6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 PM

I like both cars almost bought coupe. With that said ...

I have never had more people stop me and comment on my car, all types of people old, young, wealthy (looking) ...

Before I bought my car I parked it next to a G35 and the Max has/had a much better presence.

I see many G35's and they blend in pretty well.

Performance wise, lauches and corning will be better on a G. But 99% of the drivers will NEVER corner at the limit in the Max, let alone the G. I love a car that can launch hard, but in everyday driving, it's not often I'm sitting still with 1/4 mile of open road to just rip it, so in buying an everyday driver that does well in those rare moments, but lacks head room, good drivers position, 18" rims, ... was not worth it. Let alone the styling.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

Try a loaner vehicle each and everytime you bring your Infiniti in for anything ( If your Nissan dealer has provided you a loaner always-kudos to you...your lucky, most dont.)
Uh yea, like I would need a loaner for a 10 minute car wash/dry/wheel cleaning...

Oh wait, I thought Nissan service sucked? Then why does my dealer wash/dry/detail my wheels whenever I bring my car in specifically for that? Hmmm.. that sure doesn't sound like bad service.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by greg_atlanta

Getting a loaner car depends on how many loaner cars are available.... with a lot of G35s on the road the service volume at dealerships has increased, and loaners may not always be available.

Maxima is flagship, G35 is entry level.
A Ferrari Modena Berlinetta is "entry level" too, I am not sure I understand the argument.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by gmc74

A Ferrari Modena Berlinetta is "entry level" too, I am not sure I understand the argument.

I agree with the comment about the Max being Flagship and G being Entry. When you buy Nissan, you obviously want the best, when u buy Infiniti, you would want the best too, but why settle for a G35 if ur buying infiniti, why not M45, or if u have the money Q45. It's the point of Having the best car with the Nissan Burger on it. WHen I see a G35, I do think to myself "Why would u settle for a G"
I get that same feeling when i see any entry level car, no matter what company.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by bombtrack_ratm

I agree with the comment about the Max being Flagship and G being Entry. When you buy Nissan, you obviously want the best, when u buy Infiniti, you would want the best too, but why settle for a G35 if ur buying infiniti, why not M45, or if u have the money Q45. It's the point of Having the best car with the Nissan Burger on it. WHen I see a G35, I do think to myself "Why would u settle for a G"
I get that same feeling when i see any entry level car, no matter what company.
Yea I agree with GMC, I dont understand the argument on this....The "flagship"of Nissan ( Max) is "lower" than the entry level of a luxury div such as Infiniti (G35) no flames intended. When people see you driving your Max, they may think why did he settle on a Nissan when he could have had an Infiniti...prolly because you liked the max better, etc etc.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:22 PM
DiRtY ThIrTy

IMO, Infiniti is worse than Nissan so far. i had an 02 q45 and got rid of it for my 04 max. i love the max so far, and i would never go back to infiniti. there service was terrible and the car was terrible. they had to put a new tranny and motor in and then thye had my car in the shop for almost a month with an electrical problem. then they towed it to another infiniti dealership and they fixed the problem which happened to be a fuse(bull S***). that is why i do not lke infiniti.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by DiRtY ThIrTy
IMO, Infiniti is worse than Nissan so far. i had an 02 q45 and got rid of it for my 04 max. i love the max so far, and i would never go back to infiniti. there service was terrible and the car was terrible. they had to put a new tranny and motor in and then thye had my car in the shop for almost a month with an electrical problem. then they towed it to another infiniti dealership and they fixed the problem which happened to be a fuse(bull S***). that is why i do not lke infiniti.
I understand, but lets not forget who makes Infiniti? The same folks who made that Max your driving.....If I had been as disgusted as you with your Ifniniti I sure as hell wouldn't have purchased a Nissan.... Your also the first person I have ever heard complain about Ifiniti service...have you ever owned a Nissan before? I mean a Nissan...Nissan? Service is USUALLY lots worse...hope you get lucky with your Nissan service..
Old 08-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

I understand, but lets not forget who makes Infiniti? The same folks who made that Max your driving.....If I had been as disgusted as you with your Ifniniti I sure as hell wouldn't have purchased a Nissan.... Your also the first person I have ever heard complain about Ifiniti service...have you ever owned a Nissan before? I mean a Nissan...Nissan? Service is USUALLY lots worse...hope you get lucky with your Nissan service..
Old 08-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Ute

Originally posted by bluemaxx

I own a 6th generation Maxima and I agree with most of your premise. I would argue that ‘beam axle’ and ‘sports car’ are a contradiction of terms. As such, the 4th and 5th generation Maxima are disqualified. An independent rear suspension alone does not make a sports car either. In my mind front wheel drive is an automatic disqualification too.
But if a G35 coupe is a sports car then a G35 sedan is too, it just has more doors.

