6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 In Person

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 In Person

Hello All! Long time Maxima fan. I stumbled on your site just a few minutes ago while looking for info on the new Maxima. Unfortunately, I have a business that prevents me from spending too much time on line, but I thought I would drop a line in here after witnessing some "Hollywood" lol activity in the alley behind my office this morning.

All morning a crew from a company called Damon Productions has had the street shut down and plenty of cameras and lights. They also had a ride under wraps most of the day. Well half covered at least, with all the badges taped over with elec tape. I kind of loitered a little bit this morning trying to read through the tape but was kindly asked to move along by some of San Antonio's finest. To me it looked like a big Altima, but then I thought to myself why would they re-design so soon in the cycle? Then I thought, must be the New Maxima.

Later on - it rained them out this morning - they unwrapped it. As I originally noticed, it followed the Altima lines, with some G35 thrown in. With the strangest looking sunroof I had ever seen. Kind of looks like a big "piggy bank", (hope not to offend any purists). Well the badges were still taped up, so I asked guy wiping it down, "What kind of car is it?".
"It's a proto type, I really can't tell you."
"Is it the new Maxima" I ask
"No it's not a Maxima"
"You sure? C'mon you can tell me."
"IT'S NOT THE MAXIMA"
So I told him that I write a driving column for a local mag and that was a huge mistake as far as getting any info. He immediately whistled over another officer to ask me to leave the area.

Anyhow, walking by a little later they had removed the tape and sure enough, "MAXIMA" on one side, "3.5 SE" on the other. The one they are shooting is silver in color, probably the same one posted on your main page here. Looks like 9 or 10 spoke wheels. When I strolled by it earlier I noticed some nice details inside, oh and that sunroof. All in all it has a nice stance...pretty....but..that being said...I don't know. I don't know how they can expect the buying public to pop for this car with a very impressive Altima out there. I am hoping that as soon as I get one to test I will be stunned by it's performance, overwhelmed to the point where I can make an argument to spend the money above an Altima, without paying a little more to get into a G.

I really hope so, because I really love the Max. It was in a buttercup 1984 Maxima that I first crossed the century mark, 108 to be exact, sunroof open with RunDMC blaring out of the speakers. You know the car - the year it talked to you, and all the gauges were green digital. I most recently owned a '99, and it did not disappoint. So while the 6ht generation seems to be making the stylistic transition into the 21st century, I hope they kept the soul of this car in place.

Peace,
TK in SA
Old 12-12-2002, 03:09 PM

Are you a writer? It sure looks like it.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey is there any way to post pics here? I got really ****ed after being run out of the area again and snapped some digital pics of the car. They aren't great, but they are decent. If I can't post here via the forum, perhaps I could email them to a mod or member and they can put them up for everyone the web page.

If anyone is interested in doing this, give me a shout at vinnland@hush.com.

Peace.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by amixamsa
Hey is there any way to post pics here? I got really ****ed after being run out of the area again and snapped some digital pics of the car. They aren't great, but they are decent. If I can't post here via the forum, perhaps I could email them to a mod or member and they can put them up for everyone the web page.

Peace.
Any pics of the front of the car?
Old 12-12-2002, 06:54 PM

Peace.
if you can email me tonight (going out of country tomorrow morning) i'll post it up for you
send it to ikidnapurson@hotmail.com
Old 12-13-2002, 04:48 AM

*bump* ....just want to make sure Im notified when he gets back with those pics
Old 12-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Capitone
*bump* ....just want to make sure Im notified when he gets back with those pics
To all those who sent me an email, I have replied with a zip file containing 3 pics. One is a rear shot, a side and the front. I wish they were better but I had to take them driving by lol. But the one of the front is the furthest away so if anyone has any specific questions, please let me know and I will go check it out for ya. They are out there again today with 2 additional vehicles under wraps, and increased police presence(???). By the wheels alone it appears that one is a Maroon 6G, and the other? It has thick five spoke wheels on it and is also silver in color. BRB.

