6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

snow tires for 04 SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 06:35 AM

snow tires for 04 SE

I have heard that the factory tires on the SE totally blow in snow. I have also heard it is difficult to get snow tires for this car. What are other people doing?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-04-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jimc068
I have heard that the factory tires on the SE totally blow in snow. I have also heard it is difficult to get snow tires for this car. What are other people doing?

Thanks,

Jim
The Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons are pretty good, both snow and performance. Actually a Z rated snow tire. I had the dealer put them on my car to alleviate the shimmy/vibe. It didn't fix that but they are better than the Goodyear's. Very good reviews for performance snow/all seasons.

Smitty
Old 10-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Thanks,

Jim
Which model come stock on the 2004 SE? Do you have the 17" or 18" ?
Old 10-05-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Which model come stock on the 2004 SE? Do you have the 17" or 18" ?
I have the 18 inch

JC
Old 10-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I have the 18 inch

JC

Are the stock tires Goodyears?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Are the stock tires Goodyears?
Yes, I have the Goodyears. . .
Old 10-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Yes, I have the Goodyears. . .
I would think that the Goodyears would be fairly good for the first winter. I'm assuming you don't have too much wear on them so far, so would maybe give thought to replacing them for next winter and see how these do this year. Just trying to save you some $$$
Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 AM

winter tires

my 04 max as 18" rims n tires.
As for winter I just went to the Nissan dealer and they made tests on adapting 17" metal rims with winter tires on, and they sell the package now (reg. metal rim + TOYO tires) . The width of tire will go from 245 to 225 which will help reduce tire contact with road.
I ll get them put on during November and will post thread as a result.

last, I did end up debadging the car, taking the Maxima and 3.5 SE on tunk, I left Nissan sign, it looks great now ! Taking the letters was very easy.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by elaugier
my 04 max as 18" rims n tires.
As for winter I just went to the Nissan dealer and they made tests on adapting 17" metal rims with winter tires on, and they sell the package now (reg. metal rim + TOYO tires) . The width of tire will go from 245 to 225 which will help reduce tire contact with road.
I ll get them put on during November and will post thread as a result.

last, I did end up debadging the car, taking the Maxima and 3.5 SE on tunk, I left Nissan sign, it looks great now ! Taking the letters was very easy.

Can you give us any more details about this? I can't find anyone that supplies steel rims in 17" for the Max. Where are they sourceing the rims?

CM.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Can you give us any more details about this? I can't find anyone that supplies steel rims in 17" for the Max. Where are they sourceing the rims?

CM.
I ll try to let you know where they source their rims. If you phone your dealer now, he probably could inform you too.
bye
Old 10-06-2003, 07:31 PM

I ll try to let you know where they source their rims. If you phone your dealer now, he probably could inform you too.
bye
I was at a dealer last week. They looked it up on their parts listing for the 04's and were unable to find anything that fits.

CM.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:00 PM

Can you give me the dealership name and phone number and I can contact them myself?

CM.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:37 PM

dealer

Can you give me the dealership name and phone number and I can contact them myself?

CM.

Sure !
Spinelli Nissan
Pointe Claire (PQ)
(514) 697 9141

Remember they re gonna sel u 17" rims and not 18" as yours now.
I got a package at 1199$ ca. Rims, Toyo tires with 225 and plastic caps.
goodluck
Old 10-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Sure !
Spinelli Nissan
Pointe Claire (PQ)
(514) 697 9141

Remember they re gonna sel u 17" rims and not 18" as yours now.
I got a package at 1199$ ca. Rims, Toyo tires with 225 and plastic caps.
goodluck
Yeah the 17's in 225/55/17 are going to be superior tires for snow.

Merci for the phone number.

Cm.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:45 PM

Well I contacted the dealership, and indeed they are selling that package. They wouldn't tell me where they are sourcing the rims. Bastids! But for those in Que. its a good deal.

My dealership (in Timmins) has found a source for the rims now. They offered me the same price $1199+tax for a similar package as the Que. dealer, only with Blizzak WS-50 tires instead of Toyo's. The customer feedback on the Blizzaks tires is not great. They are really good for snow traction, but have low treadlife and poor noice, comfort, and poor performance ratings. I've opted to switch them instead for a set of Goodyear Ultragrip GW3. I'm cheap and I like the look of a plain black steel rim for the winter so we dropped them out of the package.

My cost for 17" rims, tires, balanced and installed is $1308+tax. The only breakdown on the price is the tires at around $247 each (which is $2 cheaper than the internet price I got at 1010tires.com). My best guess is that leaves the rims at about $70 each, and $10 per rim&tire for balance and install. All pretty fair when you look at the overall package.

Just thought everyone would appreciate the info. We got a dump of snow and ice yesterday. And I can tell you it wasn't fun driving around in that with the stock 18's. The ABS kicked in pretty quickly near every stop sign.

