6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

This dealer survey thing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:25 AM

This dealer survey thing

It seems like Nissan has their dealers terrorized over this satisfaction survey thing. My dealer told me anything other than "Completely Satisfied" is considered a failing grade, and it is obvious they are really concerned about it. You get the feeling that if you say anything even slightly critical the salesperson will be dragged out and tortured and beaten or something.

The trouble with this is that Nissan isn't really getting the honest, constructive commentary they should be wanting. I mean, after awhile the surveys become meaningless unless someone really has a horrendous dealer experience and rips 'em a new one. Otherwise, all the surveys come in saying "Completely Satisfied" and Nissan is just kidding itself.

I ran the QA operation at my company for several years, and I've gotta tell you - honest feedback is what you need ... not sugar-coated results brought about by dealers begging for a good score.

I mean, I'm glad corporate is checking on the guys in the trenches, but don't you agree the surveys should be a little more ... er, honest?

Mike
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM

I see no reason not to make it honest. Don't be afraid to tell the truth. The dealer wants you to mark it 100 percent satisfied and will tell you lies about how this reflects only on the poor sales-person. I don't think this is true.

I received a lot of pressure to turn in a perfect score on the survey... but I did not receive a perfect buying experience so after a few weeks of thinking about it, I turned it an honest survey to Nissan and I hope they investigate my dealer and help improve them for the future.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 AM

My best guess is the dealers are bonused on their overall score or number of Completely Satisfied scores or something so they try to make you feel as though a less than completely satisfied score on the survey will have dire consequences for them. You should be honest in surveys...if you receive less than perfect service or salesmanship then you should let them know about it...otherwise how would things ever improve?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:19 AM

Agree. My salesperson and subsequent service advisors spend more time pressuring me to give them 100% satisfactory scores than doing their jobs to earn those scores. I was told by them that their bonuses were indeed linked to a completely superior survey result. I got to tell you that I felt if I didn't comply, there would be retribution in how they handled my TSBs or warranty issues. I initially gave my salesperson 100% given the deal they cut me but I regret it given the actual performance of the sales staff. For warranty service, I have not sent these back in given my concerns above. But I may. Nothing will change unless Nissan and their dealers hear the truth. Given Nissan's attitude these days, I unfortunately believe that if scores go low enough, all that will change is that they elminate the survey.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 AM
VQ Wizard

Fill it out and be honest.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by nick778
Agree. My salesperson and subsequent service advisors spend more time pressuring me to give them 100% satisfactory scores than doing their jobs to earn those scores. I was told by them that their bonuses were indeed linked to a completely superior survey result. I got to tell you that I felt if I didn't comply, there would be retribution in how they handled my TSBs or warranty issues. I initially gave my salesperson 100% given the deal they cut me but I regret it given the actual performance of the sales staff. For warranty service, I have not sent these back in given my concerns above. But I may. Nothing will change unless Nissan and their dealers hear the truth. Given Nissan's attitude these days, I unfortunately believe that if scores go low enough, all that will change is that they elminate the survey.
I received the initial "sale" questionnaire but it's funny how I have been back to the dealer over 7 times for warranty work but have yet to get a phone call or letter questionnaire regarding my satisfaction in that area...

Could it be all my bit@#ing over this bad shimmy and vibration problem they/Nissan won't fix????

You are correct in your assumption that if you give the dealer some "constructive criticism" on several surveys they will be less likely to want to work on your car... The truth does hurt them and they try to avoid it...

Nothing like "selective" surveys.... My guess is they already know what my score would be.... :-)

Smitty
Old 10-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I heard the same crap from my salesman....

At work I get evaluated on everything that I do, yet I don't tell everyone that I deal with to give me good ratings. Why should these salesmen be any different?
Bonus checks should be based on an honest evaluation, not whether or not you can convince someone to falsely mark up a survey.

They deserve the truth and if they can't handle it then too bloody bad.

And anyways, I marked my salesman down because he was pushing this survey. I even made a note of it on the survey itself.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:31 PM

I'm not quite sure what to make of this one. I haven't bought a new car for four years, so have only filled out service related surveys lately. I was also given the pitch by the service mgr. - he told me it's called 'top-box' scoring. Very good is considered very bad, only 'excellent' is considered satisfactory.

For what it's worth, the dealership I use is the only one in the state that has recieved a 'Customer First' award from Nissan. It makes me wonder if their service is the best, or their badgering of the customers is the most effective.

