6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

After the Rear Package Fix, then what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:57 AM

After the Rear Package Fix, then what?

Well although the rear package shelf "Rattle fix" did reduce the problem, unfortunately it did not eliminate it. Does anyone have any idea where to go now to eliminate this annoying problem. I hear the rattle as the car goes over ridges in the road. In fact, if you bang on the rear package shelf you can still hear noises. I know they installed the pad since I can feel it and see evidence of it.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take it back again. Make sure you take the service advisor out to the vehicle to show him the problem.

Or take it to another dealer if you're not confident they'll solve the problem.

On a related note, my previously fixed parcel shelf is now making lots of noises. I think its due to the adhesive coming off in the cold. It sounds like tape being pulled off a surface every time I hit a bump. I'll be sure to get the dealer to look at it again, and see if they have any 3M product that would adhere better in cold weather.

CM.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima04
Well although the rear package shelf "Rattle fix" did reduce the problem, unfortunately it did not eliminate it. Does anyone have any idea where to go now to eliminate this annoying problem.
My guess is that if you check closer the rattle is the high-mount stop light hitting the underside of the rear window. My SEelite has this problem and the only way I fonud to gt it to stop was to remove the rear high-mount light, install two clear rubber cabinet bumpers at the upper corners of the light housing, (bumbers available at Lowes) and reinstall the light. The bumpers are the right size and thickness to insulate the housing from the window and are barely visible from the outside of the car. My car goes in next week for the deck repair and I am taking additional bumpers with me so the tech can reinstall the bumpers when he finishes foaming the underside of the deck.

Will post and let all know what they messed up in the process (hopefully not). Hope this solution works for you as it did me...
Old 11-14-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
My guess is that if you check closer the rattle is the high-mount stop light hitting the underside of the rear window. ..
I'll give it a try, thanks. My only concern here is I think when I had the stop light off and hit the deck with my hand, I heard the same vibration/rattle. I'll try it again to be sure. It sounds to me more like a metallic vibration.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:19 PM

I think I'll perform the TSB myself. The insulation wraps for water pipes which are made out of polyurethane would seem to work better (after they're cut up to fit) than the felt strips that's applied per the TSB.

This would also give me a good enough reason to change the speakers at the same time.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:11 PM

Why change the speakers? And aren't they some freaky low impedance speakers?

CM.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:58 AM

My guess is that if you check closer the rattle is the high-mount stop light hitting the underside of the rear window. My SEelite has this problem and the only way I fonud to gt it to stop was to remove the rear high-mount light, install two clear rubber cabinet bumpers at the upper corners of the light housing, (bumbers available at Lowes) and reinstall the light. The bumpers are the right size and thickness to insulate the housing from the window and are barely visible from the outside of the car. My car goes in next week for the deck repair and I am taking additional bumpers with me so the tech can reinstall the bumpers when he finishes foaming the underside of the deck.

Will post and let all know what they messed up in the process (hopefully not). Hope this solution works for you as it did me...
You NAILED it! That was the issue!!! I inserted, on a temporary basis, a couple of foam strips on either side of the light. Took the car out and haven't heard a noise back there since! Thanks for a great suggestion! Anyone else that hears "unidentified" noises from the rear (even if you've had the TSB fix) really should try this quick and easy solution. Nissan needs to read this. It is absolutely amazing how this contributes to a feeling of a tight well built car!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

one week after getting the car i began to hear this noise. where is the tsb so i can have a look. I am freaking out with that SHI*
Old 12-01-2003, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima04
You NAILED it! That was the issue!!! I inserted, on a temporary basis, a couple of foam strips on either side of the light. Took the car out and haven't heard a noise back there since! Thanks for a great suggestion! Anyone else that hears "unidentified" noises from the rear (even if you've had the TSB fix) really should try this quick and easy solution. Nissan needs to read this. It is absolutely amazing how this contributes to a feeling of a tight well built car!
Really glad that it worked - enjoy the sounds of silence!! It's a simple fix for a really irritating issue...
Old 12-01-2003, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Why change the speakers? And aren't they some freaky low impedance speakers?