CM.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:03 AM

Anyone tried tirerack.com ?I know their prices are quite decent...Very good web site ,and I used their services twice,and both times was good...
Old 11-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is a Canadian site that I purchased a Winter Tire package from.
They should be delivered next week.

http://www.tiretrends.com/SnowPackages.php3
Old 11-07-2003, 09:23 AM

I bought a 04 Cavalier for driving in the crap...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
I bought a 04 Cavalier for driving in the crap...
Sucks to be you then doesn't it! I'll be enjoying my heated steering wheel all winter long.

CM.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BIGGUY
Here is a Canadian site that I purchased a Winter Tire package from.
They should be delivered next week.

http://www.tiretrends.com/SnowPackages.php3

Nice. I saw that the other day too. I figured that the shipping would add on an extra $100-150 and make it a bit to pricey for me. I'm not sure about those tires either. I know they make some good stuff. I just prefer a more main stream tire.

What did the shipping cost you for that?

CM.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice. I saw that the other day too. I figured that the shipping would add on an extra $100-150 and make it a bit to pricey for me. I'm not sure about those tires either. I know they make some good stuff. I just prefer a more main stream tire.

What did the shipping cost you for that?

CM.
Shipping was $79.00. Also no PST tax only GST Tax.
One more thing. You could probable get about $100.00 off the price that is posted.
Yes , I am also concerned about trying a newly developed tire but I guess I did the samething when you think about it, with the purchase of this car. An so far no regrets.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:26 PM

One more thing. You could probable get about $100.00 off the price that is posted.
Yes , I am also concerned about trying a newly developed tire but I guess I did the samething when you think about it, with the purchase of this car. An so far no regrets.
Wow...$79 is a great deal. Plus the no PST would pretty much cover the shipping costs.

The Hankook tires look like they are well designed. Plenty of sipes and a tread pattern much like the Yokohama AV901 (or whatever their performance snow tyre is called). I'd guess that they would be a pretty darn nice tire.

All in all that package is a good buy. If they offered a steel rim it would be even better. Not that there is anything wrong with buying alloys, but its a bit of a waste for winter use. I prefer the "mean" look of my black cop wheels. But I'm a freak that way.

You'll have to let us know what you think about those tires once you get a chance to plow through some drifts and ice with them.

CM.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Winter Tires

Thanks,

Jim

I highly recommend the Nokian WR tire as a very good winter / all season tire. I travelled every weekend last winter (15 weeks) from Toronto to Blue Mountain for skiing and I never had a problem. Excellent grip and very stable. Gave me a lot of confidence in some very poor conditions.

If in Toronto, buy at:

Steelcase Tires & Mags
187 Steelcase Road West
Units 1 & 2
Markham, Ontario L7B 1J5
Phone: 416-492-9992
Old 11-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tiretrend Hancook

Hey Big Guy, how did this work out for you? Did you get your tires? Are you pleased with the Tire Trend service? How have you found the tires and rims so far?
Old 11-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The service from Tire Trend was exceptional. Very friendly and not in a rush to get off the phone.
It took 6 days to have the tires shipped to Ontario from Vancouver for only $79.
On dry pavement they are just as quite as the stock Goodyear's, and the grip is the same. They do ride a little softer as there is more rubber between the rim and the road.... 255/55/17.
On wet pavement they disperse the water excellent with absolutely no hydroplaning. The Goodyear's I found to be very poor on wet roads and hitting casual water at highway speeds with the Goodyear's made the steering interesting.
This morning as you are well aware we had very ice roads, and I purposely took the car out for the ice road test. On a scale of 1 - 5, I would rate them being a 4.
Lots of traction starting, stopping and going around corners a little faster then one should. ( This was for test purposes only )
The only thing left is to see how they handle in snow. This Hankook tire is not a aggressive tread, so I don't expect them to perform the same as aggressive treaded snow tires would. I mostly wanted them for icy roads and slush.
As far as the rims go I actually like them better then the stock rims because they have some interesting lines to them.
My recommendation for southern Ontario type weather is this is an excellent buy.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tire Trend

They do sound perfect for Southern Ontario. I went ahead and placed an order with Tire Trend.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=ramcon]They do sound perfect for Southern Ontario. I went ahead and placed an order with Tire Trend.

When you do get your mounted and balanced tires on the rims, they will come with 4 plastic HUB Centering rings and another full set of lug nuts.
You must use the centering rings, but the lug nuts I didn't use. I stayed with the original lug nuts.
The guy I talked to Bob, when I bought them, he said to pound them onto the center part of the rim, but I didn't.
I put the flat part of this ring right against the HUB of the car, and when I pushed the rim onto the HUB everything went together with no problem.
Tightening the lug nuts also ensures that the ring is centered.
The reason I am telling you this is because had never seen a HUB centering ring before, and ones I got them it was easy to figure it out.
Good luck with your purchase when it arrives.