Exactly. The Maxima might never have been a true sports car, but as the years have gone by, it has only become more and more sedate. (HP excluded, but that only increased the torque steer....) My question is this:

When did it become acceptable to Maxima owners that the car is not a drivers car, but a powerful luxury touring vehicle? I'm willing to bet a large majority of .org members would describe theselves as avid driving enthusiasts, and often take thier car to the limit.

Originally posted by jbgoodmax

Performance wise, lauches and corning will be better on a G. But 99% of the drivers will NEVER corner at the limit in the Max, let alone the G. I love a car that can launch hard, but in everyday driving, it's not often I'm sitting still with 1/4 mile of open road to just rip it, so in buying an everyday driver that does well in those rare moments, but lacks head room, good drivers position, 18" rims, ... was not worth it. Let alone the styling.
This quote underscores my point - a driver who has accepted the "norm". I often push my car hard, wether it be on a clover loop (60mph on 19's), a freeway on-ramp, canyon drive, or a street legal drag at the local track. I doubt most find the G that uncomfortable or ugly, but maybe next to a Max, it is in those areas.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by Ute
When did it become acceptable to Maxima owners that the car is not a drivers car, but a powerful luxury touring vehicle? I'm willing to bet a large majority of .org members would describe theselves as avid driving enthusiasts, and often take thier car to the limit.
If the Maxima was ever 'a drivers car,' it was stopped cold with the introduction of the 4th generation.

I think the 6th generation Maxima may qualify as a driver's touring sedan, but while it has most of the requisite luxury appointments it stops short of being a luxury car.

You are no doubt correct about the self-image of most .org members. The vast majority of Maxima owners however, couldn't care less about WFO performance. I care about performance but it isn't my prime motivator.

I selected the '04 over several other cars at the price point. I like the Maxima's balance of power, comfort, handling, appearance and price. These were the same traits that lead me to my first Maxima, a 2001 AE.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:43 PM

I think Road and Track said it best for the 04.
Nice family car
Average sporty sedan
Bad sports sedan

And your Q45 had to be a lemon, Infiniti is in the top 5 year after year for reliablity.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I think Road and Track said it best for the 04.
Nice family car
Average sporty sedan
Bad sports sedan

And your Q45 had to be a lemon, Infiniti is in the top 5 year after year for reliablity.
I think it's a great family sedan! It is powerful, well mannered and satisfying to drive.

These days you can be an average sporty sedan and still be in some good company. That wasn't true five or six years ago. The great ones aren’t getting greater as fast as the average ones are catching up.

I don't consider it a sports sedan so to me it's a bit unfair to call it a bad sports sedan. But I know what they meant and Nissan does promote it that way.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:57 AM
DiRtY ThIrTy

i had an i30 before hand and the service was decent. i never had a nissan but i know people who had and do not mind the service. i wish it was a lemon, but it had 20000 miles when all went wrong, yea i know it was covered under warranty but it still su**ed.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Ute

Exactly. The Maxima might never have been a true sports car, but as the years have gone by, it has only become more and more sedate. (HP excluded, but that only increased the torque steer....) My question is this:

This quote underscores my point - a driver who has accepted the "norm". I often push my car hard, wether it be on a clover loop (60mph on 19's), a freeway on-ramp, canyon drive, or a street legal drag at the local track. I doubt most find the G that uncomfortable or ugly, but maybe next to a Max, it is in those areas.

Hold your horses. accepting the "norm" First, the Max is not the norm. Second, I drive my car hard also, when I have the chance (as my post stated). Third, I doubt you are driving the car at the limits, such that anymore speed will cause a total loss of control at pretty high speeds. Most people in Vetts, Z's ... who have plenty of room don't even push it that far, anyone with a normal job that cann't afford to smack a guard rail once in a while in a 30+ thousand dollar car will "have fun", but not to point of no return.

