6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 10:39 AM

2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Not wanting to start a "flame" (I've always thought it a lame term) war here, but I'm just curious of this:

For those of you who bought an 04 Maxima, why wouldn't you just get an Infiniti G35 sedan??

To me it seems a no brainer to have the Infiniti with RWD a better warranty, better dealer service, and on top of that, the Infiniti is lighter and faster (significantly), and handles better than the 04 Maxima.
And with about equal option appointments the two cars are priced almost identically.

So I'm curious, did you guys even consider the Infiniti first? And what led you to pay so much for the 04 Maxima. I priced an 03 SE 6 speed Maxima vs. the 04 SE 6 speed Maxima with equal appointments and the 04 was about $3,200 more! Again, that puts it all but even with the price of an Infiniti G35 sedan 6 speed.

Just curious, thanks.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:51 AM

One is more sports car oriented, and the other is more luxurious. Obvious to see that the Max is the more luxurious of the 2. When you sit inside the SL, the Seats move back and forth, that way the driver wont have to adjust his/her seat to exit the vehicle. G35 doesnt have that.
You are looking at this question from a Sports Enthusiast's point of view. better dealer service, no, just more expensive dealer service. Same mechanics, mostly same parts, jsut higher priced because it is an Infiniti. ANd Personally, i would rather take a road trip in a Max(larger room, more comftorable seats, although the G35 seats are excellent, but excellent in hugging you in the corners) rather than a G35.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:37 PM

Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by Driver72
Not wanting to start a "flame" (I've always thought it a lame term) war here, but I'm just curious of this:

For those of you who bought an 04 Maxima, why wouldn't you just get an Infiniti G35 sedan??

To me it seems a no brainer to have the Infiniti with RWD a better warranty, better dealer service, and on top of that, the Infiniti is lighter and faster (significantly), and handles better than the 04 Maxima.
And with about equal option appointments the two cars are priced almost identically.

So I'm curious, did you guys even consider the Infiniti first? And what led you to pay so much for the 04 Maxima. I priced an 03 SE 6 speed Maxima vs. the 04 SE 6 speed Maxima with equal appointments and the 04 was about $3,200 more! Again, that puts it all but even with the price of an Infiniti G35 sedan 6 speed.

Just curious, thanks.
Test drove both and decided that the Maxima was best for me.
RWD is not an option for the main car in my household.
IMO, the Maxima was faster, larger and as far as looks are concerned, it was love at first sight!!!
Also, with most equal option appointments, the G35 is more. Check your figures again.
Now, if I could afford another $30,000+ car, I would consider the G35 coupe as my own personal vehicle.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by bombtrack_ratm
One is more sports car oriented, and the other is more luxurious. Obvious to see that the Max is the more luxurious of the 2. When you sit inside the SL, the Seats move back and forth, that way the driver wont have to adjust his/her seat to exit the vehicle. G35 doesnt have that.
You are looking at this question from a Sports Enthusiast's point of view. better dealer service, no, just more expensive dealer service. Same mechanics, mostly same parts, jsut higher priced because it is an Infiniti. ANd Personally, i would rather take a road trip in a Max(larger room, more comftorable seats, although the G35 seats are excellent, but excellent in hugging you in the corners) rather than a G35.
No you are wrong when you say Ifiniti service isnt better when compared to Nissan, it is. Anyone here will tell you the same.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

No you are wrong when you say Ifiniti service isnt better when compared to Nissan, it is. Anyone here will tell you the same.
Well I have never owned an "Ifiniti", so I couldn't tell you how their service is.

I chose the Maxima over the G35 for many reasons.

Comfort - if it takes me more than 1 minute to find a comfortable driving position in a car, forget it. Such was the case with the G35... except I never found a comfortable driving position.

Ergonomics - Those damn seat controls in the G35... UGH...

Styling - Maxima looks much more aggressive, and I like the looks of the interior better

FWD - RWD in Chicago is a no-no

Options available in the Maxima that are not available in the G35 (can we say Elite Package? )

etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:58 PM

Just curious, thanks.
I was getting A G35, and then a saw the Max. I liked the rear lights and the front grill better, dual chrome tip exhaust on both sides. I've come all the way from not liking FWD to now prefering it. Just for the same reasons many others have better in the weather or when pulling out of a shoulder or soft ground. Performance wise it runs and turns darn good (SE model). I prefer the multi function digital screen as oposed to the 3 function analog clock (hours, minutes and seconds) And of course the 3k to 5K difference in price depend on options, and the fact that I'd been looking at G35's for a while and the Maxima was a cool new look. I've never expirienced Infinity service but Nissans is weak. I love my Max. and I have caught G-35 owners checking out my ride they're both great cars!
RC
Old 07-26-2003, 04:01 PM

Don't we have a 10-page thread on this very subject already?

