to the z3, porshe boxter, s2000, or anything else except benz...
Uhhh, dude! I was citing examples of roadsters, not spec-ing out the equipment package on such!! (Not everyone is familiar with the term roadster.)
Old 07-11-2002, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
Most of the things you listed shouldn't be done while driving anyway

That's so true
Old 07-11-2002, 08:00 AM

Of course its a matter of choice but I enjoy driving a manual.Stop in go or not to me its just more fun.Now if I can only get a 6spd
Old 07-11-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by look2me40
When you put some mods and speed in your car, I think having an auto is much better to handle the power and allows you to concentrate more on driving the car straight down the track rather than concentrating on shifting. Same goes for auto crossing...what a pain in the rear that is.
What??? If you need more than one hand on the wheel while driving, it's time to hit the gym. I've never heard of ANYONE who actually RACES on tracks, whether it be drag, autocross or SCCA go for an Auto over a manual. The fact is that the human brain can guage what is the correct gear to be in better than the car, and the human brain can anticipate what's about to happen next since IT'S driving the car.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:12 AM

If I was buying a new car and there was a manual option I would automatically choose it. A lot of people complain about traffic as their main concern for not getting a manual. Personally, I think that reason is BS. I drive in traffic ALL the time and does my leg get tired..NO! Many people on here havent actually driven a car with a real stiff clutch. The ACT clutch is pretty stiff, but it is nothing compared to some of the clutches I have used on modded Mustangs. If you know how to make the gears work for you in traffic, you wont have to hit the brakes as often. I dont know how you can honestly call yourself a "enthusiast" without owning a manual at least once in your life.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
If I was buying a new car and there was a manual option I would automatically choose it. A lot of people complain about traffic as their main concern for not getting a manual. Personally, I think that reason is BS. I drive in traffic ALL the time and does my leg get tired..NO! Many people on here havent actually driven a car with a real stiff clutch. The ACT clutch is pretty stiff, but it is nothing compared to some of the clutches I have used on modded Mustangs. If you know how to make the gears work for you in traffic, you wont have to hit the brakes as often. I dont know how you can honestly call yourself a "enthusiast" without owning a manual at least once in your life.
traffic sux <-------no BS to that statement

not b/c my leg gets tired, it's just a personal opinion--and it's not the only reason I got an auto, a lot of people know how to make the gears work for them, they simply don't want to--I don't know how anyone can say someone isn't a car enthusiast simply b/c of the type of transmission they have, anyone saying that doesn't sound like much of a car enthusiast to me
Old 07-11-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by mattattax

traffic sux <-------no BS to that statement

not b/c my leg gets tired, it's just a personal opinion--and it's not the only reason I got an auto, a lot of people know how to make the gears work for them, they simply don't want to--I don't know how anyone can say someone isn't a car enthusiast simply b/c of the type of transmission they have, anyone saying that doesn't sound like much of a car enthusiast to me
Traffic does suck...but thats not an excuse to not drive a manual. I can see how a lot of people drive manuals and in part its probably b/c the Maxima is honestly a family sedan. BUT if you drive a Vette or Porsche with an auto, you ARENT an Enthusiast. Autos arent made to be road raced or AutoXed, therefore why would u buy one on a Sports car??
Old 07-11-2002, 11:57 AM

Traffic does suck...but thats not an excuse to not drive a manual. I can see how a lot of people drive manuals and in part its probably b/c the Maxima is honestly a family sedan. BUT if you drive a Vette or Porsche with an auto, you ARENT an Enthusiast. Autos arent made to be road raced or AutoXed, therefore why would u buy one on a Sports car??
well said, but...

if I wanna buy a Vette b/c I am enthused by Vettes and would rather have it in an auto (for any reason), it doesn't mean I'm not a car enthusiast IMHO
Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: auto vs. 6spd

Bottomline, the auto doesn't compare to the 6speed unless you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic. [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, bad choice of words should flame but I don't do that.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by mattattax

well said, but...

if I wanna buy a Vette b/c I am enthused by Vettes and would rather have it in an auto (for any reason), it doesn't mean I'm not a car enthusiast IMHO
IMO the main reason people dont drive manuals is Laziness. For example, my dad loves the new M5 but would never purchase one because its manual. His reasoning is that he's 55 years old, why would I want to fool around shifting the tranny. In the past, manual trannies were a lot popular. They seem to be making a resurgence in the last few year though. In Europe most cars are offered in manuals. Look at the lineup of Mercedes and compare the US spec vehicles to Euro Spec. The American public in general doesnt want to fool around shifting gears.

