6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

true dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 PM

true dual exhaust?

can someone please tell me if the max is a true dual exhaust. i think it isnt. i was under the car and it goes from one pipe then splits into two where the mufflers are. doesnt a true dual exhaust use an H-pipe. one pipe for each bank of cylinders and meets in the middle to equalize pressure or something to that extent.i could be way off...
Old 08-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes you are correct. Usually there is a connector like an H or X to equalize the pressure between banks of cylinders on each side of the system.

CM.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
Yes you are correct. Usually there is a connector like an H or X to equalize the pressure between banks of cylinders on each side of the system.

CM.
o.k, couldnt any good muffler shop do this mod and would it affect performance?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I assume a good muffler shop could do it. The only way to see how it affects performance would be to try it out.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by maxmale

o.k, couldnt any good muffler shop do this mod and would it affect performance?
You already have this. Everything runs througe a single pipe from the Y pipe to the muffler split.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:42 PM

I think he is talking about having a shop give him true dual exhaust, which would be tough because of the limited space to run the pipes under the car.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by gmc74
I think he is talking about having a shop give him true dual exhaust, which would be tough because of the limited space to run the pipes under the car.
I was going to say the same. Camaro's cannot have "true" duals because there is no where to run a 2nd pipe.

Solution: Run a bigger single pipe

I think that running true dual's with an x or h-pipe wouldn't really help any until we start putting some boost on these car's.

I also have a funny feeling that something, somewhere is choking these cars. I'm not sure if it's not enough air, or if it's not enough exhaust getting out. They grab hard when leaving from a dead stop but if your rolling along about 30-40, (for people with autos) put it in slapshift mode, let it start slowing down and gas it. Mine is extremely sluggish for maybe half a second. Once again, I haven't owned a V6 before so it might just a lack of cubic inches causing this I feel that something can be changed to at least help this
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by QuikSilver04

I was going to say the same. Camaro's cannot have "true" duals because there is no where to run a 2nd pipe.

I think that running true dual's with an x or h-pipe wouldn't really help any until we start putting some boost on these car's.

I also have a funny feeling that something, somewhere is choking these cars. I'm not sure if it's not enough air, or if it's not enough exhaust getting out. They grab hard when leaving from a dead stop but if your rolling along about 30-40, (for people with autos) put it in slapshift mode, let it start slowing down and gas it. Mine is extremely sluggish for maybe half a second. Once again, I haven't owned a V6 before so it might just a lack of cubic inches causing this I feel that something can be changed to at least help this
can you tell a difference with the udp installed
Old 08-11-2003, 09:00 AM

udp??? Not sure what that is...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:24 AM

They grab hard when leaving from a dead stop but if your rolling along about 30-40, (for people with autos) put it in slapshift mode, let it start slowing down and gas it. Mine is extremely sluggish for maybe half a second. Once again, I haven't owned a V6 before so it might just a lack of cubic inches causing this I feel that something can be changed to at least help this
I feel that as well, not sure what it is.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Using basic assumptions, I think that's it more a problem of getting air in than out. When the throttle is fully shut (letting the car slow down) then opening it all the way, the hesitation is probably because there is a split second where it's starving for air, then it gets a sudden burst and VROOM. If you put it in slapshift (2nd at about 30-40) and just idle along with just a wee bit of gas, then open the throttle more slowly, it will not lag as before. As I said earlier, might just be basic lack of cubic inches, but it still feels like SOMETHING can be changed to at least help a little. R&D, time, and experience will tell...
Old 08-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Agreed, that seemed to go away with the K&N drop in.

I think we will have boost in about 8 months.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:14 PM

I have a 6 speed and sometimes when i slow down then get on it in gear it will kinda hesitate. I assume all that is is throttle response. once the car starts breathing better this should go away, so if this was removed with the K&n filter then I would think that filter really does flow a lot better.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:47 PM

i have a six as well and i removed the front part of the intake with the slot and it is restricting i noticed a gain as well as a nice little growl.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 AM

udp??? Not sure what that is...
underdrive pulley = udp
Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Note: True duals would be next to impossible as you can't get the exahust pipes equal length without putting in a jungle gym amount of pipes. Clearance would also suffer.

So if you can't get the pipes to match up in length, you aren't going to get any benefits of the dual exhaust system. As one large pipe has more area than two smaller ones.