FWIW, there are only 2 reasons I would pick a Maxima over a G35:

1) The G is RWD. Winter happens where I live.
2) The G is approx. CDN$5,000 more than a comparably-equipped Maxima, and that gap widens as much better discounts are available on the Maxima.

The G35 is a fantastic vehicle, and the superior shift feel alone is almost enough to tip the scales in its favour. Almost, but not quite.

Cheers,

Jaeger
Old 07-26-2003, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by LDLDL

Test drove both and decided that the Maxima was best for me.
RWD is not an option for the main car in my household.
IMO, the Maxima was faster, larger and as far as looks are concerned, it was love at first sight!!!
Also, with most equal option appointments, the G35 is more. Check your figures again.
Now, if I could afford another $30,000+ car, I would consider the G35 coupe as my own personal vehicle.

Well I'm not sure where you guys get the idea that the Maxima cost less. Go to Edmunds and price a new Maxima SE with 6 speed manual and the premium package (one step down from the "elite" package) and you get a price of $32,680
Then price an Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 speed with the premium package and you get a price of $32,845.
This options the two cars nearly identically and the price is also basically identical.

As for thinking the 04 Maxima is faster, huh? It's best tested 0-60 is 6.3 seconds, the G35 sedan is 5.77 seconds. The Infiniti holds a sizeable advantage there.

And, personally, I own a 2002 Maxima, which so far has also shown to be faster than the 2004, and it's a bit too large as it is.
Since when is having a larger car than that a plus?
I thought they went too big with the Altima.

It's funny, when the 2000 Maxima debuted people (sports sedan enthusiasts) were complaining they made the car too big. Same with so many other cars that are supposed to have sports intentions (like the GTI).
But now, owners of the Altima and new Maxima are saying, "yeah but it's larger and has more room."

Isn't this a bit hypocritical??
Hate size when it doesn't relate to your car, but as soon as you run out and buy one, it's suddenly a plus!

Interesting however, I guess the only true reason I would see in getting the porkier new Maxima is if I lived in a climate where front wheel drive was prefered. But then personally, I think I would just get an AWD car instead.

In my experience, when I was shopping, Infiniti dealer and service is much better than Nissan by the way. Back in January 2002, we went with the Maxima over the I35, simply because the I35 was a dressed up Maxima and wasn't worth the extra dough.

Our 2002 Maxima has the seats that move forward and back too, and I hate it. It's one more thing that will eventually break, most surely after the warranty expires. And I'm sure that won't be cheap. I turn that and other little unneeded gadgets like that off.

I was asking because, though I really like our 2002 Maxima, there's a handful of things I think could be improved upon and in other cars it is. Ie: I thought I'd get used to the torque steer when jumping on the gas. I still hate it and really don't ever want to deal with that again. I've heard it still exists in the new Maxima. That seems unacceptable to me. So I've been thinking of trading in the car for the Infiniti G35 instead.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Well I'm not sure where you guys get the idea that the Maxima cost less. Go to Edmunds and price a new Maxima SE with 6 speed manual and the premium package (one step down from the "elite" package) and you get a price of $32,680
Then price an Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 speed with the premium package and you get a price of $32,845.
This options the two cars nearly identically and the price is also basically identical.

As for thinking the 04 Maxima is faster, huh? It's best tested 0-60 is 6.3 seconds, the G35 sedan is 5.77 seconds. The Infiniti holds a sizeable advantage there.

And, personally, I own a 2002 Maxima, which so far has also shown to be faster than the 2004, and it's a bit too large as it is.

It's funny, when the 2000 Maxima debuted people (sports sedan enthusiasts) were complaining they made the car too big. Same with so many other cars that are supposed to have sports intentions (like the GTI).
But now, owners of the Altima and new Maxima are saying, "yeah but it's larger and has more room."

Hate size when it doesn't relate to your car, but as soon as you run out and buy one, it's suddenly a plus!

Interesting however, I guess the only true reason I would see in getting the porkier new Maxima is if I lived in a climate where front wheel drive was prefered. But then personally, I think I would just get an AWD car instead.

In my experience, when I was shopping, Infiniti dealer and service is much better than Nissan by the way. Back in January 2002, we went with the Maxima over the I35, simply because the I35 was a dressed up Maxima and wasn't worth the extra dough.

