6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bose Premium Audio: Where's the bass???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Bose Premium Audio: Where's the bass???

Hey, I love my sound system...crystal clear, sweet highs, loud, great sound, but DAYUM, the lows are not that low! One would expect subwoofer-like sound from this package. Anyone have any ideas to get some sub sound without robbing my trunk space? Has anyone added anything cool yet?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:28 PM

I must be getting old. My Bose system sounds great and my wife can't stand the bass. Check your settings!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:13 PM

yeah for real. I think the bose bass is very nice and tight for a stock system. Its pretty decent for stock IMO.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Glude
yeah for real. I think the bose bass is very nice and tight for a stock system. Its pretty decent for stock IMO.
Yep, it's very tight, and awesome for a stock system. I guess I'm just used to my previous cars in which I installed subs and in this car I don't want to lose the trunk space.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by MaximumMike
I must be getting old. My Bose system sounds great and my wife can't stand the bass. Check your settings!
Same here, my wife always turns it down... lol
Old 07-24-2003, 11:39 AM

lol

my wife hasn't driven it yet... I let my dad borrow it for a week, but I haven't let my wife take it to the store..

Old 07-24-2003, 03:24 PM

Sounds best between 22 - 24 on the volume...I keep the bass set at +3..treble at +3. No major complaints....bass could be a little more punchy though.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been seriously concidering an Infinity Basslink to round out the system nicely. I just haven't found one at a good price yet. Plenty of them on Ebay that are good and cheap. Its just shipping to Canada that kills me.

CM.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:27 PM

There person who designed the system did a great job. They have a good front sound stage, and near flat dynamics. Which means you hear the sound like it is meant to be heard. It would be intresting to set up a RTA and see just how well this system works. From my semi-trained ear, I can tell you it is pretty good.

Many people don't realize that bass isn't suposed to be real loud... well in real music, it's not. Low end sound come from the rythem section of a group, which is there to support the rest of the group, not to steal the lime-light. Ever notice when you go to a rock concert that the cymbol crashes are no were near as loud as the lead guitar solo? It's the same deal.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:51 PM

I installed a Basslink in my wife's Accord and although it's pretty small, it still takes up a significant amount of trunk space, so be careful.

I'm a hip hop person, true, although I like all kinds of music. I just miss some of the cool club sounds that I hear in my wife's car that don't even get reproduced in my maxima. Perfect example is Skater Boy by Avril Lavigne. Come on, admit it, you all know you have that cd!

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
I've been seriously concidering an Infinity Basslink to round out the system nicely. I just haven't found one at a good price yet. Plenty of them on Ebay that are good and cheap. Its just shipping to Canada that kills me.

CM.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
As a general rule, my wife isn't allowed in my car. I like the Bose system. The sound reproduction is very accurate and the bass is appropriate. If you are into hip hop it may be a let down though. My measure has more to do with dynamic range and clarity than making the car shake. This may be a sign of aging though.
Dynamic range?! That is exactly what the bose in the Maxima lacks!!
And you don't have to be into hip-hop or teeth shattering bass to notice that at around 95 hz the system begins to tailor off. Bass below that is WEAK and NULL!! The next time you're boppin to some Bethovan, and the quiet baritone rumble of a bass drum is released, or the masculine 20 hz growl of a pipeorgan is fired... guess what, you'll only hear it as a flat short-wavelengthed note!! And that's because the Bose in the 04 Max is hideously lacking in the dynamic lower range. There's no defending it, the 04 Bose sucks! For 320 watts and two 8 inch subs you have to realize the the system is a prank! If not, the jokes on you.
Don't mis-construe the concept of "no bass". Bass is so much more than just a tight solid punch. To be truly dynamic, the bass from the bose unit should be audible and strong at even the lower frequencies (45 hz and below).

