6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I saw pics of the new max and at first I hated the car for one reason only, the bucktooth grille!!!!
But looking at it more it grew on me so I sort of like it now, have to see it in person though...but hey! that's what they said about the earlier maxes when they came out(4th and 5th)
Old 03-15-2003, 04:54 AM

First off, I have not read any of the posts in this thread. I went last night and spent considerable time in a new one. Here are my impressions.

Beautiful , roomy, absolute luxury interior! One of the best!

Seating comfort is outstanding!!

Rear end is very sharp!! Trunk opening is very small???

Side view looks very much like an Altima , But Nissan really screwed up with those big wide fat flat lips around the wheels...that totally messes up the lines of the car and looks BAD

The grill is quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen on an automobile...That fortunately will be an easy fix and I am sure there will be plenty of options soon.

The one I saw had a sticker of 29,700....Which is about 600 more than the sticker was on my 02 Altima. This my friends..is a lot of Luxury

for the money. It seemed to be quite loaded, it surely had everything I would have wanted. The dual roofs were very nice...but, I do not think they open..which kind of makes them useless to me. I did not drive it...maybe today I will. Oh..yes Nisssan neglected to put a Dead pedal in the car....So I am still good for 04
Old 03-15-2003, 06:15 AM

I have been one of the largest critics of this car and I admit I should have reserved any and all comments until seen in person. I have to retract almost everything I've said about this car. I've looked at it, sat in it, and driven it, and guys you have to do the same. If you are still chiding the car based on pics and editorials, then you haven't given it a fair shake. It is really odd how this car looks so funky in pictures but in person it is a totally different experience. I don't know why it doesn't photograph well, but some people are like that, you know?

Seriously, I still am in the camp that the center piece on the grill is not its best feature, but it is not all that bothersome in person. It actually looks pretty cool. Trust me, no one, but NO ONE, could be more surprised by my reaction to this car than me after how I had grown to almost loathe it by what I saw. I messed up, and candidly admit it. My next car will absolutely be another Maxima; this car just keeps getting better.

And I'm way past the "...but it looks like an Altima..." issue. What Nissan is doing is giving all their cars a "corporate" identity, a familial look, if you will. This is no different and no worse than anything you see from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. Altima is a fine looking car (exterior...I am STILL disappointed in the interior), 350Z goes without saying, Murano, etc., they all look like NISSAN's my friends. The look had to start somewhere and unfortunate for Nissan, it started with Altima; it will take a couple years and new models to get past that criticism from SOME of us. Others appreciate the good looks of the Altima and have no problem with the rest of Nissan's fleet picking up on the Nissan DNA.

All I can say is spend some time with this car. It is an improvement over the 5th generation and I can say that because I've owned 3 (and currently own 2). I've also owned a 3rd gen. Nissan has hit the bulls-eye with the car. All I can say is good for Nissan and great for us!

srm
Old 03-15-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Maxmann
All I can say is spend some time with this car. It is an improvement over the 5th generation and I can say that because I've owned 3 (and currently own 2). I've also owned a 3rd gen. Nissan has hit the bulls-eye with the car. All I can say is good for Nissan and great for us!

srm
So you think it's worth the money? The thing I always liked about the Maxima is the amount of car you get for the money. Now it costs almost as much as the cars it used to outshine for thousands less.

But I guess maybe I will try to check out one when I take my car for the free clinic this month. I guess it could look a lot different in person. But I tell you what, if it looks as much like the altima in person as it does online...Plus I'm still amazed that people think the altima is so good-looking. Yeah it has neat clear rears and you can get nice wheels and a spoiler and all that, but it's still got a weird shape--especially the rear. (What is the deal with Nissan and rears anyway?)