Our 2002 Maxima has the seats that move forward and back too, and I hate it. It's one more thing that will eventually break, most surely after the warranty expires. And I'm sure that won't be cheap. I turn that and other little unneeded gadgets like that off.

I was asking because, though I really like our 2002 Maxima, there's a handful of things I think could be improved upon and in other cars it is. Ie: I thought I'd get used to the torque steer when jumping on the gas. I still hate it and really don't ever want to deal with that again. I've heard it still exists in the new Maxima. That seems unacceptable to me. So I've been thinking of trading in the car for the Infiniti G35 instead.
Were did you get that 5.77 time for the the G35 Sedan. That sounds more like a manual coupe time?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:16 PM

Just curious, thanks.
There is a huge thread dedicated to this topic.

I test drove the G35 sedan (as well as about a dozen other cars) before I bought my 04 Max.

Things I didn't like about the G35-

Size- I couldn't get comfortable in it. I felt cramped in the front seat, and the lack of travel/leg room left me scratching my head.

Ergonomics- It seemed that everything you shouldn't do in a car, they did. The seat controls suck, the mirror controls are in the worst spot. It is pretty poorly designed.

Cost- Sure the MSRP is close to the same as the Max, but the Infiniti dealers were a lot less willing to deal. That may have a lot to do with the fact that all the Infinity dealers here are owned by the same company, so they have a monopoly. I didn't want the car, so I didn't try hard to deal with them, but they weren't all that willing.

Things I liked better about the Max-

Interior- I like the looks. I also love the space. I wasn't looking for a sports car, I wanted a luxury/sporty sedan.

Bells and Whistles - I like the seat that moves when I want to get out, and the power tilt and telescoping wheel

Ergonomics - it is a lot more comfy! There is more space, and a lot more leg room.

I did like the G35's ride, and I like the car overall... but there are too many things that were not comfortable for me.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:22 PM

My service has been great so far, I am not sure what you could do to make it better. At best, "Ifiniti" could have the same service as the service I am getting, but I don't think it could be better.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:33 PM

This is *really* becoming "The Thread that Wouldn't Die". Gotta agree with Jaeger and gmc74 that this just been discussed to death. Those who bought the G liked it and could afford it - same for those who bought the Max. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just let it go.....
Old 07-26-2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by bradshaw46
This is *really* becoming "The Thread that Wouldn't Die". Gotta agree with Jaeger and gmc74 that this just been discussed to death. Those who bought the G liked it and could afford it - same for those who bought the Max. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just let it go.....

This topic needs to die a painful death, it is played out
Old 07-26-2003, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Obviously you are someone who likes smaller cars. Good for you. I like them big and the G35 seemed too small for me. As far as which one is faster, I did say that I felt, in my opinion, that the Max was faster! I could give a "Rat's A$$" about a tested .53 seconds!!!!
The car I now have lists for $30,600, the G35 with same options lists for 33,160. I live on the east coast, so the "Porkier" Max is ideal for moi! As for service, all of my Nissan dealers have been absolutely wonderful, bending over backwards to keep me happy. The one thing I don't like is that they will not give you a loaner like the Infinity dealers do (My Dad has an Infinity).
Enjoy the G35, when you do finally purchase it, as much as myself and many others in this forum who are enjoying our Maximas.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by bradshaw46

Originally posted by gmc74

This topic needs to die a painful death, it is played out
Agree, Agree, Agree!!!!!

Old 07-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What is it with 5th gen owners that compels them to bad mouth 6th gens in the 6th gen forum? It sounds like car envy.

Go to the 5th gen forum and preach to the choir or try an Infiniti forum.

The G35 is tired and will get smoked when the 2005 3-series comes out late next year.

This lame a$$ thread is so played out already!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Were did you get that 5.77 time for the the G35 Sedan. That sounds more like a manual coupe time?
Yea I agree Monte......way to fast for a G sedan, even a 6spd. Maybe a 6spd coupe, but still sounds a tick too fast for even that.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:01 PM

Did you ever consider we may want a larger vehicle?
Just curious, thanks.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:53 PM

Obviously, the cars play to 2 different tunes or Nissan would not build 2 cars at the same price, hell 3 when u throw in a loaded Altima.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by bombtrack_ratm
When you sit inside the SL, the Seats move back and forth, that way the driver wont have to adjust his/her seat to exit the vehicle. G35 doesnt have that.
with the premium package on the G35 you do get it
Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by marmadogg
What is it with 5th gen owners that compels them bad mouth 6th gens in the 6th gen forum? It sounds like car envy.

