6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shimmy in the Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Maxmann
The diagnosis for my problem? Servicing dealer did NOT balance to spec. At the plant, it was determined my wheels were out of balance. They were balanced and my ride is now smooth! This car was just balanced last week. Word is that other wheels coming into the plant from other dealers to be checked were out of balance although dealer had balanced them. It would appear that some dealers aren't keeping their machines calibrated or they are being calibrated incorrectly. However, I'm happy to report that all this stress over what I thought was a serious problem ended up not being so. Good luck to the rest of you. You're going to have to find someone that can give you an accurate read on the condition of the balance and road-force variance on the wheel/tire setup. I'll be taking a 6 hour road trip in the car Saturday, so I'll know for sure if this took care of my problem, but early indicator driving tonight makes it appear that it has.

srm
Why would a dealer have anything to do with the balancing of the wheel when you buy a brand new car? Dont the wheels come balanced to the correct specs from the manufacturing plant? Its a relief to hear that the problem was only minor but it doesnt quite make sense that nissan solution to the problem was improper wheel balancing...DOES THAT MEAN THAT ALL NEW 2004 SL's and SE's NOW HAVE TO GET THE WHEEL BALANCED AND GET THE ROAD-FORCE VARIANCE ADJUSTED AFTER THEY PURCHASE THEIR CAR??? I hope they disclose this problem in writing and not just try to solve it verbally.
MAXMANN,
Update us on how your 6 hr road trip went?
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by diazjl
I am also experiencing the "shimmy" in my SE. My "shimmy" occurs between 35-60 MPH, give or take. I'm not certain of the possible long term damage to the vehicle. I will be taking my car in next month for service and have already called this one in. Let me know what anyone else finds out. Take care.
I specifically drove my Maxima SE (6 weeks and 1,400 miles) today in the 35 to 55 mph range to see if there was any Shimmy. Nothing. Took my hands off of the wheel, and still nothing.

I have noticed a very pronounced Shimmy any time I'm driving on "groved concrete pavement." I attribute that to the groves in the pavement and to the wide tires on the SE.

Other comments to this thread suggest the Shimmy is caused by a problem with either the proper tire balance, wheel allignment, or out-of round with the tires. I suspect this is correct and indicates a problem with dealer final prep of your Maxima.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

road-force variance

Maxmann,

What is road-force variance and how is it measured? I've never seen any tire shop advertize that they do this. Is this something any tire shop can do, or only particular shops? Or only dealers, for that matter? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:11 AM

I've talked with two Nissan service managers this morning in the Chicago area, and both say it's the factory's responsibility to balance wheels before sale. If so, then how can the factory now be blaming the dealers for not doing it, acccording to Maxmann? I can add that I have looked at a lot of 04 Maxes and never seen an external wheel balancing weight on a front or rear wheel. Didn't somebody put Michelins on their car to see if it made a difference? Those tires must have been balanced, but he still had the problem. I don't buy the idea that all these Nissan dealers have improperly calibrated balancing machines. Either the factory failed to balance them, or there is another problem with these cars, in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by lobewiper
I've talked with two Nissan service managers this morning in the Chicago area, and both say it's the factory's responsibility to balance wheels before sale. If so, then how can the factory now be blaming the dealers for not doing it, acccording to Maxmann? I can add that I have looked at a lot of 04 Maxes and never seen an external wheel balancing weight on a front or rear wheel. Didn't somebody put Michelins on their car to see if it made a difference? Those tires must have been balanced, but he still had the problem. I don't buy the idea that all these Nissan dealers have improperly calibrated balancing machines. Either the factory failed to balance them, or there is another problem with these cars, in my opinion.
I agree with you 100% lobewiper. Why the hell would a local dealer balance wheels after they come out from the manufacturing plant? It should have been done at the plant. And the person who changed his tires to michelins, he still had the same problem so I highly doubt the solution was a proper wheel balancing. I hope im wrong cuz I love the new maximas and cant wait for my delivery in august.
Only MAXMANN can tell us all if the problem was really fixed by that balancing that they did to hsi car in the plant.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:09 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have no problems with mine -- 6-Speed Se with HLSD -- Hopefully all this gets sorted out soon. I just dropped my friend off at the dealer where his SE w/ VDC is in for the very problem. He agreed that mine was just fine.