The 3.5 (or available 3.5) in both cars, though, eclipses the other issues I have. But I'm not big into options, especially those that raise the price to 29K. I just want the power, the looks, and the sounds, which I put in myself. I guess 2 or 2.5 (the looks I would say are at least halfway decent) outta two ain't bad.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:32 PM

This car is so worth it. Maxima offers all the practical options, and a reasonable price. (Would love the Keyless entry and start package that MBZ and Infinity offers though) You can check out the Invoice price on KBB.com. The 3.5 SE package with Elite option and Mud Flaps cost $30 822 to the dealer. You have everthing in the car, only thing missing is DVD player, which i already have ready to be installed =)

Best performance for the buck, i think. And in real life the car doesnt look that bad. kinda reminds me of the gs 300 lexus series, but then that just might be me. only thing i hate is the MASSIVE AMOUNTS of buttons ... that confuses me =X do they want us to use the 265 horses or play with all the options on the center console?

anyway.. 33k msrp and have more horses than most cars costing 40k-50k Ie bmw 5 series mbz 3 series audi cars.

im so buying this..
Old 03-16-2003, 07:20 PM

Just finished seeing on in person at a dealer...I think its already growing on me

I still think it should have been made RWD with the option of AWD...maybe one day...maybe
Old 03-16-2003, 08:33 PM

srm
Bullseye Maxmann! I couldn't have said it better myself. I also am the proud owner of my third Maxima and the 6th gen WILL be my fourth.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:49 PM

Yes, this 6th gen will probably be my next, too. It will be hard to pry my 02 SE from me...will probably pass on to one of my sons. But just due to the miles I stack up, I'll be ready for a new car in a few years. Can't wait to see what the mid-gen facelift will be like for this car!!

srm
Old 03-17-2003, 03:25 AM

Yes, this 6th gen will probably be my next, too. It will be hard to pry my 02 SE from me...will probably pass on to one of my sons. But just due to the miles I stack up, I'll be ready for a new car in a few years. Can't wait to see what the mid-gen facelift will be like for this car!!

srm
I agree....I think with the facelife....they will fix the minor cosmetic flaws
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by wild *****

I agree....I think with the facelife....they will fix the minor cosmetic flaws
Do you guys think the facelift will come next march (2004)for the 2005 model?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by annimax

Do you guys think the facelift will come next march (2004)for the 2005 model?
It may take longer than that...However they may fix that grill sooner...I hope..If not..Active tuning or someone will fix it
Old 03-17-2003, 08:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overall it's nice ....

Originally posted by JMax2K

That is part of my point, I dont think they used the Altima as a starting point. The Altima looks like a new Nissan, and so does the new Maxima.. geeeez

I just bought an 04 SE, Elite package, every options, spent 35K.

It was right next to an Altima in the parking lot. Yes, from the rear, there is a resemblence but thats it. The lines, curves, wheels, everything looks different. It look much richer, finer, refined. I have to get used to the front grill. The middle with the logo is nice but rest of the grill almost look like chrome teeth.

Overal its an awesome piece of machinery. Its fast, smooth, handles better then my 01 that I traded in. Will there be refinements and improvement in the futre? Of course, but isn't that how it evolved to what it is today?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overall it's nice ....

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax

I just bought an 04 SE, Elite package, every options, spent 35K.

It was right next to an Altima in the parking lot. Yes, from the rear, there is a resemblence but thats it. The lines, curves, wheels, everything looks different. It look much richer, finer, refined. I have to get used to the front grill. The middle with the logo is nice but rest of the grill almost look like chrome teeth.

Overal its an awesome piece of machinery. Its fast, smooth, handles better then my 01 that I traded in. Will there be refinements and improvement in the futre? Of course, but isn't that how it evolved to what it is today?
First of all, seeing as your status indicates you are relatively new, I would like to extend a warm welcome. Congrats on the new max too. I'm not too keen on its looks but it is still a maxima. And as hard as it is for me to believe, lots of guys are saying the look grows on you. Even guys who were staunch haytahs of the 04 are saying it looks better in person and yaddah yaddah yaddah. But 35K? Whew! I guess maybe I will be able to get one when you trade this one in for an 07 or 08 one day!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:00 AM

Unbelievable

Well I have to admit it. I would not have believed it. It really does look better in person. I don't know how, but it does. Incredible how it does not photograph well.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:39 AM

I just saw one in person last night... and damn! that thing is big! I dont know if its just the shape, but it looks really wide in the front with a short, but bulky butt. The interior looks more spacious and refined than it does in pictures. The car looks decent, but its gonna take a wile for it to grow on me. But it still doesnt look anything like a Maxima.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:56 PM

Re: Unbelievable

can u explain how much better in ur opinion? i have seen two at my dealer and as much as i try its only starting to look better

