6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Accelaration lag

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:29 PM

Accelaration lag

Has anyone else expirienced kinda of a lag or delay when wanting to suddently accelerate (auto trans..). It's happened to me a few times now, and I'm wondering if this is normal or should I get it checked out by the "stealer" Thanks! RC
Old 09-08-2003, 06:05 AM

Yes, I've noticed it as well. I think what's happening is the car is downshifting at the same time you're wanting to accelerate and so the hesitation occurs. The hesitation only occurs after slowing down and trying to accelerate so I'm assuming this is where the problem is coming from. It's really quit annoying and I wish there was a fix.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:57 AM

guys its an auto, its gonna have some sort of delay... the only cure sad to say is we should have got the 6spd lol
Old 09-08-2003, 11:40 AM

What kind of delay are talking about? Just cruising along in D and flooring it? There is a lag when it downshifts into another gear. Or are you talking about if you have it in SportTronic mode and are idling along and then gas it?

I happened to notice this the other day, put it in SportTronic on a road with noone on it, turn the music down, put it in 2nd gear, speed up to about 20mph then let off the gas completely, then apply a little gas. You'll notice that when you touch the gas pedal, it doesn't immediately respond, you can feel when the throttle body opens, almost .5 seconds later. I came up beside one of my friends yesterday in his 2001 Z-71, which he thinks is the fastest truck around and I put it in 2nd rolling along about 35-40mph and I had let off the gas because we were talking to each other, so when he said "I bet you can't outrun me" and floored it so did I. He jumped me pretty damn hard because of that 1/2 second lag, but I quickly retook him after I got into 3rd. Damn new-fangled electronic throttle bodies...
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM

It's like Quick and the rest of you discribed it... I didn't know that it happend in shift mode also. I have other automatics that don't do this. It's like you have to factor in an extra half a second or so when you want to "get up and go" not good if you're in an "OH ****" situation. I must say when it goes... it goes... I wonder if it being electronic acceleration may be a factor? And if so, is there an adjustment. RC
Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gokusan
It's like Quick and the rest of you discribed it... I didn't know that it happend in shift mode also. I have other automatics that don't do this. It's like you have to factor in an extra half a second or so when you want to "get up and go" not good if you're in an "OH ****" situation. I must say when it goes... it goes... I wonder if it being electronic acceleration may be a factor? And if so, is there an adjustment. RC
Yup, I was thinking the same. It seems to me like another "idiot" proof part of the car. I just got the K&N cone filter installed last night and it helped a little bit with the problem. I'm hoping the UDP and an ECU flash will help out. Maybe we'll find out how to make it more respond immediately...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuikSilver04
Yup, I was thinking the same. It seems to me like another "idiot" proof part of the car. I just got the K&N cone filter installed last night and it helped a little bit with the problem. I'm hoping the UDP and an ECU flash will help out. Maybe we'll find out how to make it more respond immediately...
Keep an eye on this issue guys. There is a known issue with the VQ35 in both the Altima and the 5th gen Maxima regarding the hesitation. It may or may not have been fixed in time for the start of the Maxima production. If you start seeing 6 spd people complain about the hesitation, I'd say it's time to investigate further. There is a TSB out for the 2k2-2k3 Maxima and the 2k2 and 2k3 V6 Altima. Do a search on "hesitation" in the 5th gen forums (search isn't working for me now otherwise I'd provide the linK).

It's prolly just the automatic transmission kickdown delay, but as I said, keep an eye on it..
Old 09-09-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aquineas
Keep an eye on this issue guys. There is a known issue with the VQ35 in both the Altima and the 5th gen Maxima regarding the hesitation. It may or may not have been fixed in time for the start of the Maxima production. If you start seeing 6 spd people complain about the hesitation, I'd say it's time to investigate further. There is a TSB out for the 2k2-2k3 Maxima and the 2k2 and 2k3 V6 Altima. Do a search on "hesitation" in the 5th gen forums (search isn't working for me now otherwise I'd provide the linK).

