6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

will this car ever grow on me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:23 PM

will this car ever grow on me?

The 5th gen took a few months of getting used too before I started digging it, but I just can't into the 6th Gen Styling. I really wish they had gone in a different direction with their styling, they should have tried to go back to a more classy look like the 3rd gen, I don't know maybe I'm just old school...

Perhaps if they do the same thing like they did with the 4th, and 5th gens and change the grill an tails in a couple of years that could help.

and whats with every car looking like the maxima? the Galant, the Saturn Ion. The galant even has a tooth grill..
Old 05-10-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: will this car ever grow on me?

Originally posted by Kevin
The 5th gen took a few months of getting used too before I started digging it, but I just can't into the 6th Gen Styling. I really wish they had gone in a different direction with their styling, they should have tried to go back to a more classy look like the 3rd gen, I don't know maybe I'm just old school...

Perhaps if they do the same thing like they did with the 4th, and 5th gens and change the grill an tails in a couple of years that could help.

and whats with every car looking like the maxima? the Galant, the Saturn Ion. The galant even has a tooth grill..
it makes previous maximas look bad.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 PM

i like, then i dont, i like it, then i dont, etc maybe in a few months i will like it everytime.

right now, it sweet! i just wish they were a little more dynamic in their design. more class, less ***, better headlight design, smaller body look (this thing is huge on the road), plus the interior is not warm enough. im wiating for next GEN for now- just not for me
Old 05-12-2003, 06:33 AM

My Prediction.....

....Very soon, even the most ardent skeptics will come to worship this car!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:43 PM

There is a woman at work that owns a bright bronze 2004 SL and I'm not all that excited about the car's looks. Today I saw a white 2004 on the road and I thought it looked sharp. It seems that this 2004 design looks better at certain angles and colors. I feel the 4th gen and 5th gen cars look better overall and from more angles.

Maybe I need more time for this design to grow on me but I loved the 4th gen and 5th gen cars at first sight, not so with the 6th gen.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
dmontzsta

Re: will this car ever grow on me?

It actually just grew on me...look at that Black Maxima flying down the road on that commercial about 10 times, then think of how great Maximas are...then think it is new...than you will love it.

Thanks for the 3rd gen comment

Old 05-14-2003, 01:08 AM

this design reminds me of the feelings i have for the Audi A6... at certain angles it's sweet, then at others its awkward.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:24 AM

forgot to add, that with the SL wheels the car looks a LOT worse!!!

The SE wheels are a huge improvement in the looks...
Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 AM

forgot to add, that with the SL wheels the car looks a LOT worse!!!

The SE wheels are a huge improvement in the looks...
2004 SE looks so good from the back. Those wide tires actully look wide compared to 5gen ones. I know they 245 now, but they just look so good and agressive from the back. It doesn't look like a 4x4 with stock springs either. I can't stand the look of 5gen on stock springs.

I really like 2004 Max SE. I think it is a great car. Looks very solid compared to other gens.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:54 PM

Just my 2 cents..

I took one out for a half hour test drive and thought it handled nicer than my wife's 02, but not as firm as my 00, which is the only nicer thing about my 00. I desperately tried to like it, not because the salesperson has been great to me for the other two cars, but because I have loved the Maxima forever,but...
The Headlights look awful...
The foglights are way out of place...
The grille is Godawful hideous...
and worst of all, the part I would actually care about every day
after the initial purchase...the interior was the worst, from the
J.J. Walker/Playboy Felt around the inside to the the overkill of
angular aluminum to the rear window I could hardly see out of...

I just can't like it...never mind love it.

Now for the good things...
The side and rear views are awesome...I absolutely love the rear
from the exhaust to the tail lights to the little spoiler
The magazines are claiming it's slow, but I took my wife's 02 Auto
(14.5 in the 1/4 mile) and ran along side the sales person in the
04 while we both were on our Nextels and while we were both in 3rd
My wifes car pulled the 04 by one car length when it automatically
downshifted into 2nd, but then when the upshift to 3rd happened
the 04 lost no more ground up to 105 or so...so as for being slow,
I would not call it that at all.

Good luck to anyone who gets an 04...I am 99% getting an 03/04 G35 Sedan with everything including the NAV...I test drove the 350 Z, the 04 Max, the 03 Altima, the G35 Sedan, and the G35 Coupe, and neither the Z or the coupe reminded me of my 87 Mustang enough to warrant getting one and the Altima is no Maxima or G35. Hopefully the G35 will be as good to me as the Max has been...I still LOVE my wife's 02 and always will though.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by bosssho
Just my 2 cents..

"The foglights are way out of place..."
The fog light aren't out of place.... the round lights on the bottom are cornering lights!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:23 PM

I meant cornering lights...sorry...they still look out of place...at least in my opinion. Good luck with your SL!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have to agree with Kevin on this one. I loved the 3rd and 4th gens, the 5th took a bit to grow on me but I'd consider buying one now, but this one is pretty radical, too radical for my taste. Only time will tell.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 PM

Yeah this gen is taking the longest to grow on me too. The 5th gen took a while but it got there. This one is just so hard to love.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:03 AM

Re: My Prediction.....

Originally posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
....Very soon, even the most ardent skeptics will come to worship this car!
you are describing me!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:19 AM

I saw a black SE with dark tinted windows and the 18" wheels yesterday for the first time. Changed my opinion of the car's looks. Great looking in that set-up.

Of course I happen to have a black 5th gen with dark tinted windows . . .
Old 06-09-2003, 10:32 PM

I think that there is too large of a design gap between the 5th gen and 6th gen body styles. From 1st to 5th gens, you can see an evolution of the Maxima body style. Then all of a sudden, bam, the 6th gen Max looks like a Z on steroids.

Once we Max enthusiasts get used to the new design, we will appreciate the design evolution of the new Max from here on out.

At least for now, I don't like the "smile" the black molding makes between cornering lights. Moreso, the rear looks plump and bulbous. Anyways, the 6th gen design will eventually grow on me because after all, it is a Max.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:55 AM
Moderator GT-R

... Moreso, the rear looks plump and bulbous. Anyways, the 6th gen design will eventually grow on me because after all, it is a Max. [/B][/QUOTE]

I like big butts and I cannont lie!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:52 AM

The new Maxima combines the best of many. It has the thick Lexus GS bad-boy stance from 3/4 view. It has the trendy vertically biased aspect ratio headlamp housing theme that the Cadillac CTS has. It has stronger family ties (really looks like Altima's bigger brother) than what most GM, Ford, and even Honda can pull off; only Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, BMW, and a couple others show tighter similarities between models for mass-production makes. Finally that controversial grille breaks away from timid competitors' efforts at a balance of class and intimidation; think of it as the analogy of a new highrise business building in Chicago with the entrance layered with a brushed metal fascia integrated with granite and marble backdrop.

It's hard to make an everyday sedan stand out, but incredibly this new Maxima stands out in traffic like no previous Maxima ever did.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
[BI like big butts and I cannont lie! [/B]
Old 06-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by motectransam
...Finally that controversial grille breaks away from timid competitors' efforts at a balance of class and intimidation; think of it as the analogy of a new highrise business building in Chicago with the entrance layered with a brushed metal fascia integrated with granite and marble backdrop.

It's hard to make an everyday sedan stand out, but incredibly this new Maxima stands out in traffic like no previous Maxima ever did.
The grille is my least favorite aspect of my new Maxima. Women seem to love it for whatever reason.

I've observed something else about the reaction of others. In traffic or at lights, men seem to be taking a look more than women. When it is parked, women will look it over and men walk by like they don't even see it. Shrug.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

The grille is my least favorite aspect of my new Maxima. Women seem to love it for whatever reason.

I've observed something else about the reaction of others. In traffic or at lights, men seem to be taking a look more than women. When it is parked, women will look it over and men walk by like they don't even see it. Shrug.
Um, this is a good thing... for most of us anyway
Old 06-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by gmc74

Um, this is a good thing... for most of us anyway
Oh I'm OK with it. Just interesting to me.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really like the new grill because it's that "in your face" design style, much like the Cadillac Escalade.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Carbon179
I really like the new grill because it's that "in your face" design style, much like the Cadillac Escalade.
I agree. The slit or slat grille has been played out.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Project Ruby......

There's a very sharp Black SE driving around here, that I have seen a few times. I have only seen it from the side and the back though. But damn I think it looks sexy.

I have seen a burgundy one from the front with it's blinding HIDs on, so I couldn't really get a good look at it. But damn the HIDs are a hell of a lot more powerful than the '02s.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 AM

There is only 2 things I like about the 2004 Maxima the HIDs and the rear! I'm hoping the mid-gen facelift will improve the overall look of the car. Right now the Maxima looks like a Lexus GS and a baby 7 series.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:27 AM

Its one of those cars that look nice from one angle, then look like crap from another, not my favorite max yet but better than some camry or soemthing
Old 06-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My first impressions were, "this thing is butt ugly". But it has grown on me. I bought one (the "copper" one). The more I drive it the more I love it. It sure gets people looking. I, for one, love the front grill (my son hates it). I also like the front head lights. I love the space inside. The thing I don't like is the miles and miles of back bumper.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:38 PM

It has the thick Lexus GS bad-boy stance from 3/4 view.
Right now the Maxima looks like a Lexus GS and a baby 7 series
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Nissan was shooting for a 4-door 350-Z look with the 6th gen. The Altima and new Max resemble the GS with the sweeping roofline and short deck down to the 3 pod gauges in the inside. It's amazing that both cars have bigger dimensions than the GS. The new Altima and Maxima are huge cars.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Handsome

The outside of the 2K2-3 max was an aggresive looking clean sedan with great lines, the new max is an unaggresive bumble.

The previous 2K's had great body molding and ground effects

That's going to be replaced by this bucked tooth car with no aggresive lines, and an awkward tapering rear window????

I think the only thing that comes close to the horrible exterior is the ugly interior

Ugly and awkward gauges protruding out, how many times are they going to recycle the 350z gauges??

Not to mention that the gauges are now orange, did someone over at pontiac have a job transfer?

The middle console looks more like somthing you would find in a civic as far as shape, unlike previous generations it is no longer a smooth waterfall as you would find in an NSX or 300zTT, instead it is two pieces going from the gear shift to where the radio is mounted. The only thing that is of any interest is the navigation.

Now this is more like it, no awkward gauge cluster, and a multi color gauge face with clean white lights.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!! Smooth waterfall center console that neatly sweeps from the radio to the gear shifter.

The "claimed" performance increase is not their either. A 96 GXE (190hp) is only a hair slower (probably because of the variable intake of the new car), and a gorgious 2k2-3 would kill it anywhere (www.car-stats.com)

The 04 Max is really not that bad of a car, but it is definatly no Max. Look at the 3rd gen to 4th gen to 5th gen and you can still see a sedan progression. The interior from the 4th to the 5th is a great progression that still harnesses the original theme. They needed to keep the sedan appeal, at least go for somthing clean like a new audi A4, this thing I cannot get used to. I only hope that when I am ready to buy another car I can find a good 2k2-3 six speed with little miles on it.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Street Reeper

The "claimed" performance increase is not their either. A 96 GXE (190hp) is only a hair slower (probably because of the variable intake of the new car), and a gorgious 2k2-3 would kill it anywhere (www.car-stats.com)
Spoken like a person that has never sat behind the wheel... opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has them and they all stink...

based on the site you provided, if by kill you mean using different magazine stats and it won by .1 seconds in the quarter mile... WOW!

put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer before you hurt yourself
Old 07-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Handsome

Spoken like a person that has never sat behind the wheel... opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has them and they all stink...

based on the site you provided, if by kill you mean using different magazine stats and it won by .1 seconds in the quarter mile... WOW!

put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer before you hurt yourself
Does your first line reffer to a butt dyno, because a Ford lightning doesn't "feel" very fast but it is.

You can also look at the 60, it takes a while to get a boat in motion.

Here we go, when you don't have an argument for your debate you turn to personal attacks towards the person with the opposing opinion.

But hey I understand your anger, you paid a lot more for a max than anyone ever has (considering the generation mark up) and it has recycled parts to cut costs, is uglier, and slower. Who is smoking the crack?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Moderator GT-R

The outside of the 2K2-3 max was an aggresive looking clean sedan with great lines, the new max is an unaggresive bumble.

The previous 2K's had great body molding and ground effects

That's going to be replaced by this bucked tooth car with no aggresive lines, and an awkward tapering rear window????

I think the only thing that comes close to the horrible exterior is the ugly interior

Ugly and awkward gauges protruding out, how many times are they going to recycle the 350z gauges??

Not to mention that the gauges are now orange, did someone over at pontiac have a job transfer?

The middle console looks more like somthing you would find in a civic as far as shape, unlike previous generations it is no longer a smooth waterfall as you would find in an NSX or 300zTT, instead it is two pieces going from the gear shift to where the radio is mounted. The only thing that is of any interest is the navigation.

Now this is more like it, no awkward gauge cluster, and a multi color gauge face with clean white lights.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!! Smooth waterfall center console that neatly sweeps from the radio to the gear shifter.

The 04 Max is really not that bad of a car, but it is definatly no Max. Look at the 3rd gen to 4th gen to 5th gen and you can still see a sedan progression. The interior from the 4th to the 5th is a great progression that still harnesses the original theme. They needed to keep the sedan appeal, at least go for somthing clean like a new audi A4, this thing I cannot get used to. I only hope that when I am ready to buy another car I can find a good 2k2-3 six speed with little miles on it.
OK, so that is a definite no, this car will never grow on you. My 2k1 AE was my first Maxima. So the g5's had been out for over a year when I got one. It's possible that the 2k attracted as much attention when it came out as the 2k4 does now. But my Majestic Blue AE never got the comments, looks, stares, people asking questions, people wanting to drive it... like the 04 does. I guess a year from now it all may be over and everyone will go back to fawning over 5th gen's instead.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i would line up

i would line up to a 6th gen ! love to see what shes got. the car is much heavier than my car im almost down to 2900 lbs, have 16 inch rims, 5 speed, and closing in on 230 HP.

Both 5th and 6th have grown on me. I hated the 5th and then it just was there " THE PIRANHA" and the 02, 03's can bite with 255 HP, and I too think that the 6th gen has potential if someone was willing to mod it out. Big Wing, rays or volk rims ... just the works ..im sure someone here will lead the masses !!!

goodluck
Old 07-10-2003, 11:15 PM

Does your first line reffer to a butt dyno, because a Ford lightning doesn't "feel" very fast but it is.

You can also look at the 60, it takes a while to get a boat in motion.

Here we go, when you don't have an argument for your debate you turn to personal attacks towards the person with the opposing opinion.

But hey I understand your anger, you paid a lot more for a max than anyone ever has (considering the generation mark up) and it has recycled parts to cut costs, is uglier, and slower. Who is smoking the crack?
I didn't personally attack him. What, I told him to put down the crack pipe? Man, if that is an attack, I would hate to live in your world.

What in his post, that is not subjective, is accurate? Anything about looks is totally subjective, you hate the 6th gen, I think the old models look like crappy family sedans, it is subjective. Why bother debating looks, everyone has their own opinion on this, as I stated before. I was referring to the "facts" (if you can call them that) of his post.

When someone says that one car would "kill" another, what does that mean? Obviously he doesn't intend for one car to get out a gun and shoot the other, so he must be talking about a race. Lets see... .1 seconds... that is quite impressive. That is barely a nose ahead of the other car... surely you would have to agree that this is hardly a kill by any stretch of the imagination, or are you hitting that pipe as well?

Lets start a poll - How much does a car have to beat another car by in order to have it considered a "kill" in the quarter mile?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 PM

BTW

I was checking something out over at Edmunds.com and I noticed this on the 2002 Max-

"During testing, the car took just 6.3 seconds to reach 60 mph and cleared the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds at 95.6 mph"

Does this mean that the 04 kills the 02? These numbers would show a .1 second difference in the quarter mile, which by Street Reeper's calculations is a kill.

Line them up next to each other and run 3 times, that is the only way you will ever settle this. Until then, you have to rely on other people feeding you the information that they want you to have... pretty accurate way of comparing things...
Old 07-10-2003, 11:50 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

BTW

I was checking something out over at Edmunds.com and I noticed this on the 2002 Max-

"During testing, the car took just 6.3 seconds to reach 60 mph and cleared the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds at 95.6 mph"

Does this mean that the 04 kills the 02? These numbers would show a .1 second difference in the quarter mile, which by Street Reeper's calculations is a kill.

Line them up next to each other and run 3 times, that is the only way you will ever settle this. Until then, you have to rely on other people feeding you the information that they want you to have... pretty accurate way of comparing things...
Are you still at this shiiitt ? Get a fukin life ! Look at all your posts on this forum. You sound like a baby. I could care less what someone thinks about my car. You sound like you have buyers remorse. You sit on this forum and spew your crap to anyone that doesnt like your car..... Shut The Fuuukk UP ! If you hate 5th gens so much, come over to our forum and post a thread... that is if you have the ***** !
Old 07-11-2003, 07:07 AM

Guys...it's going to be ok. They are just cars. lol

GMC, most people at the track would consider more than one car length at the end of the 1320 to be a KILL. I don't think any Auto to Auto or 6 Spd to 6 Spd 02/03 vs 04 match up would be considered a KILL. Maybe an 02/03 6 Spd vs an 04 Auto would turn up as a kill, but I haven't seen any 04s at the track.

If it makes you guys feel better, the last time I was up at the track my 03.5 G35 only ran a 14.82 at less than 95...yeah it was 88 F and yeah it was bone stock with only 1530 on the odometer and yeah I had a 1/2 tank of gas, but my wife's 02 SE ripped all 14.6s and one 14.5 when I took it in the same weather with a bit less gas and a CAI...so unless the CAI makes a ton of difference by wife's MAX is still king of the four door Sedans in our house (Which is fine with her of course).

My feelings are the 4 speed autos shift a lot better for 1/4 mile runs than the new 5 speed autos do...6 speeds are another story...as Motor Trend just ripped a low 14.2 @100+ with a 6 spd G35...

Do you know anyone who's actually taken a new Max to the track? What are they running? take care!
Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Moderator GT-R

Lets start a poll - How much does a car have to beat another car by in order to have it considered a "kill" in the quarter mile?
I'd say a true "kill" has to start with a hole shot and then add some distance in every gear. You gotta see the other guy's front bumper in the inside rear view mirror, otherwise it's a race.

Quick Reply: will this car ever grow on me?