If you don't realize what I'm saying, then simply go to a Nissan Dealership and listen to the Bose in the Altima. TRUST ME YOU WILL THEN SEE THAT THE BOSE IN THE MAX IS TRULY A STEP DOWN!!
And while the system in the Altima isn't the world's greatest, you'll quickly realize that extra $$ for the units in the Max are a lost investment.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by nissan_man

Dynamic range?! That is exactly what the bose in the Maxima lacks!!
And you don't have to be into hip-hop or teeth shattering bass to notice that at around 95 hz the system begins to tailor off. Bass below that is WEAK and NULL!! The next time you're boppin to some Bethovan, and the quiet baritone rumble of a bass drum is released, or the masculine 20 hz growl of a pipeorgan is fired... guess what, you'll only hear it as a flat short-wavelengthed note!! And that's because the Bose in the 04 Max is hideously lacking in the dynamic lower range. There's no defending it, the 04 Bose sucks! For 320 watts and two 8 inch subs you have to realize the the system is a prank! If not, the jokes on you.
Don't mis-construe the concept of "no bass". Bass is so much more than just a tight solid punch. To be truly dynamic, the bass from the bose unit should be audible and strong at even the lower frequencies (45 hz and below).

If you don't realize what I'm saying, then simply go to a Nissan Dealership and listen to the Bose in the Altima. TRUST ME YOU WILL THEN SEE THAT THE BOSE IN THE MAX IS TRULY A STEP DOWN!!
And while the system in the Altima isn't the world's greatest, you'll quickly realize that extra $$ for the units in the Max are a lost investment.
You're right, there are better systems available.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:40 PM

The radio in the car is perfect for me, and frankly that is all I care about.

I don't think anyone on this thread thought that their $900 was going to buy the perfect stereo system.

I would love to hear you acheive what you have stated, in a 2004 Maxima for $900... At least a third of that would go into the fabrication of a new center console for the stereo. Then another few hundred for the 6 disk changer, a few hundred more for the head unit... and you don't have speakers yet.

So let me get this straight. You can spend (I will be conservative) $100 for a newly fabricated center console part of the dash. $200 for a head unit (pretty cheap there) $200 for a 6 disc changer (good luck), and now you have $300 for amps and speakers to give you that full range of music that you spoke about.

Hmmm, sounds to me like you are really looking at $2000-3000 to really get a kicking system in that car that will do everything you want it to... I am guessing that most of us aren't really ready to drop that kind of cash to listen to "the masculine 20 hz growl of a pipeorgan". You do realize that the target audience for the Maxima is not teens and early twenties right?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by gmc74
The radio in the car is perfect for me, and frankly that is all I care about.

I don't think anyone on this thread thought that their $900 was going to buy the perfect stereo system.

I would love to hear you acheive what you have stated, in a 2004 Maxima for $900... At least a third of that would go into the fabrication of a new center console for the stereo. Then another few hundred for the 6 disk changer, a few hundred more for the head unit... and you don't have speakers yet.

So let me get this straight. You can spend (I will be conservative) $100 for a newly fabricated center console part of the dash. $200 for a head unit (pretty cheap there) $200 for a 6 disc changer (good luck), and now you have $300 for amps and speakers to give you that full range of music that you spoke about.

Hmmm, sounds to me like you are really looking at $2000-3000 to really get a kicking system in that car that will do everything you want it to... I am guessing that most of us aren't really ready to drop that kind of cash to listen to "the masculine 20 hz growl of a pipeorgan". You do realize that the target audience for the Maxima is not teens and early twenties right?

The Bottom Line is that the 180 watt system in the Altima sounds far better than the 320 watt system in the Max. If the system in the Max fits you...then fine. But it shouldn't be outdone by it's lesser expensive, less luxzurious, less powerful unit in it's little brother the Altima. Catch my drift?! No matter what you say, the point is that the system in the Max has ben degraded! DEGRADED!! DEEEEGRADE ITTTT!!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:48 PM

I don't see it.

give me some sort of proof? How can you spew stuff like "the system in the Max has ben degraded!" based on something so subjective?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:55 PM

I don't think he realized that, G!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:55 PM

The Bottom Line is that the 180 watt system in the Altima sounds far better than the 320 watt system in the Max. If the system in the Max fits you...then fine. But it shouldn't be outdone by it's lesser expensive, less luxzurious, less powerful unit in it's little brother the Altima. Catch my drift?! No matter what you say, the point is that the system in the Max has ben degraded! DEGRADED!! DEEEEGRADE ITTTT!!
And something else, when was the last time you saw teens talking about the wounderful recital of Bach's. It dosen't matter what the age, lower frequencies play a significant role in music no matter what the music is targeted at.

And as far as your response facturing in the money isssue you mentioned, if you are satisfied with the results your extra $900 bought you, then Nissan has pulled the rug under your feet.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:03 PM

I don't see it.

give me some sort of proof? How can you spew stuff like "the system in the Max has ben degraded!" based on something so subjective?
You want cold hard measurements.....sorry I'm not the guy for that. But take one listen to the base unit in the Altima and the Bose unit in the Altima. Then compare that to the upgraded unit in the Max. You'll find that both units in the Altima sound more powerful, hit lower, and provide more spacious lower frequencies than the Max.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:30 PM

Coming from a car with a fully upgraded stereo to the bose in the maxima i was left wanting more. Over the time that i've had the car, i've started to accept it more, but i feel that there is still something missing. Maybe because im use to pounding bass, but at the same time i feel some other stock systems sound better, like my moms stratus. Tho it's still growing on me, the bose is at least better then what i initially thought it was.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:20 PM

You want cold hard measurements.....sorry I'm not the guy for that.
"And you don't have to be into hip-hop or teeth shattering bass to notice that at around 95 hz the system begins to tailor off."

"the masculine 20 hz growl of a pipeorgan is fired"

Hmm, those seemed like cold hard measurments when you were spouting off like you knew what you were talking about. Then asked for actual proof to back up these items, and nothing...

Ask Jake02, I like people to actually back up their opinions when they are stating them as fact... if you can't, then it is an opinion, nothing more.

ahhh, finally my kind of emoticon..
Old 07-24-2003, 11:08 PM

"And you don't have to be into hip-hop or teeth shattering bass to notice that at around 95 hz the system begins to tailor off."

Hmm, those seemed like cold hard measurments when you were spouting off like you knew what you were talking about. Then asked for actual proof to back up these items, and nothing...

Ask Jake02, I like people to actually back up their opinions when they are stating them as fact... if you can't, then it is an opinion, nothing more.

I'm going to have to agree with you GMC.

As far as hearing the system roll off at 95 HZ... well that's about right, because that is where the human ear rolls off at! You CANNOT hear much under 100 HZ. Try as you might to say that you do, but when you hear bass lines, you aren't hearing the frequency they are playing, you are hearing "over-tones" which are higher frequenies made at the same time as the main note is made.

One good example of this is listen to a bass line at 110 dB's, something in the 50-100 hz range. Now, listen to something in the 1000-10000 hz range at 110 dB's... what APPEARS louder to you? The high frequencies do. Why? Because you are actually hearing the full 110 dB's of them.

Like I said in my previous post, hooking up a RTA, (real time analyzer) would be intresting, because it would show exactly how this system performs, no ifs, ands or buts about it. It removes all opinions.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:11 AM

Unless your WANTING TO START SOME $hit......leave my name out of your conversations...and of course YOU wouldnt want to be stirring up the pot now would you gmc??
Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 AM

Ok problem one: If what I posted earlier sounded like cold hard measurements without any proof, then how secure was the comment earlier by someone else about "dynamic clarity" and "accurate sound reproduction" without any proof to back that up? Sorry but if you confused my take on the matter as something meriting proof, then I must be pretty darn good!.

And Problem two: Why are you defending the Bose in the Max so graciously when you yourself have yet to play by your own rules? Where is your proof that the Max has more bass than the Altima? Where is your proof that the 320 Watt system in the Maxima produsces richer lows than the Altima? If you need a measuring tool to tell you that both units in the Altima sound more pwerful, and hit deeper than the Max, then it's no wonder you're satisfied with the bose in the Max. YOU CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Redsand187

I'm going to have to agree with you GMC.

As far as hearing the system roll off at 95 HZ... well that's about right, because that is where the human ear rolls off at! You CANNOT hear much under 100 HZ. Try as you might to say that you do, but when you hear bass lines, you aren't hearing the frequency they are playing, you are hearing "over-tones" which are higher frequenies made at the same time as the main note is made.

One good example of this is listen to a bass line at 110 dB's, something in the 50-100 hz range. Now, listen to something in the 1000-10000 hz range at 110 dB's... what APPEARS louder to you? The high frequencies do. Why? Because you are actually hearing the full 110 dB's of them.

Like I said in my previous post, hooking up a RTA, (real time analyzer) would be intresting, because it would show exactly how this system performs, no ifs, ands or buts about it. It removes all opinions.
Humans can't hear below 100 hz???? ahh Wrong!!
And what exactly is your point anyway? I'm not here to discuss the range of sounds the human ear can hear. And what ever your logic behind your statements are so be it. The point is, there are other systems within Nissan's own line up that reproduce those "Overtones" ,so you say, alot deeper and more pronounced than the unit in the Max. Regradless of whtever illusion we think we're hearing when a 100 hz note is played, the fact the the Max omits these sounds is surely no illusion.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's just my opinion:

I just don't know why people need turn their volumn and bass so loud. For me, it hurts my ears and under my research (I have PHD degree in Music), it won't hurt you but in the future.

