6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

My friends and I went to the 2003 Philadelphia auto show and checked out the Nissan area. Since I own an '03 SE, I surely know the difference between a max and an altima but all my friends could see no difference between the new '04 max and the current altima.

I myself am quite amazed of how very similar they look and don't understand what Nissan designers were thinking when they re-designed the max for 2004. I personally still like the 5th generation better....
Old 01-27-2003, 04:45 PM

Re: Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

Originally posted by Maxalltheway
My friends and I went to the 2003 Philadelphia auto show and checked out the Nissan area. Since I own an '03 SE, I surely know the difference between a max and an altima but all my friends could see no difference between the new '04 max and the current altima.

I myself am quite amazed of how very similar they look and don't understand what Nissan designers were thinking when they re-designed the max for 2004. I personally still like the 5th generation better....
Oh their is quite a difference when you look the rear, front direct on and the rear window area. What looks good in the Altima wasnt quite executed as well in the 04 to me!
Old 01-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

I like both rears of the 04 max and the 03 Altima. The front ends are another matter. I can't stand the new maxima's front. That is definitely NOT sporty. The Altima front end looks somewhat cheap. If they would only make it look like the current maxima's front, we'd have a winner.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I like both rears of the 04 max and the 03 Altima. The front ends are another matter. I can't stand the new maxima's front. That is definitely NOT sporty. The Altima front end looks somewhat cheap. If they would only make it look like the current maxima's front, we'd have a winner.
But then the 02/03 front sort of looks like the 02-03 Altimas!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:30 AM

Has anyone here ever looked at a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Pontiac Grand Am? They look similiar. One is bigger than the other. Other cars in the Pontiac line all tend to look "sporty" (except that horrid Aztek)and have a two openings in the grill. One might go as far as to say all Pontiac cars look like Pontiacs! Big surprise I know, but the brand maintains uniform styling cues to distinguish the cars as members of the Pontiac Brand. In the past Nissan has not followed this type of uniformity among products, and everyone is freaking out. Relax, nobody will mistake your more luxurious Maxima for an Altima. As a company Nissan is changing. The company wants a more solidified public image and part of the development of that image involves maintaining the "Nissan look" for its vechicles. Its not that the Nissan engineers are lazy or that the Maxima was based on the Atima or the Altima based on the Maxima. Somebody somewhere in marketing or upper level management came up with the idea that the brand was not solidified, and changes were made. Yes some new platforms were developed for use on multiple vechicles, but that cut costs and changes were in the works anyway. Just think about it. I don't understand why people are havign trouble grasping this concept. If build quality decreases, yes, become angry. But otherwise, save your energy. Also, look at the blitz of advertising by Nissan recently. Think back. How often did you see ads on TV for the 4th gen Max? There were a few. The 5th gen? About the same. The Altima? Tons, and they are still running strong. The Z is getting its fair share of ad time too.

I welcome critism, so if you agree or disagree, speak up. Thats what the forum is for
Old 01-28-2003, 07:34 AM

It is on Purpose

Nissan is designing cars with a family/corporate resemblence. It is entirely intentional. If people think a 04 max looks exactly like the new Altima, those people need eyeglasses. They do appear similar, but not exact. And this makes good business sense.

Nissans in the past, at alot of times, did not resemble or even look as they came from the same auto maker. Now they are correcting this. It is called brand identity. It is a smart business move.

Everyone knows a mercedes when they see one, same for Audi, BMW etc...even if the names were removed. Being they resemble each other is good. Nissan is on the right path here.

I have been waiting for Nissan to do this for years, the wait is now over. Nissan design is getting smart. But, despite a few minor design details, the new Maxima is rather quite beautiful.

Enough said, keep moving forward Nissan!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:59 AM

Yeah, but...

Nissan is going to have trouble selling Maximas and Nissan admits this! Just look at their sales targets. Only 70-80,000 per year (if they're lucky), not the 100,000+ they usually expect. Nissan does not have the deep well of fanatic customers that Honda or Toyota or BMW or Mercedes have to ensure brisk sales over the long term. Sure, there will be the initial early demand for the Gen6, but I think Nissan knows that when the Maxima is put through the rigors of some high profile testing by outside companies, ie... C/D, MT, R&T, AW, their long term prospects will dwindle. Word will be out: Save some cash and just buy the REAL Altima. I cannot see the Gen6 as a huge step forward. Only in the suspension will Nissan win kudos, but that is of Nissan's own making some 8 years ago when they ditched up to date technology with horse and buggy stuff!