As for an Enthusiast driving an auto, I see your point. I personally dont believe that if you drive a true sports car and have an auto you are an enthusiast. Look at all the M cars BMW produces, no Auto available there (SMG is still a manual). In order for a car to be a true "drivers car" there must be a manual.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:29 PM

I agree if you have an auto there is no reason to try to make it a race car. I bought my auto because I drive about 1000 miles a week in a manual truck for work and on the weekends I just want to cruise up and down the beach (being lazy)
Old 07-11-2002, 12:52 PM

I give up, you like apples, I like oranges, and as we all know, people who like oranges are either lazy or don't know how to eat apples.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Maxima06071

Hey bub-o, There are as many Automagic drivers on this board as there are Manual tranz drivers, so how can you say we are not car "enthusiast", I get enthused about my car.
And maybe I'm not the only person who drives my car, maybe the other person *****es and moans about having to drive a stick.
Think about what you're saying before you tick people off!

Old 07-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Very sound, Mike

Maxima.org - The Home for Maxima Enthusiasts.

That should say it all.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by DrVolkl

What??? If you need more than one hand on the wheel while driving, it's time to hit the gym. I've never heard of ANYONE who actually RACES on tracks, whether it be drag, autocross or SCCA go for an Auto over a manual. The fact is that the human brain can guage what is the correct gear to be in better than the car, and the human brain can anticipate what's about to happen next since IT'S driving the car.
Dragsters are auto... Also, go check out Supra Turbos, 300ZX Turbos, etc... The autos are faster than the 6sp once the HP gets really high... For Maximas manuals are better, but this is NOT true for every car...
Old 07-11-2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Maxima.org - The Home for Maxima Enthusiasts.

That should say it all.
TRUE,TRUE!
Old 07-11-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax

Dragsters are auto... Also, go check out Supra Turbos, 300ZX Turbos, etc... The autos are faster than the 6sp once the HP gets really high... For Maximas manuals are better, but this is NOT true for every car...
Dragsters are auto's b/c they are more consistent, not faster. Professional drag racing is more about being consistent.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Hey bub-o, There are as many Automagic drivers on this board as there are Manual tranz drivers, so how can you say we are not car "enthusiast", I get enthused about my car.
And maybe I'm not the only person who drives my car, maybe the other person *****es and moans about having to drive a stick.
Think about what you're saying before you tick people off!
I never said you werent an enthusiast. All im saying that a manual is better for performance all around. Manuals are always faster if driven properly. A lot of people on here are strictly "maxima enthusiasts". If they get beat by a Camaro or Mustang, they go and say "oh well its still a Camaro". I have seen many people who are Anti-American and have little knowledge of the products they are bashing.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Maxima06071

I never said you werent an enthusiast. All im saying that a manual is better for performance all around. Manuals are always faster if driven properly. A lot of people on here are strictly "maxima enthusiasts". If they get beat by a Camaro or Mustang, they go and say "oh well its still a Camaro". I have seen many people who are Anti-American and have little knowledge of the products they are bashing.
Ok.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I just couldn't understand what you were getting at.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:57 PM
wat

A Max is a Max is a Max. It is all OPINION. Your preference is your preference. Your reasons for getting an auto are your reasons. Your reasons for getting a manual are your reasons. This is like arguing which tastes better between Arizona Iced Tea and Lipton Iced Tea. You are no less of a tea enthusiast because you drink Lipton and vice versa. X Box or Playstation 2? Let's just all agree Max's are great cars...Auto or Manual.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by RastaManMax

That's a good point. The Supra TT auto puts up roughly the same performance numbers as its 5-speed counterpart and still runs mid-upper 13s. But, turbo cars generally run better when coupled with automatic transmissions. (As a matter of fact I believe the 1996 or 1997 Supra Turbo only came in automatic.)

I would just add that as time passes and technology improves (as we know it will), auto trannys will become more lightweight AND more efficient. (Look no further than Porsches Tiptronic endeavors as well as Ferrari's 456GT to see the direction we're going in; when I was younger, I thought I would never see an automatic Porsche 911 or Ferrari. VOILA!!) Damn that demand for auto trannys.