Originally posted by ISUConE
Well I have to admit it. I would not have believed it. It really does look better in person. I don't know how, but it does. Incredible how it does not photograph well.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:14 PM

Re: Re: Unbelievable

Originally posted by max...to the ma
can u explain how much better in ur opinion? i have seen two at my dealer and as much as i try its only starting to look better

I have to agree with that..I stopped again today to lookysee
Old 03-22-2003, 02:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable

Originally posted by wild *****

I have to agree with that..I stopped again today to lookysee
What up ***** my brother. What are you doing on this board? sluming
Old 03-24-2003, 06:00 AM

Test Drive

I had to take my '94 Max in for service (fuel leak related to the recall in 1996). I asked if I could test drive an '04 back to work instead of getting a ride on the service shuttle. They were happy to let me.

Oooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Dual exhaust and 265hp. That car screams off the line! I took the off ramp and then an on ramp and the sales guy asked me how I liked that. I had to think. Think I say because I didn't even notice it. The cornering and the acceleration were effortless. That's the best word I can use to describe it.

I would buy one. I was looking at getting a 2 year old BMW, but I will have to think twice now.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:22 PM

Looks of 6Th Gen. Max

Weny by the local Nissan dealership on my way home from work today. I'ts big(bigger than the Altima boat), it's got that Nissan badge that looks like an big tooth(Kinda looks like a n old Opel), and I don't care what angle you view it from, I seriously don't think that it represents all prior generations of Maximas. Now that's just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. I would buy another 5Th Gen. Max way b4 buying a 6Th Genner, any day, independent of all of the defects known on the 5Th Gen. Max. I have been considering the G35 Coupe or even an FX35/45. I guess if i drove the car I might wind up likng it as time goes but, man I don't think that can ever happen. It just plain looks hideous, I mean it's big n' ugly.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:28 AM

Re: Looks of 6Th Gen. Max

Originally posted by rubman
Weny by the local Nissan dealership on my way home from work today. I'ts big(bigger than the Altima boat), it's got that Nissan badge that looks like an big tooth(Kinda looks like a n old Opel), and I don't care what angle you view it from, I seriously don't think that it represents all prior generations of Maximas. Now that's just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. I would buy another 5Th Gen. Max way b4 buying a 6Th Genner, any day, independent of all of the defects known on the 5Th Gen. Max. I have been considering the G35 Coupe or even an FX35/45. I guess if i drove the car I might wind up likng it as time goes but, man I don't think that can ever happen. It just plain looks hideous, I mean it's big n' ugly.
Well I think you are one of the first people to have looked at that car and maintain that it's as bad-looking as it looks in the pics online. I wonder if the guys who say it looks better in person are not just in a daze because of the new car awe. I mean a brand new Kia Rio or something can look good the first time you get in one...Well, you know what I'm sayin.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:50 AM

Re: Re: Looks of 6Th Gen. Max

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima

Well I think you are one of the first people to have looked at that car and maintain that it's as bad-looking as it looks in the pics online. I wonder if the guys who say it looks better in person are not just in a daze because of the new car awe. I mean a brand new Kia Rio or something can look good the first time you get in one...Well, you know what I'm sayin.
I know exactly what you mean. That effect is what the dealer has in mind. cars are clean, shiny, everything is beautiful. Lights are shining on the cars and it just plain gets you excited. The car show is coming to town this weekend, so we'll see if it looks any better. According to most data that I've read, Nissan was planning on cutting the car out of it's lineup permamanently and planning to just stick with the Altima. Since it's based on the same wheelsbase, except for I beleive a couple of inches, they decided to release it. They are expecting to have the car appeal primariy hard-core Maxima fanatics.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:08 PM

