6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

So Much for the Competition......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:22 PM

So Much for the Competition......

Saw this review of the new Pontiac Grand Prix today in the NY Times. Looks like '04 Maxima owners don't have much to worry about from this puppy....

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004/pontiac/grandprix/100252307/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=100431:

Remember the line from one of the first '04 Maxima ads :"Nothing has changed: Everything has changed"?

With GM, the line seems to be "The outside is changed: The defects/shortcomings have not been changed- nor will they ever be"
Old 08-05-2003, 04:31 PM

yeah, I don't know why GM hasn't realized that they would be better served with a nicer engine in that car, rather than a supercharger on a dog.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gmc74
yeah, I don't know why GM hasn't realized that they would be better served with a nicer engine in that car, rather than a supercharger on a dog.
Supercharged boat anchor!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:19 AM

Kinda makes you wonder why people actually buy such cars...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Because they are sheep who can't see that cars are made outside of North America. I drove an 04 Grand Prix GT, priced around the same as my 04 Max SE. It was a piece of junk. It depreciates so fast that compared to the Max I'd be paying another $60/mo for it. Less car, and higher payments? No thank you.

CM.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
It depreciates so fast that compared to the Max I'd be paying another $60/mo for it.
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. Sheesh.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
Because they are sheep who can't see that cars are made outside of North America. I drove an 04 Grand Prix GT, priced around the same as my 04 Max SE. It was a piece of junk. It depreciates so fast that compared to the Max I'd be paying another $60/mo for it. Less car, and higher payments? No thank you.

CM.
I can't help but laugh... there has only been one guy that gave it a favorable review (in comparison to other cars) and it was the guy from Toronto that was wined and dined by GM. He compared it to an 04 Max SL in a performance test, and claimed that it was better. This is the same guy that independently claimed the car was junk when he test drove it in Arizona, now thinks it is great as he tests it at GMs testing grounds.

That guy is a joke
Old 08-06-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: So Much for the Competition......

Originally posted by 2k1GrayMaxSE
Saw this review of the new Pontiac Grand Prix today in the NY Times. Looks like '04 Maxima owners don't have much to worry about from this puppy....

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004/pontiac/grandprix/100252307/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=100431:

Remember the line from one of the first '04 Maxima ads :"Nothing has changed: Everything has changed"?

With GM, the line seems to be "The outside is changed: The defects/shortcomings have not been changed- nor will they ever be"
Yea that is funny, the new GP sucks, as usual. I'm sure the new GTO will have its usual GM shortcomings, but I'm still interested in that ride....
Old 08-06-2003, 01:52 PM

I guess I shouldn't be saying such things, being that I grew up in Detroit and many of my friends' parents are employed by automakers, but sheesh. Well it's not like Detroit is Shangri-La anyway I guess :-D
Old 08-06-2003, 01:57 PM

The Grand Prix previously wasn't a bad car and I am sure this one won't be either. THough the interior, IMO, is no step above the previous model. Though I find the 6th gen Max interior is no better than the 5th gen.

GM LOVES these bland gray interiors. Yuck.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 AM

The Grand Prix previously wasn't a bad car
I had a '97 GP SE. Every problem I read about on different GP sites, I had. Shocks went bad at around 30K, a drippy oil pan that the dealer wanted $1,600 to fix, a recall because the car would stop turning left, the dash lights would blink on and off, squeaky rear sway bar, replaced the water pump, replaced the power steering pump and I had a leak that would fill the passenger floorboard with water every time it rained. The POS got traded in on my new '04 Max.

-Robert
Old 08-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Coming out of a 99 Pontiac GTP I have to state my piece. I agree that the build quality of it lacked alot, ie..cheap materials and breakage of parts. But, I have to disagree with the negative comments about the engine. That was probably the only redeeming quality of the car. For about $500 you can put yourself well into the 13's, with an air filter, exhaust, and smaller supercharger pulley. For about $1200 you can be very close to 12's. Plus the bottom end of that 3.8 block is bulletproof. Except for the pistons that stock bottom end is good for close to 500 hp. Now don't get me wrong i'm not putting down the Maxima in any way, i'm just stating some facts in defense of a car I've had experience with.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by 2K4EliteSE
Coming out of a 99 Pontiac GTP I have to state my piece. I agree that the build quality of it lacked alot, ie..cheap materials and breakage of parts. But, I have to disagree with the negative comments about the engine. That was probably the only redeeming quality of the car. For about $500 you can put yourself well into the 13's, with an air filter, exhaust, and smaller supercharger pulley. For about $1200 you can be very close to 12's. Plus the bottom end of that 3.8 block is bulletproof. Except for the pistons that stock bottom end is good for close to 500 hp. Now don't get me wrong i'm not putting down the Maxima in any way, i'm just stating some facts in defense of a car I've had experience with.

Very well said. I agree that the potential of that engine is almost unmatched in terms of moddability using little financial resources.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by 2K4EliteSE
I just think it is sad that they need a supercharger to compete with cars in its class that have smaller engines.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

They keep using the old 3.8 liter because it's cheap to build now. But that motor has been around forever and is pretty well developed. Sooner or later GM will have to use something else.

Rumor has it that the new Vette will use a V8 version of the the Caddy concept V12. Dry sump lubrication for one. I bet some of this will trickle down to the V6s in a few years.