I really don't have any gripes about my dealer, and I use them because they're better than the other one that's closer, but I absolutely agree that Nissan would get more useful information if people felt more free to respond genuinely.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:28 PM

And I forgot to mention the little question at the bottom of the new owner survey that says, "Did anyone at the dealership talk to you about this survey? Are you comfortable with what they said, and with the purpose of this survey?". (Boy, I had to bite my tongue with that one. )

Mike
Old 10-28-2003, 02:34 PM

It's all-good for you who sugar coat yours... I **** coated mine. I have never had perfect experiences with any of my dealerships. Whenever I get those surveys, I tell the truth in the lowest light possible. The way I see it is there is always room for improvement. Unless, you come out of that dealership with a big smile on your face, thinking, "Whoa, those are the nicest, most professional people I've met. I think I'll invite them over for dinner, and remember to send them a Christmas card..." your experience wasn't great.

You aren't going to hurt yourself by giving low ratings. You'll actually help yourself.

I had a bad experience at my Mitsubishi dealership, with my eclipse. I got a survey from Mistu, filled it out. I got a call from the general manager of the dealership apologizing for the poor service. (My family has been loyal customers to this place since it has opened) Then, last year, 2 months after my warranty was up, the window motor died. The service manger, came out to the desk when I came to pick it up, and told me that they were going to comp. this 700-dollar job, in hopes to make up for my last service there. Am I happy with this? Yeah. I am still ****ed off about my bad experience there. But I know they went beyond the call of duty to try to make up for it.

I had another bad experience there when I went to buy my Eclipse. They knew they screwed up that deal, when I came in 2 weeks later to have them service the eclipse I bought out of town, because of the pushy salesman. That time, they sent a candy bouquet (like they do to everyone that buys a car from them) and an apology for not making the deal that I wanted. (and they said my deal couldn't be done) :P

I haven't really seen much from the Nissan dealer, but I don't think that they have the same business ethics that my local Mitsubishi dealer has... but that's another story.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It seems like Nissan has their dealers terrorized over this satisfaction survey thing. My dealer told me anything other than "Completely Satisfied" is considered a failing grade, and it is obvious they are really concerned about it. You get the feeling that if you say anything even slightly critical the salesperson will be dragged out and tortured and beaten or something.

The trouble with this is that Nissan isn't really getting the honest, constructive commentary they should be wanting. I mean, after awhile the surveys become meaningless unless someone really has a horrendous dealer experience and rips 'em a new one. Otherwise, all the surveys come in saying "Completely Satisfied" and Nissan is just kidding itself.

I ran the QA operation at my company for several years, and I've gotta tell you - honest feedback is what you need ... not sugar-coated results brought about by dealers begging for a good score.

I mean, I'm glad corporate is checking on the guys in the trenches, but don't you agree the surveys should be a little more ... er, honest?

Mike
You are right! My salesman told me that if I couldn't give him perfect scores, it would be better not to send it in at all. I told him that if he was so concerned about this survey, he would not have tried to pull some sleazy sales tactics like he did. Nissan SHOULD tell their dealers not to beg the customers into filling out perfect scores on the survey. Customers should just fill out the surveys based on facts.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:38 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by MaxPilot
I see no reason not to make it honest. Don't be afraid to tell the truth. The dealer wants you to mark it 100 percent satisfied and will tell you lies about how this reflects only on the poor sales-person. I don't think this is true.

I received a lot of pressure to turn in a perfect score on the survey... but I did not receive a perfect buying experience so after a few weeks of thinking about it, I turned it an honest survey to Nissan and I hope they investigate my dealer and help improve them for the future.

like i saw so many other times....know about the business before you speak......

the survey reflect on the dealership as a whole very minutely.....it does reflect on the salesman more than anything....nissan uses top box scoring.....when you turn in a what you call"truthful" survey...you ****ed the salesman....top box means "pass or fail".....did the salesman fail you in your buying experiance? no ofcourse not.....your not going to buy from someone you dont like....
the salesman recieves about 3/4 of his pay until the survey comes in...if it isnt perfect he doesnt get the other 1/4

you deserve all of your pay at work right?well so does the salesman

thats how he recieves propotions and soforth also.......

it may not be fair but all dealers use top box if they do csi surveys
and its either pass or fail....

now if you want to give a truthfull survey then in the comment section at the bottom write your gripes.....dont **** the salesman....its a job....you have one of those too.and you deserve your money just like he does....

i can speak on this because i started in sales and now im in management.....your surveys hurt him more than they hurt me ...i promise that.....

if you want to **** the salesman then dont do excellant all the way down....if you want to **** the dealership then give excellant and then trash the dealer in the comment section.....the comment section is what nissan looks at as far as what hurts the dealership

might not like what i said
might not believe me

but its the truth
Old 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM

Hold back

My "Dealer buddy" said his dealership has lost as much as $5000 in a single month of "hold back" money due to bad customer surveys. Money Talks!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 PM

I once had a VW salesman essentially "buy" high ratings from me....hey I was going to give him high scores anyway
Old 10-29-2003, 05:11 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by mikmax1
My "Dealer buddy" said his dealership has lost as much as $5000 in a single month of "hold back" money due to bad customer surveys. Money Talks!
hold back has nothing to due with surveys...i promise you...atleast not with nissan or chevy...not sure about your other makers.....

