6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Maxima or TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New Maxima or TSX

About to sell my 4thgen maxima and move on to a new car gonna choose between the new tsx thats about to come out pics can be found at tsxclub or a new maxima well u saw how it looks please post what u think i should get.
Thx
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM

Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by dss42
About to sell my 4thgen maxima and move on to a new car gonna choose between the new tsx thats about to come out pics can be found at tsxclub or a new maxima well u saw how it looks please post what u think i should get.
Thx
They are both brand new cars. The new max is bigger has a LOT more power, and probably costs more. I'd wait till the second model year on either one.

If you can afford it I'd get the new Max. I think when everyone here sees it in person (I did) they'll want one.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:36 PM

Thx
I personally would get the max. For all the abuse the new max takes for looking like an altima, the tsx looks like a mazda (front) fused to a previous gen camry (back end). Plus I read that the TSX will be powered by a 200 hp, 4-banger (don't know if that's true or not). The TSX is suppose to be positioned between an RSX and the TL. If you're considering acura, I'd get a TL-S which'll be closer to the new max in price.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:49 PM

Thx
Your asking a MAXIMA club for advice on which car to get....Hmmmmm maybe people here will tell you to get a MAXIMA..just a thought
Old 01-17-2003, 05:06 PM

Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by 92drexel

I personally would get the max. For all the abuse the new max takes for looking like an altima, the tsx looks like a mazda (front) fused to a previous gen camry (back end). Plus I read that the TSX will be powered by a 200 hp, 4-banger (don't know if that's true or not). The TSX is suppose to be positioned between an RSX and the TL. If you're considering acura, I'd get a TL-S which'll be closer to the new max in price.
...and the interior looks pretty much the same as the new Accord's
Old 01-17-2003, 08:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by maxamer

Hey true that! You're right...I didn't notice the dash. Let's see, a three-way marriage between the camry, accord, and mazda. Maybe they should rename it the camcordzoom?

Seriously, the TSX sounds like it'll compete with the Accord in the low to mid $25k range.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

In case some of you didn't know, the TSX is just the Euro version of the new accord

While the TSX will likely last longer, Be easier to take care of, and it looks better, the Maxima will have more raw power. Hmmm, I'm leaning twards the TSX :P
Old 01-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by maxamer

not true. i saw it at the san jose auto show. they changed the interior. but other than that, it's just a 2.4l 4-banger euro-spec accord.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Why will it last longer? Do you mean rattles of the interior? Well, Nissan may have suffered in that regard, but in terms of engine, the Nissan motors are bound to last longer. Honda motors tend to wear more. Oil analysis' of those motors show that trend.

DW

Originally posted by rbloedow
In case some of you didn't know, the TSX is just the Euro version of the new accord

While the TSX will likely last longer, Be easier to take care of, and it looks better, the Maxima will have more raw power. Hmmm, I'm leaning twards the TSX :P
Old 01-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Thx
If your 4th Gen is a 5spd, it'll kick that TSX's butt around town. It'll have some highway power like all VTEC's, but it'll be seeing your tail lights through the 1/4 mile.

The new Maxima, even in automatic form, will probably kick the TSX's butt too.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:45 PM

I think that if you don't mind the Maxima costing more, go for it. Have you seen some of the photoshop jobs people are doing for the new max? I think they look amazing. Forget a little Euro-Accord, get a max for the power.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by BatKeith
I think that if you don't mind the Maxima costing more, go for it. Have you seen some of the photoshop jobs people are doing for the new max? I think they look amazing. Forget a little Euro-Accord, get a max for the power.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by MaximaZero

not true. i saw it at the san jose auto show. they changed the interior. but other than that, it's just a 2.4l 4-banger euro-spec accord.
You sure they won't put the 240hp V6 that the accord has as an option? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an option considering it's an Acura...
Old 01-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah, and before you think about the new max, techTV just showed a concept/preproduction version of Nissan's Quest minivan. The thing shares the same grille as the Maxima as well as general overall style. I swear, it looks like an Maxima Minivan! ... another reason to snub the new max.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Mishmosh

You sure they won't put the 240hp V6 that the accord has as an option? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an option considering it's an Acura...
from all the sources i've read online, and from the answer the acura rep at the sj auto show told me- the 2.4 4banger will the only available motor for the tsx. even in europe and japan, they only have 2.0 and 2.4l variants available.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Why will it last longer? Do you mean rattles of the interior? Well, Nissan may have suffered in that regard, but in terms of engine, the Nissan motors are bound to last longer. Honda motors tend to wear more. Oil analysis' of those motors show that trend.

DW

Will people ever learn that the engine is not the only part of a car?
Old 01-18-2003, 11:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

I guess the same time that some people will learn to read posts My point was that Nissan may have weakness in the interior, but Honda's is in the engine dept.

