6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

No automatic door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:27 PM

No automatic door locks?

I'm suprised that for how loaded this car is, the doors don't automatically lock when you are in the car.

I see a choice for auto re-lock listed under settings, but the dealer explained that as a setting for automatically re-locking the car after you have left the car (and you forgot something, got it and then the car will re-lock itself).

Is this right? Or do I have a wrong setting?

Thanks. . .. Jim C
Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 PM

You are correct, it does not lock your doors automatically. I am not sure that this is a feature that everyone wants though. I could really care either way, I know I drove a rental car a while back that didn't unlock when you pulled the handle. The auto lock was annoying. I think it was a Pontiac, but it could have been a Dodge.

The auto relock feature is if you unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the door, it will lock the doors in the time you have specified.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:52 PM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. . . .

Originally posted by gmc74
You are correct, it does not lock your doors automatically. I am not sure that this is a feature that everyone wants though. I could really care either way, I know I drove a rental car a while back that didn't unlock when you pulled the handle. The auto lock was annoying. I think it was a Pontiac, but it could have been a Dodge.

The auto relock feature is if you unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the door, it will lock the doors in the time you have specified.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: No automatic door locks?

I just had an aftermarket alarmed installed (avistart 3300) and now the doors lock automatically shortly after I start the car and unlock when I turn the car off. I did not know that was a feature of the alarm until after it was installed. It is kinda of nice once you get used to it and their is an option to turn off that feature. So if you want the self locking doors consider putting in an aftermarket alarm

y
Old 07-30-2003, 03:24 PM

Dodge/Chrysler vehicles have had this feature for 10 years now!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:40 PM

Pontiacs (and I assume other GMs) have as well.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:13 PM

Personally, I can't stand when cars take control of stuff like that, and get considerably annoyed when I happen to rent cars with these fetures.

Locks automatically locking, lights stying on or off, remeber those annoying seatbelts that deployed automatically. Leave stuff like this under the control of the driver.

At most these should be setable options. Just a big pet peeve of mine, but I am sure some people will whole heartedly disagree with me .
Old 07-30-2003, 11:21 PM

Interesting. I have a slight preference for the doors not locking automatically when I am in the car.

But it isn't important for me. My wife and I ALWAYS lock the doors when anywhere but on the freeway. For obvious reasons. When on the freeway, we ALWAYS unlock the doors, as there is no danger of unwanted intruders, and we want rescuers to be able to get us out if we are in a bad accident.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by lightonthehill
Interesting. I have a slight preference for the doors not locking automatically when I am in the car.

But it isn't important for me. My wife and I ALWAYS lock the doors when anywhere but on the freeway. For obvious reasons. When on the freeway, we ALWAYS unlock the doors, as there is no danger of unwanted intruders, and we want rescuers to be able to get us out if we are in a bad accident.
I have never seen anyone put so much thought into it.

If you are in a bad accident, the odds of you having windows is pretty slim...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Moderator GT-R

I have never seen anyone put so much thought into it.

If you are in a bad accident, the odds of you having windows is pretty slim...
Me too.

Open letter to rescuers. If I am in a bad smash-up, please feel free to use any means necessary, including the jaws of life, to cut my big **** out of there! If possible try to do enough damage to make sure it is a total loss.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:24 AM
BRB

Originally posted by bluemaxx
Me too.

Open letter to rescuers. If I am in a bad smash-up, please feel free to use any means necessary, including the jaws of life, to cut my big **** out of there! If possible try to do enough damage to make sure it is a total loss.
@ bluemaxx

I hate auto lock doors, but to each his own.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:29 PM

The self locking doors are not important to me except that now I am not reminded (or annoyed) by my wife or other occupants to lock the doors. So it takes care of one small thing.
y
Old 07-31-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
Me too.

BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 07-31-2003, 05:53 PM

Forget about the auto-locking doors----where the heck is the tire pressure monitor system? It's on the Murano and will be required by the NHTSA to be phased in on all cars very soon.

This is a very worthwhile feature to have. For example, if you encounter a road surface that makes your vehicle feel like a tire is going flat, you can instantly check the pressure and put your mind at ease. It should be standard equipment NOW on "Nissan's Flagship!"
Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 PM

I agree with that
Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by MaxMaybe
Forget abouty the auto-locking doors----where the heck is the tire pressure monitor system? It's on the Murano and will be required by the NHTSA to be phased in on all cars very soon.

This is a very worthwhile feature to have. For example, if you encounter a road surface that makes your vehicle feel like a tire is going flat, you can instantly check the pressure and put your mind at ease. It should be standard equipment NOW on "Nissan's Flagship!"
If they put everything on at once We would have no reason to upgrade in a couple of years. Maybe the 25th aniversary edition will have locks and tire psi monitor. ?2006?
Old 07-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: No automatic door locks?

Originally posted by jimc068
I'm suprised that for how loaded this car is, the doors don't automatically lock when you are in the car.

I see a choice for auto re-lock listed under settings, but the dealer explained that as a setting for automatically re-locking the car after you have left the car (and you forgot something, got it and then the car will re-lock itself).

Is this right? Or do I have a wrong setting?

Thanks. . .. Jim C
Boy, people are different - I HATE that ****!! If I wanted the doors locked, I'll lock them myself. Makes me crazy when driving rental cars that do this...
Old 08-01-2003, 04:03 PM

I rememeber I few years back when I was in college in Buffalo, NY there was a huge blizzard that dumped about 4 feet of snow. My car was burried under it. I friend of mine came over and we wanted to get some food. He didn't feel like driving so I said I'd go out and get the food with his car, a '92 or '93 Pontiac Grand Am.
Anyway it was still snowing so I turned on the car and put on the heat. I got out of the door, closed the door and brushed off the snow. When I went to get back into the car that damn thing had locked by itself. It turns out GM cars back then had locks the automatically locked themselves as soon as you close the door! He wasn't mad since it happend to him a million times.
That was a really bad design and to this day I hate automtic locking doors. I think GM has since done away with feature and the doors now only lock automatically once you get moving but I feel that this is a feature that serves little purpose.