CM.
Actually yes, the speakers on the bose systems run at 1 ohm. To effectively replace them you would need to tap into the line coming out the the amplifier mounted under the rear deck with a line output converter and run them to an after markert amplifier then run those to new speakers. I don't know of any manufacturer who produces 1 ohm after market speakers. By the way the speakers on the rear deck are 8" subs.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:41 AM

Really glad that it worked - enjoy the sounds of silence!! It's a simple fix for a really irritating issue...
My solution for this was two fold. After taking the car to the dealer twice to fix it according to the TSB and still having the rattle I removed the rear parcel shelf myselft, I installed dynamat under the rear parcel shelf and then strips of foam insulator between the rear brake light then and the rear window. This got rid of all the rattle coming from the rear, now if I could only get rid of the rattle coming from other places in the car I would be happy.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:34 AM

I had that problem back in June when I first got the car.. brought it back Nissan 2X before they finally added some "extra foam" under the rear deck lid which has worked and removed the annoying noise
Old 12-01-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ksin291
My solution for this was two fold. After taking the car to the dealer twice to fix it according to the TSB and still having the rattle I removed the rear parcel shelf myselft, I installed dynamat under the rear parcel shelf and then strips of foam insulator between the rear brake light then and the rear window. This got rid of all the rattle coming from the rear, now if I could only get rid of the rattle coming from other places in the car I would be happy.

ksin291,
Could I request that you post a narrative on the removal / install procedure for the rear parcel shelf?? Attachment points, do's and don'ts etc. Sounds like you have some experience with the job :-)

Thanks in advance

Smitty
Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Banned

I can't turn my Bose system up to the limit without the P-Shelf shaking like crazy (December build with the "fix"). Luckily I don't play my music as loud as I used to, but could see that this might be a problem for some of the younger crowd and aftermarket audiophiles.

I would not recommend placing foam between the rear brake light and rear glass if you are pushing a lot of bass out of your stereo system on a regular basis. More than likely you will either break the glass or the plastic on the brake light.

Anyway, foam is not addressing the actual problem, just the sympton. A solution would be to take the rear deck trim built for the sunshade
(minus the shade and mechanisms) and place a rectangular shaped structural member across the top of the P-Shelf in its place.

There is room for one and I may try this in the summer. Anybody with a garage and a sunshade they don't need are welcome to investagate this idea before then if they wish!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaydabee
I can't turn my Bose system up to the limit without the P-Shelf shaking like crazy (December build with the "fix"). Luckily I don't play my music as loud as I used to, but could see that this might be a problem for some of the younger crowd and aftermarket audiophiles.

I would not recommend placing foam between the rear brake light and rear glass if you are pushing a lot of bass out of your stereo system on a regular basis. More than likely you will either break the glass or the plastic on the brake light.

Anyway, foam is not addressing the actual problem, just the sympton. A solution would be to take the rear deck trim built for the sunshade
(minus the shade and mechanisms) and place a rectangular shaped structural member across the top of the P-Shelf in its place.

There is room for one and I may try this in the summer. Anybody with a garage and a sunshade they don't need are welcome to investagate this idea before then if they wish!

Make sure the clips that hold the rear shelf down are really engaged in the holes. When I got my "fix" done, the highly skilled Nissan techs did not get the clips back into the holes which allowed the rear part of the shelf to "float".
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 PM
*moderator*

I don't really hear a rattle with the stereo off, it's just when the bass hits (I added to 10's in the trunk) It's so annoying...I need to go to the dealer to see if they can fix it, the first time!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My rear deck rattle came from the metal plate around the rear seat trunk access hatch. Remove the rear seat and then the seat back. The top right nut attaching the plate to the frame was loose.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by prinsze
My rear deck rattle came from the metal plate around the rear seat trunk access hatch. Remove the rear seat and then the seat back. The top right nut attaching the plate to the frame was loose.
I hope this helps the OP in 2003.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM

I was just looking at mine this morning, I did the socks into the holes under the brake light fix. I think its better, about 90% gone but not a total fix.

Prinsze, do you find the bolt by folding down the seat or do you have to remove it?