DW

Will people ever learn that the engine is not the only part of a car?
Old 01-19-2003, 01:10 AM
has VQ envy =)

Hi, I'm sure some of you remember me from the post "You know your a VQ owner". Anyways first off the TSX may be a euro Accord but the car is smaller than the 7th gen Accord, something about the size of a Civic. It also sits on the tried and true double wishbone front, multilink rear suspention used on prevous Accords. Also the interior is done up in the same form of the new Accord but has a different sound system, 320 watts it think, and standard wood trim.

Official Specs, a thanks goes out to www.acuranews.com for the specs presented.

Detroit, MI 01/05/2003 -- The all-new Acura TSX sports sedan made its world debut at the North American International Auto Show today, giving Acura's lineup an entry luxury performance vehicle positioned between the hot-selling RSX sports coupe and Acura's top-selling 3.2 TL luxury performance sedan.

"The TSX is designed to compete head on with other premium sport sedans from Europe and Japan," said **** Colliver, Acura executive vice president, sales. "With 200 horsepower, a 6-speed manual transmission, race-bred suspension and an abundance of features, the TSX has what it takes to be a success in this hotly contested segment."

The TSX features a 2.4-liter DOHC, i-VTEC engine that generates 200 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and 166 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. The i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system adjusts valve timing and lift for enhanced performance across a broad power band in addition to improved fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions.

The TSX is equipped with a drive-by-wire throttle control system for smooth acceleration. It comes with either a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or a performance-oriented 5-speed Sequential SportShift' automatic transmission for precise control of the powerful engine.

To deliver precise, responsive handling, the TSX utilizes an extremely rigid unit body structure, a race-bred, 4-wheel-independent double-wishbone suspension, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), 17-inch alloy wheels and P215/50R17 all-season performance tires.

The TSX features an aggressive wedge design with strong character lines and a highly aerodynamic body. In front, styling cues include Acura's signature 5-sided grille, stylish High Intensity Discharge (HID) head lights and lower air intakes that evoke the image of racing brake ducts. In the rear, the backlight slopes to meet a short trunk lid, which terminates sharply to help air separate cleanly off the back of the car at speed.

The cockpit of the TSX is sporty yet refined. It is comprehensively equipped with deeply-bolstered perforated leather seating, a power moonroof, a leather-wrapped three-spoke sport steering wheel with integrated audio and cruise controls, dual-zone automatic climate control, an Acura premium audio system, power windows and door locks and keyless entry. The Acura TSX sport sedan will go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide in April 2003.

Who cares if it can beat a Max or not, the car is nice and comes fully loaded, something not even the new 6th gen max does. I mean come on, no heated seats or HID's standard .
Old 01-19-2003, 01:57 AM

Looks like the TSX is going after the IS300. Hmm, I6 RWD vs I4 FWD. 5 speed manual vs 6 speed manual. The 6 speed in the I4 should make up for the narrower TQ range that the I4 is bound to have when compared to the Toyota I6. Interesting battle this will be.

DW
Old 01-19-2003, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe
Who cares if it can beat a Max or not, the car is nice and comes fully loaded, something not even the new 6th gen max does. I mean come on, no heated seats or HID's standard .
It's also a $25,000 4-BANGER that's going to try to compete with IS300's, 3-series, and A4's, and fail miserably
Old 01-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Well, since it's $25K, maybe it won't fail I mean, can you get an A4, 3 series or IS for $25K?

DW

Originally posted by SteVTEC
It's also a $25,000 4-BANGER that's going to try to compete with IS300's, 3-series, and A4's, and fail miserably
Old 01-20-2003, 11:54 PM
has VQ envy =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Well, since it's $25K, maybe it won't fail I mean, can you get an A4, 3 series or IS for $25K?

DW

The TSX might be a little off on speed, handling and luxary but you pay for what you get. For 25 grand you get alot with the TSX. For 30 grand you don't get that much more in an IS300. And the TSX stands out with some very good looks, more frontend than backend though.

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Fail , Remember the TSX is made on a smaller Accord platform. Which probably makes it weight in between a Civic 4 door and a ADM Accord 4 door. Look at what the RSX-S can do with less torque. Just some usful information.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

I kindof agree. But with the IS300 and BMW, for $30 grand you get a car with a 6 cylinder engine when it should really have a 4, so it's not quite 'not much'. With the A4 you get a turbo 4. But with Acura, you just get an NA 4. A powerful NA 4, but it's still just an NA 4. Honda arguably makes the best 4 cylinder engines on the planet and it shows in their product line; the RSX, newly coming TSX, S2000, former Prelude etc. They really like to push their 4 bangers

DW

The TSX might be a little off on speed, handling and luxary but you pay for what you get. For 25 grand you get alot with the TSX. For 30 grand you don't get that much more in an IS300. And the TSX stands out with some very good looks, more frontend than backend though.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 AM

I do think that Maxima and TSX are two different classes of cars, if you feel that you need a smaller more agile car, you might go with TSX, and if Maxima's size is fine and you like the V6 performance than there isn't a better than Maxima for you (at least in the same price range)
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

DW
By "failing" I meant that it's not going to steal away sales from potential A4/3-series/IS buyers. It'll be a cheaper alternative, but I don't see it de-throning the well-established luxury marques in this class
Old 01-21-2003, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Maxima or TSX

Fail , Remember the TSX is made on a smaller Accord platform. Which probably makes it weight in between a Civic 4 door and a ADM Accord 4 door. Look at what the RSX-S can do with less torque. Just some usful information.
Having TONS of peak horsepower but ZERO torque means that your car will be a dog around town and at lower speeds. You can only use all of that top-end on the highway at extra-legal speeds. My Maxima is gonna light up a TSX just like it'll light up an RSX-S from a light.

