6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: How does it look?
Looks good
42.51%
Looks ugly
29.95%
the look will grow on me
24.81%
no comment
2.72%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:30 PM

sorry...... but the new 2004 max besides the sunroof , it looks just nasty, to much like a family car . i had one driving behind me last week, allmost ripped off my review mirror trying to turn it so would not look back . finally it turned the block .
Old 06-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think that they look GOOD! I guess that might be because I bought one! As soon as I laid eyes on them, I wanted it! I bought a silver with light grey interior! My husband is getting windows blacked out now, but I can't figure out what rims would look better, racing or some chromes. Any opinions?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima

Originally posted by SprintMax
post your comments and vote here...

any more individual ugly posts will be locked...

I was so impressed with the new Maxima, that I bought one. Red Opulence, with Cafe Latte int., auto, with Bose. SE model. Love this car!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:49 AM

Saw it, loved it, bought it.

Check my profile for pics.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got one a few weeks ago. Black on black. I tinted the windows real dark. This car is a head turner. I had a girl walk up to me and thank me for parking where I did because she was able to look at it from her office window. I owned a 1990 maxima and have been waiting for Nissan to stop making camary look alikes. My buddy just leased a E500 and is jeleous. It does have a couple of quirky things that take getting used to but this car rocks!

Originally posted by JJS MaxInf
I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me. I have owned an 89 and 95 Maxima, and currently own a 01 I30. I'm very interested in the 04 Maxima, partly because I have a great relation with a Nissan dealer, and just not sure of some things about the G35 yet (and the dealers).

Now- my opinion on the 04. I like what I see, holding out until we see the real front end (Pleeeease no middle section), and the interior.

But what I really don't understand, is how so many current owners can be put off by it. I mean, every single magazine article on the current Maxima trash's the looks because of the funky looking rear end - and I agree completely. And I don't think the "jutting & drooping" front end looks much better. Is the 04 really worse than that???
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had 4 or 5 people tell me the styling of my 2004 blows away the G35 that I am parked next to. It is not even close. Cross between a Cadillac and an Altima? The Cadillac is ugly and the Altima looks like a toy. It is almost like everyone is looking at a completely different car than me. Nissan has raised the bar in my opinion.

[i]OFor that $$, I think I'd spend an extra $5000 to get the Infiniti G35 Coupe (6-speed manual or 5 speed with performance package) and do some serious whipping with style.

All in all: the new Maxima looks like a cross between a Cadillac and an Altima. [/B]
Old 06-11-2003, 12:46 PM

The '04 is incredible. The more I looked at other cars, the more I came back here. that's why I got it. I've had so many people asking me about it already. Gotta love that.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

to me it looks too much like saturn....camry..
gs300...it has nothing that makes it look different then
the competition...it looks almost like altima...if you like
that styling better buy altima then..because you will save money.
It does not have a lot more hp then altima...only 20 more so i would buy altima instead of new maxima. Dont like the looks at ALL...it looks too much like a family car....not sports sedan. That's why i am buying a 2003 maxima because it looks like a sports sedan.
in conclusion 2004 is f'n UGLY!!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Bmw328CI
It does not have a lot more hp then altima...only 20 more so i would buy altima instead of new maxima. Dont like the looks at ALL...it looks too much like a family car....not sports sedan. That's why i am buying a 2003 maxima because it looks like a sports sedan.
Ahh, yes, the old Saturn argument. Have you seen this car in person? i guess the fact that it has four doors and a chopped-off rear end makes it look like it?
And the Camry? Not even close...

As for the "sports sedan" look of the 2003 Maxima, what makes it so different from the 2003 Altima?

I'll stick with my 04 Max.

do you not question the BMW line? Basically a bunch of slightly-different engines in a bunch of Extremely similar cars, but drop 70 grand on a 7 series sedan that is a little smoother looking than a 3 series?
Or the entire Audi line?
Or having to strain to figure out if that's a $14,000 Jetta or a $25,000 Passat ahead of you?

But you're entitled to your opinion.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When it comes to styling Bmw has got it, but if we are talking about quality well i dont think much of it. I think that the quality of all car has declined over past few years. Reason? well manufacturers want to produce a lot at cheaper price and that leads to less quality. For your info 7 series is one of the most advanced cars out there. Car has so many things that it would be apsurd to name them. Motion sensors, distance sensors, smooth ride...car has it all. All you gotta do is take it for a test drive and you'll see what i'm talking about. Audi? they have some nice cars in their lineup...but look at it this way. German cars are very expensive in USA because they are considered luxury(high luxury tax). I lived in gemany and they cost about 1/3 less over there. VW? THEY SUCK BIG TIME, dont even wanna talk about them. 5th gen maxima looks more like a sports sedan then does the new one. The new one is toooooo round...there are no straight lines. I went to the dealership tonight and looked at it. When you look at it from rear quarter panel it looks unproportional...well like you said everybody has their opinion and if they think the car is HOT..buy it...if it makes you happy that's all that matters...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:32 AM

You know I think that the new looks are nice. The "toothty" grill is actually on several trucks over here in the middle east. So it has grown on me these past 4 months of seeing it everyday.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:20 AM

BMW use to have it. Now they are one of the ugliest cars out. They need to fire the new designer.

I would have to say that Nissan has some nice new designs. For German, Audi has some of the best now. Honda is starting to look better.

When it comes to styling Bmw has got it, but if we are talking about quality well i dont think much of it. I think that the quality of all car has declined over past few years. Reason? well manufacturers want to produce a lot at cheaper price and that leads to less quality. For your info 7 series is one of the most advanced cars out there. Car has so many things that it would be apsurd to name them. Motion sensors, distance sensors, smooth ride...car has it all. All you gotta do is take it for a test drive and you'll see what i'm talking about. Audi? they have some nice cars in their lineup...but look at it this way. German cars are very expensive in USA because they are considered luxury(high luxury tax). I lived in gemany and they cost about 1/3 less over there. VW? THEY SUCK BIG TIME, dont even wanna talk about them. 5th gen maxima looks more like a sports sedan then does the new one. The new one is toooooo round...there are no straight lines. I went to the dealership tonight and looked at it. When you look at it from rear quarter panel it looks unproportional...well like you said everybody has their opinion and if they think the car is HOT..buy it...if it makes you happy that's all that matters...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 PM

gs300...it has nothing that makes it look different then the competition...it looks almost like altima...if you like
that styling better buy altima then..because you will save money
That is absolutely ridiculous. Drive a GS 300 then an Altima and if you can't see the justification for a price tag 20k more, you are smoking crack. HORSEPOWER ain't all a car should be, ESPECIALLY a family car. Nothing looks like the GS, and since it came out in 1998, the Altima obviously took some styling cues from it. The Altima has bar-none the worst interior today and possibly one of the worst ever made.
Yup, BMW and Benzs are taxi-cabs overseas. They sell a SL350 over there, a 6-cylinder SL. We only get Sl 500s, 55s and 600s for example. They sell their most expensive cars here and have many people fooled as if they don't make cheap cars.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
...Yup, BMW and Benzs are taxi-cabs overseas. They sell a SL350 over there, a 6-cylinder SL. We only get Sl 500s, 55s and 600s for example. They sell their most expensive cars here and have many people fooled as if they don't make cheap cars.
Horse ****
Old 06-21-2003, 08:18 PM

The new interior is very nice. Not sure that split rear on the SL is a good move--definitely limiting yourself to 4 passengers. Instrumentation looks great. But what about that stereo system? A cassette player?? And I haven't seen an option for an MP3 player.

That front grille, though... ugg. So bulky, unlike the smoothly integrated grille of the G35. The gun-metal finish dampens it a bit... but I'll bet that in 2005, you'll see a MUCH improved grill like you saw in '97 for the 4th gen. Hopefully they won't screw 2004/5 owners and it'll be compatible with the previous years.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM

My wife has had to "show" our 04 SL to several people that had the nerve to ask. Most have no clue what it is, and are blown away by it, especially when they see the interior. We have the elite package, so we got it all. I never got such attention in my 5th gen despite how good I think that car looked new and looks now. The 04 is getting a lot of positive attention here. Of course I think it is gorgeous, and not that it really matters what others think, but it does make you feel somewhat validated (grin). The car is a hit wherever we go.

srm
Old 07-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Overall it's nice ....

i just want to know one thing--if it's soooo ugly, how come they sell so well. i've sold two in the last three days and every dealership is having the hardest time keeping a good number in stock. oh well, just my oppinion.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:42 PM

Actually all those cars you mentioned are copying Nissan's new styling, obviously..

Nissan already said that the new Maxima would be sitting on the new Altima's platform and they would incorporate its styling into the Max before its release, andwe all have seen the pix of it before the piece of $hit Saturn and Camry came out. So why are you saying that it looks like Saturn and Camry? The only part of the Maxima that's kinda similar to the Lexus GS model is the C-pillar..other than that the car is pretty unique, it's muscular, luxurious and definitely sportier than the '03 Maxima.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:02 PM

I think it is the best yet except for the Grill but Mossy can fix that or JMS. I`m sure there will be other aftermarket companies offering grolls also.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:00 PM

first time i saw the car i was disgusted. thought nissan made a really stupid move with the change because the 2003 model was and is a beautiful car. there's one sitting in the garage right now, a gorgeous piece of black on black machinery. but as i start to see the 04 maximas crowd the streets of nashville and turn heads of people who thought the maxima was just another car, it's growing on me. im only 16 but i love cars and this is one car to die for. i admit the price is a little high, with the most loaded version topping out at what-- 35k? or is it 38k? what's it matter, its just as good if not better than a benz and on par with beamers and doesn't have the look-i-have-a-bmw-im-better-than-you tag to go along with it. nissan did a hell of a job with this car. some of the chopped pics with new rims, grilles, and back ends make this car even more visually stunning since the power plant obviously doesn't need much work.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love the new look, so I went out and bought one! Only 2 days old, and loving it!

Old 07-19-2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Gary95
The new interior is very nice. Not sure that split rear on the SL is a good move--definitely limiting yourself to 4 passengers. Instrumentation looks great. But what about that stereo system? A cassette player?? And I haven't seen an option for an MP3 player.

That front grille, though... ugg. So bulky, unlike the smoothly integrated grille of the G35. The gun-metal finish dampens it a bit... but I'll bet that in 2005, you'll see a MUCH improved grill like you saw in '97 for the 4th gen. Hopefully they won't screw 2004/5 owners and it'll be compatible with the previous years.
The split rear seat is part of the Elite Package, which is optional in both SL and SE trim levels. If you don't want a 4 seater, you don't have to get one.

The stereo system rocks... cassette player? The only reason I use it is because of my iPod... I have a tape adapter for it (and an FM transmitter but it doesn't work as good), and it all works perfectly.

I like the grill... the tooth ads character and brand recognition. Kinda like the dual kidney's of BMW.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:08 PM

I bought my maxima about 2 weeks ago. 04se 6 speed, red opulence with black leather interior. So far Im very impressed with this car. I cant stop looking at it!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 PM

Horse ****
Obviously,u know little about the global market.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:20 PM

One word says it best for me. REFRESHING! They're a lot of other nice rides out thier. But the 04 Max. is the one the thats got them looking hard.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:23 PM

I was concerned when I studied the 'spy' photos of the '04 Max last fall. I was not excited when Nissan released the first 'official' '04 Max photo Dec 5th. When the '04 Max had its official 'coming out' at the Detroit Car Show Jan 5th, I still had some reservations about this design. No one view really blew me away.