and unless your buddy is a owner he wouldnt know what happens to holdback.....
unless he is talking about the money held back from employees till surveys come in....

if he is talking about dealer hold back it doesnt affect him in anyway and he really has no way of knowing what happens to holdback money.....only the owner of the dealership is gonna see that

i got no problem explaining how the bussiness works.....but dont just assume things.....like i said the comment section is what hurts the dealership.....the rest only hurts the salesman
Old 10-29-2003, 06:21 AM

Not to repeat what everyone has said here but I received the same old blab...I'll lose my job and my kids will starve unless I get perfects on all scores...I will have to go back into training for six months if I don't receive a perfect score. It really became an annoyance with how much they focused on this. So when it came in, I didn't want to screw them so I just didn't send it back. Part of me felt (even though it was anonymous) that if I didn't give perfect scores, they would find out and if I ever went in for service, they might screw with my car even more. Call me paranoid.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey, they chose to get into this sort of business, no one forced them, so no one should force you to give a perfect report. I would think that, as a salesman, if you just focus more on doing the things during a sales pitch that will honestly get you an Excellent rating instead of begging the customer to give a perfect score so much, they'd get more perfect scores. For me, when getting mine, the salesman, first of all I think 3 different sales guys were trying to weasel their way into my sale and I honestly didn't know who my actual "salesman" was, mentioned probably 5 times during the paperwork phase about the survey. That's like my mother standing over my shoulder during my SAT exams reminding me that if I dont get a 1200 or whatever, I wont get into college, I'd almost want to fail on purpose just cuz it would be so annoying.

Do salesman see what the survey questions are? Do they know what they would be graded on? If it were me, Id make sure I knew exactly what the criteria was and make sure that I took care of giving an excellent performance on all of them, not just being a stereotypical car salesman and then trying to make up for it afterwards with bribes or begging.

I didn't give my dealership perfect ratings, most were good, but hey, if my job had these same surveys and I was soooo scared that if I didnt get a perfect score I'd lose salary or whatnot, I'd get a different job. Its not the customer's duty to keep the money flowing into these salesmen, its their own.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 AM

After spending upward to $35,000 why should the customer be pressured. It was mentioned 5 times while buying the car and 3 times during the first service.
My salesman sold 9 new cars this month, and he was good but didn't know anything about the Nav system.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:57 PM

from my understanding Nissan Corp is very particular on there surveys....yes anything less than excellent is considered a failure...the grading system is unfair and i think that no one person has an excellent experience at a dealership......however the i delivered a car to my customer and did not mention "ANYTHING" about the servey........i was notified by my boss that i had failed that survey because i had 1 box checked very good.......as a salesman i think that the grading system for those surveys are ridiculous however Nissan has set the guidelines............we dont get anything out of the surveys so grade it accordingly...however if the sales experience was excellent......the price is excellent.....checking excellent seems fair....choice is yours.........good luck!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:22 PM

I just picked up my brand new car today. First of all, I would just like to say that my dealer was a great guy and I am completely satisfied. Second, the last thing he said to me was that I would be getting a survey in the mail and that I should'nt feel obligated to give excellant for everything but I am going to. I guess all the other dealers are just desperate for good surveys.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:36 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by ranjittx
I just picked up my brand new car today. First of all, I would just like to say that my dealer was a great guy and I am completely satisfied. Second, the last thing he said to me was that I would be getting a survey in the mail and that I should'nt feel obligated to give excellant for everything but I am going to. I guess all the other dealers are just desperate for good surveys.

the why i explain it to a custumer is i tell them about the survey and then tell them about top box scoring that sux...and how it is pass or fail....and say i know i didnt fail you as a salesman......then i give them a card and ask them when the survey comes in if there is a question you cant answer excellant too to call me and give me a chance to make it perfect for you......
i think by doing that i show them im still there for them after the sale...

and it really helps me..
i have the highest csi in the store.....92.3 percent for the year......
but the top box is rediculous....and i agree w most of you it is unfair to ask the customer for all excellants
but its what we have to do....

why screw the salesman out of his little bit of money really?
im telling you filling all the boxes excellant doesnt help the dealership...it helps the salesman....the comment is what hurts the dealer......

oh also i heard some of you saying you wondered if giving a bad survey hurts you?yea it does....and marking confidential doesnt work.....all i have to do is look up the survey number....but when you go to service you normally pay 15% more for parts and you are the last car to get worked on....believe me if you want dont believe me if you dont.....but its the gods honest truth....and its not fair to you ......but its how things work.....
Old 10-30-2003, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by tonylittell
the why i explain it to a custumer is i tell them about the survey and then tell them about top box scoring that sux...and how it is pass or fail....and say i know i didnt fail you as a salesman......then i give them a card and ask them when the survey comes in if there is a question you cant answer excellant too to call me and give me a chance to make it perfect for you......
i think by doing that i show them im still there for them after the sale...