Peace
Old 12-13-2002, 09:42 AM

To all those who sent me an email, I have replied with a zip file containing 3 pics. One is a rear shot, a side and the front. I wish they were better but I had to take them driving by lol. But the one of the front is the furthest away so if anyone has any specific questions, please let me know and I will go check it out for ya. They are out there again today with 2 additional vehicles under wraps, and increased police presence(???). By the wheels alone it appears that one is a Maroon 6G, and the other? It has thick five spoke wheels on it and is also silver in color. BRB.

Peace
Oooh ooh, I am so exicited, I can't wait to see...

Pics are up here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=173769

Good find amixamsa!
MaximaFreak

Peace
Definitely take more pics!!!

Anyway, pics can be found in a link off the front page of www.maximafreak.com.

Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 AM

Could you please email the zip file to kushane@hotmail.com. And what part of SA is this happening at? I am on the Northside close to the Medical Center area.

I'd love to do some snooping around on behalf of our fellow Max owners too.

Peace
Old 12-13-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by kushane
Could you please email the zip file to kushane@hotmail.com. And what part of SA is this happening at? I am on the Northside close to the Medical Center area.

You guys rule! Go get them photos!
Old 12-13-2002, 09:48 AM

Peace
Great job!!! Can you see if you can get a closer picture of the front end? I like what I see.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Definitely take more pics!!!

Anyway, pics can be found in a link off the front page of www.maximafreak.com.

Enjoy.
you have an extra period in your link

www.maximafreak.com
Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Any one notice the coverd up car in the 5th pic (http://www.maximafreak.com/2k4/dscn0011.jpg)? Has different rims than the max in front of the picture.

Actually, the uncoverd car has different rims than the official photo from Nissan. Are we maybe seeing the SE version with larger rims?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by mahk
Any one notice the coverd up car in the 5th pic (http://www.maximafreak.com/2k4/dscn0011.jpg)? Has different rims than the max in front of the picture.

Actually, the uncoverd car has different rims than the official photo from Nissan. Are we maybe seeing the SE version with larger rims?
Naaah, I bet that's the GLE with the same size rims. Just like 2k2 where SE had 6 spoke, GLE had 7, and GXE had 5.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by kushane

I'll email you that zip shortly. The shoot is at the corner of Broadway and Travis. Looks like they are going to be down here all day, more equipment showing up, but imagine they will wrap by EOD to avoid the weekend tourists.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:10 PM

I'm still going to take a trip by broadway and travis tommorrow. Hopefully they'll still be shooting. I just want to get a glimpes of it in person. Of course I'll bring my camera and try to take some more pics.

I'll email you that zip shortly. The shoot is at the corner of Broadway and Travis. Looks like they are going to be down here all day, more equipment showing up, but imagine they will wrap by EOD to avoid the weekend tourists.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: 2004 In Person

Hello All! Long time Maxima fan. I stumbled on your site just a few minutes ago while looking for info on the new Maxima. Unfortunately, I have a business that prevents me from spending too much time on line, but I thought I would drop a line in here after witnessing some "Hollywood" lol activity in the alley behind my office this morning.

All morning a crew from a company called Damon Productions has had the street shut down and plenty of cameras and lights. They also had a ride under wraps most of the day. Well half covered at least, with all the badges taped over with elec tape. I kind of loitered a little bit this morning trying to read through the tape but was kindly asked to move along by some of San Antonio's finest. To me it looked like a big Altima, but then I thought to myself why would they re-design so soon in the cycle? Then I thought, must be the New Maxima.

Later on - it rained them out this morning - they unwrapped it. As I originally noticed, it followed the Altima lines, with some G35 thrown in. With the strangest looking sunroof I had ever seen. Kind of looks like a big "piggy bank", (hope not to offend any purists). Well the badges were still taped up, so I asked guy wiping it down, "What kind of car is it?".
"It's a proto type, I really can't tell you."
"Is it the new Maxima" I ask
"No it's not a Maxima"
"You sure? C'mon you can tell me."
"IT'S NOT THE MAXIMA"
So I told him that I write a driving column for a local mag and that was a huge mistake as far as getting any info. He immediately whistled over another officer to ask me to leave the area.

