6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Information about the AWD Option for the 6th Gen

Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 PM

Whoa, a positive thread about the 6th gen!

Hey guys, I just wanted to bring out some of the positive of the upcoming 6th gen, since most of the threads here have been negative. Maybe Sprinty won't use his samurai-lock.

First off, the second pic at the maximafreak.com site shows one important feature. While the wheelbase is kinda long, notice that the front and rear overhangs are relatively short. That's a very good thing. If you look at the G35 sedan and coupe, 350Z, and Lexus GS, they were all praised for having such a feature. Having short overhangs contributes to better weight distribution(more weight placed between the axles) and handling.

Second, the Nissan/Infiniti News page says that the Maxima has the "Soul of the Z.®" Notice the little "®?" That means it's a trademark, and Nissan will probably use this extensively in their marketing campaign. Of course the sould of the Z is the VQ engine, so expect the Maxima to have similar power to the 350Z, just like the 1st gen Maxima had the same engine and similar power to the 280Z.

Lastly, the Maxima will have awd as an option. For those who worry about distinguishing the Max from the Altima, this is probably the biggest factor.
Having awd will also allow the Maxima to compete with the existing and upcoming awd sport sedans out there. There may be only a few of note right now, like the Audi A4 and A6, VW Passat 4Motion(especially the 270hp W8), Subaru Legacy(especially the upcoming turbo B4), Jaguar X-Type, and BMW 330xi. However, more cars will be coming. There is a Pontiac concept right now, which could be something like an awd GTP. The upcoming Ford 500 which will fill the gap between the Taurus and Crown Victoria. Additionally, there are some sleepers that could make an appearance if they ever wake up. Toyota/Lexus has their Highlander/RX300. It is based on a car(Camry) platform with fwd and an awd option, just like the Murano. If Toyota so desired, it wouldn't be too hard to make a new awd sedan or offer an awd Camry. A Galant VR-4 could easily make a reappearance on our shores. Mitsubishi already has the Legnum VR-4, a 276hp, 2.5L twin-turbo Galant with awd in Europe and Japan. Honda has a smaller, sportier 2003 Accord for Europe, and it allegedly may be offered with awd. The new Sport Compact Car speculates that it could be offered as an Acura, perhaps to bridge the gap between the RSX and TL.

The competition is out there, and Nissan will need to step up somehow. Don't gripe about competition, either. It only results in we, the consumers, getting better products. If you don't like the 6th gen, maybe this competition will help Nissan to improve for the next generation.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:07 PM
Project Ruby......

Unless I missed a thread about AWD. Yahoo posted that the I35 is rumored about having AWD.

Sounds like to me the Max will stay FWD.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed
Unless I missed a thread about AWD. Yahoo posted that the I35 is rumored about having AWD.

I believe that will be the case as well.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:45 PM

Re: Whoa, a positive thread about the 6th gen!

Originally posted by Black VQ
Lastly, the Maxima will have awd as an option. For those who worry about distinguishing the Max from the Altima, this is probably the biggest factor.
I thought the distinguishing factor will be the size of the Maxima, being on a stretched version of the Altima's platform...sort of like what distinguishes the Camry from the Avalon.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:08 AM
Administrator

the only reason i won't lock it is because its too much for me to read
Old 12-21-2002, 06:11 PM
I love lamp.

One thing I want to clarify. The VQ is a Maxima engine. It's not a Z motor because the VQ original came from a maxima. So technically, the Z's soul happens to be from a Maxima, instead of the other way around. Also the 81 maxima had the 240Z motor, not the 280z. The only thing it had from the 280z was the fuel injection.

Sarin
Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice info.

Same platforms and all, why not a AWD Altima then?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Prodeje79
Nice info.

Same platforms and all, why not a AWD Altima then?
AWD could just as easily be added to the 3rd Gen Altima. But, if they are going to add it to the Maxima at some point, I doubt the Altima would get AWD. As mentioned above, this would further distinguish the Maxima from the Altima.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:14 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by maximase86
One thing I want to clarify. The VQ is a Maxima engine. It's not a Z motor because the VQ original came from a maxima. So technically, the Z's soul happens to be from a Maxima, instead of the other way around. Also the 81 maxima had the 240Z motor, not the 280z. The only thing it had from the 280z was the fuel injection.

Sarin
True, but didn't the 3.5L VQ first show up in the Pathfinder? That would make the Maxima with the soul of the Pathfinder and the Z just it's b!tch !

Old 12-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by swallac2

True, but didn't the 3.5L VQ first show up in the Pathfinder? That would make the Maxima with the soul of the Pathfinder and the Z just it's b!tch !
well he said VQ motor.. meaning the soul belongs to the 95 Maxima
Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM

I thought we established Infiniti was dropping the I-series cars from their model line and going to an all rear wheel drive line-up? This whole part about the 2004 Maxima having AWD could be true, it would be the best thing Nissan would have done in a while, but it could be true.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:30 PM

I'm 100% postive the 6th Gen is either RWD or AWD. This is diserned by viewing that the rear brake calipers are on the front of the rear rotors, not the rear.

Only FWD vehicles have the rear calipers on the rear of the rotor.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by ebmorgan

I'm 100% postive the 6th Gen is either RWD or AWD. This is diserned by viewing that the rear brake calipers are on the front of the rear rotors, not the rear.

Only FWD vehicles have the rear calipers on the rear of the rotor.
'04 Maxima is based on the Altima FWD transversly-mounted-engine-platform. The Altima platform can only support FWD or AWD. Period. No such thing as a RWD platform with a transversly mounted engine.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by warrlocked

'04 Maxima is based on the Altima FWD transversly-mounted-engine-platform. The Altima platform can only support FWD or AWD. Period. No such thing as a RWD platform with a transversly mounted engine.
What if there is an optional V8 engine? Then they would probably use the M45 or Q45 parts then right?
I could happen.....maybe.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by JeffCatt
What if there is an optional V8 engine? Then they would probably use the M45 or Q45 parts then right?
I could happen.....maybe.
There is a big difference between using the parts from one car and having a car based off of an entire platform.

Nissan has never had a transversly mounted V8. I also haven't found or heard any information that Nissan even has a transversly mountable V8 in the works to go in any vehicle. ANY engine that goes into the 6th Gen Maxima (Altima based platform) will be transversly mounted. A V8 is very unlikely. I doubt there would even be room in the engine bay of the '04 Max for any Nissan V8....especially being transversly mounted.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:41 PM

There is a big difference between using the parts from one car and having a car based off of an entire platform.

Nissan has never had a transversly mounted V8. I also haven't found or heard any information that Nissan even has a transversly mountable V8 in the works to go in any vehicle. ANY engine that goes into the 6th Gen Maxima (Altima based platform) will be transversly mounted. A V8 is very unlikely. I doubt there would even be room in the engine bay of the '04 Max for any Nissan V8....especially being transversly mounted.
Why would it have to be "transversly mounted"? Were not talking FWD.....right?
Old 12-23-2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by JeffCatt
Why would it have to be "transversly mounted"? Were not talking FWD.....right?
'04 Maxima based off Altima platform.

Altima platform = FWD = '04 Maxima

FWD/AWD = Transversly mounted engine

RWD = Longitudinally mounted engine
Old 12-23-2002, 06:12 PM

End this now

Okay..

Some of you think and believe you to be Nissan Maxima enthusiasts. If you feel you are one of these people that also believe the new Max will either be RWD and/or V8 powered and/or based off the Q45, you truly cannot consider yourselves to be true Maxima/Nissan enthusiasts.

Any True Maxima enthusiast will already know by now the new '04, 6th Gen. Max is Altima platform based which supports FWD and has the ability to support AWD.

Letsdstop the V8/RWD and based off Q45 crap right now. It is old rumor that has been put to rest for some time now, and as a Maxima enthusiast, you should already know this. Now go let your mommies tuck you in and kiss you good night.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: End this now

Originally posted by JettmiesterMax
Okay..

Some of you think and believe you to be Nissan Maxima enthusiasts. If you feel you are one of these people that also believe the new Max will either be RWD and/or V8 powered and/or based off the Q45, you truly cannot consider yourselves to be true Maxima/Nissan enthusiasts.

Any True Maxima enthusiast will already know by now the new '04, 6th Gen. Max is Altima platform based which supports FWD and has the ability to support AWD.

Letsdstop the V8/RWD and based off Q45 crap right now. It is old rumor that has been put to rest for some time now, and as a Maxima enthusiast, you should already know this. Now go let your mommies tuck you in and kiss you good night.
Fine mister high and mighty only been here since March moderator wannabee. I'm not a real maxima enthusiast because I want a maxima thats fast, agile and sporty...my bad.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:43 AM
swallac2

You could zip tie a longitudinal motor in there. You can mount anythign using zip ties!!

Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
You could zip tie a longitudinal motor in there. You can mount anythign using zip ties!!
And a little duct tape!

Just what we need: A ghetto/ooglie longitudinal mounted V-8 RWD/AWD mod! Sign me up (as soon as my extended warranty expires)!

Old 12-24-2002, 02:33 PM

'04 Maxima based off Altima platform.

Altima platform = FWD = '04 Maxima

FWD/AWD = Transversly mounted engine

RWD = Longitudinally mounted engine
How do you know that your info is fact? Where's your proof? How do you know it's transvere mounted engine? Nissan has released NO specs on it. How do you know it based on the Altima platform? Where's your proof of that. Did I miss what would be a HUGE press release from Nissan engineering?

At least the things I state are admitted speculation. How do you explain the rear calipers being mounted on the front of the rotors? That's a RWD feature....but then again, it's also an AWD feature.

So, basically, your trying to tell me that the Altima is now the Maxima!!! Now I suppose your going to tell me that the Sentra is now the Altima...psh....

The bottom line is that NO ONE has any clue what it's going to be or what it's going to cost.

But you know what...how cares about any of this. Nissan already screwed it up by making the new Maxima UGLIER than ****......I don't think it won't sell very well.

I'm not trying to start any **** or claim that everyone is wrong. I just need to see some proof if you are claiming this stuff as fact.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by ebmorgan

How do you know that your info is fact? Where's your proof? How do you know it's transvere mounted engine? Nissan has released NO specs on it. How do you know it based on the Altima platform? Where's your proof of that. Did I miss what would be a HUGE press release from Nissan engineering?

At least the things I state are admitted speculation. How do you explain the rear calipers being mounted on the front of the rotors? That's a RWD feature....but then again, it's also an AWD feature.

So, basically, your trying to tell me that the Altima is now the Maxima!!! Now I suppose your going to tell me that the Sentra is now the Altima...psh....

The bottom line is that NO ONE has any clue what it's going to be or what it's going to cost.

But you know what...how cares about any of this. Nissan already screwed it up by making the new Maxima UGLIER than ****......I don't think it won't sell very well.

I'm not trying to start any **** or claim that everyone is wrong. I just need to see some proof if you are claiming this stuff as fact.
It is a well established fact that the new max is on a lengthened version of the New Altima Platform. Nissan released this tid-bit of info way back in the press releases for the New Alti. Do some research and see...it was also mentioned in Nissan press releases about nissan's assembly plants. Ghosen (sp?) has also mentioned this little well known fact.

As some say on here " use S E A R C H" It is a friendly device.

Oh, and to everyone reading this: "Merry Christmas!"
Old 12-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey maximase86,

Your signature says you have a 3rd Gen Maxima, but clearly you have 2nd gen... 86's are not 3rd gens

Just thought you might want to know that and possibly fix it
Old 12-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Or maybe it has a 5-speed transmission from a 3rd gen? I'm confused...
Old 12-24-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Alex99SE
Yeah that's what I was thinking.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Alex99SE
he put a 3rd gen 5speed tranny in his 2nd gen

quite nifty ya ask me.