6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

*Note: Please read this entire post before blasting away at me. Thanks

First and foremost I'd like to say that I do like Maximas. I own a 1988 as well as a 95 GLE. They're great cars, and are still going strong. I also like the 5th gens. I think they look good, and are really fun to drive. However, throughout the generations the maxima has had a defined look that makes it stand out from the rest of the crowd. The Maxima has always been a step above the Altima, which is, of course, a step above the Sentra. However, by basing the '04 Maxima off of the Altima, I feel Nissan has done away with any individuality possessed by the Maxima.

One area in which the Maxima has always trumped the Altima would be the interior. Not only is it more elegant, but it has a unique blend of materials and concepts. With the new Maxima, however, it seems as though Nissan simply started with an Altima and said, hmm...how can we soup this up past our best Altima model? Ah! We'll call it a Maxima! To this I have one response: do that, but call it an Altima Max or something. When looking at the new Maxima, much of the interior styling seems to be completely lost. What happened to the dash? Oh, wait, that's right, it's the Altima dash. My bad. What happened to the great curves inside? Oh wait, that's right, it's the Altima interior. My bad. What happened to the 5 seats? Oh, wait, that's right, for some reason now the Maxima is a sports car, not an entry level luxury sedan(I thought it was really nice, at least). I guess we don't need to carry people anyway, as they will only weigh the Maxima down. There's a five seat version available? Wow, thanks. I guess that's good for those of us who know what the Maxima really is: a nice people mover.

Why all the angles inside? Why the Altima dash? Why a 4 seat version? Oh wait, the Altima sells better. Time to make EVERY OTHER VECHICLE Nissan makes into an Altima. Now, the Maxima looks like every other vehicle we see at car shows, with it's silver interior, silver dash, sport look.

It really is disappointing to see the interior Maxima styling go away, replaced by a silver mask.

Now let's dicuss the exterior. At Nissan: You say the Altima is selling well? Lets change some lights here, modify the grill there, and hey! We've got our new car!

PLEASE.

The Maxima looks distinct on the outside, completely different from other cars in the market. It looks good on the road. I'm not saying this new car won't look good, though. Please don't get me wrong; I have no problem with the Altima, in fact, I think it's a great idea and good car. However, when Nissan models its better car after the "middle class" car, the Altima essentially steps up to the leading class. However, in this case, the Maxima has simply been kicked down to the middle class. It may have tons of great features that separate it from the Altima. However, I don't feel they should base the Maxima off of the Altima, all because the Altima sells better.

Now, don't think I hate the new Maxima by any means, because I don't. I do, however, feel that Nissan has somewhat dimished the idea of the Maxima by basing it off of the Altima. It's the complexity yet simplicity of it that sets it apart from the rest of the cars. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a new Maxima, but it would definitely make me consider other options first.

As much as I love the Maxima, I can't help but feel that the new generation has thrown out the idea of the Maxima in and of itself.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

Originally posted by maximitus

First and foremost I'd like to say that I do like Maximas. I own a 1988 as well as a 95 GLE. They're great cars, and are still going strong. I also like the 5th gens. I think they look good, and are really fun to drive. However, throughout the generations the maxima has had a defined look that makes it stand out from the rest of the crowd. The Maxima has always been a step above the Altima, which is, of course, a step above the Sentra. However, by basing the '04 Maxima off of the Altima, I feel Nissan has done away with any individuality possessed by the Maxima.

One area in which the Maxima has always trumped the Altima would be the interior. Not only is it more elegant, but it has a unique blend of materials and concepts. With the new Maxima, however, it seems as though Nissan simply started with an Altima and said, hmm...how can we soup this up past our best Altima model? Ah! We'll call it a Maxima! To this I have one response: do that, but call it an Altima Max or something. When looking at the new Maxima, much of the interior styling seems to be completely lost. What happened to the dash? Oh, wait, that's right, it's the Altima dash. My bad. What happened to the great curves inside? Oh wait, that's right, it's the Altima interior. My bad. What happened to the 5 seats? Oh, wait, that's right, for some reason now the Maxima is a sports car, not an entry level luxury sedan(I thought it was really nice, at least). I guess we don't need to carry people anyway, as they will only weigh the Maxima down. There's a five seat version available? Wow, thanks. I guess that's good for those of us who know what the Maxima really is: a nice people mover.