and it really helps me..
i have the highest csi in the store.....92.3 percent for the year......
but the top box is rediculous....and i agree w most of you it is unfair to ask the customer for all excellants
but its what we have to do....

im telling you filling all the boxes excellant doesnt help the dealership...it helps the salesman....the comment is what hurts the dealer......

oh also i heard some of you saying you wondered if giving a bad survey hurts you?yea it does....and marking confidential doesnt work.....all i have to do is look up the survey number....but when you go to service you normally pay 15% more for parts and you are the last car to get worked on....believe me if you want dont believe me if you dont.....but its the gods honest truth....and its not fair to you ......but its how things work.....

I don’t believe that the salesman is the only one affected by the survey. They shouldn’t be because at most dealerships the salesperson is mainly a greeter like at Wal-Mart. They greet you, then try to get you to go on a test drive, then they hit you with “If I can get you the right price, will you buy today?” line. Then if you bite, they start the paperwork, and then turn the negotiation over to the sales manager. They play good-cop bad-cop with the sales manager for a couple of turns in the offer, counter-offer stage. Then that’s it! They lose control over to the sales manager early in the buying process. The sales manager should take a bigger percentage of the heat than the salesperson IMO.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:04 AM

OK, so it seems we have two Nissan salesguys here...one says the survey will affect 25% of his pay and the other says it has no bearing whatsoever on his pay. Interesting...

Further argument that many dealer service departments suck bigtime and why none of us should ever go within 10 miles of them. I was perfectly honest in my survey and gave my salesman mostly excellents and few very goods. Why? Because he didn't know the product as well as he should have and left me to find out some of the answers to my questions by myself. Was he a good salesman? Yes...I wouldn't have bought my car otherwise. Was my experience perfect? No...nothing ever is. I give the sercive department similar scores whenever I get the service surveys too (I've gotten probably a dozen).

If we're truly affecting the salesman's pay then the sales people need to step up to the plate and deliver the best possible sales experience. That is the intent of the survey.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPilot
I don’t believe that the salesman is the only one affected by the survey. They shouldn’t be because at most dealerships the salesperson is mainly a greeter like at Wal-Mart. They greet you, then try to get you to go on a test drive, then they hit you with “If I can get you the right price, will you buy today?” line. Then if you bite, they start the paperwork, and then turn the negotiation over to the sales manager. They play good-cop bad-cop with the sales manager for a couple of turns in the offer, counter-offer stage. Then that’s it! They lose control over to the sales manager early in the buying process. The sales manager should take a bigger percentage of the heat than the salesperson IMO.
This is more at a negotiating store. I also work at a dealership where the prices arent negotiable. We arent paid a comission.Its all about the salesperson, noone else. WE are directly affected by this survey... But we are only affected by 2 questions. IF you were completely satisfied with your BUYING experience, and if you would recommend this dealership as a place to purchase or lease your new vehicle... It has to do directly with the salesperson and the buying experience. And its funny, there are some people who think there is always room for improvement. But to that person chances are you are always going to find something at any dealership no matter how perfect it is.

TDoyle,
you say "Was my experience perfect? No...nothing ever is." and then go on to say "If we're truly affecting the salesman's pay then the sales people need to step up to the plate and deliver the best possible sales experience. That is the intent of the survey." What difference does it make if you are not going to mark COMPLETELY SATISFIED if that is how we get paid. YOU will never be completely satisfied.

There are people who get evaluated everyday like PEETAH says, but does the amount of your paycheck fluctuate with that evaluation? You get fired if you are not meeting expectations. Well with us they cut your paycheck. Its not bonus checks that people get with this. It is their pay. At least in my case.

And its kinda funny people here say that sometimes they are hounded and sometimes noone mentions it at all. Youd be suprised how many people you do backflips for ajd then they go on to put "Very" instead of "Completely" satisfied and it sucks because you remember them and wonder why on earth they would have put that even after all of the things you did for them and then they say " oh this was the best experience ever and you were so helpful yada yada yada". I would rather mention it than not mention, cuz maybe the person will remember how important it is to us.

