6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Missing Parts in Wheel Well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003 | 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Missing Parts in Wheel Well?

Just purchased an 04 Maxima SE - Spirited Bronze. WOW is this drivetrain addictive!!
I feel guilty calling this a *Family* car.

Thanks to all on this forum for quickly getting me up to speed on issues regarding the Maxima.

As I was washing the car for the first time, I noticed that the rear wheel wells are lined with what appears to be cardboard-backed trunk carpet. Did they forget to put the plastic liner around the wheel wells

Surely Nissan's engineers are not this brain dead - It appears that I have to wash and vacuum the rear wheel wells to clean them. How long will this look attractive once mud and road grime starts building up.

Please tell me that they forgot to put these parts on and that its NOT a trademark of Maximas.

I can't get to a dealer anytime soon to check out the others.
Old 07-12-2003 | 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

that stuff is soundproofing for the car, its meant to be there
Old 07-12-2003 | 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by hoffman
that stuff is soundproofing for the car, its meant to be there
I can understand the soundproofing - but why is this fabric material exposed to the elements - especially around the rear wheels - !!!
I have a feeling after a few thousand miles of road grime that this material will look very bad (even with routine cleaning). Certainly a poor design decision.
Old 07-12-2003 | 08:45 PM

is it actual carpet?
Old 07-18-2003 | 11:16 PM

I test drove a Mazda 6 before a Maxima, and they happen to have the same 'carpet' in the wheel wells as the Maximas. I pointed that out, and the salesman said it was normal.. I certainly dont think so.
Old 07-18-2003 | 11:56 PM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Missing Parts in Wheel Well?

Originally posted by MinMax04
Just purchased an 04 Maxima SE - Spirited Bronze. WOW is this drivetrain addictive!!
I feel guilty calling this a *Family* car.

Thanks to all on this forum for quickly getting me up to speed on issues regarding the Maxima.

As I was washing the car for the first time, I noticed that the rear wheel wells are lined with what appears to be cardboard-backed trunk carpet. Did they forget to put the plastic liner around the wheel wells

Surely Nissan's engineers are not this brain dead - It appears that I have to wash and vacuum the rear wheel wells to clean them. How long will this look attractive once mud and road grime starts building up.

Please tell me that they forgot to put these parts on and that its NOT a trademark of Maximas.

I can't get to a dealer anytime soon to check out the others.
Calm down, take a breath. Spray it off at the car wash just like before, it will look fine. How did you know it was there? I can't see it, (without bending over,)but I stuck my hand in there and felt around. It is kind of fuzzy textured. I think they covered the wheel wells with the same stuff that is on the doors. I guess you could ScotchGuard the wheel wells if you are worried about it.
Old 07-19-2003 | 05:34 AM

Rear wheel well fuzz.........

Hey Fellows, this material is on the rear of the '04 to reduce water "spray" from out of the wheel well. I just hit 4,000 miles last nite, only had 'er up to 120 mph so far. Wow! what a strong pull the car has on the Interstate. My buddy's '02 Altima 3.5 just get's left behind at around 105 mph. WHAT A CAR the'04 is!!
Old 07-19-2003 | 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Missing Parts in Wheel Well?

Originally posted by bluemaxx
Calm down, take a breath. Spray it off at the car wash just like before, it will look fine. How did you know it was there? I can't see it, (without bending over,)but I stuck my hand in there and felt around. It is kind of fuzzy textured. I think they covered the wheel wells with the same stuff that is on the doors. I guess you could ScotchGuard the wheel wells if you are worried about it.
I knew it was there after I gave my car a thorough washing and found grass, debris, and stuff still lingering around the rear wheels. It looks like it needs to be vacuumed. To bad I will have to take the wheels off to do it. There's no room for a wand between the tire and carpet
Old 07-19-2003 | 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My GF's Ford Focus also has the same carpety stuff in the rear wheel wells. So it looks like quite a few vehicles will have this factory installed.

CM.
Old 07-19-2003 | 02:18 PM

I bet this stuff is better at sound dampening, if not also cheaper than the normal plastic stuff they used to put in. I wouldn't doubt that its already scotchguarded, however i dont like it personally :/