-Ed
Old 06-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by e_marston
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have no problems with mine -- 6-Speed Se with HLSD -- Hopefully all this gets sorted out soon. I just dropped my friend off at the dealer where his SE w/ VDC is in for the very problem. He agreed that mine was just fine.

-Ed
I have a 6spd SE with HSLD and it shakes. Mine shakes at the lower end of the speed ranges mentioned above. I have a couple of stick on wheel weights visible. I've noticed one weight on each of two wheels. The visible weights are on the inside annulus of the rim, between the back of the spoke and the inside bead. Not where I normally expect to see them but not unheard of.
I'll take it in next week for the free oil change and checkup. I have a list of problems not just the shakes.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:08 PM

18" wheels/tires are a nightmare to keep in balance, esp. as the wheels get slightly bent from potholes and the tires get old. Doesn't help that there's not an outer lip for balance weights.

Fashion over function!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by greg_atlanta
18" wheels/tires are a nightmare to keep in balance, esp. as the wheels get slightly bent from potholes and the tires get old. Doesn't help that there's not an outer lip for balance weights.

Fashion over function!
Very true when you get 17 inch and larger things start to get tricky on the balancing, so many variables and issues!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

I have a 6spd SE with HSLD and it shakes. Mine shakes at the lower end of the speed ranges mentioned above. I have a couple of stick on wheel weights visible. I've noticed one weight on each of two wheels. The visible weights are on the inside annulus of the rim, between the back of the spoke and the inside bead. Not where I normally expect to see them but not unheard of.
I'll take it in next week for the free oil change and checkup. I have a list of problems not just the shakes.
What are your problems?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:45 AM

Yes, Bluemaxx! What are your problems? I hope nothing to serious.
--But I think the dealers should quit blameing everybody and just balance the dagg-gone rims/tires! The car is BRAND New with 0-10 miles on it...I will sure take my max on the road for a while before I sign any papers and make sure the shimmy is not there before the purchase
Old 06-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by JAKE02

What are your problems?
I'm working from memory; I have a list at the office.

The shakes.

Right muffler mounted lower and different angle than the left.

Memory seat/mirror/wheel doesn't work about half the time. When it does work it remembers the settings. A loose connection maybe.

Fuel gage or sending unit is flaky. Doesn't always indicate full when it is, can fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4, eventually will find its way to full.

Sunroof sometimes jambs when closing. Jambs at about 2/3 closed. It has the twists in the wind deflector straps, it jambs before it gets that far.

Right side lower dash molded plastic finish piece is warped or something. Looks bad.

Hard to shift from 4-5, hit the reverse gate sometimes. Also is possible to grind reverse on the 5-6 shifts. No, the reverse ring on the shifter doesn't need to be pulled up for this to happen. 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 are perfect. Something isn't right about the 4-5 and 5-6.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:27 PM

I'm working from memory; I have a list at the office.

The shakes.

Right muffler mounted lower and different angle than the left.

Memory seat/mirror/wheel doesn't work about half the time. When it does work it remembers the settings. A loose connection maybe.

Fuel gage or sending unit is flaky. Doesn't always indicate full when it is, can fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4, eventually will find its way to full.

Sunroof sometimes jambs when closing. Jambs at about 2/3 closed. It has the twists in the wind deflector straps, it jambs before it gets that far.

Right side lower dash molded plastic finish piece is warped or something. Looks bad.