See and some people are confused about what the survey is there for. THere is the person who lets say was completely satisfied. They left loving you and the car. But then, 1-2 months later something happens to the car. Then they call you back and are like "Hey my car is messed up, and I want to be able to send you a Completely Satisfied Survey "what are you going to do?" This is where that f*cked up side of people come out. Cuz that problem with the car has nothing to do with the buying experience. IT just sucks, cuz at the dealership you see everyones Fukked up side. They leave the dealer and they are a whole different person... But ehhh whaddaya gonna do. I actually like selling cars and helping people thru the process and trying to make it the best experience ever...
Old 10-30-2003, 07:25 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by cwally
This is more at a negotiating store. I also work at a dealership where the prices arent negotiable. We arent paid a comission.Its all about the salesperson, noone else. WE are directly affected by this survey... But we are only affected by 2 questions. IF you were completely satisfied with your BUYING experience, and if you would recommend this dealership as a place to purchase or lease your new vehicle... It has to do directly with the salesperson and the buying experience. And its funny, there are some people who think there is always room for improvement. But to that person chances are you are always going to find something at any dealership no matter how perfect it is.

TDoyle,
you say "Was my experience perfect? No...nothing ever is." and then go on to say "If we're truly affecting the salesman's pay then the sales people need to step up to the plate and deliver the best possible sales experience. That is the intent of the survey." What difference does it make if you are not going to mark COMPLETELY SATISFIED if that is how we get paid. YOU will never be completely satisfied.

There are people who get evaluated everyday like PEETAH says, but does the amount of your paycheck fluctuate with that evaluation? You get fired if you are not meeting expectations. Well with us they cut your paycheck. Its not bonus checks that people get with this. It is their pay. At least in my case.

And its kinda funny people here say that sometimes they are hounded and sometimes noone mentions it at all. Youd be suprised how many people you do backflips for ajd then they go on to put "Very" instead of "Completely" satisfied and it sucks because you remember them and wonder why on earth they would have put that even after all of the things you did for them and then they say " oh this was the best experience ever and you were so helpful yada yada yada". I would rather mention it than not mention, cuz maybe the person will remember how important it is to us.

See and some people are confused about what the survey is there for. THere is the person who lets say was completely satisfied. They left loving you and the car. But then, 1-2 months later something happens to the car. Then they call you back and are like "Hey my car is messed up, and I want to be able to send you a Completely Satisfied Survey "what are you going to do?" This is where that f*cked up side of people come out. Cuz that problem with the car has nothing to do with the buying experience. IT just sucks, cuz at the dealership you see everyones Fukked up side. They leave the dealer and they are a whole different person... But ehhh whaddaya gonna do. I actually like selling cars and helping people thru the process and trying to make it the best experience ever...
very well said
Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 AM

Its a tough situation with these surveys, because 99% of people who fill them out do not know that their responses affect the salesman's pay. Its like when you go to a restaurant, if you are or have been a waiter, or are friends with a waiter, you'll tip more because you realize how much they do for customers, and how little tips they get sometime. If you dont know anyone who works in a restaurant, you may honestly feel that $10 on a $100 bill is enough, because you werent completely satisfied with the service, but you dont realize that they've got 15 other tables and trying to juggle everyone's drink order with yours. You expect that a waiter will focus 100% of their time on you and your guests, and if it feels anything less than that, you take a little off the tip. But people who know will tip 20% even if the service is kinda lousy because you realize how hard they are working.

But with these surveys, yes giving "goods" or "very goods" instead of "excellent" will hurt the salesman and his/her pay, but honestly its not going to help them in the long run because if you give them all excellents, they'll think they're doin everything fine and perfect, since they are getting perfect scores. If you mark a "good" on one item, they'll know thats something they need to work on, and they can focus on improving that aspect of their service to the customer. It does suck though that these surveys are used to punish the salesman, and not to help them improve their service. It gets salesmen feeling like since they can never get ALL excellent ratings no matter how hard they work, why even try? That's bad.... its one thing to dock someone who's getting "unsatisfactory" reviews, but not "very goods".
Old 10-30-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
But with these surveys, yes giving "goods" or "very goods" instead of "excellent" will hurt the salesman and his/her pay, but honestly its not going to help them in the long run because if you give them all excellents, they'll think they're doin everything fine and perfect, since they are getting perfect scores. If you mark a "good" on one item, they'll know thats something they need to work on, and they can focus on improving that aspect of their service to the customer. It does suck though that these surveys are used to punish the salesman, and not to help them improve their service. It gets salesmen feeling like since they can never get ALL excellent ratings no matter how hard they work, why even try? That's bad.... its one thing to dock someone who's getting "unsatisfactory" reviews, but not "very goods".
I understand what you say about how if it wasn't good your are not actually helping, but where I am the questions are.

1."How was your overall buying experince at ________?
2."Would you recommend this dealership as a place to purchase or lease your new vehicle?"