Anyhow, walking by a little later they had removed the tape and sure enough, "MAXIMA" on one side, "3.5 SE" on the other. The one they are shooting is silver in color, probably the same one posted on your main page here. Looks like 9 or 10 spoke wheels. When I strolled by it earlier I noticed some nice details inside, oh and that sunroof. All in all it has a nice stance...pretty....but..that being said...I don't know. I don't know how they can expect the buying public to pop for this car with a very impressive Altima out there. I am hoping that as soon as I get one to test I will be stunned by it's performance, overwhelmed to the point where I can make an argument to spend the money above an Altima, without paying a little more to get into a G.

I really hope so, because I really love the Max. It was in a buttercup 1984 Maxima that I first crossed the century mark, 108 to be exact, sunroof open with RunDMC blaring out of the speakers. You know the car - the year it talked to you, and all the gauges were green digital. I most recently owned a '99, and it did not disappoint. So while the 6ht generation seems to be making the stylistic transition into the 21st century, I hope they kept the soul of this car in place.

Peace,
TK in SA
you should talk to fresh alloy about those pics... theyre dying to get a pic of the front end
on their site "Unfortunately our photographer couldn't get the nose of the car which everyone is pretty damn curious to see."
Old 12-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Project Ruby......

Re: Re: 2004 In Person

Originally posted by JoesMAX

you should talk to fresh alloy about those pics... theyre dying to get a pic of the front end
on their site "Unfortunately our photographer couldn't get the nose of the car which everyone is pretty damn curious to see."
FreshAlloy

Looks like they may soon.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:57 AM

wow. I live in SA. I wonder if one of the dealers is demoing this car. The question is which one? Gunn, Ancira, World Car or Ingram.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by SamMan23
wow. I live in SA. I wonder if one of the dealers is demoing this car. The question is which one? Gunn, Ancira, World Car or Ingram.
I just got back from an oil change and they had a 2004 demo. The exterior is sweet, but the interior is .

If you haven't seen the interior yet, it looks almost identical to the Altima's (layout and material). Although, the seats were cool (two tone orange).

Sorry to say, my next car will not be the 2004 Maxima.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by 2k2max

I just got back from an oil change and they had a 2004 demo. The exterior is sweet, but the interior is .

If you haven't seen the interior yet, it looks almost identical to the Altima's (layout and material). Although, the seats were cool (two tone orange).

What?!

I think the Max is being buit in Tennessee but I never thought it would be on display at any dealership for at least a month or two. Did it have a window sticker? Was it an SE or SL?

C'mon. Give us more info.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to sound so blunt, but I find it hard to believe your dealer had an 04 Maxima when it is to be "Unveiled" at the Detroit auto show on Jan 5, and even the Nissan web-site is only showing one "teaser" picture. Sounds like you saw a mod'd Altima.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:00 PM

I'm sorry but... photo proof please?

Name of dealership at least..
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by RyRy

I'm sorry but... photo proof please?

Name of dealership at least..
Sorry for the late reply.

I though you guys may not believe me, but it is true.

I did not have a camera on hand so I could not take pictures. I was just getting my oil changed and It WAS a 2K4 Maxima. It has dual exhaust with 4 tips. It said "MAXIMA" on the rear left. I briefly talked to a sales person but did not get a lot of info.

If you don't believe me call Action Nissan here in Nashville: ph: 615-834-8244 or 615-834-3535. I saw the car on the 23rd.

I know....it does sound unbelieveable since I don't have a lot of data, especially for mabe being the first to actually see a 2K4 in person, but guys, call for yourself. Like I said, the exterior is sweet, but the interior sucks (IMO).