Hard to shift from 4-5, hit the reverse gate sometimes. Also is possible to grind reverse on the 5-6 shifts. No, the reverse ring on the shifter doesn't need to be pulled up for this to happen. 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 are perfect. Something isn't right about the 4-5 and 5-6.
Sorry to hear bluemaxx, that doesnt sound good for a new vehicle...esp one in a first -year redesign. Good luck getting everything fixed, hope your dealer is better than most Nissan dealers. Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:45 PM

We have posters above specifically stating they had the problem on SEs with Goodyears. We also have posters above stating the problem exists on SLs with Continentals (most SLs do come with Contis), and one poster switched his tires to Michelin, and still had the shimmy.

This is obviously not a manufacturing problem with the tires (unless all brands are bad. I doubt that).

It seems to me that either something is not being done correctly at the factory when the wheel and tire assemblies are being balanced, or there is a design flaw in the front suspension of the '04 Maxima.

I have actually decided to hold off on ordering my car until this situation is completely resolved.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:52 PM

im getting ready to order my max so hopefully i dont have a lot of the problems you fellas are having
Old 06-22-2003, 03:57 AM

Light,

Nice summary of the posts to date and I totally understand your decision to defer your order. I've already ordered mine, but may well not take delivery unless and until problem is fully resolved. It might be helpful if some 04 owners who have the shimmy would have a reputable non-dealer shop balance their front tires to see if that elmiinates the problem, although I doubt that it will based on re-reading your post. Hang tough!

Originally posted by lightonthehill
We have posters above specifically stating they had the problem on SEs with Goodyears. We also have posters above stating the problem exists on SLs with Continentals (most SLs do come with Contis), and one poster switched his tires to Michelin, and still had the shimmy.

This is obviously not a manufacturing problem with the tires (unless all brands are bad. I doubt that).

It seems to me that either something is not being done correctly at the factory when the wheel and tire assemblies are being balanced, or there is a design flaw in the front suspension of the '04 Maxima.

I have actually decided to hold off on ordering my car until this situation is completely resolved.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:32 AM

I haven't taken the car in for the shimmy problem yet but I checked with my dealer and they immediately said the balancing may be off. I asked if any other customers had come in with this problem and they said yes, a few. I asked if this was warranty covered and they said yes, up to 20,000 km.

I am noticing that the speed at which the shimmy occurs is now lower than it was last week. Last week I reported that it happened just above 100 km/h and now it's clearly below 100 km/h. I am guessing this is due to changes in tire wear. I am leaning toward this being merely a balancing issue. Perhaps it is proving very difficult to correctly balance the 04s which is why most of them are expriencing this problem while some are not. I have heard or read of the recommendation to have the service dept use a Road Force Variation machine when balancing the wheels. So this is probably something you should insist upon.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:17 PM

Does anyone here know how to contact Nissan on this issue?? As we all know it is hard to get hold of the right person who will follow up and not just hear about it and forget it after he hangs up with you.
I have already ordered my 2004 SE but after hearing and personally test driving some SE's with the shimmering problem, I am leaning towards cancelling my order at this time until Nissan comes up with a solution. DO any of you have contacted Nissan directly on this problem? Is the manufacturing plant aware of the problem or it is something that they consider to be not an issue in their opionion? If anyone here has a telephone number we all can contact and express our concerns on this issue, Im sure the engineers at the plant will HAVE to come with the solution very soon!!!
After all of the complaints and no solution so far, it might be some kind of design flaw that might not be corrected until next years model...who knows but anyways any response to this post will be greatly appreciated.
LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD BY NISSAN AND SOON THEY MIGHT SOLVE THIS ISSUE but if we dont express our concerns we'll be stuck with the shimmering probelm!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 06:45 PM

Count me in...

Originally posted by diazjl
I am also experiencing the "shimmy" in my SE. My "shimmy" occurs between 35-60 MPH, give or take. I'm not certain of the possible long term damage to the vehicle. I will be taking my car in next month for service and have already called this one in. Let me know what anyone else finds out. Take care.
Man. Just bought the 2004 Maxima SL and I'm experiencing a slight shimmy also. I also thought it was tire balance and was about to take it in and read this thread. I'm going to take it in and have the tires checked for balance and to start the paperwork trail.

There is no way a car at this price point should have this type of issue. My 2001 PathFinder had brake rotor and tire wear issues, found out the Toyo tires that Nissan put in the Pathfinder are crap.

I just can't believe that a car can get out of manufacturing with this problem...
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM

odd, I am not getting that at all.. good luck guys

As for blue's issues

"Memory seat/mirror/wheel doesn't work about half the time. When it does work it remembers the settings. A loose connection maybe."

I have to ask this... are you pushing the button after turning the key to on? Is there something else that has to be done in a manual? I know with the auto, it has to be in park for the memory to work.

"Fuel gage or sending unit is flaky. Doesn't always indicate full when it is, can fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4, eventually will find its way to full. "

Next time it happens, gently tap the left side of the gauge and it should go right to the right spot. My dad noticed that it happened when he parked it in the sun for an extended period of time while he was borrowing it. I don't ever park in the sun so I can't confirm this.

Oh, and there is a fix for the sun roof issue, read the TSB post at the top of the list of threads.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by gmc74
odd, I am not getting that at all.. good luck guys

As for blue's issues

"Memory seat/mirror/wheel doesn't work about half the time. When it does work it remembers the settings. A loose connection maybe."

I have to ask this... are you pushing the button after turning the key to on? Is there something else that has to be done in a manual? I know with the auto, it has to be in park for the memory to work.

"Fuel gage or sending unit is flaky. Doesn't always indicate full when it is, can fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4, eventually will find its way to full. "

Next time it happens, gently tap the left side of the gauge and it should go right to the right spot. My dad noticed that it happened when he parked it in the sun for an extended period of time while he was borrowing it. I don't ever park in the sun so I can't confirm this.

Oh, and there is a fix for the sun roof issue, read the TSB post at the top of the list of threads.
The memory buttons have stopped working at all. For diagnostics purposes it's probably better that way. Their is nothing I like less than to see 'unable to duplicate problem' on my service request.

I'll try tapping the fuel gage on the head next time I fill the tank. I still want it fixed though. Nothing in the owners manual says I can't park in the sun.

My sunroof has the twisted straps as per the TSB. It still jambs up sometimes.

Overall, I still like the car very much. I see no reason the problems can't be corrected and I go away happy. If not, I'll be looking for something else but not another Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:01 AM

I'll try tapping the fuel gage on the head next time I fill the tank. I still want it fixed though. Nothing in the owners manual says I can't park in the sun.

I parked in the sun today just to see if it happens. If it does, I will drive it to the dealer that is 1 mile away. I will let you know after lunch in a couple of hours.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update on Shimmy - The Nissan dealer has contacted Goodyear and given them the info (# of service visits to balance the tires & Load Force Var. #'s). Goodyear in turn has agreed to replace all four tires under the Goodyear Warranty and given us the authorization # to go to any Goodyear Dealer. My local NTB has been contacted and will be replacing the tires this week. I'll post later to let everyone know if this solves the problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by gmc74

I parked in the sun today just to see if it happens. If it does, I will drive it to the dealer that is 1 mile away. I will let you know after lunch in a couple of hours.
Well this worked! It looks like it is heat that is causing this problem. I was able to drive it over to the dealership and show them. They are going to see what they need to do to replace it.

Grant
Old 06-24-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by xterradave
Update on Shimmy - The Nissan dealer has contacted Goodyear and given them the info (# of service visits to balance the tires & Load Force Var. #'s). Goodyear in turn has agreed to replace all four tires under the Goodyear Warranty and given us the authorization # to go to any Goodyear Dealer. My local NTB has been contacted and will be replacing the tires this week. I'll post later to let everyone know if this solves the problem.
I wonder if the same will apply to the Conti's???
Old 06-24-2003, 02:57 PM

Assert yourself!

Went to local Chicagoland dealer today, & took 3.5SL for test drive on interstate. Found shimmy btw 50 and 75--about an eight of an inch rhythmical rotation-counter-rotation oscillation of steering wheel at its worst. Back to dealer and test-drove with asst. service manager, who agreed there was a problem. Suggested they have Discount Tire (large chain) check balance and if needed, rebalance with Road Force Variance adjustment. Service manager said dealer wouldn't pay for this, so offered to do so myself. Took car to Discount Tire and found one front off by a quarter oz. and the other, a full oz. Re-balanced, reset road force variance (ignoring rears) and re-tested on interstate. Result: almost zero shimmy at all speeds up to 80 mph! Tires were Continentals and factory had incorrectly balanced them. Plan: take delivery of the SL I've ordered and test-drive thoroughly before paying for it. If a problem, insist dealer rebalance until problem is solved.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 PM

that is a shame that the dealer/factory isnt balancing wheels properly. maybe we should firebomb them (still at war over here). but it wont prevent me from ordering one because it is a simple fix it seems.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:50 AM

You're gonna love it; looks and drives like a dream!

Originally posted by lwebb12
that is a shame that the dealer/factory isnt balancing wheels properly. maybe we should firebomb them (still at war over here). but it wont prevent me from ordering one because it is a simple fix it seems.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:18 PM

When I test drove one about three months ago .. it had a shimmy in the steering wheel just like what all of you are describing ... the salesman in the passenger seat said they would be able to take care of that no problem as soon as we got back if I was interested in the car. Guess what folks.. it's stuff like that which makes me NOT want to purchase a car.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by PeterUbers
When I test drove one about three months ago .. it had a shimmy in the steering wheel just like what all of you are describing ... the salesman in the passenger seat said they would be able to take care of that no problem as soon as we got back if I was interested in the car. Guess what folks.. it's stuff like that which makes me NOT want to purchase a car.
That is just a bad dealer, not a bad car... any dealer with half a brain would have fixed it before you drove it, not wait and see if you notice, then offer.

I have never had a shimmy in mine, maybe the dealer fixed it before it was an issue, maybe I am just lucky, no idea...
Old 06-30-2003, 05:33 PM

My Saga Continues and question please

Well my Maxima has been to the dealer twice.

1) 1st time dealer stated in writing that left front wheel out of round, said that Sears across the street could replace and this should take care of the problem.

2) Took the car to the Sears, they stated that the tire wasn't out of round, must mis-seated. Re-seated the tire.

3) Just took the car for a drive and now it still has a shimmy above 45 and it also pulls to the left.

QUESTION: The torque steer that is being discussed in other threads, does this happen when you are just cruising, not accelerating. Driving on a smooth highway, cruising when I take the hands off the wheel it has a pull the the left.

Thanks for any feedback. Great site and forum...
Old 06-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Moderator GT-R

Re: My Saga Continues and question please

Originally posted by BoomerangThree
...QUESTION: The torque steer that is being discussed in other threads, does this happen when you are just cruising, not accelerating. Driving on a smooth highway, cruising when I take the hands off the wheel it has a pull the the left...
Not that I've experienced. Mine torque steers right under most conditions. I think Maxima torque steer is over-rated though. What I've noticed is that under max acceleration it tends to steer away from the crown of the road. On most roads that would be to the right. But compared to other front drive cars I've driven it is very subtle. Maybe if you launch it hard while using both hands to light a cigarette it will pull drastically to the right...but even then I can usually take care of it with my knee holding the wheel straight.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: My Saga Continues and question please

Not that I've experienced. Mine torque steers right under most conditions. I think Maxima torque steer is over-rated though. What I've noticed is that under max acceleration it tends to steer away from the crown of the road.
BlueMax,

Thanks for the reply. So you experience a pull to the right just cruising at a steady speed.

I've owned a couple front-wheel drive cars, mostly Honda and never experienced torque steer cruising at a steady speed.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Re: Re: My Saga Continues and question please

Originally posted by BoomerangThree

BlueMax,

Thanks for the reply. So you experience a pull to the right just cruising at a steady speed.