My point was that if a person spends most of thier time in a car in situations that force them to drive like everyone else, then it's best to get a car that is comfortable, large enouph and fast. With the Max handling so well, many G drivers will not exceed the Max level of handling let alone the G which is greater.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

I looked at and drove both. The G35 can't be bought as a base car with the 6 spd, that would out the price close to my Maxima SE, $29K. Biggest thing though is I just don't fit in the G35, legs are too long, jammed against door controls. A coupe is much better than sedan but the way it is packaged the 6 spd is over $32K, once again if they offered the 6spd with the base car I might be swayed.

Originally posted by Driver72
Not wanting to start a "flame" (I've always thought it a lame term) war here, but I'm just curious of this:

For those of you who bought an 04 Maxima, why wouldn't you just get an Infiniti G35 sedan??

To me it seems a no brainer to have the Infiniti with RWD a better warranty, better dealer service, and on top of that, the Infiniti is lighter and faster (significantly), and handles better than the 04 Maxima.
And with about equal option appointments the two cars are priced almost identically.

So I'm curious, did you guys even consider the Infiniti first? And what led you to pay so much for the 04 Maxima. I priced an 03 SE 6 speed Maxima vs. the 04 SE 6 speed Maxima with equal appointments and the 04 was about $3,200 more! Again, that puts it all but even with the price of an Infiniti G35 sedan 6 speed.

Just curious, thanks.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by stevek
I looked at and drove both. The G35 can't be bought as a base car with the 6 spd, that would out the price close to my Maxima SE, $29K. Biggest thing though is I just don't fit in the G35, legs are too long, jammed against door controls. A coupe is much better than sedan but the way it is packaged the 6 spd is over $32K, once again if they offered the 6spd with the base car I might be swayed.
Infiniti must be bs'ing their numbers on legroom and interior space. So many of us (me included) have issues with it, but don't have problems with the max, and they claim that they are almost identical.

odd
Old 08-13-2003, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Infiniti must be bs'ing their numbers on legroom and interior space. So many of us (me included) have issues with it, but don't have problems with the max, and they claim that they are almost identical.

odd
True ... with them being made by the same company, I would assume they use the same techique.

I was told that not everyone measures the same way, so sitting in it is really the only way.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:57 AM

Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by LDLDL

Test drove both and decided that the Maxima was best for me.
RWD is not an option for the main car in my household.
IMO, the Maxima was faster, larger and as far as looks are concerned, it was love at first sight!!!
Also, with most equal option appointments, the G35 is more. Check your figures again.
Now, if I could afford another $30,000+ car, I would consider the G35 coupe as my own personal vehicle.

Go to motortrend.com and look up specs before stating max is fafter than g35. You will see that g35 is much faster. Auto g35 does 14.7 1/4 mile 6.1 0-60 as stated on edmunds.com. 6sp does 5.7 0-60 1/4 mile??
Old 08-16-2003, 03:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Maxima vs. Infiniti G35 sedan

Originally posted by cefiro a32

Go to motortrend.com and look up specs before stating max is fafter than g35. You will see that g35 is much faster. Auto g35 does 14.7 1/4 mile 6.1 0-60 as stated on edmunds.com. 6sp does 5.7 0-60 1/4 mile??

Well, I don't think he was saying the Max IS faster, he said, in HIS opinion, it FELT faster.
This probably had a lot to do with the FWD and the torque steer, which makes a car feel much more powerful and probably gave him the feeling it was accelerating faster.

And, the automatic G35 sedan has been tested with 1/4 times of 14.6's at 96-97 mph BTW.
The manual has times of 14.2 at 100 mph!

I don't doubt people know the G35 is faster.
My guess, and probably the honest to goodness reason behind that is the fact the G35 is RWD. RWD gives you better launches than FWD.
If the 02/03 Max was RWD, I'd put money on the fact they'd be faster.
The 04 Max with RWD would probably run neck and neck with the G35 sedan.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:08 PM

True, true ...

RWD better launch. FWD may have less drive train loss.

So from a roll it is likely the Max will win, or at least tie. Gearing, drag coef, and power to weight are the main issues.

The way I look at it is that the G35 gives me a good feel for how fast the max is. Driver error, lauch ... taken out. So if I race from a roll, any car that the G35 auto can beat so can I.

