6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

FreshAlloy New Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:39 PM

Re: Horsepower

Originally posted by greengoat
I still think 5th gens are the best gen yet.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 PM

I like it OK. Like all new generations, it will take a little while for me to completly warm up to.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, it seems they copied the Passat with the passenger area and copied the new too tall and too short trunks of the new Camrys and Accords while at the same time managing to steal the rear look of the Lexus GS400 with rear bumper treatment lifted from the existing Altima.

Its like the engineers just copied every car they could think of instead of doing something original.

At any rate, it doesn't look too bad to me. lot better to me when I see them in person.

The doors are a bit too tall for my tastes but they are not as obscene as the new Camry and Accord.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:01 PM

http://www.brianv.net/newmaxima/

the front looks....
Old 12-11-2002, 02:32 AM
Donating member? what the?!

Re: Horsepower

Originally posted by greengoat
...and I am guessing the front will be remnant of the 3rd gens, thin compared to the 4th and 5th gens...

Like the Jedi... the 3Gens RETURN!!!

I'm not seeing it people. I see the posts that say the Max looks "domestic", as in designed strictly by U.S. corp's (for those who have the various meanings for "domestic")

I really don't see it. Maybe the reason might be that I have never riden in anything higher than what I have, which is 3Gen.

One thing that got me is that it seems that Nissan doesn't like to keep similarities within the families of their models. Like BMW, you can tell that what a BMW is even if it has been completely de-badged. But if you were to take the maxima emblems off of Nissan makes, some might have a hard time telling what car it is.
My opinion is that Nissan should choose a distinctiveness and stick to it as close as possible. The front ends of the 3Gen and 4Gen almost look alike. But I guess the abscence of the distinctiveness is what makes the Max look kind of general.

But I'll always stand by Nissan... that is until they declare backruptcy and sell all of their stocks and like on an uncharted island.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: An Intelligent assessment of the new Maxima and the new Nissan

Originally posted by JimmyH
I think everyone is being a bit harsh. If the Maxima starts looking more mainstream, we will have to deal with it. Because the Maxima as a niche car, which we all fell in love with during one generation or another isn't working in the marketplace anymore. It has to move further up to accomodate the Altima. Two mid-level sedans on the same showroom floor is one too many mid-level sedans on the showroom floor.

As far as styling, the top half is definitely Altima. But if you block off the top, the very front, and the very back, look closely, and you will see the 5th gen Maxima. Except for the door handles. Those look like they were pulled from the Z, as well as the wheels. But it has to look similiar to the Altima; it is the same platform.

I think you guys are reaching (or hoping?) with the 280 hp and AWD. Nissan is too smart to put AWD in. It is a huge waste of money, weight and fuel. Of course, so are independent rear ends (on FWD anyway). Unless the car is pushing the limits on fairly rough pavement, there is really no advantage to an independent rear. And unless you live in the arctic belt, AWD is really no more than 20-30 hp being soaked up for no end gain. And without AWD, 280 hp is going to be a bit un-manageable for a transaxle. Be happy Nissan bent on the independent rear. And be satisified with a smaller trunk while you are at it. (It can make the difference between fitting a 12" and 14" box. Think about that the next time you buy a small appliance.)

And before anyone starts critising Nissan for using the Altima platform: it is a very successful (so far) platform, and by merging platforms, an auto mfg can offer a lot more vehicles and keep the costs down. (Altima/Maxima/Turano/I35, G35sedan/G35coupe/350Z, Q45/M45, see my point? Nine choices, three platforms, two engines).

If you want to see Nissan stick around, accept their new path. It is a good path. They are making very inspiring vehicles, and they currently have Toyota and Honda scrambling to catch up. (i.e. Accord's new-found horsepower, and don't be surprised to see Toyota offer a more powerful engine sooner rather than later.)

Nissan is poised to become Japan's new #1. Whether it will really happen is another story, but they are making a good start. Old Carlos is doing his job. And I think you are going to start seeing alot of new Maximas and Altimas in your travels.

Anyway, I didnt like it first glance either. But I looked at the press photo more and it is starting to look good. The only part I dont like is the spoiler. But as long is it is taped on (which it probably is) it can be easily removed. I dont think that rear end even needs a spoiler.

Just my assessment.

JimmyH
That's a great assessment.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:23 PM

i went to a dealership with my max to get it fixed and when it came time to pay he was like "did you hear about the new max coming out."
i'm like yeah, i'm all over it... hehe infact if you goto freshalloy.com you can check out some more pics of it, aside from the one grey shot you probably have seen. he's like wow, you'r right that is the only shot i've seen. I gave him the freshalloy site.

Another nissan employee a bit smarter hehe