6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

dash creak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dash creak

I've got a persistent but intermittent dash creak in my '04 Maxima. It started minutes after I leased the car and drove it off the lot! It seems to be coming from where the windshield meets the dash on the passenger side. I can't hear any noise coming from inside the dash. My dealer has installed special tape at the joint where the A-pillar trim meets the Dash. But that did not do the trick. It also seems to come and go with temperature changes. Anyone else heard this rattle? Any suggestions from other Nissan Service Experts? I need to fix this before it drives me INSANE! Thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:13 PM

I thought I had a dash creak too, and it was driving me insane. It seemed to be coming from around the dash, but only happened when I went over bumps, therefore I had to be moving and it wasn't safe for me to be sticking my head around the windshield/dash area to find it, so I had to get other people to ride with me and do that while I hit all the bumps. Turns out the clip that holds the sun visor on above my head was loose and just needed to be tightened with a screwdriver. Everyone thought it was coming from the windisheild/dash area too though, so we didn't even think to look up there. Maybe that's yours too - hope so, was an easy fix.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:13 AM

On a bumpy road, go slow and pop your hood. If the noise stops It could be the hood where it makes contact with the body. Mine is doing that and I plan on making sure the rubber spacers are properly installed.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:48 PM

Not exactly sure where all the 'creaks and squeaks' are comin' from, but overall I think Nissan did a very poor job of securely tightening the entire interior. Getting out of my friend's A4 and into my Max...it just sounds and feels like a rattlebox. Must be all those cheap plastic compenents they use. I can move my center console about 1 inch to the left or the right just pushing on it. Very poor manufacturing job IMO! The car just doesn't feel 'tight' like it should after only 3 months.