Why all the angles inside? Why the Altima dash? Why a 4 seat version? Oh wait, the Altima sells better. Time to make EVERY OTHER VECHICLE Nissan makes into an Altima. Now, the Maxima looks like every other vehicle we see at car shows, with it's silver interior, silver dash, sport look.

It really is disappointing to see the interior Maxima styling go away, replaced by a silver mask.

Now let's dicuss the exterior. At Nissan: You say the Altima is selling well? Lets change some lights here, modify the grill there, and hey! We've got our new car!

PLEASE.

The Maxima looks distinct on the outside, completely different from other cars in the market. It looks good on the road. I'm not saying this new car won't look good, though. Please don't get me wrong; I have no problem with the Altima, in fact, I think it's a great idea and good car. However, when Nissan models its better car after the "middle class" car, the Altima essentially steps up to the leading class. However, in this case, the Maxima has simply been kicked down to the middle class. It may have tons of great features that separate it from the Altima. However, I don't feel they should base the Maxima off of the Altima, all because the Altima sells better.

Now, don't think I hate the new Maxima by any means, because I don't. I do, however, feel that Nissan has somewhat dimished the idea of the Maxima by basing it off of the Altima. It's the complexity yet simplicity of it that sets it apart from the rest of the cars. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a new Maxima, but it would definitely make me consider other options first.

As much as I love the Maxima, I can't help but feel that the new generation has thrown out the idea of the Maxima in and of itself.
I promise not to blast away ...primarily because I won't pass final judgement on the car until I see and drive it in person.

With that said, ponder this...

Maybe the Altima was based on the Maxima. What I mean is, maybe they designed the new Maxima and then shrank it and de-classed it a little (can you say "interior"?).

How can that be, you ask???? The Altima came first. Everybody knows that... But maybe, it was based more on econmomics. Maybe the Maxima was designed first. Since engineering, protyping and designing changes all take years, let's say this design first took shape in 2000. And let's say that the new design could be ready for the 2002 model year. At that point, there was a recently refreshed Max that was selling pretty well. On top of that, Nissan had invested money in it's design and tooling (plus you can't really have a model with only 1-2 years of production).

But the Altima wasn't selling as well, was a model year older, and was being pounded by the CamCords. So why not shrink the design and sell the Alty first. All the work was already done, evrything just had to be adjusted down a little. Plus this gives Nissan a chance to move production to America without risking a chance on major build issues on it's "flagship."

Who knows...it is a stretch, but it could be possible.

My first impressions are that I really like it. But like I said earlier, I won't pass any judgement until I see and drive this car.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Administrator

email them and tell them how you feel
Old 01-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE

I promise not to blast away ...primarily because I won't pass final judgement on the car until I see and drive it in person.

With that said, ponder this...

Maybe the Altima was based on the Maxima. What I mean is, maybe they designed the new Maxima and then shrank it and de-classed it a little (can you say "interior"?).

How can that be, you ask???? The Altima came first. Everybody knows that... But maybe, it was based more on econmomics. Maybe the Maxima was designed first. Since engineering, protyping and designing changes all take years, let's say this design first took shape in 2000. And let's say that the new design could be ready for the 2002 model year. At that point, there was a recently refreshed Max that was selling pretty well. On top of that, Nissan had invested money in it's design and tooling (plus you can't really have a model with only 1-2 years of production).

But the Altima wasn't selling as well, was a model year older, and was being pounded by the CamCords. So why not shrink the design and sell the Alty first. All the work was already done, evrything just had to be adjusted down a little. Plus this gives Nissan a chance to move production to America without risking a chance on major build issues on it's "flagship."

Who knows...it is a stretch, but it could be possible.