I've owned a couple front-wheel drive cars, mostly Honda and never experienced torque steer cruising at a steady speed.
No. I guess I was't clear. When I notice torque steer it is normally to the right. If it pulls right all the time it's time to have the alignment checked.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:46 PM

Even though I posted that I have had the shimmy problem , I could go days and not feel the shimmy. Well yesterday I had it happen again and this time it was 45 thru 60 mile per hour. Once the car was on the road for 20 minutes it didn't happen anymore. So what to do
should i take it to the dealer who is 18 miles from home and get there and there is no problem , plus afraid they will scratch the wheels over tighten the wheelnuts and warp the rotors ?
Let me add that this is my third max and the first one that I have had with any problems period.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by Randy
Even though I posted that I have had the shimmy problem , I could go days and not feel the shimmy. Well yesterday I had it happen again and this time it was 45 thru 60 mile per hour. Once the car was on the road for 20 minutes it didn't happen anymore. So what to do
should i take it to the dealer who is 18 miles from home and get there and there is no problem , plus afraid they will scratch the wheels over tighten the wheelnuts and warp the rotors ?
Let me add that this is my third max and the first one that I have had with any problems period.
Sometimes I can try to find the shimmy spot and no can do. I noticed on the way home from work today that it was shaking 45-50ish. First time I've noticed it in days.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Randy
I would call the dealer, schedule an appointment so that they can take a look at it immediately, while you are there.

I'm not that picky of a person, but this shimmy problem is starting to get me fustrated, espcially since others have the same problem.

My next step is to call Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow to document the issue. I really love the car except for the shimmy problem and now pull to the left and I know that it can be fixed. I shouldn't have to be so persuassive with the dealer. They have experienced the problem and acknowledge it, therefore they should just fix it no matter what.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:25 PM

Well I'm happy to report that my Shimmy has been taken care of. After three tries, the dealer balanced the tires again and the ride is as a baby's butt. Most awesome. In fact on the seat when I picked it up was a copy of the following.

"The diagnosis for my problem? Servicing dealer did NOT balance to spec. At the plant, it was determined my wheels were out of balance. They were balanced and my ride is now smooth! This car was just balanced last week. Word is that other wheels coming into the plant from other dealers to be checked were out of balance although dealer had balanced them. It would appear that some dealers aren't keeping their machines calibrated or they are being calibrated incorrectly. However, I'm happy to report that all this stress over what I thought was a serious problem ended up not being so. Good luck to the rest of you. You're going to have to find someone that can give you an accurate read on the condition of the balance and road-force variance on the wheel/tire setup. I'll be taking a 6 hour road trip in the car Saturday, so I'll know for sure if this took care of my problem, but early indicator driving tonight makes it appear that it has."

Looks like my Nissan dealer monitors this forum.

Thanks Nissan and to everyone in this thread that had input, ect...

0 - 110, smooth as silk...
Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 PM

Let me see if I understand this...The new Max is being produced in a new plant with new balancing equipment and the cars shimmy upon customer testing or shortly after purchase. Dealers from all over the country use the same balancing equipment they use everyday to balance and rebalance the wheels/tires but this doesn't solve the problem for the vast majority. Some dealers from all over are sending wheels back to the plant and the response is.....the tires weren't balanced correctly or the balancing equipment(plant and dealer?) wasn't calibrated correctly???
I think I'll wait on a 6th Gen purchase for the time being. Must be some very 'special' wheels on the new Max.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:02 AM

The fact that many '04 Maxima owners report no shimmy at any speed, plus the fact that both SE and SL owners have reported the problem with different make tires, would lead me to believe the factory is not balancing the tire/wheel set properly. It seems some dealers are not equipped/trained to find and fix the problem, either.

One or two posters said a careful balancing with the proper equipment fixed the shimmy.

As to the torque steer, I have always associated torque steer with accelleration. Especially accelleration during turns. If the car pulls to one side while cruising on level pavement, the alignment is not right. If the roadway is noticably crowned (slopes noticably to each side of the centerline), even a properly aligned car will tend to pull to the right.

Quick Reply: Shimmy in the Steering Wheel