I admit that Bose is not a good enough for 2004 Maxima, but for me that's enough. I am talking about the quality of the sound, not how loud of the sound.

when you turn your bass so loud, please take care other people (drivers) to see if they like it or not.

Just my opinion, Don't beat me.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by lee3635
It's just my opinion:

I just don't know why people need turn their volumn and bass so loud. For me, it hurts my ears and under my research (I have PHD degree in Music), it won't hurt you but in the future.

I admit that Bose is not a good enough for 2004 Maxima, but for me that's enough. I am talking about the quality of the sound, not how loud of the sound.

when you turn your bass so loud, please take care other people (drivers) to see if they like it or not.

Just my opinion, Don't beat me.
When's the next Dulcimer recital??
Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nissan_man, watch your language, he just tries to state his opinion.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HaHaHa, That's interesting. Nissan-man, Actually, I am from Canada and I earned my degree from your country.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by lee3635
HaHaHa, That's interesting. Nissan-man, Actually, I am from Canada and I earned my degree from your country.

Thanks for not getting offended. I was only kidding.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM

totally subjective...
Old 07-25-2003, 02:22 PM

totally subjective...
Okay and Nissan is banking on others like you not being able to hear the 320 watts of hot air being pumped out of their crappy Bose setup. $900 dollars to be exact!!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:47 PM

Apparently there are a lot of us. How many 04 owners here didn't get the Bose?

I am still waiting for you to explain how you would build a better system for the Max, for $900 or less. Not possible...
Old 07-25-2003, 02:59 PM

Apparently there are a lot of us. How many 04 owners here didn't get the Bose?

I am still waiting for you to explain how you would build a better system for the Max, for $900 or less. Not possible...
HELLO ARE YOU THERE?!!!!
FORGET ABOUT THE $900 FOR A MOMENT. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOU'D BE PAYING $1800 FOR THE BOSE IN THE ALTIMA BECAUSE IT SOUNDS TWICE AS GOOD AS THE ONE IN THE MAX!!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:34 PM

Okay and Nissan is banking on others like you not being able to hear the 320 watts of hot air being pumped out of their crappy Bose setup. $900 dollars to be exact!!

I cant state an opinion re: 04 Bose, but I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt blow. The Bose in my 5th gen sucks and sucks bad. I guess my opinion is so harsh because the CHEAPER Bose that was in my 4th gen(97) was MUCH BETTER than the crap in my 5th gen.....With the corners being cut on the 6th gen i.e. cheap hard dash and suede material on door panels it doesnt surprise me the Bose MAY HAVE NOT improved over the 5th gen. I'm holding judgement for myself until I hear an 04 Bose.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

I cant state an opinion re: 04 Bose, but I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt blow. The Bose in my 5th gen sucks and sucks bad. I guess my opinion is so harsh because the CHEAPER Bose that was in my 4th gen(97) was MUCH BETTER than the crap in my 5th gen.....With the corners being cut on the 6th gen i.e. cheap hard dash and suede material on door panels it doesnt surprise me the Bose MAY HAVE NOT improved over the 5th gen. I'm holding judgement for myself until I hear an 04 Bose.
Thank you!! Exactly my point. After the 4th gen the Bose got worse!!

Oddly enough the 02 Altima, Murano and the FX sound better than the 5th and 6th gen Maxima. What the heck was Nissan thinking. Then they have the nerve to tout "ohh it now has 320 watts". 320 watts of what because it surely isn't power!
Old 07-25-2003, 05:53 PM

Ok problem one: If what I posted earlier sounded like cold hard measurements without any proof, then how secure was the comment earlier by someone else about "dynamic clarity" and "accurate sound reproduction" without any proof to back that up? Sorry but if you confused my take on the matter as something meriting proof, then I must be pretty darn good!.

And Problem two: Why are you defending the Bose in the Max so graciously when you yourself have yet to play by your own rules? Where is your proof that the Max has more bass than the Altima? Where is your proof that the 320 Watt system in the Maxima produsces richer lows than the Altima? If you need a measuring tool to tell you that both units in the Altima sound more pwerful, and hit deeper than the Max, then it's no wonder you're satisfied with the bose in the Max. YOU CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!!!!
Where did I say any of that?