Here's how my stock Maxima will do against an RSX-S:

Pulling around town and at lower speeds, even at the 1/4 mile mark, and after that the RSX-S is showing me its tail lights. And this chart reflects a 3000lb car with only 190HP peak, vs a lighter 2750lb car with 200HP peak.

The TSX will weigh a lot more, won't ahve any more peak horsepower, and only a little more torque. The net result is that the blue curve for the RSX will shift downwards overall if you want to make it look like the TSX will.

No threat at all unless highway dragging.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually I think the TSX is going to be a nice car.
I don't think the car is going to take anyone’s sales, except the people that being looking to buy an Acura but couldn't afford the TL.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 AM

I looked at the TSX pics on Acuraworld.com, and my first impression as that it looked like an OLDER gen SATURN! What is with Maxima and TSX being Saturn clones??
Old 01-23-2003, 11:10 AM

After driving my Max for only 2 years, I don't see myself downgrading to a 4 banger. I've been spoiled by the VQ. Next thing to do is upgrade to the G35 6 speed or a 6 or an 8 from Germany.

I just don't see how anyone would downgrade to a 4 banger after driving the VQ, turbocharged or not.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by maximawanabee
After driving my Max for only 2 years, I don't see myself downgrading to a 4 banger. I've been spoiled by the VQ. Next thing to do is upgrade to the G35 6 speed or a 6 or an 8 from Germany.

I just don't see how anyone would downgrade to a 4 banger after driving the VQ, turbocharged or not.
Why anyone would downgrade is beyond me..... I hear u on that.. If I was to upgrade I think I'd be in the AUDI
Old 01-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TSX-S?

Doesn't anyone think they will come out witha TSX-S witha 6?
Old 01-29-2003, 04:24 PM

Maxima>TSX
V-6>I-4

It is EXACTLY like the Euro Accord, but with an Acura badge, like GN badge engineering. SO Acura now sells 3 Accords.

TL off the US accord
CL off the US accord coupe
TSX off the Euro Accord

In Europe a Type-R will come, I doubt we get it.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by maximawanabee

Amen!
Old 02-03-2003, 05:36 AM

Honda finally released full specs for the TSX.

Curb weight: 3150 lb

That sucker is HEAVIER than a 4th Gen Maxima, has a ton less torque, and hardly any more horsepower. It'll be like most Honda's. Slow as shia around town, but much stronger on the highway. Expect 0-60 times of mid-7s range, and 1/4 mile in the mid-15's or slower. I'm gonna CarTest is tonight, but this car isn't going to be much of a threat. With a sub-3000lb curb weight it might have had something, but it's too heavy and there's not enough motor under the hood.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:15 PM

Suppose in 3 years you want to sell. You won't have any trouble selling the TSX for $16k - $18k. You won't be able to give away the Max for $12k - $14k.

Again, there is more to a car than a motor. If you just consider acceleration then tell him to buy a sh!tty second-hand Camaro and be done with it.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:34 AM
kit

i see no reason to buy a 4-banger and even slower car after you have been driving the smoothiest (i believe) and most reliable V6 for a long time. unless u say u'd like downgrade...
i would say get the new max. or if u have a tight budget, i'd rather keep the max or get something that is in the same class.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:53 AM

You want the smooth V6 but don't want high price - buy an Alty. It should be more refined and have a better interior for '03+. And most reports say that it's just as fast. Only downside, IMHO, are those ugly **** Altezza-looking tails.

You may also want to consider the fact that the '04 Max will be the first year of the 6th generation so there will likely be a lot of bugs to be worked out in addition to the fact that they are making it in the US for the first time. You could wait and see if they have fixed the paint quality problem. I doubt it - it's been with the car since the '00 model year; why change now.

Do you also think dealer service is going to suddenly get better? If so I have a bridge I'd like to sell you....

You want long term value then buy the TSX. I had an Acura for 10 years and sold it before I bought my Max. The guy that bought my Acura cut me a check before he even drove it - it was that easy to sell at 115k miles. After 2 years and nearly a 50% drop in value I couldn't give my Max away.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Those Legends. If only Acura could have continue.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by rogers
Those Legends. If only Acura could have continue.
Nice machines for their time. They even had a sweet six-speed coupe for a while ('92 to '95 maybe?). I wish I could find one today. Some say they are just as fast as the late model CL with the six-speed.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't think the six speed Legend is faster. But I know for a fact it's more refine/Luxury.

Quick Reply: New Maxima or TSX