My first impressions are that I really like it. But like I said earlier, I won't pass any judgement until I see and drive this car.
That is an interesting idea...I don't know.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

That is an interesting idea...I don't know.
here's another angle. the altima is the best body style nissan has had in years..alot of Max owners were mad that they made the altima look better than the MAX..this is nissans response..but I agree The MAx should be setting standards not "coat tailing" the altima
Old 01-08-2003, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

Originally posted by eternalmaxima
here's another angle. the altima is the best body style nissan has had in years..alot of Max owners were mad that they made the altima look better than the MAX..this is nissans response..but I agree The MAx should be setting standards not "coat tailing" the altima
I don't think people who own Maximas are mad, one at least. No more Maximas for me
Old 01-08-2003, 09:57 PM

I kind of think they were...atleast on this board. The 2k2 altima does everything the Maxima does, but better, minus the altima interior. Just as fast, just as smooth, better rear suspension, really forward thinking shape, even a pretty cool interior, but they dumbed down the plastics.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:00 PM

Hold on 2k4 Max, cuz I am a comin in 2006 baby :)

In most cases style, design and esthetics are fairly subjective and depend on personal tastes. However, the 4th gen Maxima was described as "the gold standard in Japanese sports sedans", "the bench mark for others to follow" (I am quoting some Candian automative shows here). Heck I'd say the Max invented the sports sedan segment. Do those statements still hold true? Well I've only heard that from Nissan lately . But I still have to drive a 2k4 to figure that out.

Having said that, I curretnly own a 98 GLE and I've said it on the 4th gen board and I'll say it here again: In the used car market, the Max gives the most bang for the buck when it comes to features and fun. So as long as you guys keep buyin Maximas and trading them in after three years, in pristine condition, I'll keep pickin 'em up .
Old 01-10-2003, 08:34 AM

Re: Hold on 2k4 Max, cuz I am a comin in 2006 baby :)

Originally posted by maxamer
In most cases style, design and esthetics are fairly subjective and depend on personal tastes. However, the 4th gen Maxima was described as "the gold standard in Japanese sports sedans", "the bench mark for others to follow" (I am quoting some Candian automative shows here). Heck I'd say the Max invented the sports sedan segment. Do those statements still hold true? Well I've only heard that from Nissan lately . But I still have to drive a 2k4 to figure that out.

Having said that, I curretnly own a 98 GLE and I've said it on the 4th gen board and I'll say it here again: In the used car market, the Max gives the most bang for the buck when it comes to features and fun. So as long as you guys keep buyin Maximas and trading them in after three years, in pristine condition, I'll keep pickin 'em up .
after attending the LA auto show last night..I have discovered from asking nissan reps that...: #1 The Altima was designed first, and since it did so well they changed the plans for the MAX #2 the only difference between the MAx & ALT is 10 HP more on the MAX and a couple luxury features.. #3 The new skyview roof dosent open, but they also will have regular moon roofs that do open #4 I;ll still buy one they are faster and sleaker than any other car I saw there in its class besides the Infiniti ( well u know)
Old 01-10-2003, 09:42 AM
swallac2

Re: Re: Hold on 2k4 Max, cuz I am a comin in 2006 baby :)

Originally posted by eternalmaxima
after attending the LA auto show last night..I have discovered from asking nissan reps that...: #1 The Altima was designed first, and since it did so well they changed the plans for the MAX #2 the only difference between the MAx & ALT is 10 HP more on the MAX and a couple luxury features.. #3 The new skyview roof dosent open, but they also will have regular moon roofs that do open #4 I;ll still buy one they are faster and sleaker than any other car I saw there in its class besides the Infiniti ( well u know)
I don't get #1. If that were the case the Max would have been pushed back further. When Bob Lutz came to GM he didn't agree with the C6 Corvette's desgin, that ended up pushing the debut back one whole year. By the time the Altima was introduced the Maxima's styling was already locked in and it's chasis was undergoing final tuning. It takes 3-4 years to design a car these days. The design gets locked in within the first year or so. The rest of the time is spent designing the components and testing.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Hold on 2k4 Max, cuz I am a comin in 2006 baby :)

Originally posted by swallac2

I don't get #1. If that were the case the Max would have been pushed back further. When Bob Lutz came to GM he didn't agree with the C6 Corvette's desgin, that ended up pushing the debut back one whole year. By the time the Altima was introduced the Maxima's styling was already locked in and it's chasis was undergoing final tuning. It takes 3-4 years to design a car these days. The design gets locked in within the first year or so. The rest of the time is spent designing the components and testing.
The rep said Nissan was planning to keep the same type of design as the 03 ,but since altima sold so well, that they decided to go with plan B.. I think it was a coin flip to decide which car they would use the new body style on first and ALT won.... just a thought
Old 01-10-2003, 11:25 AM

the main reason why i was looking forward to the maxima is cause it was supposed to be rwd , i pretty much lost all interest in it now
Old 01-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's going to have 265HP. I guess stick with what I have.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:23 PM

If your maxima has more horsepower now, than the new maxima (265) then their's no reason to trade!
Old 01-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PLEASE.

Having just come from the Detroit auto show, I have to say that the 6th gen blows the 5th gen away in terms of the interior. It also blows the Altima away also. The plastics are a lot higher quality and also the design is distictly different than the altima...the dash has a noticable curve (not the water fall coming down but parallel to the horizon) that looks a bit like a 7-series BMW. It's a class act and would look at home in an infiniti. Outside styling could be better differentiated than the Altima but it's still a lot more clean looking than the 5th gen. As far as sharing the chasis goes, the 2nd gen and the Stanza used to share platforms. VW Passat shares a platform with the previous generation Audi A4 I believe. Yeah it's a cost saving move, but they've done it in the past. The Altima is better for it and I think the Maxima is better for it too now that it'll have an IRS again. Someone made a good point above....sit in it and drive it once it comes out. You'll warm up to it a bit.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:44 AM

for that price...

...you could be rollin' a G35.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:27 AM

Re: for that price...

Originally posted by kjpierce
...you could be rollin' a G35.
True...but the G35 has smaller demensions than my 4th gen maxima...and people who are looking at the maxima want some room....
Old 01-21-2003, 04:25 AM

Re: Re: for that price...

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

True...but the G35 has smaller demensions than my 4th gen maxima...and people who are looking at the maxima want some room....
good point... the room is gone for good now with the new body style.
looks like i will need to get a hold of a 03 max and hold on to it.

i noticed you have the new Z. how do you like it? have you driven the G35 coupe? if so, how do they compare?

peace
Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: for that price...

Originally posted by kjpierce

good point... the room is gone for good now with the new body style.
looks like i will need to get a hold of a 03 max and hold on to it.

i noticed you have the new Z. how do you like it? have you driven the G35 coupe? if so, how do they compare?

peace
I absolutely love the Z....as for the G35C...For me...it would have been a compromise. The suspension is softer..the car is bigger because of the backseat and trunk, and it weighs more. And in my opinion after seeing BOTH cars in person right next to each other, I'll take the 350Z for styling too...
Old 01-21-2003, 03:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: for that price...

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I absolutely love the Z....as for the G35C...For me...it would have been a compromise. The suspension is softer..the car is bigger because of the backseat and trunk, and it weighs more. And in my opinion after seeing BOTH cars in person right next to each other, I'll take the 350Z for styling too...

i would love to have either one, but i don't think either
one will accomidate my golf clubs. lol
Old 01-23-2003, 07:11 AM

Re: Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

i dont know ive liked the 4th generation the best..maybe i can get the the 6th gen engine and put it in my 4th gen...but thats just a thought..probably wouldnt fit...i read a while back that they are actually getting heavier and more not sporty
Old 01-23-2003, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Good job Nissan...You've ruined the Maxima

Originally posted by MistaPeerez
i dont know ive liked the 4th generation the best..maybe i can get the the 6th gen engine and put it in my 4th gen...but thats just a thought..probably wouldnt fit...i read a while back that they are actually getting heavier and more not sporty
Why stop there put a 350z engine in your max!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:49 AM
wat

PLEASE.

Beleive it or not, I completly agree with you... they've made the Maxima into a heavy altima pretty much, if they were to give the maxima ATLEAST a V8 or AWD, then I'd be happy, but really think about it... Would you choose a 2004 Altima or a 2004 Maxima?

Think some more...

Lemme guess... Altima??

Theres a reason for that, all your paying extra for a maxima is more wieght and maybe a few luxury features... I dont understand how they give the murano AWD but not the Maxima?? Its the same engine!!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:22 AM

Dang!!

What the freak happened to the max's gauge cluster... The pre-6thgen max's were a standout because of the style of the gauge cluster... Now they go with gauge pod everywhere.... very non-maxima like.... if you gonna do the gauges for the max at least keep the softer backlit lime shade and skip the amber colored ****....

freakin nissan... my 2k2 6spd se will be the last nissan i'll ever buy...