6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sunroof wind noise worse than average???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:43 AM

Sunroof wind noise worse than average???

Just picked up our 04 last night. I have the regular power sunroof and no roof mounted deflector. The wind noise with the sun shade open is more pronounced than any other car I've been in with a sunroof. I've checked the seals all around and can't find any indication that there is a leak or improper seating of the sunroof assembly. I do know that this roof is much more curved in the front and I'm thinking that is the problem. The noise is actually LESS when you tilt the roof open! And if you really want quiet I just pull the sunshade and the noise is abated.

I'm asking if you all have the same experience, or maybe there IS something wrong with mine. I'll have to add on the ugly deflector if this is just the way it is.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:43 PM

Re: Sunroof wind noise worse than average???

Originally posted by Maxmann
Just picked up our 04 last night. I have the regular power sunroof and no roof mounted deflector. The wind noise with the sun shade open is more pronounced than any other car I've been in with a sunroof. I've checked the seals all around and can't find any indication that there is a leak or improper seating of the sunroof assembly. I do know that this roof is much more curved in the front and I'm thinking that is the problem. The noise is actually LESS when you tilt the roof open! And if you really want quiet I just pull the sunshade and the noise is abated.

I'm asking if you all have the same experience, or maybe there IS something wrong with mine. I'll have to add on the ugly deflector if this is just the way it is.

Thanks!
Witht he sun shade open, Im fine. i would check it out.

Funny thing is, under the rear dash, in the rea of the driver side subwoofer, there is an annoying creeking noise when i hit bumps.

The dealer has to take it apart ans see wahts loose.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: Sunroof wind noise worse than average???

Originally posted by 2004BlackMax

Witht he sun shade open, Im fine. i would check it out.

Funny thing is, under the rear dash, in the rea of the driver side subwoofer, there is an annoying creeking noise when i hit bumps.

The dealer has to take it apart ans see wahts loose.
Update: I was at my dealer this afternoon completing the paperwork and while they were washing the new Max, I asked him to let me drive another with a normal sunroof so that I could hear the difference. Verdict: my sunroof has a problem. I evidently am missing a seal or the roof isn't seating and/or sealing properly. So, I definitely have the only Max like mine in the region (for now) including a defective sunroof! I'm just hoping it is a simple fix. I can't imagine how hard it must be to diagnose the cause of that kind of problem, but then again, maybe it is just a matter of some adjustments and/or seals.

Will keep the forum updated; I hope mine is the only one!

srm
Old 03-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Rattles and wind noise...The more Nissan changes, the more it stays the same. I was hoping for an improvement in this area with the 6th Gen max. Your problem with your sunroof is typical of similar issues with many 2k3/2k3 sunroofs. I had my dealer realign my 2k3 and it is somewhat better but not noiseless when closed. Appears the fit on the 2k3/2k3 is not of close tolerance. Some are ok, some are worse than others. Have your dealer realign it.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:47 AM

really? either i'm not fussy (not happening soon) or i havent had a single problem with mine yet except for intruding on headroom a bit

Originally posted by nick778
Rattles and wind noise...The more Nissan changes, the more it stays the same. I was hoping for an improvement in this area with the 6th Gen max. Your problem with your sunroof is typical of similar issues with many 2k3/2k3 sunroofs. I had my dealer realign my 2k3 and it is somewhat better but not noiseless when closed. Appears the fit on the 2k3/2k3 is not of close tolerance. Some are ok, some are worse than others. Have your dealer realign it.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:16 PM

A wind deflector will also aid you in reducing noise even further.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:40 PM

Problem solved!

Guys...happy to report that my dealer (Action Nissan, Nashville) made a few minor adjustments to the roof and voila, perfect! Car is quite as a church mouse.

I won't need a deflector, after all. The integrated wind deflector works just fine, and I never have liked the way a roof mounted deflector blocks the view out of the roof. I hope I'm the only one with this problem, but if you do, it should be an easy fix.

Loving the car...

srm