It wasn't until I walked among them on the dealer's lot in March that I realized the sum of this car is much greater than the parts. The overall impression from up close is one of power, performance, luxury and 'cutting edge' style. It was only when I saw this car 'in person' that I was certain this would be my next vehicle.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM

Just a thought...why would you bother to vote in a single topic polling question if you have no comment? Intriques me just a bit.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:05 AM

Wow this poll sure has changed. It was overwhelming ugly at first but the race is real close. The looks have grown on me somewhat as well.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, our first Maxima was a 2000, and we bought the 2004 in May. This is the only car we've ever owned where strangers come up to us (a lot!)to tell us how beautiful it it -- and we've owned a lot of nice cars! We think it's stylish, sexy and sleek. Couldn't imagine what to do to make it better.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by jackconly
Well, our first Maxima was a 2000, and we bought the 2004 in May. This is the only car we've ever owned where strangers come up to us (a lot!)to tell us how beautiful it it -- and we've owned a lot of nice cars! We think it's stylish, sexy and sleek. Couldn't imagine what to do to make it better.
I picked mine up on May 31. It is flattering to have so many people fawn over the '04. I got lots of complements on my AE but nothing like this. The new will wear off eventually but it is fun for now.
I can think of things to improve about it but maybe Nissan will refine it over the next couple of years which will give me a reason to trade up then.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks of 6th generation Maxima

The Maxima must be seen in person to be appreciated. Nissan has done a marvelous job of designing this automobile. I have owned my Bronze SE 5-speed automatic for two months and receive positive comments about this car everyday.

Count me as one happy owner that loves the looks of the new Maxima.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:14 PM

It has grown on me cause it looks like my car, lol
Old 11-06-2003, 02:15 AM

I think it will eventually grow on me.... Its more like a love hate thing... I love it sometimes and it looks good, and then the rear comes around and I Hate it. I bought a 5th gen around december 2002 when i saw what the 6th gen looked like. 5th gens are smaller, but it looks better to me.. kinda reminds me of a skyline look i guess... I wish we had the 5 speed auto tranny though.

Does anyone know if there will be an updated I35 (since the max was based on the 135)?
Old 11-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It has grown on me cause it looks like my car, lol
thats funny.. i told you that before it came out.. you denied it
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
thats funny.. i told you that before it came out.. you denied it
its already been 10 months since I owned my 2k3 max. I am in love with it even though the 2k4 max is out. Nothing against the 2k4, its just that the rear really makes me wonder sometimes. The front is really nice. I like what Nissan got going on the big silver plate in the middle of the grille. Very unique. One questions though, would you pay about 2g more for this car. People often say that as their argument against the 6th gen.

the 5th gen is already a stunner. Let see what nissan does next.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
its already been 10 months since I owned my 2k3 max. I am in love with it even though the 2k4 max is out. Nothing against the 2k4, its just that the rear really makes me wonder sometimes. The front is really nice. I like what Nissan got going on the big silver plate in the middle of the grille. Very unique. One questions though, would you pay about 2g more for this car. People often say that as their argument against the 6th gen.

the 5th gen is already a stunner. Let see what nissan does next.

I'm like the guy who said sometimes it looks okay and sometimes not. When it looks bad to me, it's for the same reasons I clicked ugly on the poll. Around what I have heard referred to as the front B-pillar or something, it's so tall. The wheel wells should be higher into the body of it. But unlike the oxidizer, I think the rear looks okay but the front is tore up. The headlamp lenses are too bug-eye looking and the Baby Huey front tooth thing has to be fixed for 2005. I had always thought that when I got out of school and got a job I would be thinking 3- or 5-series. But if at least the front end of the max is clean by 2005, I will have to do some re-thinking.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:46 AM

In my opinion the previous Maxima was an excellent car well built, fantastick engine, but with NO personality..It got lost in all the other non descript look alike cars..Now it has the look, i like, i bought!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:44 PM

nissan puts better suspension up front or switches it to rear wheel drive (with LSD and better suspension anyway), BMW might need to watch out on it's 5-series, much less it's 3 series
Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
In my opinion the previous Maxima was an excellent car well built, fantastick engine, but with NO personality..It got lost in all the other non descript look alike cars..Now it has the look, i like, i bought!
Same here. I even had the AE and the 04 is much better. It's funny how "we" are so hard on the car's design yet ALL people I have come in contact with love the car and others just stare.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:29 PM

those of you who owned 5th gens before, how is the ride of the 6th gen compared to the 5th? And what about the torque steer?

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the new look of the 6th Gen Maxima