I don't know what Nissans questions are, but there is also COMMENTS section where you can put comments... Everyone including the boss reads them. And your pay doesn't need to be docked for you to do something better or to learn. Thats the purpose of the comments section. At your job,(if you arent the boss) I am sure the boss tells you "You know, we arent doing well this month so lets try and improve by doing this and that" <-=comments section- Not "Hey this month your are gonna get paid less I am not gonna tell you why. I hope you learned your lesson"

Do you think that I or people learn just by being punished pay wise? Most people will learn if they are told right then and there, or if there is more explanation than just a little circle that was filled in "Very Satisfied"... You know, you can tell people as you are buying the car "Hey, you know I really don't think you know about the car or I really dont like the way you are treating me..." To help remedy the situation and to get a completely satisfied I would ask another person to take over. WHY? Because you are not completely satisfied.

Comments that help--> Well my buying experince,yeah I was completely satisfied, but the salesperson could benefit by yada yada yada. Thats why there is a comments section.

I also like to tell guests that its either a pass or fail grade, that nothing in the middle counts. And that is the truth. And as I am showing them the survery and pointing out which questions are most important to me, I ask.."Up until now, have you been completely satisfied?" This can allow them to tell me right then and there.

Yes?! Great! Then if you have been completely satisfied, please go ahead and let them know by filling it out on the survey like that.

No?! Then before we go ahead, what can I do to make sure that you are completely satisfied? I need to make sure that you are completely satisifed before you leave, because this is how I get paid.

One of my co-workers had a guest tell him that he never puts Completely satisfied and he had done everything right... Top seller on the west coast, knows his product, awesome walkaround, personable, you name it. Ended up telling the guy that he wasn't going to be able to sell him the car, because he wouldn't being doing the guest or himself right... ****ed the guest off but what can you do...

Its tough out there. Back in the day car salesmen screwed themselves over by screwing everyone else over. And now, like where I work at (non-commisioned store) we are working double to be able to "Completely Satisfy"...
Old 10-30-2003, 11:13 AM

Yeah I hear ya, it makes no sense to punish a salesman from answers written on a survey, but give them NO feedback whatsoever as to what it was they didnt get the perfect score on, what to do to improve, etc, if in fact that's the case. I filled out my survey and included in the comments section where I wasn't totally satisfied, marks still on the leather when I drove it off, didn't really know who my "salesman" was because there were 2 other sales guys butting their heads in on my deal since I was the only one in the dealership at the time, etc. So hopefully that helped, but yes it would have helped if my salesperson didnt just remind me of the survey, but show me an example of it, ask if I'm happy so far and what he could do if I wasn't, etc.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

After reading...

I agree with some points, disagree with others.

Unfortunately, the surveys do not give a clear break in responsibilities. The salesman is responsible for "selling" me the car. He is not the guy prepping the car for delivery, not in charge of finance (at least mine was not). Some of the questions on the survey (from what I can remember) deal with these areas.

I sure hope that negatives in these areas do not ding the salesman. When my car was delivered, there was a big scuff by the gas tank (discovered w/in 10 minutes after I drove away) and they did not clean the interior. I dinged them for this. I should hate to see the salesman get hurt by this, but its very fair. My car was delivered in LESS than satisfactory condition.

I agree with someone who said I would be VERY intimate with the questionnaire and make sure I address those area correctly. I had one episode with a specific dealer that did 1K of damage to my car. I had digital photos of before and after the work area. After much ****ering and arguing, the SM did realize that he had no case. I was acceptable to the alternatives he suggested, but said for each day he had the car, I get a NEW loaner car. Blah Blah Blah...so on. He knew I was going to get a survey and asked if he could fill it out. I said NO. He negotiated that I fill in all excellents. Since I could not in good faith, I told him...fix the car correctly so that I am happy and don't have to come back and I just wont send it in at all. He did, sorta, and I didn't.

I understand getting dinged for pay. It stinks. But spending gobs of money on a car and not getting what you should or getting harassed or being treated unfairly (some of the BS stories you hear...give me a break). Just sell me the car. Know the car you are selling me and Ill be happy. Give me sob stories, or make **** up to be my best buddy...I will start dissecting your stories and get very irritated.

Long story short. A simple statement that Nissan is looking for all excellents, and that very good is frowned on will suffice. Mention it more than once and you are starting to 1) intimidate the customer 2) irritate the customer 3) make the impression that the customer is not smart enough to understand you point the first time.

Selling cars is hell. Best of luck to all those that do it day in day out.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:47 PM

Man I sure hope someone at Nissan corporate offices is reading this thread!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 PM

This thread just gets more interesting as it gets older. But the more I read, the more I believe that it's the dealership that's setting the expectation, not the salesman.

Here's what I figured out so far.

Dealer tells salesman that you must get all excellents or you don't get x dollars of your pay.

Salesman wants all the money from the sale so he pushes the survey.

Nissan just sends out the survey, records the responses, has some formula that calculates the "boosted" (actual customer survey) vs "real" (real score based on research on how much a customer lies). Dealership is sent both results. Dealership will get "bonus" from Nissan based on "real" results.