I'll call also and see if they still have it.......
Old 12-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Project Ruby......

Sorry for the late reply.

I though you guys may not believe me, but it is true.

I did not have a camera on hand so I could not take pictures. I was just getting my oil changed and It WAS a 2K4 Maxima. It has dual exhaust with 4 tips. It said "MAXIMA" on the rear left. I briefly talked to a sales person but did not get a lot of info.

If you don't believe me call Action Nissan here in Nashville: ph: 615-834-8244 or 615-834-3535. I saw the car on the 23rd.

I know....it does sound unbelieveable since I don't have a lot of data, especially for mabe being the first to actually see a 2K4 in person, but guys, call for yourself. Like I said, the exterior is sweet, but the interior sucks (IMO).

I'll call also and see if they still have it.......
Well since it's a Nashville dealer I could believe. Hell the dealer on the Airport Motor Mile in Knoxville (15 miles from me), may have one, since the Max is being built in TN.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed

Well since it's a Nashville dealer I could believe. Hell the dealer on the Airport Motor Mile in Knoxville (15 miles from me), may have one, since the Max is being built in TN.
I just got off the phone with the Action Nissan and here's more info:

The car was driven by a Nissan employee as a test vehicle. It is NOT on the lot now, so I cannot get any pics.

Same 3.5 engine, 275 horses and ? torque. It is "heavier" than the current Max.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:05 AM

I just got off the phone with the Action Nissan and here's more info:

The car was driven by a Nissan employee as a test vehicle. It is NOT on the lot now, so I cannot get any pics.

Same 3.5 engine, 275 horses and ? torque. It is "heavier" than the current Max.
Oops one more thing....

It was a six-speed!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:07 AM

I hope the interior looks nothing like the current Altimas. I absoultely HATE the Altima's interior. From it's design to it's cheap *** materials. Nissan better not do this. J.D. Power and Associates has already given Nissan hell for the Altima's interior. Nissan is actually ranked behind G.M. in initial quality if I am not mistaken. Don't let them get even further ahead of you with the new Maxima. It's interior better be worth the $35K they are asking for.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:03 PM

I ve always loved the maxima, but thi new 2004 gives me this sudden urge to barf when I look at it, it really ****es me off, I wanna KICK IT!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 10:55 PM
04max

I am curious why the cars were still under cover & they didn't talk. The official press release day was Dec. 12.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by R.L.Altima
I hope the interior looks nothing like the current Altimas. I absoultely HATE the Altima's interior. From it's design to it's cheap *** materials. Nissan better not do this. J.D. Power and Associates has already given Nissan hell for the Altima's interior. Nissan is actually ranked behind G.M. in initial quality if I am not mistaken. Don't let them get even further ahead of you with the new Maxima. It's interior better be worth the $35K they are asking for.
I hate to disappoint you, but the interior's layout and material is very similar (if not identical) to the Altima's. I was excited about the look until I opened the door. Yuck! Cheap plastic dash!! The interiors on the pre 2K4 are 10X better.

I also look and sat in a 350Z. I even notice hints of that cheap plastic in the 350, but it was subtle. This is one SWEET car.

A salesperson came over to ask if I wanted to drive the Z. I did not want to deal with the hassle, so I turned it down (for now). I mentioned to him about the cheap interior in the 2K4. He didn't have anything to say...It was almost like he was agreeing with me.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:14 AM

What's everyone worried about?

I have no doubt that you're going to love the Max. I think you have to look at it more than once. I think it's really going to impress you when you see it in person. That's how the 5th Gens were to me, but many of you have 5th Gens and you modded them to look incredible. Give it time, and just accept that this is where Nissan wanted to go. They want their fleet to stay on the cutting edge of design while maintaining a loyal customer base and satisfying their requests. I kinda like it. There are things I would immediately change on it, but I don't think it's a hideous as it's being made out to be.

I'll report back from Detroit in two weeks.