It's prolly just the automatic transmission kickdown delay, but as I said, keep an eye on it..
My 6th gen has a slight hesitation but I just think its because it cant breath. An aftermarket intake should help some though...
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM

My 6th gen has a slight hesitation but I just think its because it cant breath. An aftermarket intake should help some though...
Old 09-09-2003, 06:21 PM

The TSB you are referring to also applies to 5 speeds. This TSB only addresses a hestiation that may be felt at 2500 rpm.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by jvitale
The TSB you are referring to also applies to 5 speeds. This TSB only addresses a hestiation that may be felt at 2500 rpm.
Hmm thats odd, Sometimes I feel that hesitation also. Or at least I think i do. My prelude hesitated around that same RPM and the funny thing is almost everyone had the problem and nobody knew the cure for it. Hopefully its an easy fix in the max, if it is a common problem.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 AM

I remembered to last night to try and see if the lag was still as bad after this filter so I put it in SportTronic, slowed down until it went into 2nd, and let it slow down a little more, then gave it full throttle. It still takes almost a half a second for the TB to open, but now when it does, it lays you back in the seat immediately, instead of just pulling steadily. I really think it's the electronics that deal with the TB. It seems like the TB doesn't respond immediately to the gas pedal whenever your not on the gas. It's hard to put into words, easier just to experience in person.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:28 AM

I remembered to last night to try and see if the lag was still as bad after this filter so I put it in SportTronic, slowed down until it went into 2nd, and let it slow down a little more, then gave it full throttle. It still takes almost a half a second for the TB to open, but now when it does, it lays you back in the seat immediately, instead of just pulling steadily. I really think it's the electronics that deal with the TB. It seems like the TB doesn't respond immediately to the gas pedal whenever your not on the gas. It's hard to put into words, easier just to experience in person.
Well, I don't really need a detailed description. When you mentioned the .5 second lag, I knew exactly what you were referring to. The exact same thing was happening on the 5th gen Max and 3rd gen Alti..
Old 09-10-2003, 06:49 AM

Has there been anything to correct the problem? Do they know what's causing it on them? Is it the TB itself?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:16 AM

Has there been anything to correct the problem? Do they know what's causing it on them? Is it the TB itself?
There was a TSB which included an ECU program for both cars and a new MAF for the 5th gen Max:

NTB-022
NTB-023
Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 PM
10e

Hmmm

Guys,

That throttle body servo (I'm assuming it's similar to the one in my Alty) is FAST.

There is no delay in it opening. I've watched it open and it moves like lightning. There should in no way be a delay. Check out if any of the 6-speed guys feel it or not, and then you will know. If it only happens under certain circumstances, it's not the servo, I can tell you that for sure. That was the irritation that was involved in the hesitation from before. It wasn't consistent. It could happen three times in a row, and then not for a while. I know. I had it, and the upgrade mentioned (in Aquineas' PDFs) fixed it.

The hesitation that plagued the Altys and Maxs was in no way normal.

Good luck.

10e
Old 09-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Banned

Just for your information, I had the TSB performed on my 2003 auto and it helped out tremendously. It is a new program for the ECM. They flash the ECM and load the new program. Much quicker shifts and less time thinking about which gear to go to.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There was a lag in my 2001 330i 5spd manual as well

There was a lag in my 2001 330 5spd manual as well.

It really sucked on hills as the friction point on the clutch was very high.

Aftermarket ECM flash fixed this issue.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 PM

I think my max might have this problem but I am not sure. Guess we will just wait and see how things go.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:44 PM

Drive SL with 4 spd auto. No hesitation at all, ever, with 7500 miles. I did install a K & N drop-in, but that was only a few thousand miles ago. I used to have an 02 6 speed and it had the hesitation, they did the TSB work, and it still had it. I just lived with it; it really wasn't a problem for me. This 04 is perfect. I don't drive it often, but did drive it today. I love, absolutely love, that car.

srm
Old 09-16-2003, 09:09 PM

always happen that the automagic downshifting....
that what the stealer told me....
Old 09-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I installed a K & N air filter in my 04, and for about a week you could tell it was a little more responsive, quicker and could breathe easier, now it drives like the old filter is back in it. Does the "computer" change anything?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanomag37
I installed a K & N air filter in my 04, and for about a week you could tell it was a little more responsive, quicker and could breathe easier, now it drives like the old filter is back in it. Does the "computer" change anything?
The placebo effect wore off.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxPilot
The placebo effect wore off.
lol! A.K.A the Butt Dyno lol!