Also, let's not forget the 5.8 0-60 of the Altima and it's FWD. Hummm

Nissan makes them all, and has made efforts to detone all cars to be below the Z HP, it may be safe to say that removing these "restrictions" will put all the 3.5's in the same bucket (although I need to check compression ratios and stuff".
Old 08-16-2003, 09:55 PM

True, true ...

RWD better launch. FWD may have less drive train loss.

So from a roll it is likely the Max will win, or at least tie. Gearing, drag coef, and power to weight are the main issues.

The way I look at it is that the G35 gives me a good feel for how fast the max is. Driver error, lauch ... taken out. So if I race from a roll, any car that the G35 auto can beat so can I.

Also, let's not forget the 5.8 0-60 of the Altima and it's FWD. Hummm

Nissan makes them all, and has made efforts to detone all cars to be below the Z HP, it may be safe to say that removing these "restrictions" will put all the 3.5's in the same bucket (although I need to check compression ratios and stuff".
thats weird edmunds.com couldnt get times better than 6.3 with altima. Motortrend has it at 6.3 as well?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by cefiro a32

thats weird edmunds.com couldnt get times better than 6.3 with altima. Motortrend has it at 6.3 as well?
One of the mags got the 5.8, I think it was Car and Driver, it may have been Road and Track though. It is in one of the threads, probably one of the ones that got **** canned
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 PM

One of the mags got the 5.8, I think it was Car and Driver, it may have been Road and Track though. It is in one of the threads, probably one of the ones that got **** canned

Well, I've never seen 5.8 for the Altima, I have seen 5.95 seconds.
This time was for the 2003 when they "upped" the power from 240 hp to 245 hp. It ran the 1/4 in 14.46 @ 98.6 mph
The 2002, NO test of the Altima got a 0-60 faster than 6.2 seconds, and most were around 6.3 seconds.

My guess is one of two things here:

1. When they "upped" the power from 240 to 245, they really upped it to the 255 hp the 02/03 Max has.

or

2. That Altima was just a superbly running model.

I've only seen 1 test of the 02/03 Maxima SE and it ran a 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. It ran the 1/4 in 14.7 (rounded) @ 97 mph (also rounded)I think it's capable of a bit faster though.

The Altima is about 80 pounds or so lighter than the 02/03 Maxima SE, and has a bit better aerodynamics. But it also has the 5 speed manual to the Max SE's 6 speed.

So who knows, I'd personally say the 2003 Altima was upped VERY close in power to what the 02/03 Maxima puts out.
With it's slight weight advantage and slight aerodynamic advantage, it would be so close in performance, it would be a crap shoot and the better driver would ALWAYS win.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:12 AM

True, true ...

".

Well, just so you know, you are 1/2 right about beating a G35 from a roll with an 04 Max SE 6 speed.

I compared the two on the acceleration computer and the Max outaccelerates the G35 from a roll in the following areas.

30-50 mph in 5th and 6th gear

50-70 mph in 5th and 6th gear

70-90 mph in 4th, 5th and 6th gear.

At the lower speeds in the lower gears, the G35 hypothetically (based on all their technicals stats) still accelerates faster.

So, like you said, from a roll in the lower gears, the G35 will pull a bit on an 04 Max SE, but as speeds climb and you get into the higher gears, the 04 Max SE will pull ahead.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by Driver72

Well, just so you know, you are 1/2 right about beating a G35 from a roll with an 04 Max SE 6 speed.

I compared the two on the acceleration computer and the Max outaccelerates the G35 from a roll in the following areas.

70-90 mph in 4th, 5th and 6th gear.

At the lower speeds in the lower gears, the G35 hypothetically (based on all their technicals stats) still accelerates faster.

So, like you said, from a roll in the lower gears, the G35 will pull a bit on an 04 Max SE, but as speeds climb and you get into the higher gears, the 04 Max SE will pull ahead.

Those are Sunday drive conditions not a race.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

Those are Sunday drive conditions not a race.
Who would be in 5th or 6th gear between 30-50?
Old 08-17-2003, 05:26 PM

Who would be in 5th or 6th gear between 30-50?

Well, exactly!! Therefore, the G35 is still faster from a roll, if the driver wants it to be.

However, I don't know about you guys, but at 50 mph I drive in 5th gear on nearly any stick I've owned if I'm "cruising".
Old 08-18-2003, 12:00 AM

yes, I would be in 5th, unless of course I was racing which is what you were comparing, right? You weren't comparing their ability to idle in 5th, right?