6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What do i pay for this model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 07:20 AM

What do i pay for this model?

Hey guys.

I priced up a 2k4 SE 6-speed.
All i want on it is:
Liquid Silver Color
Black cloth
Sunroof
Rear spoiler
Splash Guards
Floor Mats

I looked up invoice online and its 25,962 after Destination
MSRP = 28,900

What should i offer for this car on the road if i transferr tags?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Re: What do i pay for this model?

Originally posted by Igor911
Hey guys.

I priced up a 2k4 SE 6-speed.
All i want on it is:
Liquid Silver Color
Black cloth
Sunroof
Rear spoiler
Splash Guards
Floor Mats

I looked up invoice online and its 25,962 after Destination
MSRP = 28,900

What should i offer for this car on the road if i transferr tags?
No offense Igor, but that is an impossible question to ask. The only thing we can really help with is what you should pay for the car prior to tax, title, etc since we don't necessarily live where you live and have no idea what that will cost for you.

That being said, most people are getting close to invoice, maybe a few hundred over. Depending on where you live, that may vary. Other people are having a hard time dealing with the dealers, they don't want to budge much. Hold your ground, I wouldn't pay more than $26,500 if the invoice is $25,962. That price is before taxes, registration, doc fee, etc... so the final price is going to be more.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:55 AM

Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

Originally posted by gmc74

No offense Igor, but that is an impossible question to ask. The only thing we can really help with is what you should pay for the car prior to tax, title, etc since we don't necessarily live where you live and have no idea what that will cost for you.

That being said, most people are getting close to invoice, maybe a few hundred over. Depending on where you live, that may vary. Other people are having a hard time dealing with the dealers, they don't want to budge much. Hold your ground, I wouldn't pay more than $26,500 if the invoice is $25,962. That price is before taxes, registration, doc fee, etc... so the final price is going to be more.
What did you pay for yours b4 taxes and all?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

What did you pay for yours b4 taxes and all?
Mine is a very different car, but I paid a few hundred over invoice. I think it was 29,500 or somewhere around that, I think it was less but it has been a few months and I just don't remember. The invoice on mine was $29,200 and change (SE, Driver Preferred, Mats, splash guards, power sunroof).
Old 07-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

That price is before taxes, registration, doc fee, etc... so the final price is going to be more.
Let's talk about those extras. I bought my car out-of-state for invoice + $300. The dealer added a $45 doc fee and $5 tire fee. I didn't pay him any sales tax. I could have picked the car up but I had it shipped by truck so I had to pay for shipping as well -- $440. That was still a long way from the MSRP that the local dealers wanted.

After I got the car and the paperwork, I went down to DMV and paid my sales tax and fees for registration and title. As much as I hated giving DMV almost 3 grand, at least I knew I was paying actual cost with no additional dealer profit thrown in. I wonder if it's possible to convince an in-state dealer that you'll handle the registration and title to minimize those add-ons.

As a side note, in the middle of May, I made an offer on a fully loaded 6-speed SE that had been on the local dealer's lot for a month. I wanted to pay invoice + $500, he wanted MSRP. That car is still on the dealer's lot.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

Originally posted by alpine205

Let's talk about those extras. I bought my car out-of-state for invoice + $300. The dealer added a $45 doc fee and $5 tire fee. I didn't pay him any sales tax. I could have picked the car up but I had it shipped by truck so I had to pay for shipping as well -- $440. That was still a long way from the MSRP that the local dealers wanted.

After I got the car and the paperwork, I went down to DMV and paid my sales tax and fees for registration and title. As much as I hated giving DMV almost 3 grand, at least I knew I was paying actual cost with no additional dealer profit thrown in. I wonder if it's possible to convince an in-state dealer that you'll handle the registration and title to minimize those add-ons.

As a side note, in the middle of May, I made an offer on a fully loaded 6-speed SE that had been on the local dealer's lot for a month. I wanted to pay invoice + $500, he wanted MSRP. That car is still on the dealer's lot.
The sales tax and registration fees are straight forward, the dealers aren't making any money on them. They do get the benefit of float on the amount that they over charge you vs what it really cost, between the time you pay it and the time they send you a check back for the difference, but that is it. They don't have the right to charge you more tax, or more for your registration.

Did you trade a car in? If so, remember that you don't have to pay sales tax on the portion of the sales price that is covered by your trade in. My trade in was worth 18,500, so I only paid sales tax on $11,000 which makes a pretty big difference. Saved over $1000 in sales tax.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:00 PM

so if i put 15k down, i dont pay tax on the 15?
Old 07-09-2003, 12:36 PM

so if i put 15k down, i dont pay tax on the 15?
No, if you have a trade-in worth 15k, you don't pay tax on the 15k. How much cash you put down on the car has no effect on your sales tax.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

They do get the benefit of float on the amount that they over charge you vs what it really cost, between the time you pay it and the time they send you a check back for the difference, but that is it.
Ah, so you're saying that they sent you a check for the amount they overcharged you? Did they itemize everything?

I just don't trust these guys. As you may remember, I got a quote from a Phoenix dealer. His quote included AZ sales tax which is higher than NV. He told me I had to pay it but when I bought the car in CA, I didn't pay the dealer any sales tax.

He also wanted to charge me $484.25 for "License, Transfer Title and Registration Fee." I'm not sure if that was supposed to include the NV personal property tax or not. Does AZ have a personal property tax related to the value of the car?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do i pay for this model?

Originally posted by alpine205

Ah, so you're saying that they sent you a check for the amount they overcharged you? Did they itemize everything?

I just don't trust these guys. As you may remember, I got a quote from a Phoenix dealer. His quote included AZ sales tax which is higher than NV. He told me I had to pay it but when I bought the car in CA, I didn't pay the dealer any sales tax.

He also wanted to charge me $484.25 for "License, Transfer Title and Registration Fee." I'm not sure if that was supposed to include the NV personal property tax or not. Does AZ have a personal property tax related to the value of the car?
They overcharged me for the registration. When I received the registration it is all itemized on there. I knew I paid too much so I just waited for the check, and sure enough I received it a few weeks later for the difference.

The $484.25 sounds about right. The car registration includes property tax here in AZ. The person that you spoke with just didn't know what they were doing. You are right about the sales tax and registration. For the sales people this is different from the norm, they have no idea what to do... not like they will work there in a month or two any way...

Old 07-10-2003, 11:16 PM

i wouldnt pay more than 200 over invoice