My family has been a Nissan customer since 1989, and we have always liked Nissan's sporty edge, great reliability, and terrific quality. We have always been willing to spend more than the domestics to get these attributes. Our motto: You get what you pay for! After seeing the Gen6 I can say that this Maxima will be a misstep, and POSSIBLY the end of the Maxima line.

Strangely enough, the Gen6 reminds me of a car my parents had when I was little.. They bought a 1977 Caprice Classic new and it was very nice for an American car. But right next to it in the showroom was a car that looked very similar, just some detail changes to make it seem a step down on the cache' scale... the Impala. Those that wanted nicer trim, a little larger engine, and not much else, could spring for the Caprice Classic. But, over time Caprice sales dwindled, and the Impala is the only model to survive. The Maxima may be headed for the same fate, I'm afraid.

The front of the Gen6 has lost the aggressive look that it has ALWAYS had. The "face" of the Max is now bland. The rest of the exterior is way too close to the Altima's look. Why, if Nissan is gonna raise prices so much over the Gen5, can't they at least have given the buyer something to separate him/herself from the cheaper Altima owner? God knows Nissan is saving tons of cash by platform sharing, engine commonality, and North American production, not to mention the very noticable cost cutting going on. And if you think that people who will cross shop the competition in the $30K plus range will accept the Gen6's cheapa$$ interior trim and simplistic, edgy styling, dream on.

I think design continuity throughout a carline is fine, but the Gen6 Maxima comes off as bland, half-hearted and nothing more than a tarted-up Altima... for 34 grand (!). I do not see the Max surviving with this kind of design and marketing philosophy. If it had AWD or a class leading interior or timeless exterior styling, or performance that was way ahead of the pack (300bhp), THEN Nissan could count on sales INCREASES over the Gen5 instead of a sales dive over the previous Max.

Only time will tell.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Quest looks like maxima!

Nissan is taking family resemblence too far! The front of the upcoming all new Quest minivan will look almost identical the new maxima. Do you want to own a car that looks like the sedan version of a minivan?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:53 AM

What's the difference between a 3 series BMW and a 5 series?

What's the difference between and E Class MB and a C Class MB?
Old 01-29-2003, 10:04 AM

Re: Hard to tell difference between 04 max and altima

Originally posted by Maxalltheway
all my friends could see no difference between the new '04 max and the current altima.
I think on the back, one says ALTIMA. (That one will be the Altima)
On the Maxima, it will say MAXIMA.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They do share the same profile, but they share the same platform. The facias, by contrast, are not even close to each other.

Besides, even if they do look similiar, they are both nice looking cars that, mark my words, the public WILL go for. They are already going for the Altima. In Chicago at least, you cant drive more than a minute or two without seeing one.

As far as units sold, I dont think Nissan is reaching for the stars. They have the Altima to go head to head with Accord and Camry. The Maxima offers something more. It will continue to be a niche car.

But at a $28k entry fee, they have priced me out of it. But then middle of the middle class people like me are getting priced out of a lot of things. I have to drive 40 miles each way to work, because I couldnt afford a decent size house any closer.

Its the way of the world. And if the Altima looks better than the competition, it certainly doesnt drive better. The Altima and new Maxima are not for me. But I would bet alot they will succeed.

Jimmy
Old 01-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

it doesnt matter if nissan sells less maximas,.. they are making up for it with altima sales and suv/truck sales
Old 01-30-2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
it doesnt matter if nissan sells less maximas,.. they are making up for it with altima sales and suv/truck sales
I agree, besides a flagship vehicle is not designed to be the sales leader. This is why the Altima moved upward to compete against Accord/Camry and the Max is moved upward, upscale. The 04 maxima is practically in a league of its own. In many ways it always has been, even more so now.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by JettmiesterMax

I agree, besides a flagship vehicle is not designed to be the sales leader. This is why the Altima moved upward to compete against Accord/Camry and the Max is moved upward, upscale. The 04 maxima is practically in a league of its own. In many ways it always has been, even more so now.
Your correct the Maxima has been on its own since the Cressida died in 92, the Maxima and Cressida always did battle and the Camry/Stanza-Altima/Accord and 626 always did. The Maxima's closest competiton is the TL/TLS as it is sort of a Niche car as well!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Your correct the Maxima has been on its own since the Cressida died in 92, the Maxima and Cressida always did battle and the Camry/Stanza-Altima/Accord and 626 always did. The Maxima's closest competiton is the TL/TLS as it is sort of a Niche car as well!
its even more croweded now with the g35 still lurking around. but yeah the avalon never really replaced the cressida IMO cause it was so heavily based on the camry.

cressida was rear drive.