Dealership shares the "boosted" result with the salesman, notes that he's excellent in everything but very good in one thing. Tells salesman that he's not getting x dollars. Note that he doesn't tell the salesman the "real" result.

Salesman is screwed out of money. Dealership keeps money and gets richer. Salesman becomes bitter and tells dealership to go **** themselves. High employee turnover rate at dealership is maintained.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:04 PM

My dealer asked me to return the completed survey to him to mail back...Did not , and informed Nissan about it, told them I would not deal with that dealer ever again...
Old 11-07-2003, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by nick778
I agree, you have to fill out the survey truthfully or its not worth anything. I run the survey program where I work and unless you receive honest responses, it's a total waste of time. And with all the service complaints that you read on the org, you have to let them know how they're doing either through the survey, or with your wallet. Otherwise, Nissan service will never improve. And to be honest, I really don't care about the their bonuses. I don't get a bonus where I work, but I still do my best to ensure that our customers are satisfied...because its my job.

If you don't receive good service, let them know with the survey...and I'd even call Nissan Corp. I'm so sick of people who don't do their jobs right...and just punch a timeclock!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Memphoman
My dealer asked me to return the completed survey to him to mail back...Did not , and informed Nissan about it, told them I would not deal with that dealer ever again...

Way to go, bro!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:21 PM

I do agree w/ confidential comment...where I work, we do code our surveys as well. So, instead of trying to fix the problems w/ their sales/service depts, they would rather screw w/ customers?? How sleazy is that?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:30 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by Cdriven
I agree, you have to fill out the survey truthfully or its not worth anything. I run the survey program where I work and unless you receive honest responses, it's a total waste of time. And with all the service complaints that you read on the org, you have to let them know how they're doing either through the survey, or with your wallet. Otherwise, Nissan service will never improve. And to be honest, I really don't care about the their bonuses. I don't get a bonus where I work, but I still do my best to ensure that our customers are satisfied...because its my job.

If you don't receive good service, let them know with the survey...and I'd even call Nissan Corp. I'm so sick of people who don't do their jobs right...and just punch a timeclock!
dood did you read any of my or the other salesmans posts?its not a bonus ...part of our pay is held back until the survey is returned....you get paid to punch a clock...you get paid by either a salery or by the hour.....well we dont...we get paid ONLY by our performance,and ONLY if we sell a car.....if your boss told you ok im im keeping part of your hard earned money because you recieved a survey that wasnt a 100% because a customer didnt think their car wasnt filled totaly up with gas or because they dont remember you telling them their first oil change is already set,or they thought the finance manager tried to trick them into buying a waranty or they didnt like the sales manager....you would be really upset......in most cases the customer liked their salesman but didnt like one part of the dealership...or thought the process took to long....well if you like the salesman give him a excellant survey....its a pass or fail for nissan...i know your salesman didnt fail you (if he did you wouldnt have bought the car) correct? their is a comment section on the bottom of the survey to say all you want.....beat the dealership up there....the survey doesnt hurt the dealership i promise......the salesman works his tail off for the little money he gets.....and in most cases most salesmen do as i did when i sold (in management now) and tell you about the survey and how it works...and tell you if you cant answer excellant to a question to call them and tell them what they need to do to EARN the excellant....i think that is more than fair.....
for the the salesman its pass or fail....the dealership is graded on percentage...and the percentage is a low #...so it is virtually impossible to hurt them because of how low the number is....you are only hurting the salesman......

now if he lied or decieved you then by all means kill him on the survey.....but if you liked him the help him out.......the comment section really works to get a problem straight......i have to make calls all of the time from comments left on the surveys......

ask anyone in the dc forum......i help everybody in here and assist alot of people in their purchase even when it isnt from me....i am not going to lie to you guys...ive got nothing to gain from it.....99% of you wont ever make it to my dealership anyway.....
Old 11-07-2003, 07:48 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

Originally Posted by Cdriven
I do agree w/ confidential comment...where I work, we do code our surveys as well. So, instead of trying to fix the problems w/ their sales/service depts, they would rather screw w/ customers?? How sleazy is that?
whats to fix pal?some people are happy with the service some arent...its like that everywhere.....if i had there was something i didnt like about a product i bought from you and you were honest with me..and for the most part i liked the product i bought ...im gonna do the right thing and give you the excellant survey...you worked hard and deserve it....

you can find fault in EVERYTHING in life....in most cases customers like their buying experiance....

if they didnt like it well shame on them for buying at that store...there is more than one dealership in most towns...should have went there if you thought the experiance would be better.....but you will find fault there too....because nothing is perfect......

as far as trying to screw w customers?well retaliation is everywhere.....fair or not...its human nature...you do it everyday...if you ****ed me on something when you come back im supposed to forget it never happened?...in a perfect world i guess i would....but we arent in a perfect world.....

im not trying to argue im just saying ...put yourself in the salesmans shoes and think how you would feel.....

believe me or not...but ive done nothing but shot everyone straight in this forum..
Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 AM

whats to fix pal?some people are happy with the service some arent...its like that everywhere.....if i had there was something i didnt like about a product i bought from you and you were honest with me..and for the most part i liked the product i bought ...im gonna do the right thing and give you the excellant survey...you worked hard and deserve it....
you can find fault in EVERYTHING in life....in most cases customers like their buying experiance....
if they didnt like it well shame on them for buying at that store...there is more than one dealership in most towns...should have went there if you thought the experiance would be better.....but you will find fault there too....because nothing is perfect......
as far as trying to screw w customers?well retaliation is everywhere.....fair or not...its human nature...you do it everyday...if you ****ed me on something when you come back im supposed to forget it never happened?...in a perfect world i guess i would....but we arent in a perfect world.....
im not trying to argue im just saying ...put yourself in the salesmans shoes and think how you would feel.....
believe me or not...but ive done nothing but shot everyone straight in this forum..
I'm not saying that all car salespersons or service persons suck. I had a great experience when I bought my Max. And the survey I sent in reflected that. But if someone doesn't have a good sales experience, they shouldn't lie on the survey so the salesperson can get his/her "bonus". And as far as retaliation goes...instead of trying to get even w/ a customer, maybe they should think about why the customer gave them a bad rating to begin with. Cause if you're not good at what you do...people will notice.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:06 AM
RDM

My buying experience..horrible

The following is a recap of my purchase of my new 2004 Maxima.

Upon deciding on the Maxima I went to my local dealership in Pasco Washington to buy one. They did not have a Maxima with the Journey package and promised they could get me one with in the next two days. When they called I went down there only to discover the car DID NOT have the Journey package. The sales person represented himself to me as the sales manager but later found out through the real sales manager that he was just a salesman, the real sales manager said there were no Journey packaged Maxima’s in the Northwest he could get. He kept trying to sell me a hail damaged Maxima. Needless to say I left that dealership never to purchase there.

After returning home and I used the Nissan web site to try and locate a SE with Journey package. I was able to find a car that I wanted at Burien Nissan. I set up this deal entirely over the phone on July 3, 2003.

After the price was negotiated I told them I would fly up the next day to pick it up (300 miles away) I made arrangements to be picked up at the airport at 8:30am but upon arrival at Seattle airport and calling the dealership there was no answer on the phone. So I paid to take a taxi to the dealership.

When I arrived at Burien Nissan, the salesman and finance person where not there. I waited about 35 minutes before the sales person finally showed up.

The paperwork and car were supposed to be ready to go, it was not. The sales manager showed up shortly after this wearing sweat pants, a t-shirt, and baseball cap looking like he had not been to sleep yet. He started taking information from me that was supposed to be done already. At this point I was told that the finance person was not going to be in until 10:00am. Since I had arranged my own financing before I flew up there this was frustrating.

After waiting an hour at the dealership I was informed that the lady was running late and would not be here until 11:00am…another hour to wait. When the lady showed up she was under the impression that all the information had been entered into the computer, it had not. As she took me back to her office the Sales manger guy was laying on the couch in there. So I just waited outside for her to finish so I could get my car and the hell out of there.

Burien Nissan was unable to produce for me a second key for the Maxima so it was promised to me in the purchase agreement. As of today I still do not have that second key. I sent the letter below to Burien Nissan via their web site on July 14, but have yet to hear from anyone.

As part of my purchase agreement when I picked up my new Maxima July 4th, your dealership agreed to supply me with the second key for this new vehicle. Instead of finding this second key as agreed upon, your dealership kept insisting that I visit my local dealership here in Pasco Washington to have the second key made. I let it be known that I did not want to deal with them because of the bad experience in trying to purchase my new Maxima there.

Wednesday afternoon I took a half of day off work to go and have this key made, the local dealership did make a new key and told me to keep the keys away from each other which I did. Upon going to work the next day my wife was left stranded because this second key did not work, this caused her to miss work that day.

This issue with the second key has cost my wife and I time and money from missing work, as of today I still do not have a second key for the vehicle, and it looks as if I have to miss another half of day of work to go to a dealership I hate and ask them to reprogram the key again. I hope all Nissan dealerships are not like this, purchasing a $35,000 car should not cause these headaches one week after the purchase.

Bottom line, this is the most expensive car I have ever bought at $32,300. I am disgusted with the purchase experience. If it wasn’t for the fact that I wanted this car I would not have put up with half of this. I should have bought the Acura TL, the Acura dealership was professional, and helpful, yours is not!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Sometime, honestly its like hit or miss.
Not to get off topic here, but how do you like the '04 Max?

Quick Reply: This dealer survey thing