She's a real class act

the IV's are nice ...the looks seems to be targeting a certain market while the altima 3.5l and the 350Z are being targeted at another .. great looking interior from what i saw online ... enjoy your 04's ...as for me...im still having the time of my life in my 97 SE 5 speed ...
Old 03-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Saw a buddy of mine today that I hadn't seen in four years. He's driving a 2K Max GXE. He's looke at the G35, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, and the 6TH Gen. Max. He's picking up his 6Th. Gen. Max. on Thursday or Friday. don't know which model it is but he said fully loaded. To be fair to all of you interested I'll post an update as soon as I get to ride in it. He did say that it's $35K out the door(ouchhhh! ).
Old 03-27-2003, 10:11 AM

the new Maxima look

God damn... 37gs fully loaded on the KBB site... i guess it be a cheaper at the dealrship... but wow....
For some reason I still like the 5th Generation Maximas needless to say. The front of my 2k3 is still topping the 2k4's. [my opinion] One thing though.. the mpg has improved by 2 miles on the highway, and I heard the handling on this maxima has been tuned better. Also, the design of this maxima looks more sturdier than the 5th gen. The interior is the best... I love the g35...i guess thats why. The back looks agressive with the 4 exhaust pipes... looks like a cadillac to me . The car looks nice without the spoiler and I agree with the previous post about the bigger bumpers in the front. Anyways, I cant wait to test drive this car this week, I have high hopes for this car, since its a NISSAN. Payce
Old 03-28-2003, 09:30 PM

Anyone Test VDC?

I just curious. Still havent seen a Maxima with a VDC .. and im just wondering if i should ad that VDC (vehicle Dynamic Control) which is supposed to help with over and under steering cars with brake power distribution.

The new suspension makes the car fun to drive.. but VDC? worth the 900 bucks?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unbelievable

Originally posted by Nickjx

What up ***** my brother. What are you doing on this board? sluming
Just checkin it out...I am one of the few who like the new Max minus a few cosmetic flaws. I visit here a few X a day.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:05 AM

Re: Anyone Test VDC?

Originally posted by TheSaCK
I just curious. Still havent seen a Maxima with a VDC .. and im just wondering if i should ad that VDC (vehicle Dynamic Control) which is supposed to help with over and under steering cars with brake power distribution.

The new suspension makes the car fun to drive.. but VDC? worth the 900 bucks?
Seems like so far, most of the first '04 Max's are comming through without the VDC option....
I ended up taking the car without it rather than wait any longer.

I don't mind not having the VDC, but I really did want Traction Control TCS which is unfortunately bundled into the VDC option. This further explains the $900 option cost.

Nissan will probably make VDC/TCS standard on the SE in '05/'06
Old 03-31-2003, 02:44 PM

Re: Re: Anyone Test VDC?

Originally posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
Seems like so far, most of the first '04 Max's are comming through without the VDC option....
I ended up taking the car without it rather than wait any longer.

I don't mind not having the VDC, but I really did want Traction Control TCS which is unfortunately bundled into the VDC option. This further explains the $900 option cost.

Nissan will probably make VDC/TCS standard on the SE in '05/'06
My friend at work has an 04 with VDC. He mentioned it seems fine except once he got to around 125 (I'm not kidding 125 MPH) the VDC kind of took over and forced the car straight when he didn't quite expect it to. I'll ask him a little more about it. Another thing to consider is that it also has the full size spare (a 5th alloy wheel) which if purchased later would be a considerable sum.

I decided to go the 6-speed route w/ HLSD.

Oh, I guess in keeping with the original thread. I love the new design. (Why else would I buy one?)

-Ed
Old 03-31-2003, 03:32 PM

Forgot the spare....

Originally posted by e_marston
...Another thing to consider is that it also has the full size spare (a 5th alloy wheel) which if purchased later would be a considerable sum.
Yes... I did forget for a moment about the the inclusion of the full size spare in the VDC option... a further justification of the $900.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by SonGouko
...The fact is that now there are trying to move to an older crowd forgetting that young people made up much of there sales to the corp.... Who are the mooks that do customer surveys on whether or not the mass will like the car...? they should be shot...At least fired at..

I think they designed the Altima for the younger crowd and moved the Maxima to the older folks. It's a shame though. I was hopiing for a new aggressive design. I peronally like the way the Altima looks. The new Maxima would look good if they gave it a nice smooth front end. What the hell is up with the bugs bunny buck tooth split grille front end?? Mitsu is doing the same thing too!

Old 04-04-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by mrecl1pse

I think they designed the Altima for the younger crowd and moved the Maxima to the older folks. It's a shame though. I was hopiing for a new aggressive design. I peronally like the way the Altima looks. The new Maxima would look good if they gave it a nice smooth front end. What the hell is up with the bugs bunny buck tooth split grille front end?? Mitsu is doing the same thing too!

