General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Don's VB Mod is a must for all!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:06 PM

Don's VB Mod is a must for all!!!!!!

this has gotta be the best mod for the $$$--quick, firm shifts that have NO lag whatsoever--send Don your VB NOW--this is gonna take a second or two to explain but...
i don't know why luxury cars' trannies shift so slowly--is it to make it a smoother ride? if it is it doesn't work and here's why: the time you have to wait while the tranny is shifting (the lag)causes an uncomfortable moment as you wait for it to be in the next gear (and while you're in that gear you wait for the next uncomfortable lag to come), with the vb mod those uncomfortable moments have been taken away completly so you can just enjoy the ride while also making your transmission last longer--i think a tranny that has the vb mod is much more luxurious (and sporty)--Don really knows his **** so i strongly suggest you shoot him an email and get this mod done--damn i wanna go to the track right now
Old 02-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i didnt know he did them for 2k2 maximas.....if so, you must be running high 13's now???
Old 02-05-2002, 01:13 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

If you are this crazy about speed you shoulda gotten a 6spd Cobra-R

Don does do quality work. But I have heard many complaints from people who have been waiting over half a year for their VB upgrades.

Anyways, if I wasn't gonna do a 5spd conversion here real soon, I would probubly get a trans-go.

But I am glad you like your new toy, but can I ask why you didn't get a 6spd Max to start ?

Finally, I would like to say to anyone who is auto and doesn't have the connections to do a tranny swap, get yourself a VB upgrade.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34
i didnt know he did them for 2k2 maximas.....if so, you must be running high 13's now???
Old 02-05-2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34
yeah, eric and i were the first 2k2s this past weekend--i don't know about 13s for me, i may be in low low 14s though i just have to work on my launch, but it is very possible with eric as his intake is helping a lot more now that it can work during the former lag--eric may be going to the track friday so we'll see
Old 02-05-2002, 01:28 PM

you gotta be joking about the cobra, right, i'm not crazy about speed i'm crazy about lux + speed + performance + reliability + style + ergonomics + a million other things i love about the max; i could never see myself in a Cobra, it's just not me--i simply prefer an auto, i'm on the phone a lot and eat very often and more than anything i sit in traffic a lot longer than i drive (it took me nearly 2 hours to get to dons)--and yes 13s are possible, not definite but possible, in an auto with a good driver, a Stillen intake and the VB mod; eric got 14.6 without the vb mod, and with more practice at launches i'm sure he could've gotten 14.3s or 14.4s with his heavy a$$ over 100 lb. box and amps in the trunk
Old 02-05-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
you gotta be joking about the cobra, right, i'm not crazy about speed i'm crazy about lux + speed + performance + reliability + style + ergonomics + a million other things i love about the max; i could never see myself in a Cobra, it's just not me--i simply prefer an auto, i'm on the phone a lot and eat very often and more than anything i sit in traffic a lot longer than i drive (it took me nearly 2 hours to get to dons)--and yes 13s are possible, not definite but possible, in an auto with a good driver, a Stillen intake and the VB mod; eric got 14.6 without the vb mod, and with more practice at launches i'm sure he could've gotten 14.3s or 14.4s with his heavy a$$ over 100 lb. box and amps in the trunk
i dont doubt it either. people on here were running 14.2 with them stock and a 6 speed. So you figure you do some exhaust work, intake, and vb mod you could be looking at around dropping in there or at least getting very close to it. Not to mention if people come out with other power mods for you guys.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by SuDZ

i dont doubt it either. people on here were running 14.2 with them stock and a 6 speed
SuDZ
And 14.3 in an auto with a cone filter and custom cat back.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:58 PM

The VB is a great mod isnt it? I've been enjoying mine for almost a year & a half.

Wow, so now Don makes 2k2 VB's huh?

The odds of the addition of a VB knocking him into the 13's is non-realistic. I have over 75 passes down the 1/4 mile with my VB and i have yet to even see a improvement on my time from the VB mod. I dont think you will see drop in time from a VB mod until you start pushing some serious power.

Steve ran back to back 14.3's @ Island. There is still a little room for improvement. A 14.3 in an Auto w/ intake & catback is a great time. That was as fast as me on a 50 shot.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:39 PM

would you expect gains close to don's by going with the trans go kit from aamco? would the trans go help out the tranny as well??
Old 02-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by Synki
The VB is a great mod isnt it? I've been enjoying mine for almost a year & a half.

Wow, so now Don makes 2k2 VB's huh?