If you are going to quote me as saying something, please try to get it right... or in the ball park.

I said it sounds fine to me.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:10 PM

Man you crack me up.

First you try to make yourself sound like you know what you are saying by spouting off sound measurements, then you say that if "You want cold hard measurements.....sorry I'm not the guy for that"...

Next you tell us:

"you'll quickly realize that extra $$ for the units in the Max are a lost investment"

"outdone by it's lesser expensive"

"And as far as your response facturing in the money isssue you mentioned, if you are satisfied with the results your extra $900 bought you, then Nissan has pulled the rug under your feet."

"Okay and Nissan is banking on others like you not being able to hear the 320 watts of hot air being pumped out of their crappy Bose setup. $900 dollars to be exact!"

"FORGET ABOUT THE $900 FOR A MOMENT. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOU'D BE PAYING $1800 FOR THE BOSE IN THE ALTIMA BECAUSE IT SOUNDS TWICE AS GOOD AS THE ONE IN THE MAX!!"

Do us all a favor, pick something and stick with it...

I don't care how the stereo compares to anything, it sounds good to me and that is all I give a **** about. Why would I care if there was a stereo out there that is better? I don't need the best, I need it to be good to me. If I was looking for the best I would have held out for a BMW, not a Nissan.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:35 PM

Man you crack me up.

First you try to make yourself sound like you know what you are saying by spouting off sound measurements, then you say that if "You want cold hard measurements.....sorry I'm not the guy for that"...

Next you tell us:

"you'll quickly realize that extra $$ for the units in the Max are a lost investment"

"outdone by it's lesser expensive"

"And as far as your response facturing in the money isssue you mentioned, if you are satisfied with the results your extra $900 bought you, then Nissan has pulled the rug under your feet."

"Okay and Nissan is banking on others like you not being able to hear the 320 watts of hot air being pumped out of their crappy Bose setup. $900 dollars to be exact!"

"FORGET ABOUT THE $900 FOR A MOMENT. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOU'D BE PAYING $1800 FOR THE BOSE IN THE ALTIMA BECAUSE IT SOUNDS TWICE AS GOOD AS THE ONE IN THE MAX!!"

Do us all a favor, pick something and stick with it...

I don't care how the stereo compares to anything, it sounds good to me and that is all I give a **** about. Why would I care if there was a stereo out there that is better? I don't need the best, I need it to be good to me. If I was looking for the best I would have held out for a BMW, not a Nissan.
Get a clue man! If it sounds fine to you, and you haven't compared it to anything else, then why the heck are you even on this topic. If you've forgotten, the title of this forum is "where's the bass". And if you response to that is "it sounds fine to me", then save yourself the trauma and wipe yourself from this subject all together. Of course it sounds fine when you compare it to say........nothing! And it dosen't take owning a BMW to get a better stereo. There are cars within Nissan's own lineup that exploit the 320 Watt bose for what it is. Crap!!

And since you obviously can't comprehend data, perhaps I'll satisfy you in the future with one worded posts. Or will that be too complicated for ya?
Old 07-26-2003, 05:05 AM

Where did I say any of that?

If you are going to quote me as saying something, please try to get it right... or in the ball park.

I said it sounds fine to me.
If you would have noticed, I didn't quote you as saying that. I stated that the Altima sounded much better than the Max. Then you offsetted my conclusion by responding to the contrary. And if you have already admitted than you haven't even heard the system in the Altima, then you don't need proof. You simply need to hear the two systems for yourself, to see what I'm talking about. Until then, you'll never know what you're missing.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:07 PM

Get a clue man! If it sounds fine to you, and you haven't compared it to anything else, then why the heck are you even on this topic. If you've forgotten, the title of this forum is "where's the bass". And if you response to that is "it sounds fine to me", then save yourself the trauma and wipe yourself from this subject all together. Of course it sounds fine when you compare it to say........nothing! And it dosen't take owning a BMW to get a better stereo. There are cars within Nissan's own lineup that exploit the 320 Watt bose for what it is. Crap!!

And since you obviously can't comprehend data, perhaps I'll satisfy you in the future with one worded posts. Or will that be too complicated for ya?

exactly........LOL

Quick Reply: Bose Premium Audio: Where's the bass???