"If you build it, they will come..." said in a soft, ominous whisper
Old 04-04-2003, 09:33 AM

Beg to differ....

Originally posted by mrecl1pse
I think they designed the Altima for the younger crowd and moved the Maxima to the older folks. It's a shame though. I was hopiing for a new aggressive design....
You don't think the interior/exterior of the 6th gen Max is a "new aggressive design"
IMO, it most certainly is!

I also personally don't think there is anything "older folks" about it!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 AM

This lady at my church drove her white 04 last night. It is not as bad-looking as it looks in the photos, but it's not as good looking as say, a 6, or the 97-99 max. The design is revolutionary, yes--especially inside. The interior is nice. I dig the sky view. I hate that it doesn't open, though. If I were buying one I'd want to get the sunroof instead. I really wish that the wheel wells went more up into the car. It looks all tall and stuff, like the 98 jetta and the ones that look like it. I think they tried to blend the Z and the Altima into the Max's new front end. I think it should have been more Z. If there were just a few elongations and tucks here and there, this car would look awesome.

So you guys who have driven it, you say it handles pretty well? How hard were you willing to drive it on a test drive to really be able to see how well it handles?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought one last week and it is one sweet ride. Tons of power, cool interior and to be honest I really like the exterior look (though the grill does seem a bit awkward). I agree that is has a Z look in 4 door sedan. This is my first Maxima, but in test drives, I liked it better than the Passat and A4, and became quickly convinced this was the car for me.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 AM

One sweet ride!

Congrats! Enjoy it!

I'm absolutely luv'in mine!! I was hooked when I first laid eyes on it... and knew I had to own it once I test drove it.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:26 AM

The looks definitely grow on you, especially when you're viewing it from the driver's seat

had a 300M driver almost break his neck looking back at my '04 SE, so I let him see the back end about 4 seconds later - nice of me, huh? had it over 100 before i realized it, had to ease off, the power in this car is exceptional.

mgriffith, my first Maxima, too, I've always liked the look and power of it, but this one really had me on the test drive. I took it off the lot for a few hours, highway, city, parking, curvy roads, just loved it. Was looking at BMW 3s and the G35, but liked the Max's power, handling and roominess.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new to this forum too and a new owner of a 2004 Nissan Maxima. It's my first time to own a Nissan Maxima SL, and so far, I love it. I like the look, the feel, and the way it drives. The look is a lot different than the previous models, and that is one of the reasons I chose it.

Originally posted by JJS MaxInf
I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me. I have owned an 89 and 95 Maxima, and currently own a 01 I30. I'm very interested in the 04 Maxima, partly because I have a great relation with a Nissan dealer, and just not sure of some things about the G35 yet (and the dealers).

Now- my opinion on the 04. I like what I see, holding out until we see the real front end (Pleeeease no middle section), and the interior.

But what I really don't understand, is how so many current owners can be put off by it. I mean, every single magazine article on the current Maxima trash's the looks because of the funky looking rear end - and I agree completely. And I don't think the "jutting & drooping" front end looks much better. Is the 04 really worse than that???
Old 04-10-2003, 02:19 PM

Like it, love it, hate it, DRIVE it.

Love it in print, not taken with it in person, it is a bit thick through the middle around the B pillar. Forget looking like an altima, the front looks like a Murano to me! I know it will grow on me, I have not driven one yet, but I know I will love the extra HP.

I tested a MB C230 Kompressor last week, it had a lot of cool features but it was just too small. I don't like having the drivers door touching my shoulder as I drive (I'm 5'9" avg build and felt cramped in the Benz).

I was all ready to get one with the sky-view roof until I noticed how small the opening over the driver was. What about me! Screw the back seat, its always empty!

Love it in silver, will miss my black 97 SE.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:57 PM

Re: Like it, love it, hate it, DRIVE it.

You make an excellent point. The skyview roof is cool because it is different. And people you take for a ride will go, "Ooooooo, what's that," when they get in.

The back seat is almost always empty.

I don't carpool, and when the kids and wife and I are together we take the minivan. Besides, I really like the fact that I can vent my sunroof in the parking lot on hot days.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima