6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

anti-theft systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anti-theft systems

Has anybody put an anti-theft system or alarm on their 04? What do you recommend, if anything? I know the car has a vehicle immobilizer built into the ignition key.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:03 AM

clifford alarms are the best way to go, vipers and anything else made by DEI are all in general pretty good
Old 06-12-2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
clifford alarms are the best way to go, vipers and anything else made by DEI are all in general pretty good
Clifford, Python, Viper are all the same alarm from DEI.. It's just that they use different namebrands because they can't be in the same territory and sell the same product.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Has anyone installed a tracking device?

Has anyone installed a tracking device like Lo Jack?

The LieNance manager tried to get me to buy a device called Force Tracker. The LieNance manager fed me the usual BS about how my $30K vehicle can me stolen at anytime and I should protect it. I thanked him for his concern.

Is a vehicle tracking device really necessary?

This same LieNance manager tried to convince me to buy a Nissan warranty as he told me his service department would not accept payment from a 3rd party warranty provider (I bought a better warranty without the dealer markup from 1sourceautowarranty.com). I will be taking my car to a dealer closer to my house for all my service starting with my first oil change. There are 6 Nissan dealership within a 10 mile radius of my house. Most companies in the northeast do not give a $hit about customer service. I can not believe they would turn away business. That is the last vehicle I buy from O’Brien Nissan. I will not be referring anyone to them in the future. I am going to give Elmwood Nissan my business and see how things go.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:17 AM

They are full of it, they would do your service and warranty work for a 3rd party... money is money, they were just trying to get you to buy from them
Old 06-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gmc74
They are full of it, they would do your service and warranty work for a 3rd party... money is money, they were just trying to get you to buy from them
I spoke to the service manager at O'Brien Nissan and he confirmed that they do not accept payment from 3rd party warranty providers. I called their service department directly. I also had the rep at 1sourceautowarranty.com (First Assured) call to find out if they would accept payment. The rep got the same BS I did. F NJ...this state sucks! I have been to 3rd world countries that were nicer!!

(It is not your fault if you were born and raised in NJ.)
Old 06-12-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by marmadogg
No, but it is your fault if you keep living there.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:40 AM

I JUST NOTICE THAT YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH TO FART DUST!!!
Hmm, it doesn't smell like dust. Good luck on your retirement -- it sure beats working.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:17 PM

sulfer...

that is unreal, I can't believe they are such *** wipes... oh well, I am sure other dealers will take it
Old 07-12-2003, 04:14 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

I am very familiar with 3rd party warranties. I'm a sales Consultant for Carmax Mitsubishi in Laurel Md, and I sell extended warranties on our new and used cars. The warranty is underwritten by AON. If anyone knows about the Maxcar warranty Carmax sells it is good in the lower 48 states and in Canada, and can be used at almost any repair shop.

However, I have ran into a few issues where dealers WILL NOT honor my clients claim. It has more to do with the fact that most warranty companies don't want to pay the repair shop for the work done. Or the customer isn't aware of his/her responsibilties about the work performed such as paying for the non covered work or whathave you. So it is true, that dealers don't have to honor a 3rd party extended warranty. But do your research, no one really knows the true price of an manufacture extended warranty but the dealer. Call around to local dealers. I've decided that I will purchase my next Maxima from Carmax Nissan in White Marsh, MD and get the Nissan extended warranty so that way I'm covered at both ends and I will benifit from my discount on top of that. Just my two cents.

I spoke to the service manager at O'Brien Nissan and he confirmed that they do not accept payment from 3rd party warranty providers. I called their service department directly. I also had the rep at 1sourceautowarranty.com (First Assured) call to find out if they would accept payment. The rep got the same BS I did. F NJ...this state sucks! I have been to 3rd world countries that were nicer!!

Old 07-12-2003, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Clifford, Python, Viper are all the same alarm from DEI.. It's just that they use different namebrands because they can't be in the same territory and sell the same product.
i always knew they're all by DEI, but are all of them exactly the same? no differences at all between them? cliffords cost more than vipers dont they. hrmm
Old 07-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Cliffords are very expensive. I had the RS2 on my 91' SE. I brought it from Best Buy when I was working for them, and I paid $119 for it on discount. Retail price for it was $449. I had to remove it because it became defective, and DEI said they would sent me a new one, but I kept putting it off to send back the brain and transmitters. Car is totaled now but I still have the parts to send back. Proper installation is expensive on it too. Discount was $222 non discound would have been about $500, including the options I had installed on with it.
Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

i always knew they're all by DEI, but are all of them exactly the same? no differences at all between them? cliffords cost more than vipers dont they. hrmm
Old 07-12-2003, 05:51 PM

i have a clifford intelliguard 7000 installed on my 04 max...the total came out over $1000 with installation
$479 alarm
$150 driver door unlock without passenger, separate button for rest of car to unlock
$250 for pager when alarm goes off
$150 for tilt sensor (rim protection)

very high prices, but the only installation shop in town that i trust...my car is usually the cheapest level they work on...every other car is a mercedes, BMW, etc...the stock alarm can work at the same time if you want.

NOTE: after installation, the alarm would trigger every 30 minutes...there is a diagnostic that the car runs every 30 minutes which needs to be by passed.

if you go with other alarms, you may have problems with the dimming dome light, which gives you annoying window beeps.

clifford makes an alarm with a pager, but the quality of that alarm is lower than the intelliguard 7000...pager is very cool! works through walls and everything.

Originally posted by Madmax1991
Cliffords are very expensive. I had the RS2 on my 91' SE. I brought it from Best Buy when I was working for them, and I paid $119 for it on discount. Retail price for it was $449. I had to remove it because it became defective, and DEI said they would sent me a new one, but I kept putting it off to send back the brain and transmitters. Car is totaled now but I still have the parts to send back. Proper installation is expensive on it too. Discount was $222 non discound would have been about $500, including the options I had installed on with it.