The odds of the addition of a VB knocking him into the 13's is non-realistic. I have over 75 passes down the 1/4 mile with my VB and i have yet to even see a improvement on my time from the VB mod. I dont think you will see drop in time from a VB mod until you start pushing some serious power.

Steve ran back to back 14.3's @ Island. There is still a little room for improvement. A 14.3 in an Auto w/ intake & catback is a great time. That was as fast as me on a 50 shot.
if dons vb mod doesn't shorten your 1/4, but it shortens shifts, isnt someting wrong? im not too familiar with the whole thing he does, but if it doesnt make you quicker, arent you just paying for a longer tranny life and shorter shifts that dont do anything? i really wanna get the mod, but only if i can see physical improvements. i know other people have had improved times with the mod, but why dont other people? i dont get it. can somebody explain the conflict?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:35 PM
RussMaxManiac

Blame the people who are making the others wait. It's not Don's fault he has to wait for the VB to come back in to send another one out.

Originally posted by Craig Mack
If you are this crazy about speed you shoulda gotten a 6spd Cobra-R

Don does do quality work. But I have heard many complaints from people who have been waiting over half a year for their VB upgrades.

Anyways, if I wasn't gonna do a 5spd conversion here real soon, I would probubly get a trans-go.

But I am glad you like your new toy, but can I ask why you didn't get a 6spd Max to start ?

Finally, I would like to say to anyone who is auto and doesn't have the connections to do a tranny swap, get yourself a VB upgrade.

Old 02-05-2002, 06:41 PM

going on what i've heard from people on this forum, not from personal experience, the vb mod helps more the further from stock you are, the shifts ARE shorter so I don't see how it doesn't help times, but i've heard both ways, strange, i'll only know about my car if i can get to the track this weekend--even if i wasn't concerned about performance and track times i would get it done, i don't kow how else to describe it other than saying it really makes the car seem more sure about itself, kinda like it has a higher self esteem
i realy do wish someone with the expertise would explain the whole time thingy though
Old 02-05-2002, 06:57 PM

Its pretty simple.

The OEM shifts take time to shift in between gears.

The VB upgrade eliminates the time to shift in between gears.

If you aren't seeing a diference, you have existing tranny issues, don't know your car or don't have consistent running conditions.

Its that simple. Slow shift is gone, no more lag in between shifts. Lag = time.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Its pretty simple.

If you aren't seeing a diference, you have existing tranny issues, don't know your car or don't have consistent running conditions.

thanks Don!

I'm assuming the VB for the 2k2 is different than the 2k/2k1?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Its pretty simple.

Don, I still noticed from time to time, the lag is still there. I'm talking about downshifting lag, I have no problem with upshifts. Remember you said there was some rust on the VB I sent back to you? I checked my ATF and there was no metal shaving or discoloration. Could there still be something wrong with the tranny? I haven't got it checked out yet. I did plan to get Level Ten rebuild, but not sure would that solve anything.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:21 AM
BlkCat

I've adjusted by Blitz BOV by turning the threaded bolt down until about a 1/4" is exposed above the locking nut. After driving around for a while I've noticed that I've lost that annoying lag. This was the lag where I stomp the pedal and the Max takes a few seconds to figure out what to do. I may have been venting too early to build boost when its demanded.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:50 PM

Im getting this mod done very soon so I hope it works well for me! Take Care
Old 02-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator

how is this a mod for "ALL"?
Old 02-12-2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
how is this a mod for "ALL"?
yea, darren here has a 5spd, and others like myself convert to 5spd
Old 02-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

ALL...AUTOMAGIC KIND.
well then just f#ck the 8% of us.. because we are too insignificant to be seen
Old 02-13-2002, 09:52 AM

I like my VB.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I like mine too, but mine can break your neck in 1-2 shift if you aren't careful.
Mine won't break your neck..yet, maybe a good cramp though.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:42 PM

I really like my VB too. However, there's still some lag sometimes, maybe the automagic is like that, even the VB can't help. I would say about 70% of the times, it's great. It's just that 30% of the time, it would **** me off. Maybe it's just my tranny. I'm not sure.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:48 PM
is invisible

Uh-oh, I just might buy a GLE.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I really like my VB too. However, there's still some lag sometimes, maybe the automagic is like that, even the VB can't help. I would say about 70% of the times, it's great. It's just that 30% of the time, it would **** me off. Maybe it's just my tranny. I'm not sure.
Isn't the shift "command" computerized (i.e. ECU)? Is the delay part of the processing time?