The G35 is tired and will get smoked when the 2005 3-series comes out late next year.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since it is out there... I didn't find it strange at all that a 5th gen owner started this thread.

It was the 1st 5th gen owner that came in here and admitted that his car wasn't perfect though...
Old 07-27-2003, 07:41 AM

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since it is out there... I didn't find it strange at all that a 5th gen owner started this thread.

It was the 1st 5th gen owner that came in here and admitted that his car wasn't perfect though...
OH REALLY?? How absurd that comes from you of all people.........seems I dont care to admit my car's shortcomings.......such as sucky Bose system, weirdish looking taillights ( my least fav thing about my 5th gen ), stupid tilt on steering wheel. As I see no car is perfect, however it is YOU that will go to any lengths ( as seen on here many many times) to defend whatever is said/complained about your 6th gen. Please give us break and shut at least one side of you mouth .
Old 07-27-2003, 07:49 AM

My service has been great so far, I am not sure what you could do to make it better. At best, "Ifiniti" could have the same service as the service I am getting, but I don't think it could be better.
Try a loaner vehicle each and everytime you bring your Infiniti in for anything ( If your Nissan dealer has provided you a loaner always-kudos to you...your lucky, most dont.)
Old 07-27-2003, 11:02 AM

Try a loaner vehicle each and everytime you bring your Infiniti in for anything ( If your Nissan dealer has provided you a loaner always-kudos to you...your lucky, most dont.)
Major repairs they have, oil changes they haven't. I am not sure that is worth the extra money though, it takes less than 30 minutes to get an oil change, I drop it off and either eat my lunch or go out to luch with a buddy of mine then pick it back up.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:03 AM

OH REALLY?? How absurd that comes from you of all people.........seems I dont care to admit my car's shortcomings.......such as sucky Bose system, weirdish looking taillights ( my least fav thing about my 5th gen ), stupid tilt on steering wheel. As I see no car is perfect, however it is YOU that will go to any lengths ( as seen on here many many times) to defend whatever is said/complained about your 6th gen. Please give us break and shut at least one side of you mouth .
Yeah, cause I haven't said anything about the things I don't like on the Max... sure. I guess this just proves that you don't actually read the threads that you respond to.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:58 PM

Jake, go buy an Accord, please! That car suits you perfectly.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by 04EliteSE
Jake, go buy an Accord, please! That car suits you perfectly.
Um ok, nice intelligent resonse??
Old 07-27-2003, 05:41 PM

Yeah, cause I haven't said anything about the things I don't like on the Max... sure. I guess this just proves that you don't actually read the threads that you respond to.
What? oh come on, surely your kidding right? So everything is perfect on your 6th gen? Great glad your happy in your fantasy land....
Old 07-27-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by marmadogg
What is it with 5th gen owners that compels them to bad mouth 6th gens in the 6th gen forum? It sounds like car envy.

Well, I don't know where you guys get the idea that's way too fast for a G35 sedan with 6 speed. The sedan with an auto does it in 6.2 seconds. Keep in mind guys, the G35 Coupe weighs quite a bit more than the sedan, so even though it's got 280 hp, it needs it for it too be faster than the sedan.
As for where I got that number:

Motor Trend August 2003 issue
0-60 in 5.78 seconds (sorry I was one hundredth of a second off)
1/4 mile in 14.28 @ 100.3 mph!

And this isn't a 5th generation owner bashing the 6th gen Max.
It's a 2002 Maxima owner considering the Infiniti G35 who wanted to get ideas from 2004 Max owners on why they choose the Max over the Infiniti.

Sounds more like a bunch of 6th generation owners are a little bit testy and defensive. Relax, it's okay that the 6th generation is slower than the 5th generation. It's more luxurious, that's what the point was for Nissan anyway.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:41 PM

What? oh come on, surely your kidding right? So everything is perfect on your 6th gen? Great glad your happy in your fantasy land....
Exactly my point, I have listed what I don't like about my car on here before, but you apparently only see what you want when you "read" the forum.

Remember the turning radius thread, maybe you need to go back and re-read that. Save the ignorant comments until then please.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Well, I don't know where you guys get the idea that's way too fast for a G35 sedan with 6 speed. The sedan with an auto does it in 6.2 seconds. Keep in mind guys, the G35 Coupe weighs quite a bit more than the sedan, so even though it's got 280 hp, it needs it for it too be faster than the sedan.
As for where I got that number:

Motor Trend August 2003 issue
0-60 in 5.78 seconds (sorry I was one hundredth of a second off)
1/4 mile in 14.28 @ 100.3 mph!

