6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:47 PM

6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

which is the better buy i've never drove a 6 speed before dose it lose any power and how offten do you really use the sixth gear?? i test drove the auto max it was real nice compared to me 4th gen but that 6th gear is really catching my eye any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2003, 07:42 AM

Re: 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

Originally posted by 99automax
which is the better buy i've never drove a 6 speed before dose it lose any power and how offten do you really use the sixth gear?? i test drove the auto max it was real nice compared to me 4th gen but that 6th gear is really catching my eye any input would be greatly appreciated
It doesn't gain or lose power in terms of HPs, but since the gear ratios are closer, it better utilizes the power. With out getting into the specifics, essentially the more gears, the faster it accelerates.

I chose the 5sp auto because I drive almost 100 miles a day and I didn't want to deal with the clutch.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The choice of a manual or automatic transmission is largely a matter of personal choice. Most people either love or hate the idea of shifting. I suppose you could make the argument that the automatic with the manual shifter gives you the best of both worlds but those of us who are in love with the clutch pedal don't really see it that way.

Let's clear up this misconception about the 6-speed manual. It's not just the 5-speed manual with another gear tacked on the end that you have to be going 80 MPH to use. By spreading the gearing over 6 speeds rather than 5, each of the first 5 gears can be "stronger" (that is, numerically higher) and high gear can be more economical (numerically lower). You will use 6th gear anytime you're on the highway just as you would use 5th gear in a 5-speed.

You have to be a little bit crazy to drive a 6-speed manual. Are you crazy enough?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

tacking out my max the 2nd day i had it at 150 going down hill crazy enough???
Old 05-23-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by alpine205

The choice of a manual or automatic transmission is largely a matter of personal choice. Most people either love or hate the idea of shifting. I suppose you could make the argument that the automatic with the manual shifter gives you the best of both worlds but those of us who are in love with the clutch pedal don't really see it that way.

Let's clear up this misconception about the 6-speed manual. It's not just the 5-speed manual with another gear tacked on the end that you have to be going 80 MPH to use. By spreading the gearing over 6 speeds rather than 5, each of the first 5 gears can be "stronger" (that is, numerically higher) and high gear can be more economical (numerically lower). You will use 6th gear anytime you're on the highway just as you would use 5th gear in a 5-speed.

You have to be a little bit crazy to drive a 6-speed manual. Are you crazy enough?
Agreed, and it is not necessarilly faster than a 5spd manula would be if they offered it.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

4 speed auto vs 5 speed auto

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the 4 & 5 speed autos. Obviously there's one extra gear but what does that translate to as far as acceleration, engine noise, and fuel economy etc. The reason I ask is because I have the 4 speed SL on order, and I wondered why there's a difference between the SE & SL as far as gears. What do the gear ratios mean (in laymans terms)? Does a 4 speed auto have any benefits vs a 5 speed? It seems to me you'd want the extra gear so the engine wouldn't have to work as hard, especially on the highway but I wanted the SL due to the leather, Bose and smoother suspension. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:23 PM

I'd get the 6-speed as it has the HLSD option which removes the torque steer issue. Of course I'm a tad biased as that is what I have.

I use 6th gear all the time on the highway. On my 1000 mile plus trip last weekend. I was constantly in the high 80s and still got over 27 mpg.

Anyway, it's up to you obviously so I'd try out a 6-speed and then make a decision.

-Ed
Old 05-26-2003, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

So much for the break in period... good job
Old 05-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: 4 speed auto vs 5 speed auto

Originally posted by 2K4 Black Max
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the 4 & 5 speed autos. Obviously there's one extra gear but what does that translate to as far as acceleration, engine noise, and fuel economy etc. The reason I ask is because I have the 4 speed SL on order, and I wondered why there's a difference between the SE & SL as far as gears. What do the gear ratios mean (in laymans terms)? Does a 4 speed auto have any benefits vs a 5 speed? It seems to me you'd want the extra gear so the engine wouldn't have to work as hard, especially on the highway but I wanted the SL due to the leather, Bose and smoother suspension. Thanks.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=performance
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

Originally posted by ch13f

So much for the break in period... good job

My thoughts, exactly!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:35 AM

Re: 4 speed auto vs 5 speed auto

Originally posted by 2K4 Black Max
The same thing is true for the 5spd auto vs 4spd auto that is true for the manuals that were described above.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:05 AM

which is the better buy i've never drove a 6 speed before dose it lose any power and how offten do you really use the sixth gear??
Manuel Transmissions will consistently put down more actual HP to the wheels than an automatic. Not to mention you can pick exactly what RPM to launch at, the combination of the two will yeild significantly better 1/4 mile times. I don't own a 6spd but most people who do use 6th whenever crusing on the highway, it'll definatly save some gas.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:02 PM

You will go faster with a manual, if you know how to drive it. If not, you may go slower.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:23 AM

The above is essentially correct. I insisted in a 6 speed manual in my new SilverMax because I'm a "control freak." I like to control what the engine and transmission are doing rather than let an automatic tranny make those decisions. The automatic can't look down the road, see things and make decisions about them -- but you can. Many drivers are too lazy to make those decisions, and for them the automatic makes "good enough decisions." (And face it, over 90% of the time the automatic's decisions are obviously good enough.)

Better engine braking is another reason to get a manual tranny. I live in the hills west of Colorado Springs, and drive down hill (about a 1,200 foot drop in about 2 miles) every time I leave home. I like being able to use engine braking in either 2nd or 3rd gear to keep the car under control and not have to "ride the brake" down the hill. My previous car was GM built with an automatic -- I'm convinced that using lower gears in it for engine braking was what eventually burned up the first tranny in that car (just before the warranty ended). I then stopped using engine braking in that car.

Another control issue is driving in snow. It's easy to lose traction when starting up with an automatic in snow (the automatic can's see the snow, so it gives you normal starting torque to the drive wheels). With a manual you can start in either 2nd or 3rd gear to minimize starting torque, making it much more difficult to lose traction.

If you are a "thinking driver" it's much more fun to be a "control freak." If you have long commutes in stop-and-go traffic, a manual tranny can become a chore very quickly. Luckily with the new Maxima, the choice of transmissions is your decision.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:13 AM

6th speed would definately be used at highway speeds. I have been driving manuals since i got my license in 95 and the only time i ever have a problem with it is crawling through the D.C. traffic on my way to pennsylvania. it really sucks to drive a manual in stop and go 5 MPH applications where you go 10 feet stop then go 10 feet...etc for like 2 hours or more. i digress but it is fun to me to have a manual because of the control the others speak about.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:33 AM

...it really sucks to drive a manual in stop and go 5 MPH applications where you go 10 feet stop then go 10 feet...
Try this when you're in stop and go traffic that's basically moving but only a few feet at a time. Lay back from the car in front of you about 4-5 car lengths. In 1st gear, let the clutch all the way out and creep forward as slowly as you can trying to maintain some distance from the car in front. Challenge yourself to see how long you can go without using the clutch. The biggest problem with this technique is that sometimes other cars will change lanes to fill in your gap which ****es off the guy behind you.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:47 AM

In my earlier note I neglected to address the Nissan 5 speed automatic "with manual shifter." I test drove a Maxima with this feature when the dealer was having difficulty finding a 6-speed for me (which I ended up finding at another dealer in Colorado). I noted the following features when using the so-called "manual shifter." 1) It would only allow the tranny to shift into a "manual" selected gear if the automatic's logic would allow this shift. Thus, you could not start in 2 gear. It would not let you shift into a higher gear below a speed that the automatic considered appropriate. 2) Engine braking, while not as strong as with the direct connection a manual tranny provides, was better than in many automatic trannies. 3) When using this feature, the gear (number) being used was displayed on the dash.

If you have a lot of stop-and-go driving, this option is certainly worth considering. I don't have that and wanted the best engine braking I could get (and the ability to start in 2nd gear in snow). So I held out for a 6-speed manual.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by gmc74
You will go faster with a manual, if you know how to drive it. If not, you may go slower.
This is quite true. The number of people who think they know how to drive a stick is quite a bit larger than the number of people who actually know how to operate a manual transmission properly.

It's also true that, for the guys who really love driving manual transmission (like me), that is simply the only way to go. The various "manumatic" auto trannies on the market simply do not approximate the tactile reward of working the gearshift in concert with three pedals and doing it well. You really better want a manual tranny before you get one, though. If you find you could take it or leave it, then leave it and get the 5sp. auto. Also, make sure you take an extensive test drive of the 6 sp. before you buy it. Not all manual trannies were created equal.

Cheers,

Jaeger
Old 06-19-2003, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto with manual shifter

Dude, that's harsh on a new car.

What are the new 04's speed limited to? 140MPH?

CM.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Moderator GT-R

Try this when you're in stop and go traffic that's basically moving but only a few feet at a time. Lay back from the car in front of you about 4-5 car lengths. In 1st gear, let the clutch all the way out and creep forward as slowly as you can trying to maintain some distance from the car in front. Challenge yourself to see how long you can go without using the clutch. The biggest problem with this technique is that sometimes other cars will change lanes to fill in your gap which ****es off the guy behind you.
Works every time it is tried. I've found that the guy behind you will give up extra space too. Because if you never show him your brake lights he can't stay as close without risk of hitting you.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by e_marston

I'd get the 6-speed as it has the HLSD option which removes the torque steer issue. Of course I'm a tad biased as that is what I have.
I use 6th gear all the time on the highway. On my 1000 mile plus trip last weekend. I was constantly in the high 80s and still got over 27 mpg.
Anyway, it's up to you obviously so I'd try out a 6-speed and then make a decision.
-Ed
Hey Ed,
I'm considering the SE in December, but eyeing the 5-auto over the 6spd. I've had my SE 5spd for almost 9 years and...it's getting a bit tiring when in heavy traffic. How do you find the 6spd at slow speeds? Can you leave it in first from 1-10mph without the accelerator being too touchy? I've found my SE a bit of a pain in this scenario (has been since new). I'm sure I'll test drive a 6spd before I make my decision, but curious to know your opinion. Thanks.
~Gary
Old 07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
is invisible

Screw the best of both worlds: one car with auto, one car with manual.