And this isn't a 5th generation owner bashing the 6th gen Max.
It's a 2002 Maxima owner considering the Infiniti G35 who wanted to get ideas from 2004 Max owners on why they choose the Max over the Infiniti.

Sounds more like a bunch of 6th generation owners are a little bit testy and defensive. Relax, it's okay that the 6th generation is slower than the 5th generation. It's more luxurious, that's what the point was for Nissan anyway.

My bad, didnt realize the G35 was that fast. Thanks for the correction.....I have even more respect for the Infiniti......to bad the G35 6spd wasnt available when I shopped/purchased my Max. 6th gen owners testy and defensive? OF COURSE NOT, well maybe a few.............
Old 07-27-2003, 10:19 PM

Yeah, we are all so defensive... at least we don't hang out in other gen forums taunting them and pretending we don't have other gen envy
Old 07-28-2003, 12:04 AM

yahh, umm the 4th gen smokes all ya'll
Old 07-28-2003, 05:17 AM

Yeah, we are all so defensive... at least we don't hang out in other gen forums taunting them and pretending we don't have other gen envy
Like I said maybe a FEW.......If the shoe fits.....
Old 08-06-2003, 01:12 AM

my maxima has, rear heated seats,heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, power passenger seat, more cargo room, the G doesnt...slap a se of 20's on the max and you have a fuking tight car
Old 08-06-2003, 04:27 AM

My first choice was the G35, but the clowns at the dealers didn't want to bring the price down. All of them were overpricing the car because of the awards that it recieved. I walked out of my last Infiniti dealer and drove past a sign that had the new 04 Max on it and my wife said "You can atleast go look at the car in person". She liked the Max and I thought it was ugly on the billboard. But as soon as I got in it and saw the difference that the G35 was lacking. It was a done deal.

Also, infiniti has a better service plan and warranty. But, I can't wait until you see what happens to your thoughts about it when that service plan runs out and your warranty is up. They are gonna rape your pockets and make up for the two years that they didn't charge you within 1 year.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:30 AM

I bought the 100K mile warranty and service plan, that will make up for any difference in service or warranty
Old 08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Ute

Originally posted by PejMax97SE
yahh, umm the 4th gen smokes all ya'll

OK, maybe not, but I like it.

Here's my take, and possibly why these threads exist. Back in '91, with the 3rd gen. maximas, it was tagged the 4 Door Sports Car. It even had 4DSC labels on it. The entire point of the model was that it was a sports car first, unlike the other sedans. I imagine that is when people like us first started to notice Maximas, and become enthusiasts. In '95 and '96, it was one of the 10 best cars. (Motor Trend.) It hasn't had that distinction since then, and has gotten bigger each succesive generation, my 4th gen included. It is no longer a 4 door sports car IMO. That title would belong to the G35, as I see no other car with the same stats in its price range. (The 330i is not in its price range.) I think those of us who own neither a G35 or 6th gen would view the G35 as the car that most resembles what we would see as an enthusiast car and 4DSC.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by Ute

OK, maybe not, but I like it.

Here's my take, and possibly why these threads exist. Back in '91, with the 3rd gen. maximas, it was tagged the 4 Door Sports Car. It even had 4DSC labels on it. The entire point of the model was that it was a sports car first, unlike the other sedans. I imagine that is when people like us first started to notice Maximas, and become enthusiasts. In '95 and '96, it was one of the 10 best cars. (Motor Trend.) It hasn't had that distinction since then, and has gotten bigger each succesive generation, my 4th gen included. It is no longer a 4 door sports car IMO. That title would belong to the G35, as I see no other car with the same stats in its price range. (The 330i is not in its price range.) I think those of us who own neither a G35 or 6th gen would view the G35 as the car that most resembles what we would see as an enthusiast car and 4DSC.
I own a 6th generation Maxima and I agree with most of your premise. I would argue that ‘beam axle’ and ‘sports car’ are a contradiction of terms. As such, the 4th and 5th generation Maxima are disqualified. An independent rear suspension alone does not make a sports car either. In my mind front wheel drive is an automatic disqualification too.
But if a G35 coupe is a sports car then a G35 sedan is too, it just has more doors.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:16 PM

Getting a loaner car depends on how many loaner cars are available.... with a lot of G35s on the road the service volume at dealerships has increased, and loaners may not always be available.

Maxima is flagship, G35 is entry level.

Quick Reply: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan